October 25, 2014 | 1595 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 8:51:00 PM More reviews by crossett

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I HAD to try this... pretty expensive for a fancy face scrubber, but now I have one I can remember - how did I get my skin really clean BEFORE I had this? Was my skin never really clean? I've washed my skin before using the clarisonic, but then wanted to feel the scrubbing exfoliated feeling and when brush suds up I see there is still makeup on my face. This tool REALLY cleans your face. I won't be without it ever again... the only think I would say is be careful around your delicate eye area.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2012 7:02:00 AM More reviews by VB10

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have had the mia for 10 days now and I think I like it, I would prefer to love it!
I am disappointed with the execution (perhaps it is designed by a man); First the magnetic charger is a cute and novel, however it has a standard plug which means it must be charged outside the bathroom, if a toothbrush and razor can be charged in the bathroom then surely this can and should be. Also, the indicator light that tells you when charging and when charged is underneath the product and you cant see it - why? I am also surprised that there is no battery indicator as you find on a toothbrush or mobile phone so you know when you need to charge it. Why have a product that simply stops when it is out of battery, particularly one that you can't just top up where you use it. I was certainly expecting electric toothbrush technology as standard in this product.
So the advice is to use it for 20seconds on each aread of your face, yet the only indicator you get is after a minute and the mia turns itself off, again, my toothbrush does rounds of 30seconds and keeps going. Far more helpful.
In terms of the time, 1minute doesnot clean my face, at this point the bristles are still gathering makeup, it takes more like 2mins for the bristles to appear clean and that is with regular rinsing.
The mia certainly feels more gentle than I expected, my skin does feel very clean after but only surface level. It hasnt aggrivated or irrated at all either. I was hoping for a deep clean feel and that the sonic vibrations were penetrating deeper and delivering more benefit. Emma Hardie's massage technique has far greater results.
When I bought the Mia I thought it was a fair price, now I am using it I think it is way over priced for what it delivers in results and the way it is presented.
So this is great for surface level super clean skin, it is a very expensive way of achieving it though. A rather dissapointingly superficial result.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2012 12:00:00 PM More reviews by tinybucket

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I did not experience purging at all, in the first few days my skin was very beautiful and felt stronger which I did not expect because I am prone to sensitive red and dry skin. The brushes seemed gentle enough.
Unfortunately a change of location (I bought the mia on a trip to NY in December 2011) back at my own place in the Netherlands the cold and the poor water quality wreaked havoc on my skin so that i stopped using the mia for a while, and used it a lot less frequently (before I used it once a day and I really eased in to using it).

Now my skin has stabilized again (so less redness and now itchy bumps) due to warmer temperatures, I use it more often, I really love how it cleanses my skin.

I find it nicely opens up your pores for some extractions. I do not find that it completely got rid of my chin blackheads, ever after using it every day (note: I used both the sensitive and the normal brush head). The pores on my cheeks have gotten tiny through its use but I can easily see how it would aggrevate rosacea. I try to use it less often because I see reddish veins on my cheeks (but only under very harsh light).

Another thing I'd like to add is that the brush head seems much harder to me than in the beginning, but I found that rinsing it with very hot, almost boiling water before its use (do let it cool down a bit before use) remedies that. Again, this might be due to the poor water quality here.

Would I recommend it? Yes, but only if you can afford it without too much financial strain, it is not a miracle product, and depending on your skin type and extraneous factors it will work differently. People in the states have the luxury of being able to return this within 30 days, so if you are curious, go try it out. People in Europe do not have this luxury unfortunately, so I recommend to do your research (by skin type) and maybe you can get it from the states where it is so much cheaper than over here.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2012 1:30:00 AM More reviews by kf2012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I debated on this for so long, and finally gave in because I had a Nordstrom gift card. Even then, this was ridiculously expensive, so I personally held it to a high standard -- one which it unfortunately did not meet. (For reference, I have very oily, very acne-prone skin that is not sensitive.)

The first time I used it, I was underwhelmed. Still, determined to give it a fair shot, I used it every night (nighttime only; not in the morning), following the instructions to the letter. At first, I didn't notice any difference in my skin at all. It didn't feel any cleaner, and my toner + cotton pad after didn't indicate any increased level of cleanliness. It didn't feel smoother or softer, my products didn't absorb any better, and there was certainly no miraculous "glow" that I've heard talk about.

I noticed that with continued use, my skin didn't seem to be improving, but rather getting worse. My clogged pores seemed to be getting more inflamed and I was breaking out in places I hadn't broken out in before. I kept on keeping on... but after 2 full weeks it was clear that my skin was not liking this. My skin was redder than usual. My old acne marks looked darker. Even with avoiding the active breakouts on my face, I continued to experience new breakouts all over. My skintone did not improve, nor did the texture or feel of my skin. My skin seemed more oily than usual, and it just looked dull and zitty.

Other negatives I experienced: the bristles took forever to dry (even after blotting with a towel and laying the brush out face-down in a humidity-free room) and the brush was clunky and couldn't reach every area of my face due to its size (e.g. around my nose). I didn't even really like the feeling of it on my face. The bristles didn't necessarily feel harsh, but they didn't feel particularly soft or gentle, either. And to be honest, the buzzing/vibrating feeling was stronger than I expected; it was kind of annoying on my face.

I ended up returning it to Nordstrom. My skin's condition was bad enough that I couldn't justify giving it more time to work its supposed "magic." Far be it from me to question other people's results, but for me, this was just an overhyped and incredibly expensive flop. After a few weeks of not using it, my skin went back to its previous state, confirming my suspicions that this thing was no good for me.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2012 1:21:00 PM More reviews by DizzyNicky

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law. At first I wasnít using it right and it irritated my skin and broke me out horribly. Then I just happen to see a review on YouTube by ginabinawina99 and she made me realize that I needed to cut back on the length of time I was using it. Itís programmed to run for a minute and then shut off. Now I use it for about 30 seconds in the shower everyday on my face and lips, then I use it on my knees and elbows for the rest of the time. It leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth and removes makeup build up. The charge lasts quite awhile and its compact enough to keep in the shower. Great product, would definitely recommend to my friends and family.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2012 2:10:00 AM More reviews by everdream

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can describe this product with one word - Nice. My skin texture did feel smoother after using it. However, it's just way to high maintenance and pricey for my taste.. It's not a magic product it didn't make fine lines disappear or acne scars vanish and I rather buy high-end scrubs and peels (my favorite is the Philosophy microdelivery peel!) that in the long run cost less and provide much better results.

The Clarisonic Mia may be a HG for some, but I believe a big part of the adoring reviews are because of all the hype built around this product... When you buy a 120$+ product you feel kind of bad dissing it, right? :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by ilymed2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great for gently clearing my skin of the occasional flakes caused by retin-a. I resisted getting because I assumed it'd be too much for my dry skin. Now it has become a part of my morning skin prep routine.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by PussPuss1

I was on the fence about buying this for ages, partly because I have some mild rosacea and broken caps, but I finally cracked and got one a couple of months ago. I've recently started using Tretinoin too, so it's hard to say whether it's one or the other causing the improvement, but my skin is clearer than it's been for years.

I went to see my derm the other day, and she commented that my skin was looking great! I think it's partly that I'm less inclined to pick at my skin when I'm spending a fortune to improve it, but hey, whatever it takes...

rated 2 of 5 on 2/29/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by cassandrabecky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh how I wanted to love the Mia!!! I received this as a gift for Christmas, so luckily did not spend the money on it except for replacement brush heads I purchased. I gave this a good 2 month run to see if it would work for me I was super gung-ho and used it every morning and night as soon as I received it. Broke me out, figured it was that initial purging I read about online, so excused it as such. My skin did not clear up, and these break out were different from my regular hormonal break outs. So I backed off a little and started using it once a day... in the evening. My skin improved a little bit but I found it was still worse off then before I used the Mia. Backed off again to once every couple days.... again my skin approved.... hmmm seems to improve the less I use the brush?? I just recently stopped using all together and my skin is great again :( I get a better and gentler exfoliation using my Dermalogica Daily Microexfolient then I do with the Mia.

All in all, I have stopped using it. It did nothing for me but irritate my skin, cause flakiness and break outs where I didn't have them before and cause two months of messing around with my skin care regime. I also tried two different brush heads, and several different cleansers including the clarisonic cleanser, Caudalie Foam, Clinique and Purity Made Simple. I am disappointed because I had such high hopes! I may keep it around and use once in a while, as a special treatment to my skin, but doubt it will make any difference, it will really only be to justify the cost of it. I have finally regained balance to my skin without the use of it. And I almost feel silly for believing the hype.

While I believe it is an amazing tool, people do need to keep in mind that it is not for everybody. I have rather sensitive, combination skin. However, my skin gets inflamed very easily , so perhaps this had something to do with it.I will be sticking to what I know works for me from now on!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2012 1:42:00 AM More reviews by Michaelangelo22

Should be a staple in anyones regimen. With this tool your skincare will penetrate deeper, your skin will be overall clearer, the texture will be smoother, and black heads will be GREATLY diminished. What else do you need to hear? GO GET ONE!