Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 10/25/2011 4:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I like it for hair treatment, but what is awesome about it: using a couple of drops on my face. I add it with normal moisturizer at night, to make it richer. My skin is even toned after doing this, and very smooth, to the point that i do not need foundation. EDIT: I bought a raw organic pure virgin (white solid at room temperature) jar from Whole Foods, it absorbs much better/faster than the other (organic raw pure kind) that i was using. I don't know why, but i prefer it even more now. It works well with extra virgin olive oil, as a body oil. It also has a very faint coconut scent, whereas the other one was totally unscented. I like the coconut scent more.

on 10/11/2011 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Oh, virgin organic coconut oil... I love it sooooo much! It is the best moisturizer ever:

~ I use it on my face, which is dehydrated but oily, with sensitive forhead... it does not make my skin oily, it hydrates, it makes skin glow...

~ I use it on the rest of my body... NO body lotion in the world can give such a beautiful healthy glow

~ I use it on my dry scalp and on my coarse hair. heaven

~ And from now on i am going to use it on my teeth!

on 10/5/2011 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Love this as my body moisturizer. I use it daily for my entire body with exception of my face and neck. I like to apply it right out of the shower to lock in moisture and it feels great when its warmed. My skin feels so soft and the smell reminds me of sugar cookies. Also big plus is that it doesn't have any parabens or chemicals and its so inexpensive compared to body creams/lotions.

UPDATE: With the weather getting colder I mixed avocado oil into my coconut oil and I love it even more now.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I work in Holland and Barrett and I purchased this when it was on a half price offer and i must say its one of the best £6's iv spent yet. some mnay say it can be pricey but..coconut oil lasts A VERY LONG time! it stays in the fridge and is solid. I melt it between my hands and put it on slightly damp hair. it works great for hair to keep it shiny and in condition. the smell isnt overpowering - it is a sweet, light scent :) its great for putting on to dry scalps too.
it also can be used for cooking! iv used it before on toast (delicious).
it can help with weight loss.
during my training at a health shop i went on many courses to keep up to date with products. on a course in London i was told this story: some farmers wanted to fatten up their cows. they discovered coconut oil and believed this would to the trick. however, they found that the cows were losing weight! this is because coconut oil uses stored fat as enegry which in turn helps u to lose weight. i am unsure as to whether this story is factual or not !
coconut oil can also be used on the skin. i've yet to try it is a moisturisor but im sure its fantastic. (after i rub it into my hair and scalp my hands are left feeling baby soft)
its a must have!!
x

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

coconut oil is absolutely fantastic. i have struggled with KP(keratosis pilaris) all over my body for so long. i've tried lots of different moisturizers but they never really seemed to have any lasting effect. i read about coconut oil here, and i had some in my kitchen so i decided to try it out by testing it on my arm, where i have a lot of particularly stubborn bumps. the next day it was easy to tell where i applied the coconut oil because there was a very clear line of demarcation-part of my skin was bumpy as always, but on the other part, the bumps had disappeared!! its been several weeks now and im still absolutely thrilled with what it does for my skin. between this, dove visible care bodywash, and salux bath towels, i can finally stop wasting money and energy trying to fix my KP, and stop feeling embarassed about the texture of my skin. as an added bonus, it's done wonders for strengthening my nails. i thought it was normal for nails to grow to a certain length and then get all snaggly,until i noticed how much nicer my nails were getting.
im afraid to use this as a facial moisturizer, as it is considered comedonegenic, (or however you spell that) but its great for oil-pulling. i find it helps cure junkfood cravings. still have to try it out as a conditioner.

on 10/1/2011 9:57:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I bought some coconut oil after reading the reviews here. I've used it on my hair, my face as a moisturizer, as an eye make up reviewer, and in scrubs. It smells fabulous of course, and I like how it feels on my skin. It doesn't seem to absorb into my face as well as olive oil - in the morning there's always a slight film left where with olive oil there isn't - but I don't care for the smell of olive oil and have yet to find a good way to mask it with other essential oils. All in all coconut oil is a good value and a keeper. Also excellent to cook with.

on 9/30/2011 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

When it comes to coconut oil, I'm like that Frank's Red Hot Sauce Commercial - ' I put that *ish on everything'. LOL
Coconut oil is one of the best product discoveries I've made in the past year and I use it all over, hair, skin, massage, etc. Probably the only thing I have yet to use it for is actually cooking!
Edited 10/24 - Oh and did I forget to mention that coconut oil is also an anti-microbial? This is one of those supernatural products.

on 9/30/2011 1:10:00 PM

I purchased the Everyday Values organic unfiltered Coconut Oil from the grocery section at Whole Foods. It comes in a 14 oz jar, so for hair products, that makes this pretty cheap. It works fairly well. I slather it over my dry hair and massage into my scalp. I cover it with a plastic shower cap, and let it soak in for about an hour. Then I shampoo twice with moisturizing shampoo, and then condition as usual. After my hair is no longer dripping wet, I take a little more of the oil in my hands and rub it through the ends of my damp hair. Then I blow dry, without any additional product, and sleep on it. The next morning, I have the best hair I've had, in a long long time. My hair hasn't looked this shiny in years. Possibly ever.
I'll try it next time with air-drying it, which I have never ever been able to do with any type of product or haircut or perm, so I will update with new results when I have tried it!

I do recommend you try this if you have rough, coarse, or dry hair. I also have dandruff sometimes, and so I tried massaging this into my scalp, with no bad effects. My dandruff isn't gone, per se, but it's reduced, certainly. My hair looks gorgeous, and finally has settled into waves, which is a vast improvement from its formerly schizophrenic curl/straight state.

on 9/28/2011 10:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This review is for extra virgin, 100% organic, cold press coconut oil. A bit of a background; I suffer from a scalp condition and have been to numerous dermatologists who go back and forth between scalp psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis (personally, I think it is psoriasis because my scalp is not at all greasy, as is mostly the case with seborrheic dermatitis. My scalp is extremely dry but what puzzles doctors is the fact that I do not have psoriasis on any other part of my body, so there in lies the confusion. Anyway, I would save I have mild to severe scalp psoriasis and the only thing that would help was a lotion that contains steroids. I'm not a fan of taking too much of any medication but the flare ups get very bad, several times a week. I have been no-poo (shampoo free), using baking soda/ACV for about six months now but not even this helped. It is a difficult condition to live with and I was seeking for something more natural and efficient to help my scalp.

Enter Extra Virgin Coconut Oil! I was looking for something that would help reduce pore size and coconut oil was suggested. I did some research and there were mixed reviews about pore reduction but I did see many people say they put it in their hair and people with dry scalp swear by it. I didn't see a lot of feedback from scalp psoriasis sufferers but I really had nothing to lose.

I bought it yesterday because I was having a particularly bad flare up and put it on today, leaving it on my scalp for two hours. This stuff is amazing. My scalp doesn't have the extremely dry flakes. I would say it reduced it by 80% and my scalp feels smooth and that's just with one application! I'm floored by this.

For anyone suffering with scalp psoriasis, this is it! I would say applying it one to two times a week would be best. Just make sure it is the Extra Virgin, 100% organic because when applying to the scalp (or other parts of your body) you want it to be as natural as possible and chemical and dye free, if not it may cause more flare ups.

Next, I will try it on my face to see if it will reduce my large pores. I shall update with my results. Love this stuff!

on 9/28/2011 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

This is so comedogenic its funny. BUT I love to put it in smoothies and fry with it. Maybe use it on my cuticles.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products