October 1, 2014 | 1959 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2011 8:23:00 AM More reviews by Nunaya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Unfortunately, I have incredibly difficult skin. I can't use any silicone (in makeup or moisturizers), glycerin, mineral oil, and a variety of other ingredients. Additionally, my skin is incredibly dry. As you can imagine, this makes finding products that are effective and don't break me out very hard.

I use coconut oil for a facial moisturizer and body moisturizer and ADORE the results. I will never be without it :) It takes a bit of special application, however, and I wouldn't recommend simply slathering it on your dry face and calling it a day. Here's how I find it's most effective:

I bring a bit of it into the shower with me in a small container. I do my shower-thang, complete with washing my face. *While I'm still soaking wet* following the shower, I immediately slather the oil on my face and body. Yes, it feels a bit weird as it doesn't mix with water well. Jump out of the shower, and towel off all of the excess oil at this point. Just gently rub down your body to take off all of the greasy-excess, and what you're left with will be smooth, supple, and wonderful smelling skin :)

I do the same thing in the evening even if I'm not showering - just wash your face and apply the oil while you're face is still dripping with water. Towel off the excess, and voila! :)

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2011 4:34:00 PM More reviews by MizMavis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I started using coconut oil a few months ago. I only put it on my body, not face, at bedtime (to avoid the daytime greasies). My skin glows. I use Spectrum Coconut Oil and it doesn't have any fragrance. I was actually disappointed by this as I love the smell of coconut. So, if you don't like the coconut scent, try this one.

I scooped this out of the original grocery jar and put it in a screw top container that formerly housed body butter, as this was easier to use then the large glass jar.

After reading all the positive comments on how well it works, I'm ready to try it on my hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2011 10:13:00 PM More reviews by Iphy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I do not like coconut oil for my skin, as I find it too greasy. It never soaks in well enough, and it leaves a strange feeling afterward. I had been massaging it on my nails/cuticles but I realized it weakened my nails to do so; my fault. I do, however, adore this on my hair. It's light, moisturizing, and almost volumizing. I apply this 30 minutes before my shower, all over, then rinse it like crazy in the shower and shampoo. My fine, thin hair looks bouncy and soft.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2011 5:45:00 PM More reviews by basmah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I use coconut oil for my hair and my body (and cooking, but that's not what I'm going to review here). I have very fine hair that lacks volume. I use coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment on dry hair, just on the lower pony tail section of my hair and it is really moisturizing, but it also makes my hair feel thicker, which I love. i also have very dry skin on my body and I like using this occasionally after I get out of the shower on damp skin. For some reason it makes the KP on my upper legs (I don't have KP anywhere else) disappear, which obviously is a good thing. It is also very moisturizing. However, I do find it quite messy, which is the only down side I can think of. Would repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2011 5:51:00 AM More reviews by cassiopeya

I use this on my curly hair because it tends to be very dry and i have split ends. I think it works very good though i do not know if it works better on wet or dry hair, i use a tiny bit after washing my hair and than again a pea size amount after letting it dry. You have to figure out how much oil your hair needs and the first times your hair can look greasy if you use just a little bit too much. I know there are a lot of peope who hate the coconut smell but i love it! Sometimes i just want to eat it because it smells so sweet and tasty. I am using a european natural cosmetics brand named "Logona" right now and the coconut oil should be only used as a hair or skin treatment and not for cooking. It is very good but maybe i will try out a different coconut oil (for cooking) type because it is cheaper. So far i really recommend trying it out if your hair has dry ends!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2011 11:35:00 AM More reviews by DollParts7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Well, I use Parachuute, 100% Coconut Oil. I used it once on wet hair, and once on dry hair.

I have very curly hair (3b, and I'm Russian!) that's kind of unusual, (no one else in my family has it) so no one else knows how to care for it.

Well, my mother worked for an Indian woman who used this on her hair, which was wavy. My mother thought it would work out for me.

On wet hair, it makes it soft, and nice. I slept on it, and woke to STILL perfect hair. It was shiny, and pretty!

However, I CANNOT stand the smell of this. I hate coconuts and it's just something I cannot get over. I realized just how much I hated it, today, when I slathered it all over my dry hair, as a deep conditioner. I left it on for 20 minutes (wrapping my head in a towel) and then showering.

So far, it's very shiny. Almost too shiny. But it's soft, bouncy, and doesn't smell like coconut! (thank goodness!)

Overall, I might use it as a detangler only, and not a leave in treatment. Too much is bad! It's also good for moisturizing, but I wouldn't put it near my face!

On the packaging however, the Parachuute packaging for this is HORRIBLE! I had to put the bottle in hot water so that the temperature raised a little and it wasn't as solid. It's impossible to get anything out of that tiny little opening! I like the squeeze bottle idea, so I don't get anything under my nails, and so that it's very sanitary, but come on! It's ridiculous. My hair could dry completely in the time it takes me to squeeze out enough to make my ends nice and soft!

EDIT: To those of you saying that we should shampoo twice, I don't know about you. I, personally, have rather dry hair and after a long oil treatment I have to shampoo three times and use an apple cider vinegar rinse for five minutes. I am a fan of using this as a long mask after I dye my hair. I am an ultra blond (almost white) so it takes a lot out of my hair when I dye it. (actually, I believe that the correct term is "bleach" as dying requires it to have something go over the existing color) but this does do the trick.

I must say that it takes VERY little to make my hair look like I dunked it in oil. My hair is very dry and porous so I don't know why it makes it so shiny (so shiny it looks greasy). I'd assume that some would at least penetrate.

I can't even use it on my ends! Seriously, it makes me feel like I haven't showered in days. But, as a deep conditioner, me like and when my hair is UNBEARABLE, it's okay to put some (SOME!!!!!) on my ends. (Like...less than a pea size)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2011 11:25:00 AM More reviews by pammyglo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a coconut oil NUT! this is an all around AMAZING product ! it has replaced my eyemakeup remover, deep moisture treatment for my hair, moisture facial treatment, cuticle oil, my puppy dogs love to eat it ( a teaspoon a day ) my vet approved ! and of course we can use it to cook with it has natural healing properties and in my book is a SUPER food ! THANK GOD FOR MY COCONUT OIL :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2011 10:47:00 AM More reviews by qmsterling

Amazing stuff. Tried it after reading about it here... it is a great heavy-duty moisturizer that does absorb a few minutes post-shower, and picked up a second bottle for cooking (substitute 1:1 with any other cooking oil).MOST AMAZINGLY: I used this 2x/day on some infected nails (bad salon hygiene: I will never forgive you) that I had suffered with and hidden away with polish for 5+ years. SWEAR TO GOD, they cleared up within a few months (coconut oil is a natural antimicrobial, I have read)! Just try it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2011 2:44:00 PM More reviews by CuteSmile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm on my 2nd jar of coconut oil and I love it. I have curly hair and of course tends to be dryer at the ends, so twice a week I put some on my hair and message it into my scaple and leave it in for 15 min's (which takes about 5-10 just to make sure its somewhat evenly coated) and wash my hair. Sometimes I even apply it on the day I cleans and leave it in for about 3-6 hrs and just rinse it out. Works great for me.
I'm not sure what kind of hair the review below has, but she must be doing to quickly.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2011 11:50:00 PM More reviews by mcquest

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's too oily for hair. If you put a tiny bit on your hair, it might not distribute throughout. For it to distribute throughout, you end up putting too much on, i.e. your hair will be greasy afterwards even after you wash it. I don't want my hair to look dirty and greasy.