MAC # 239 Eye Shader Brush

4.7

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Not sure this brush needs another review, but it is one of my favorite brushes (and i have over 100 - no i'm not kidding). This brush is good for an all over color, crease color or for blending. Its very soft with a lot of bristles but has a good taper which is what allows the brush to pick up a good amount of color. Since the bristles are also soft you wont find it gouging out your favorite soft texture shadows (like some of stilas shadows or mac's satin finish shadows) as some other brushes tend to do. The bristles are white which is why it appears "dirty" quickly, but all brushes get just as "dirty" you just notice it more on the white brushes. All you need is a good spray brush cleaner or wipe it after use on a makeup wipe if the color deposit really bothers you. Then give it a good clean with either a mild shampoo or brush cleaner on occasion. It's very durable and can stand up to frequent washing ( i fully wash every brush after every use - you have to when you're a professional). Whether you're a professional or not, this is definitely a brush you should have in your bag. On occasion mac comes out with a limited edition of this brush (usually with a colored handle instead of the standard black) which is usually also a short handle - good for someone who likes to keep their brushes in a small makeup bag or purse.

on 1/31/2006 10:17:00 PM

The most amazing brush...ever. I use it EVERY time I apply eyeshadow. This is the most verasitle brush ever!! I only have one but I really need like 10. Its the BEST eyeshadow brush in the world!!

on 1/30/2006 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This brush is a workhorse. It works well with cream and powder products and is wonderful for packing color on the lid. Its size however also lets it work well as a crease blush (especially for defnined crease colors and application) and a blending between colors. I wish the handle were a bit shorter but that's a very minor quibble. When I travel I take this and a 224 SE and I need no other eye brushes because they cover everything I would need to do. Love this brush. Only thing I can't use it for is to apply gel liner (but I can use it to smudge it). A great value given its versatility.

on 1/25/2006 10:52:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I love this brush so much, I want another one but Iím trying to determine if I really need it. Whether I apply eye shadow with a wet or dry brush, my handy 239 always picks up just the right amount of shadow and deposits it perfectly on my lids. The bristles are dense and soft, so they donít scratch or irritate my eyelids. Having been the owner of poor quality lower end brushes, I can honestly say that the brush you use greatly affects the appearance of your eye shadow. MAC brushes are expensive but are completely worth the splurge because your shadows will apply more evenly and smoothly.

on 1/23/2006 8:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I waited way too long to try this brush..I used the 213 for applying shadows & pigments but never really liked it..Just put up with it as I hadn't found a better brush yet..I heard all the raves about this but continued to pass it up because it seems I always hate what everyone likes(and visa versa) Finally broke down and got this brush and the Clouds parted,the sun shown down and all was right with the world..It gives you control of your shadows so you can either load them on,or apply sheerly.A MUST for applying pigments

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

If you can only afford one eye brush, get this one! Nice and dense hair, nice sturdy handle, and relatively affordable at $24USD. This brush his the do it all from browbone, to wash, to crease. I do hate that the hairs are white, as it always looks dirty, but I am just being anal.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

I really love the 239. All you really need to do your eyes is this and 217. This really packs on the color, and because I am just learning how to master the art of blending and using more than 2 colors on my eyes, this covers a lot of area without being too messy. I love this brush so much I have 2 of them!

on 11/21/2005 9:45:00 PM

This is the only brush you need- other brushes are lovely and useful as well, but this is the only one you NEED. The 239 picks up just the right amount of pigment and spreads it on your eye like a dream. I've used it with every eyeshadow formula that MAC makes (including pigments), and it worked beautifully with them all. Before I bought this brush I thought that my cheapo sponge applicators were just fine. Well, I was wrong. This brush brought me from makeup amateur to semi-pro. Now if I could just master the art of the crease...

God bless MAC for putting this brush out onto the market.Without it,my smoky eyes would be half of what they are.I'd be lost in the eye makeup department without this little gem.It builds color like nothing else and really keeps it "pure".The white bristles are so soft,almost like rabbit hair.An all-time HG/essential for me,right up there with my Dr.Brandt Poreless cleanser and MAC Lustreglasses.

on 10/14/2005 11:57:00 AM

I was sooo hesitant to buy this brush. I have never paid that much for a brush before...but the sales person said that a really good quality brush can make a world of difference in how your eyeshadow looks, so I crossed my fingers and handed over the $24. Luckily, it's true! I love this brush. I use it everyday. It makes any color go on exactly as you want it, and the quality is the same as the day I bought it. As others have said, it is white so even after using it one day it looks absolutely soaked in color, but I clean it at least once a week and it comes off pretty easily. So yourself a favor and buy this brush! Even if you can only afford to get one great brush, this is it.

Video Reviews & Tutorials