MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 2/10/2011 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oily Eyelids beware! Paint pots will probably crease on you :( I had gotten this because I had run out of UDPP. The first time I tried it alone and it creased by the time I got to work. The second time I put a face primer on my lids put a thin layer of my foundation (which is for oily skin) set it with powder, put painterly on my lids then set it. Then applied my eyeshadow. Guess what? it still creased by the time I got to work. I returned it today the MA suggested that I try the bare canvas paint because its more matte, we'll see how that goes. Also I wasn't a fan of the paint pot packaging, I guess you could technically use a brush but I prefer to use my finger to apply bases/primers.

on 2/7/2011 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was having my eyes done at Laura Mercier when I told the MA I have very oily lids. She said told me I'm not supposed to use other brands, but this product is really good. I've tried all the usual eye primers, but I love this one because I can wear it alone with eyeliner when I want a natural look. It makes me look less tired, years younger (look at children with beautiful skin. Their eyelid color matches the rest of their face and isn't darker). Plus, with my extremely oily lids they stay matte throughout the day.
I'm not even a paintpot fan, but I love this one and will repurchase again.

on 2/5/2011 7:18:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this not knowing what the heck it was for. In the rack where the paint pots were, there was no Painterly, but I'd read the reviews and wanted to try it. The other paints were pretty sheer and somewhat waxy in texture. I did manage to try the paint pot in Bare Study to at least get some idea of the opacity and texture. The SA said that it's a 'primer' -- I was skeptical, because it set up instantly. But then I got home and tried it... and now I get it. The area around my eyes is brighter -- something I've tried to effect with various combinations of foundation and eyeshadow with very mixed results, but nothing compared to this. The darker shadow blended into the paint quite smoothly. I, too, will be wearing this even when I don't wear shadow at all.

on 2/5/2011 3:13:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is one product I would not be without in my makeup bag. I use it underneath eye shadow and it holds them all day. If I'm in a hurry, I use it alone and it refreshes my eyes and evens the skin tone. I even use it underneath the eyes and oddly, I also use it to reduce redness on other spots of my face (very fair skin). LOVE this product!!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Am NC30 neither cool nor warm toned. It looks purplish-grey taupe on my lids. Tested this on one eye and another with UD Eye primer. No creasing on either one for 10hrs (and I worked out at the gym but didn't touch it up afterwards). After 10hrs, I noticed some creasing on the inner corner but so slight that only my magnifying mirror saw it. I wanted something that evened out my lids which tend to darken after a couple of hours. This made my eyeshadow pop. Matches my eyelid so could wear it alone. A little goes a long way so I'll be repurchasing as it's cheaper than UD Primer. This one pot may see me until next year...

on 1/29/2011 8:12:00 PM

I wear this daily underneath my eyeshadow. It wouldn't be a very exciting colour on its own, but it works to bring out the true colour of the eyeshadow, and it makes it last all day. I used to use the paint tubes, which worked equally well (if not a bit better) but this packaging is much more convenient and means it lasts longer. I'd recommend it to keep your makeup on during the day. I've even used it with very cheap quality eye shadows, and it really increases their staying power.

on 1/28/2011 6:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I cannot wear Painterly by itself because I will look like I have vitiligo or like a reverse panda or raccoon but I love Painterly because of course it really does keep the eye makeup all on for hours and hours but also it really make the eye shadow, even very dark-colored eye shadow, pop out and become more noticeable.

A MAC MUA recommended this to me and if she wouldn't have, then I would never even look at Painterly or think of even buying it!

on 1/28/2011 2:57:00 PM

I really like this! This is my first Paint Pot (received it as a gift). I really like using it as a base - makes my eyeshadow last longer and allows the colors to "come to life." I tend do more natural looks when I wear makeup so this is perfect for my light skin. I read that some reviewers were having problems with creasing, but I do not have oily lids and have not experienced any creasing. When I'm running out the door (and don't have time to put on a full face of makeup) I use a little on my lids and underneath because it covers up the redness in the eye area really well. A little bit goes a long way with this stuff. I would recommend this product and will replace it when it runs out!

on 1/22/2011 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is great for a clean simple base on the eye. I have to wear it with some kind of primer underneath or it creases on my very oily lids. By the end of the day I notice some creasing underneath right above the inner corner of my eye, but nothing terrible. It last longer if I set it with e/s.

I use this a lot for my signature black cat eye liner look. It matches my NW15ish skin very well, and just makes my eye look nice and clean. The texture is lovely, but still lasts a while. The jar is very solid and sturdy looking, but you need to make sure to close it tightly.

It's a solid, workhorse type of product. Nothing fancy, but does the job well.

First paintpot I ever used. Went well with my olive skin tone.

Popular Eye Shadows