October 20, 2014 | 1741 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2008 11:42:00 PM More reviews by birdmadgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the first mineral product I've purchased. I'd been eyeballing the expensive stuff at Sephora, but it all seemed too dark/yellow on my ghostly white skin. There was no way I was going to drop $60 on something that made me look dirty. Then, I started eyeballing the cheaper brands (Revlon, L'Oreal), but again, the colors just looked wrong. A few weeks ago, I was looking for a new lip color and saw this Physicians Formula product. I saw a really light-colored jar (Translucent), and decided to give it a try. I'm pretty happy with it. It definitely is a good match for me color-wise. I just think I need to work on the application. Sometimes, it just looks kind of chalky on me. Perhaps it's the brush--I'm still using the one that came with the powder, and it's short and stubby and sort of rough. I'm going to try a different brush and see how things look. I have extremely oily skin, but I can wear this for several hours before I start to shine. I don't think this is my HG foundation (I don't think there is one for me. I've tried just about everything under the sun!), but it's not bad.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2008 11:08:00 AM More reviews by MomColors

Soft Ivory Mineral Loose Powder Talc-Free is the product I am reviewing. What a great powder. I hate powder because I find it drying and too ghostly on my freckled 40 year old skin. But after trying to find a drugstore foundation that would please me I gave up on the foundation and decided to try the powder on a whim. And the reviews here were rave. The brush stinks but the powder is terrific even with the terrible brush. It tones down the broken capillaries, it feels like nothing on my skin and not drying at all. I can't imagine a powder at twice the price that I would like more. The coverage is minimalist which I love and it goes on quickly. I love this stuff. Try it and I think you will too!

Update: I took this down a lippie.
It's sitting on top of my skin and bugging me. But I think I notice it I don't think anyone else does. And it can be applied in 30 seconds or less and is goof proof.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2008 5:17:00 PM More reviews by Dawn_Sierra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Yeah! My first review! :D

Well not only have I used it and been pleased with it I went back and got some more. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to try out minerals or anyone looking for something for acne prone skin. Here are the pros and cons..

Pros:
Its inexpensive considering how much you get. I think I paid between $10 and $12 which is typical but it LASTS. It doesn't break me out unless I wear it for an extended length of time and even then very little. I can't afford the pricier mineral products so I thought this would be a good one to start with and it was. I'm quite pleased with it overall but I do have my issues with it.
Oh! Also if you have a special occasion and you need a little extra cover you can wear this over a liquid/etc foundation for more coverage. (Just be careful not too use too much and practice prier.)

Cons:
Now as I mentioned it will break me out a little bit if I wear it for a long time. (8 hours - maybe 1 tiny whitehead)
However my biggest complaint about this product is it does NOTHING to help with oil control. I would strongly urge those with oily skin to wear an oil control lotion or perhaps try some oil blotting cloths. After I wear this for 10 minutes or so I get kind of a oily mud slick look which highlights all of my flaws. Ew! I still continue to use the product though being its honestly the best thing I've found. I really need an oily skin control solution within my price range though to make this really and truly work for me. For now its this or nothing.. (like nothing was an option! lol)
(Thinking of trying for the liquid formula next chance I get, possibly using both together.)
I bought a color up from the lightest and I've come to find its a bit dark on me; whereas the lightest was a bit light. Physician's Formula never has been good with color IMO. My first foundation from them back in the day turned out to be ORANGE. Seriously, I looked like Ernie. lol Long time ago.. anywho..
Oh and that little brush that comes with it.. don't bother! I swear that thing is made from pine needles. Bleh! I knew it was crap the moment I saw it and bought a kabuki brush that same day. lol
Also I should mention I have dark circles and it CAN make my under eye area look a bit like a sharpei with eczema if I put too much. I just have to use a light hand. (And continue my never ending quest for a good dark circle concealer.)

Word to the wise... less is more! This WILL get cakey if you apply too much. Use less.. let it settle...

Overall if you've got very bad skin and need some kind of makeup foundation... this works. It just needs a side kick.. ;)

UPDATE 5-21-10:

Well I've been using this stuff for a long time now. I think it may be time for a change.

I had just tried to settle with the fact that my face is going to SHINE however I'm thinking there MUST be a foundation out there that won't make the texture of my skin look worse rather than better. Also, and this COULD be due to the fact I'm pregnant, I've been having more of a problem with this turning dark/orange on my skin after not wearing it long at all. Dark shiny, somewhat orange colored makeup that highlights my every flaw wasn't exactly what I was going for.

I've decided to try out Mary Kay's loose mineral foundation and see how that works out. Also I ordered the skin care kit #3. So (fingers crossed) hopefully that will work out. It all costs more than I'd usually pay but I'm tired of friends and family telling me my makeup isn't doing me any favors. (In fact I've been told I look OLDER when I wear makeup.)

Overall I'd say you get a lot for the money but you also get what you pay for.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2008 12:47:00 AM More reviews by mg84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

When i first purchased this and tried it out, i felt sort of indifferent about it overall. I think I had expected this powder to make a bigger difference, but it ended up looking like a regular powder to me. I felt bad because it was pretty expensive - yet i wasn't using it at all. But, many months later, I decided to give it another try, and now i find myself using it on most days. I don't know how this happened, lol. I usually apply some right after washing and moisturizing my face now. I find that it evens out my skin pretty nicely, and the redness on my cheeks (from past or present acne) is not as visible. The powder is pretty fine-milled and it hasn't irritated my acne-prone skin. The packaging is ok too - it seems a little big, but i've gotten used to it. I usually apply this all over my face with a large and dense powder brush and it works well :]. Hmm, what else to say..I think that it's a pretty reliable product, and it will last for a pretty long time, too. I'm sure there are many nice loose powders out there, too, but for now, i'm good with this one. I'm glad that i've given it another chance. I have this in Buff Beige.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2008 1:51:00 AM More reviews by Taliw

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This was my first mineral powder, and I'm in love with it now. I had been using Covergirl pressed powder which I needed to reapply about 4 times a day, and it didn't even set my concealer. Now I reapply like twice a day, or I can just blot. Myabe concealer stays set all day long, so all I need to reapply for is the shine. I've alos noticed that my crazy acne prone skin has started to calm down a little bit too. The only thing that sucks with this product is the packaging. I hate the brush that comes with it, as does everybody else by the sounds of it, and I hate the method of dispensing. But that won't stop me from buying it again. I love it.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2008 12:07:00 AM More reviews by munkyfusic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is ok for me. At first it looks decent on my skin, but after a few hours my skin gets very shiny and oily. It looks like I have dirt smeared on my face when I wear it (it looks dirty, I didn't get the wrong shade or anything). The packaging is a great idea though.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2008 7:51:00 PM More reviews by sangee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i needed a new loose powder and im not reeli fond of talc, so i went 2 a drugstore to purchase a talc-free powder and this was d only one tht did not contain talc and had reasonable price. i used this in light which has nice yellow-tone under it, other shades had orangey-pink Cover Girl tones in it. it was a reasonable powder but i stopped wearing it and left in d corner of my room. then i read som of d reviews from mua and found out tht a lot of ppl use this as a mineral foundation instead of just powder. So i've got my brush out and applied d way i'd apply mineral foundation. it looked so good i regreted tht i used this only lyk 5 times after i bot it. it has medium coverage tht covers my acne scarrings and if i use my finger or concealer brush to apply with, it camouflages my dark circles and pimples well. i thot packaging was nice, powder wasnt flying everywhere, but just a normal screw-top shifter jar is much more easy to use than this dome shaped jar. so i transsfered some of my powder to an empty shifter jat, now its much easier to use. as every1 agree d little brush tht comes wit d powder is too rough, i threw mine out too. since it matches my skintone well and offers decent coverage with reasonable price, it was an ok product nothing spcl.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2008 8:49:00 PM More reviews by itshannah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reacting horribly to BE products, I decided to give mineral makeup another try... did some research on MUA.... and was turned onto PF because it's supposedly gentler on the skin AND it's easily accessible at the local DS. So far so good. SAme effects as BE, only no breakouts. Yes, the brush is horrible, but other than that... I think I've found my HG mineral foundation! EDIT: eh, i'm not liking the oiliness of it all after an hour or so. How do you prevent that?

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2008 3:39:00 PM More reviews by bumble17

I'm using this product as a back up until I decide which shade of foundation to buy from Everyday Minerals, and when that time comes i'll be ordering their custom kit. I've ordered some samples so far and want to make sure i use the right shade before i order the large size... and while physicians' formula has been good for me so far (goes on smoothly, easy to apply, no breakouts) it's way too pricey compared to Everyday Minerals.. I bought it for 18.99 CDN which i find unreasonable since for $32, everyday gives you any selection of SIX products on their site , including foundations, eyeshadows, makeup brushes, concealers and blushes!! What a steal!! and they only use all-natural ingredients so it's much healthier for your skin than alot of drugstore makeup.. i highly recommend checking out their website www.everydayminerals.com.
Oh and i don't know why there are still 5 lippies since i gave packaging only 1 lippy.. the packaging sucks!!! powder flies all over the place no matter how carefully i remove the lid.. i recommend using another plastic container if you have one around the house.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2008 11:42:00 AM More reviews by reasonle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

like the other mineral wear products, this has not made me break out and has improved the texture of my skin. it covers well, and i use this as a setting powder for the fdn mixed with moisturizer. do not use the brush it comes with, it is really rough and just, not good. use a normal powder brush. this gives a nice dewy finish. i got buff beige, and it matches my med light warm skin.

*EDIT* i realized that this makes my skin much more oily, so i think this would be good for those with parched skin. so im lowering my rating from a 5 to a 3.