July 24, 2014 | 1628 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Clear Pore Cleanser Mask

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2005 1:07:00 PM More reviews by curly_brunette

This product is fantastic. I had reasonably acne-free skin for most of my life, but in my late twenties, I started developing quite a few breakouts, and at least one major pimple on my face at all times. I had been using lots of salicylic acid treatments, but they didn't seem to be working as well as they should, and my skin wasn't handling leave-on benzoyl peroxide very well - it'd get rid of the acne, but leave my skin red and irritated. This product, used as a mask, has cleared up my skin completely in one week. I use it every other night, leaving it on for 5 minutes each time. I am left with no irritation and soft, clear skin. I still use a salicylic acid cleanser in the morning and evening also. The smell is pleasant, the texture is divine and the price is great.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2005 12:40:00 AM More reviews by smcgraw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just wanted to add a rave but also a word of caution - this stuff is strong. I can't use it more than once a day as a cleanser, and once every couple of weeks if my skin is really oily as a mask. When they say five minutes maximum, they are not kidding - in this case, more is not better. It can be extremely drying and irritating if overdone. That being said, it really keeps my skin clear, is dirt cheap, and has a wonderful cooling feeling. Keep it away from your eye area because it is too drying.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2005 10:35:00 PM More reviews by DKER

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am on my 5th tube of this stuff!! I cannot use any kind of BP that is meant to be left on...even as a spot treatment it is just too much for me. But this I can tolerate, and I can even use it on my back/shoulders after workouts. I use as a cleanser most of the time, 1-2 times a day. I use it as a mask when I am feeling extra greasy or broken out. What else can I say....it is cheap and VERY effective at clearing my skin....better than Clindagel or topical Erythromycin. The fact that the product is thick and does not drip/run is a bonus: I have not had clothing-ruining incidents with this as I have with other, runnier BP washes. (which BTW were not as effective as this)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/3/2005 11:06:00 PM More reviews by ILoveBuff

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wow - this stuff is awful for me. I tried it as a mask, and I regret it! After just about a minute, my face was literally burning. When I rinsed the mask off, my skin was red and angry. I've never found my skin to be very sensitive, but I've never tried a face product with menthol, so that could be the culprit. At any rate, I'll stick to Proactiv for my BP!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2005 8:15:00 PM More reviews by misspris26

Great ingredients for acne proned, oily skinned people. It's like queen helene mint julep (same 2 clays) but with bp. Rinses off well too.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2005 7:07:00 AM More reviews by cuteboringlove

I have bought this time and time again and for good reason! It smells wonderful, it's creamy (which I love!), it's both a cleanser and a mask, AND the best of all...it's the only face wash I've seen that has a little amount of BP instead of the 10% which is terrible and irritating! My face always feels clean when I wash with this and I really do believe it has helped with oil control. I'm definitely gonna continue to buy this and I highly recommend it! Update: I stray away and then come running back. From now on, I'm sticking to this as my staple. I use this twice daily as a cleanser and I use this as a mask about once a week as a little pick me up, and to keep me extra clear. I even use this to wash my chest and back in the shower to prevent breakouts. If your skin gets flakey or dry from using this, do what the label says and alter the frequency. I'm sure you can find this to suit you in some way whether it be a cleanser, a mask, or both! Although the top doesn't close and that is extremely annoying, I love the rest of the packaging. I find it ironic that it has a low key name like Clear Pore yet is has a stronger, more effective medicine than all the others with ACNE in the name. It's nice to own a face wash that doesn't scream "I HAVE BAD SKIN!" when you look at it. Know what I mean? hahaha. This can work as a cleanser, mask, and as a spot treatment so it has definitely simplified my cabinet and saved me money. This will always be a staple of mine! Highly recommended forever!

Update 7/13/14:
I still use this daily. I use it as a face wash on alternate nights that I don't use it as a mask. I use it as a mask 3-4 times a week. It's important to note that this should not be used to remove makeup. I use a makeup wipe first then a liquid eye makeup remover. I then follow up with burts bees willow bark cream cleanser. Finally, I use this cleanser and wash it off or leave it on for 10-15 mins. It completely maintains my skin and keeps it smooth. It also takes away most of my natural redness! I hate to admit, but I rely on this cleanser/mask. For about a year, I strayed to try out a more natural skin care route which included the oil cleasing method and all burts bees products but I could not keep my skin clear and I spent way too much time worrying about my skin. I think I was scared to use benzoyl peroxide because I had read some information information about how it damages and ages your skin but none of the information was cohesive so I was confused. I finally just decided to trust what works for me and my skin and this is it. What good is having ageless skin if it's covered with pimples anyways? As far as aging, I haven't noticed any. I do have smile lines but those are genetic cause my brother and dad both have them. I have no crows feet or any other wrinkles. I have used this since I was 16 years old and I am now 27 and everyone thinks I am 18 when they first meet me. I hope this information helps anyone who is curious about the long term effects of benzoyl peroxide use. As far as irritation goes, for some skins, it takes about a week to build up a good tolerance for it. When I stopped using it and then started back up, it causes initial irritation in the form of mild itching and redness. After about 3 uses, my skin got used to it again and it was smooth (literally) sailing after that. This will dry your skin and how much depends on your skin type and how frequently you use this. I have combination dry skin and this sucks most oil out of my skin which is why it keeps me clear. To replenish moisture, I use l'oreals youth code day/night cream and that works for me. Leave on benzoyl peroxide is unnecessary and severely irritating to most people. I would try this cleanser before ever resorting to that. I highly recommend this!

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/12/2005 4:54:00 AM More reviews by misanthropy

this is very good mask/cleanser for the price. it seems to work well on pores but its not very good as a make up cleanser. I only used it at night.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2005 3:56:00 PM More reviews by LadyRay713

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i found this sittin in my bathroom i figured why not ive tried damn near everythign else out there. so my skin is relativly good, i dont get pimples n im not dyin to apply lotion to my face all day. but ive got blackheads, and a ton of them. so i had slaped this stuff on, was doing the whole wasing thing, n then just let it sit on my face until i was done w/ my shower... give or take 20 min later... pretty much after the coolin effect stoped, i took it off. at first i was like not bad... my blackheads werent as dark, my pores are noticeably smaller, still noticeable, but smaller then b4, i was just really impressed w/ the way it made the blackheads alot smaller

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2005 4:59:00 PM More reviews by angelbabie53

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product because of the reviews on this website about a month ago and let me tell you, my skin is lookin clearer than ever. I never really got too many break outs, just the occassional zit especially around that time of the month but i had maybe 2 zits in the past month. After using this my skiin feels soft and smooth. I definately recommend this and would buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2005 8:13:00 AM More reviews by AcidCandy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My new choice of cleanser, well for the time being anyway. I originally used it as a mask as I thought this would be too drying for my combo skin if I used it as a cleanser. Beforehand, I had a breakout on my forehead and I'm sure that this has slowly helped it to clear. I'm not fond of the smell but that doesn't put me off. Also, makes the perfect mild exfoliator when mixed with baking soda. My skin had never felt so soft!