August 21, 2014 | 1927 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2010 1:30:00 PM More reviews by Beachbunnie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this! Its amazing!! applies my foundation flawlessly!!
So quick and easy to use I could never go back to using anything else!! You literally bounce the blender on your face like you would if you were using a stippling brush!! Superb!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2010 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Ummiss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Green

OK this is the second day I have used my beautyblenader and it is FABULOUS! The application gives a flawless finsh. At first I could not understand what evereyone meant but now.... I'm sorry I waited so long to get one.... I will never use a brush again to apply my foundation! The imitation ones (sephora yellow, & sonia Kashuk Blue)DO NOT add up The beautyblender is one of a kind. The texture is different and it expands which the others don't. I ourchased them from Sephora online and you get two for $25.95 and one for $19.95 so it better for your $$ to get the 2-pack. I do recommend this to everyone It should be in everyone makeup collections.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2010 4:38:00 PM More reviews by SR19

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product and I cannot live without it now. I hate foundation brushes. I apply foundation with it and pat my concealer in with it. I love the texture, the colour, the shape. I use it dry, I use it wet...doesn't matter which way I use it, I always get a great finish with it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2010 7:51:00 PM More reviews by gagag

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

In my endless quest to find the perfect foundation application, I've realized that brushes can't achieve that flawless texture - at least not w/full-coverage liquids or creams. So I gave the old standard white
wedge sponges a second look. Dampened, and used with the lightest stippling touch, I've been able to achieve full coverage with a porcelain finish. The only problem was the hard lines they made at the edges - which I'd then have to blend out. Pain in the... Enter the BeautyBlender. I ordered it online, but couldn't wait, so I ran out and bought the blue Sonia Kashuk dupe. That proved way too firm and dense (like the yellow Sephora dupe). The two of those actually hurt my face bc I couldn't stipple lightly. No worries, bc I had heard the pink BeautyBlender was much softer. In truth, it is softer than the dupes - about the same as my wedges. However, not as dense as my white wedges - and very porous. That's my big problem with the BeautyBlender - too porous, so the finish is too sheer. And I didn't want to use more than 3 layers of foundation bc it soaks up so much product (and yes, I only used it damp). Day by day, I did side-by-side comparisons, and the BeautyBlender just couldn't beat my wedges. In terms of coverage and texture, I'm sticking w/wedge sponges. For reference, I used EL DW and Nars Sheer Glow in thin layers on top of each other.

If it was made of the same dense, but soft, material as my wedges, but in that ingenious egg shape for seamless application, it would be the HG to end all HG's. Unfortunately, for all the hype, the BeautyBlender turned out to be the biggest disappointment of all the makeup products/tools I've ever purchased. I've seen it work well on youtube w/MAC Full Coverage - but that's an entirely different texture than anything I use - and mind you, that's on youtube. It's expensive, yes, but I'd gladly pay anything to achieve a flawless finish. This didn't come close - and it soaked up too much product.

UPDATE: I continue trying every possible application with this tool. To date, the only use for which it's fairly effective is pressing Powderflage into the corner of my eyes. Aside from that, standard white sponges trump this gimmick. I have no idea how the BeautyBlender is rated so well. I just think it's the biggest gimmick ever. The pink color, the shape, the hype - all very seductive; but the actual finished product it leaves is mediocre at best. Nothing a wedge sponge can't do - and a wedge sponge does it for 1/30 the cost and gives much better results.

32 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2010 3:35:00 AM More reviews by GoingToRedRobin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Undoubtedly the best thing I've ever used to apply my foundation. I always use it wet, and pat it on my skin. I get the most flawless, even complexion when I do this. I was skeptical at first, but now, i am a full-blown convert. I have purchased 4 of them, and will not EVER be without them!!! AMAZING

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2010 1:53:00 AM More reviews by mzpkay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ugh this is so expensive for a sponge! ...but so worth it. Love the pinkness and the expanding when wet, but seriously hate the price.

Pros: Pink, Gives the most gorgeous, airbrushed yet skin-like finish I've ever seen
Cons: Expensive

I've also tried Sonia Kashuk's and hers is a bit denser, which I like. IDK, I like both and can't choose. But I'll definitely be buying this again....if only for the cute pink eggness of it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2010 12:33:00 AM More reviews by lvn4jesus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I purchased this item at IMATS LA 2010 in Pasadena. One vendor was selling them for $10 each. Why I didn't purchase a gazillion of them I'll never know.
I have purchased the SK version at Target at least three times. I was always disappointed with the product. It would begin to break apart after two or three washings and would crumble on my face. The BeautyBlender feels softer and more pliable in my hand. I have vigorously washed this sponge a minimum of 10 times and there is absolutely no crumbling or breaking apart.
I use creme foundation (Cinema Secrets is the foundation of the moment). I use a foundation brush to apply the product to my face, spritz the BeautyBlender with my glycerin and rosewater solution and stipple/blend the creme foundation out. I get such flawless coverage that I have been asked if I airbrush my foundation. It does that well.
You don't have to use so much product to achieve the look you are going for.
I definitely recommend the purchase of the BeautyBlender. When I attend IMATS LA 2011, I will definitely stock up.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2010 6:53:00 PM More reviews by melanyjada

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

When I first got this, I seriously wondered what the hell I just wasted my money on.

It just looked so tiny and.. nothing special - for the price.

However, this is just amazing. I use this to apply my tinted moisturizer and I use the top of the sponge for my concealer.

Make sure you run this under water before using it with your foundation.

It litterally takes me about 3 minutes (maybe less) to achieve a flawless application (and I have less then perfect skin)

I hope they never discontinue this.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2010 12:12:00 AM More reviews by snactres

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Believe the hype! I wish I had bought the 2-set, as it is way more price effective. The plastic packaging is kind of flimsy and potentially damaging to the brush. Mine did not come with the dvd, but oh well.

It really does not waste product. I use my fingers to apply the product and deposit it on the general area I want it to be on my face, and start stippling (bouncing) and blending--I try to get the most out of my products, so believe me when I say this. I was hesistant to buy this not just because of the price, but because I was afraid it would waste product. I can't emphasize enough how great the finish is.

It blends my undereye concealer, cream blush, and tinted moisturizer really well--who needs expensive airbrush makeup when you've got this? SO much better than a foundation brush.

I just got mine, I hope it lasts for at least a few months. Will update accordingly.

After using this for almost a week, I like it even more! I get a really nice airbrushed look with this. I like using this much better than my foundation/concealer/blush brushes for my liquid-y makeup. Obviously for my powder makeup, I like brushes.

For those concerned about the time it takes to wash it, it really doesn't take that long (trust me, I'm lazy!).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2010 6:02:00 PM More reviews by flybaby

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: Feb 2011 Right after I wrote this review, I began using the sponge more on its side, using more of the pointy end, rather than at the very bottom fat part. I like it even better this way. I still don't find using the very top point all that useful though. It seems like if I need to touch up something that tiny, then a small brush works best. I'm still very much in love with this tool. It makes applying flawless foundation so quick!

I still find it most useful for use with liquid foundation. That being said; I do own Boots #7 mousse foundation, (which is awesome) and the BB makes a nice application, but it does not fit down into the jar opening, and probably picks up (wastes) more than dipping in a fd brush or using fingers. It also does not speed up the application process of mousse. However, the finished look is great, and probably helps guard about having a too heavy appearance, which can happen pretty easily with the mousse.

Bottom line, for speed, ease of application, and finished results, it, for me, is still most useful for liquid foundation., I did not think it useful at all for stick foundation (shiseido) and do not own any cream fd to try it with.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Love this! It makes applying liquid foundation so quick! Its virtually foolproof so long as the sponge is damp for use. My makeup looks seamless with so little effort. Plus, it makes the product go a lot further than a brush or even fingers. I've become smitten with Guerlain's Lingerie De Peau, and one depression of the pump onto the back of my hand does my entire face with this sponge. I start out by putting concealer under my eyes (Cle de Peau), then dip the larger end of the sponge in the little puddle of foundation which I've squirted on the back of my other hand., and just bounce it everywhere quickly. Under my eyes I do go over the concealer with the sponge, but don't concentrate on the area. I rarely use the pointed end of the egg

I've tried rubbing the pointed end onto the concealer stick, and applying it to my under eye area, but that does not seem to give any better results than just patting the concealer on with my finger first.

I did use this a couple of times with Shiseido's stick foundation, and it can be done, but it takes a lot longer. Maybe I was not doing it right, but it seemed to defeat the purpose of stick foundation.

I have not tried the Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge, mainly due to reading several reviews saying how much extra product the sponge absorbs. It did not seem to be a cost savings to me to buy a less expensive sponge, if it was going to make me go through my foundation faster.

As others have said, the cleanser is ridiculously expensive. and the sponge needs to be clean or it doesn't work correctly. I like the way the cleanser smells, and the convenience of the dispenser bottle, but, when this bottle runs out, I plan to try Neutrogena One Step Gentle facial cleanser (as per another poster's suggestion) or some sort of more reasonably priced product to wash it with.