April 20, 2014 | 1302 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2009 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Ilove2shop21

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to use the round white sponges that you can find at any drugstore and wet those but these give a better and STREAK FREE finish. This also uses less product than the ones I used to use. I gave packaging a 1 bc I was so anxious to use mine before reading the instruction and I pulled my egg up and out of the tray it comes in instead of pushing it down and it caused a tear in one of them. Also beware of sitting your new egg on a white counter when it is wet; I did this and now have a permanent hot pink stain on my bathroom counter that clorox will not remove. Other than that great product and nothing comes above it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2009 4:09:00 PM More reviews by Heebz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I heard about this product through a makeup artisits web-stie. I NEVER used sponges. I hated the smell, and the way I never got coverage with them. I always applied my foundation with my hands. I heard the warmth breaks down your foundation and makes it skin like. Even with my hands and warming rountine, my foundation always looked caked and uneven. I NEVER thought I would get that makeup artisit foundation look, EVER!!! Until this product. I bought it on sephora.com. The price is very high but believe me its worth the price!!! It beat all of my expectations. I used it for the first time and knew I just had to write a review. I use it as directed. I wet the spong, squeeze out on a towel. Then I put my foundation on my hand (key - the warming effect), then apply. Let me tell you my face looks AMAZING. Fully blended, flawless, but yet natural. Im a beauty addict and love this...try it, you will NOT be disappointed! ;-)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2009 11:20:00 PM More reviews by samsammimilili

Finally gave in and tried this. Love the pink color, love the texture of the sponge and love the cleanser as well. I only use this for my liquid foundations and concealor since I still like using my brushes for other things. I hate foundation brushes because they streak so I have been using my fingers for the longest time. Although I had to use more foundations with the sponge, the coverage was much better and lasts much longer. I was able to get light and even airbrush coverage in about a minute. The best thing about the sponge is that I can use it wet, which helps my skin a lot since I get dry patches all the time. I will definitely repurchase and recommend to friends.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2009 2:36:00 PM More reviews by bren81

I have two of these because I wash this everyday and takes more than a day for it to completely dry. I have to alternate between the two. I use this when I'm in a hurry if I have some time I use a MAC 187 brush. This works wonders for me which is great as I have paid quite a few bucks for a makeup sponge. This blends my foundation beautifully, settles my concealer, and great for applying cream blushes as well. One sponge will last me about 3 months and then it starts to rip here and there, breaks down and I have to return the old one (the company will recycle as the package states). I see no streaks or spots when I apply my foundation with this sponge. You just have to give it a try and compare it to any old sponges. You will see the difference (a big difference) immediately!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2009 2:00:00 PM More reviews by mrscoburn

I am very happy with my beautyblender. I was skeptical when I first used it, but it does indeed work. I first used it with my Merle Norman foundation that I never wear because I can't get it on evenly without streaking. Well, I used the beautyblender, and it looked great (even though I still hate the MN foundation). It works great with foundation, concealer, and cream blushes. I have also used it for powders!! I love it!! I think it is worth the price. I don't know how long it will last though, so I'll update after a while!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2009 11:22:00 AM More reviews by SlowRnB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have tried both the beautyblender AND the SK Blue Peep and this is my comparison of both.

Due to MUA hype, I hopped on the bandwagon and purchased this sponge. I purchased it ONLY after I tested the dupe of the beautyblender, which is dubbed the Sonia Kaschuk "Blue Peep".

Here are my thoughts on the Blue Peep.

PROS-
It's cheaper then the beautyblender.
It's the same size WHEN DRY as the beautyblender.
The sponge is very durable.

CONS-
It smells like..rubber (I've washed it 10 times so far, still rubber smell).
It doesn't expand when wet like the beautyblender, so smaller surface area, takes longer to blend with it.
It doesn't blend evenly.

I liked the Blue Peep, but I wanted to see if the more expensive one worked any better. At first I was a bit apprehensive. $25 for a sponge? Really?? But then I saw that you can actually buy 2 for $30 so that works out to $15 a sponge. Only $5 more then the Blue Peep.

IMO the beautyblender is worth the money. Here is why....

PROS-
Expands to twice its size when wet and covers more area.
Is much softer then the SK Blue peep.
Blends beautifully! My foundation looks air brushed and so even.
No smell.

CONS-
It's more expensive.
The sponge is fragile!! I made the mistake of rubbing the narrow end of it a little too hard to get makeup out and it started to rip, hence the subtracted lippie. Be careful with your beautyblender!!

I use my SK peep for everyday makeup. For special occasions, I use my beautyblender. The beautyblender is suppose to last 3 months with daily use. If you limit it to special occasions, you can get much more time out of it. I hope this review helps someone!

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2009 12:22:00 AM More reviews by tawnyinthepink

Okay, I bought this for me and my sister and we both have been pleased. With the only exception being...me. I am used to using brushes. But I saw the reviews for this and decided to buy us both one to try out. My sister loves this product. I like it, but often go back to what I'm comfortable with...brushes. So, it could just be me with the odd brush infatuation.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2009 12:16:00 AM More reviews by SPACEGIRL1000

I hate to be the negetive one but for the very few of you ladies who gave this product a bad review- yes you were right! I am shocked that at this very moment only 11% of us said we would not buy this again because in all honesty this product did NOT deliver.I immediatly ordered 2 of these kits being that it was proclaimed a "holy grail" product and i am so angry- total waste of money!
First off, i want to say i have read every single review on this board as well as about 100 posts on qvc about this product and even watched the tutorial many times. I have been a makeup artist for over 10 years so i consider myself to be an expert at make-up application. This sponge is a useless tool. Brushes are better, more sanitary and much cheaper.
I literally used 4 times more product because this sponge just sucked up and absorbed all of the concealer/foundation yet still leaving me with sheer coverage. Yes i used it wet and stippled by the way. With my concealer brush and just a tiny amount of concealer i am able to conceal ALL of my imperfections and dark circles. With beautyblender so much product was wasted and not enough coverage. I also tried this with cream blushes and it was horrible. I lightly dabbed the cream blush on and right away all the makeup i had underneth came off and i got uneven blotchy blush application. The ONLY thing this works well for is highlighters. I took the advice of someone who in their review of this product mentioned she used pigments with it and that it was amazing (or a word similar to amazing lol). Well while i wouldnt say it was amazing it was still beautiful. I dabbed the pigment on- it was actually a becca product similar to mac pigments. It was a light goldish highlighting color and the dampened sponge really did make a world of a difference. Only problem- i had to use a TON of product- this time about 10 times more lol. The effect was pretty but i cannot see myself spending $44 on one kit for just a highlighting tool- not to mention the amount of product i would waste (being that these becca products are expensive and they are the only powders i use).
Last i want to stress the most important concern that i have which i am shocked no one here has mentioned.....BACTERIA!!!! I wash this everytime of course but my problem is this: dipping a damp/wet sponge into my pots and jars of cream blushes will eventually cause contamination and breaking down of the product. Cream blushes such as nars, bobbi brown, etc are not meant for wet sponges to be dipped into them and this moisture/water in my opinion will change the product. I would have appreciated a tool that could work dry because i don't want to ruin my expensive blushes by contamintating them.
Packaging is horrible and highly unintelligent. I watched the tutorial where they showed you "how to remove it" which alone states how ridiculious this is. The sponge is housed in a cacoon of very sharp plastic points that looks like it is nestled in a claw. I followed the directions and pushed it from down under so that it would'nt tear but i still had tears in all 4 of my sponges due to the sharp plastic points that were jabbed into it while packaged. Why make a product that a) will tear very easilly due to it being housed in sharp hard plastic and b) needs a tutorial to watch on how to remove it. Talk about issues. If the creators were smart they would have invented something packaged nicely yet non-damaging.
I really think this is a novelty item that is all hype and if anything just makes you feel good to be part of this trend. I am not trying to insult anyone who praises this because in all honesty- i wanted to be part of this trend too lol. I just need something that gives me coverage without wasting product and as far as i am concerned this is equivilent to all the other cheap dollar store sponges out there only it's pink and pretty!

65 out of 87 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2009 5:06:00 PM More reviews by bublebulle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This a no-brainer tool to apply foundation, no matter your makeup skills. Initially, I was excited and skeptical at the same time about it but now I can say that I love this cute pink egg!

It's super easy to use - all you have to do is to damp the sponge with water (in my opinion, it works better wet than dry), dip it in your foundation (liquid/cream that is disposed on the back of my hand or on a palette, but never directly in the pot because this is not hygienic!) and stipple, stipple, stipple. The finish is flawless because this sponge doesn't have any edges - no streaks at sight. The pointy part is great to work your foundation around your nose and apply the concealer under the eyes.

BUT - and this is why I did not gave this tool 5 lippies - I use much more product with it (2 or 3 pumps of my MUFE HD foundation vs 1 pump with my MAC 187!) and you'll also have to discard it soon or later. This cutie spongee is great but it's also very pricey when thinking that even if you wash it on a daily basis, it will not last years like a good brush would last. =(
If they were half the price, I would not hesitate to tell you to splurge, but I find it to be pretty expensive for a limited lifetime tool.

Nonetheless, my foundation never looked better than it looks now. So... Beware of the addiction! =)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2009 3:04:00 PM More reviews by lmat79

I have always shied away from foundation partly because I never could apply it well. The beautyblender has completely changed my approach to makeup. Now applying foundation is easy for me. So far I haven't had any problems with it shedding, but if it did I would just buy another. Its the only thing that gives my foundation a natural look but still gives good coverage as well.