August 20, 2014 | 2099 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2010 1:15:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I keep hearing that primers are supposed to help even out your skin. That they're there to give you a good base for your make-up to sit on top of. That it helps your make-up go on smoother and keeps the make-up on longer. It did none of that and I broke out like crazy from this!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2010 1:55:00 AM More reviews by cjgrrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've read alot of reviews regarding this product and how it's comparable to the smashbox photo finish etc, but I have to say, yes it may be cheaper and may do a good job but quality wise it doesnt compare to SB. No, i dont work for smashbox or anything like that but i know that the quality of ingredients in the SBPF are superior to what the monistat product contains. there are many grades of silicone and SB uses only the finest grades available. hey, its your face, but personally for my skin and face, I'll stick to smashbox. Quality wins out for me!!
sbpf ingred.-
Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Propylene Glycol, Water, Grape Seed Extract, Kolanut Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract
Monistat ingred-Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Trisiloxane, Dimethicone/Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2010 3:58:00 AM More reviews by Miamituscani

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Personally this is not a product that I use on a daily basis, because I have dry skin. This primer works perfectly for those long Miami nights out or even a boating trip. It does make my make up last longer and go on smoother, but doesn't help with those fine lines.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/5/2010 10:29:00 PM More reviews by PixiesMama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

sigh. i just this moment realized that THIS product is the one that's been making me break out for a month or so. (thankfully, i don't use it often at all!) even so, i had the same experience as many others, breaking out in large, cystic (and almost immediate!) pimples in odd places that are usually somewhat dry for me (cheeks, middle of chin, etc). previously i had great skin and am hopeful that now that i have realized this is likely the culprit to my problems, AND that i have discovered queen helene and her magical green monster mask, my skin will be back to normal.

i'm now on the hunt for a good primer for oily gals with no silicone or dimethicone...

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2010 11:19:00 PM More reviews by Brendonoahsmom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Tan, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is pretty good make up primer. It makes my skin look silky. Although it smells like GASOLINE i like it. Its not that expensive and one tube goes a long way.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2010 11:01:00 PM More reviews by caleee143

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been reading the reviews here for a while before jumping in and buying it and I'm glad that I decided to purchase this. I never would have thought of this but I did my makeup at 11 this morning and by 9:30 tonight my makeup looked just as good. The most noticeable thing was that my BB pot rouge did not fade at all and my cheeks were glowing all day. The only problem I had was that I couldn't feel it as I was applying it so I just had to trust that my entire face was covered. It felt a little funny buying it but it's worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2009 12:49:00 PM More reviews by Amscee

This stuff is fantastic!! So much cheaper than Smashbox's Photo Finish Primer, and works just as well, if not better. The consistency of the Powder-Gel is a bit thicker than the Photo Finish Primer, but it is also a little smoother. It has yet to make me break out, and feels very silky and smooth on my skin. It acts as a really nice barrier between my skin and any foundation, concealer, or powder that I happen to have on and keeps the oil away for several hours more than just a mattifying powder itself. It is a big tube, and only about $10 at some drugstores, however I haven't seen it anywhere lately. I hope they haven't discontinued it here!
The bottle is a bit embarrassing, with "MONISTAT" written all over it, but this stuff works amazingly well as a really effective face primer!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2009 12:36:00 PM More reviews by sparklehead

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

As everyone else has said, this works exactly the same as Smashbox's Photo Finish. When I first bought it I put Smashbox's original Photo Finish on half my face and Monistat on the other half and then did my makeup normally. I checked regularly and at the end of the day and there was absolutely no difference between how the two performed. I asked other people to see if one half looked better than the other and no one saw anything different.

The Monistat gel is thicker than Smashbox's and there is a slight difference in what I'll call oiliness for lack of another word, although it's not really accurate. However, once they dry, they dry to the same finish and there is no difference in how they feel on my face or in how my skin handles them. Neither has made me break out.

I am so excited about this product I think I've made random strangers uncomfortable telling them about it! I just can't help myself. The last time I was at Sephora a woman was asking about the Smashbox primer and the SA didn't know the answer so when he left to get another SA I answered her question and then told her to just get Monistat Chafing Relief instead - she bought the Smashbox and looked at me like I was insane!

I must say that I hate having a Monistat product sitting on my vanity for anyone to see, it's just not the greatest. I went to Michaels and bought a little glass jar and squeezed the tube out into it. It's much more attractive but it's not as sanitary as a tube so I'm going to keep looking out for alternative packaging/storing options. I saw that someone else uses an empty Smashbox dispenser, that would work perfectly if you have one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2009 1:36:00 AM More reviews by KaiserMimiVII

I felt like I had stumbled upon a great secret when I heard about using this product as a primer. Then I was a little angry inside, because I felt like I had been cheated all those times I bought expensive primer.
Compared to Smashbox Photo Finish- it's slightly thicker, a bit more cloudy and smells like baby powder. However, upon applying it to the skin (in my case, combination skin that is quite sensitive) the two feel absolutely the same. Sometimes makeup triggers my allergies or severe breakouts, but I find that if I have this on underneath, it forms almost a safe barrier- leaving my easily angered skin soft and silky. It diffuses my makeup, leaving a beautiful matte texture that I can feel and makes my mineral makeup last longer than it does on its own.
The best part is the cost and the availability. I bought it for $6 at Target and I see it all the time at CVS and other drug stores. The only downside I find is that I get a little embarrassed of the Monistat brand- and all that implies, I want to blurt out to the cashier-"It's not yeast medication! It's for my face! Not that my face chafes.. but.. never mind..."

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2009 8:00:00 AM More reviews by Ryleen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So, I stumbled across the idea of Monistat chafing gel as a primer a few months ago and thought it was interesting, but didn't make any effort to purchase. I had primer left - why wouldn't I finish that up? Anyway, now that it's all gone, I'm trying this. I've used it about 4 times and lemme just say, this works 10x better than any other primer I've used/tested (Smashbox, Sephora, ELF, Hard Candy...). It really lasts all day and gives a nice finish, even if you're not going to put foundation on. In fact, 2/4 times I've worn it, I didn't even put foundation on because it gave me such a nice, dewy glow. AWESOME idea.