September 3, 2014 | 933 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2011 5:45:00 PM More reviews by basmah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I use coconut oil for my hair and my body (and cooking, but that's not what I'm going to review here). I have very fine hair that lacks volume. I use coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment on dry hair, just on the lower pony tail section of my hair and it is really moisturizing, but it also makes my hair feel thicker, which I love. i also have very dry skin on my body and I like using this occasionally after I get out of the shower on damp skin. For some reason it makes the KP on my upper legs (I don't have KP anywhere else) disappear, which obviously is a good thing. It is also very moisturizing. However, I do find it quite messy, which is the only down side I can think of. Would repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2011 5:51:00 AM More reviews by cassiopeya

I use this on my curly hair because it tends to be very dry and i have split ends. I think it works very good though i do not know if it works better on wet or dry hair, i use a tiny bit after washing my hair and than again a pea size amount after letting it dry. You have to figure out how much oil your hair needs and the first times your hair can look greasy if you use just a little bit too much. I know there are a lot of peope who hate the coconut smell but i love it! Sometimes i just want to eat it because it smells so sweet and tasty. I am using a european natural cosmetics brand named "Logona" right now and the coconut oil should be only used as a hair or skin treatment and not for cooking. It is very good but maybe i will try out a different coconut oil (for cooking) type because it is cheaper. So far i really recommend trying it out if your hair has dry ends!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2011 11:35:00 AM More reviews by DollParts7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Well, I use Parachuute, 100% Coconut Oil. I used it once on wet hair, and once on dry hair.

I have very curly hair (3b, and I'm Russian!) that's kind of unusual, (no one else in my family has it) so no one else knows how to care for it.

Well, my mother worked for an Indian woman who used this on her hair, which was wavy. My mother thought it would work out for me.

On wet hair, it makes it soft, and nice. I slept on it, and woke to STILL perfect hair. It was shiny, and pretty!

However, I CANNOT stand the smell of this. I hate coconuts and it's just something I cannot get over. I realized just how much I hated it, today, when I slathered it all over my dry hair, as a deep conditioner. I left it on for 20 minutes (wrapping my head in a towel) and then showering.

So far, it's very shiny. Almost too shiny. But it's soft, bouncy, and doesn't smell like coconut! (thank goodness!)

Overall, I might use it as a detangler only, and not a leave in treatment. Too much is bad! It's also good for moisturizing, but I wouldn't put it near my face!

On the packaging however, the Parachuute packaging for this is HORRIBLE! I had to put the bottle in hot water so that the temperature raised a little and it wasn't as solid. It's impossible to get anything out of that tiny little opening! I like the squeeze bottle idea, so I don't get anything under my nails, and so that it's very sanitary, but come on! It's ridiculous. My hair could dry completely in the time it takes me to squeeze out enough to make my ends nice and soft!

EDIT: To those of you saying that we should shampoo twice, I don't know about you. I, personally, have rather dry hair and after a long oil treatment I have to shampoo three times and use an apple cider vinegar rinse for five minutes. I am a fan of using this as a long mask after I dye my hair. I am an ultra blond (almost white) so it takes a lot out of my hair when I dye it. (actually, I believe that the correct term is "bleach" as dying requires it to have something go over the existing color) but this does do the trick.

I must say that it takes VERY little to make my hair look like I dunked it in oil. My hair is very dry and porous so I don't know why it makes it so shiny (so shiny it looks greasy). I'd assume that some would at least penetrate.

I can't even use it on my ends! Seriously, it makes me feel like I haven't showered in days. But, as a deep conditioner, me like and when my hair is UNBEARABLE, it's okay to put some (SOME!!!!!) on my ends. (Like...less than a pea size)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2011 11:25:00 AM More reviews by pammyglo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a coconut oil NUT! this is an all around AMAZING product ! it has replaced my eyemakeup remover, deep moisture treatment for my hair, moisture facial treatment, cuticle oil, my puppy dogs love to eat it ( a teaspoon a day ) my vet approved ! and of course we can use it to cook with it has natural healing properties and in my book is a SUPER food ! THANK GOD FOR MY COCONUT OIL :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2011 10:47:00 AM More reviews by qmsterling

Amazing stuff. Tried it after reading about it here... it is a great heavy-duty moisturizer that does absorb a few minutes post-shower, and picked up a second bottle for cooking (substitute 1:1 with any other cooking oil).MOST AMAZINGLY: I used this 2x/day on some infected nails (bad salon hygiene: I will never forgive you) that I had suffered with and hidden away with polish for 5+ years. SWEAR TO GOD, they cleared up within a few months (coconut oil is a natural antimicrobial, I have read)! Just try it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2011 2:44:00 PM More reviews by CuteSmile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm on my 2nd jar of coconut oil and I love it. I have curly hair and of course tends to be dryer at the ends, so twice a week I put some on my hair and message it into my scaple and leave it in for 15 min's (which takes about 5-10 just to make sure its somewhat evenly coated) and wash my hair. Sometimes I even apply it on the day I cleans and leave it in for about 3-6 hrs and just rinse it out. Works great for me.
I'm not sure what kind of hair the review below has, but she must be doing to quickly.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2011 11:50:00 PM More reviews by mcquest

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's too oily for hair. If you put a tiny bit on your hair, it might not distribute throughout. For it to distribute throughout, you end up putting too much on, i.e. your hair will be greasy afterwards even after you wash it. I don't want my hair to look dirty and greasy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2011 3:16:00 AM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've recently been trying to find natural alternatives to my expensive skincare products. This is one that I love. It has replaced my beloved Clinique Take Off the Day Balm, Ojon Restorative Treatment, and Soap and Glory Righteous Body Butter. I'll go through each and explain why it's taken their place.
Clinique TOTD Balm: I've always believed that makeup should be removed BEFORE that face is washed and TOTD Balm was my favorite face make up remover. I use coconut oil the same way I used my Balm. I take a bit out of the jar, warm it up, rub it on my skin for about 30 seconds, then wipe off with a damp muslin cloth. Coconut oil is often used in face washes because of it's ability to emulsify dirt, oil, and pigment as well as a foaming agent. I still follow up with my regular face wash, but I can see this working great as a cleanser alone. But if you wear foundation, use it twice!
Ojon Restorative Treatment: I used to use a scalp stimulant, clarifying shampoo and Ojon once a week. I am now making my own scalp stimulant from essential oils, using apple cider vinegar to clarify my hair, and coconut oil to moisturize it. I leave it in for about 20 minutes, then rinse out. My hair is clean, soft with no extra build up. I also use it in my Lush Henna recipe. It helps the henna to soak into my hair better, wash out easier, and keep my hair soft. With the amount the Ojon treatment was costing me, I'd be happy with just this as a replacement. Lucky for me, there's more.
Righteous Body Butter: I did not use body butter all over myself. I'm far too addicted to my body lotions (Alba's Unscented in the morning and Trader Joe's Midsummer Night's Cream at night). I only used it on my elbows, knees, and hands (I always have a separate foot cream). The smell of the butter was so strong it left me a little nauseous. So while, I'm not particularly partial to coconut, it's an improvement for my stomach. It also moisturized just as well.
Needless to say, I'm very happy with coconut oil. I don't use it to cook, but I might have to try now. I love multi-purpose products and this has just topped my list. Lovely as I had hoped it would be!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2011 12:22:00 AM More reviews by Donnz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This just didn't work for me topically. My skin is incredibly sensitive and neither my face nor body reacted well to it. The smell got a little overwhelming too. The reason why I will buy this again is because it made fantastic moist dairy free muffins and it helps to combat pregnancy constipation. So a yay for dietary but a nay for beauty.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2011 11:42:00 PM More reviews by fluttergurl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

coconut oil is probably my most versatile and highly coveted beauty item. not only is it my HG eye makeup remover, it does wonders as a leave in for my hair. i love it on my face before bed as well, a little bit goes a long way and moisturizes very well. ive also started using this as a substitute for body lotion, as im trying to steer away from chemical laden lotions, and so far so good! i picked up a huge tub of the stuff at whole foods for i think ten or so dollars. considering its versatility and awesomeness, i wouldve paid double. i cant recommend this highly enough.