Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

3.9

Active ingredients: Octinoxate 6% Titanium dioxide 5.6% Inactive ingredients: Aqua, Methyl Trimethicone, Alcohol, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Talc, Butylene Glycol, Isododecane, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate PEG-10 Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Alumina, Aluminum hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Magnesium sulfate, Parfum, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Water, Methylparaben, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sodium Hyaluronate, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dipropylene glycol, Polyurethane, BHT, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Tocopherol, Propylparaben, Ultramarines, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77891, Mica

I paid £31.00 for this product and do not regret it! Saying that, it is far from perfect.
Overall i love the coverage it gives me, medium-light, definitley not a full coverage foundation and i do use powder over the top. It is also, i found incredibly long lasting and streak free. I am in the shade B20 and was actually inbetween shades at the counter, i chose the lighter one as i felt it was closer to my skintone. There we have a con, limited shade ranges. If you are extremley pale i do not recommend this founationas it will not have a light enough shade for you.The price, is as expected for a chanel foundation, you pay for the name. Another inconvenience is how hard you have to shake it so that the product doesn't come out in a vile semi-water consistency. Finally, it is a lot smaller than other chanel foundations, but do not be fooled, there is still 30ml of product in there

I'm going to start with the foundations that I have used and the shade:

MAC Full Coverage Foundation in C35,NC35 and NW25.
MAC Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation in 2
MAC Studio Fix in NC35 and NC40
MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Fondation in NC30

Lancome Color Ideal in Bisque

L'Oreal True Match in w4.5

Maybelline Fit Me in 220
Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse in Sandy Beige

Revlon Colorstay in Early Tan and Natural Tan

None of the above have ever come close to matching my skin tone.They are either too yellow or not yellow enough. They are too heavy and make me break out. Or they make my dry patches very noticable or look worse.

Then there was Chanel. I went to an event with a national makeup artist.He took a look at my skin,asked what my concerns were (I wanted a full coverage foundation to cover break outs) and what my face care routine was.He suggested Vitalumiere Aqua in 30 Beige.He said that because I have combination/oily skin with dry patches,I shouldn't use a foundation that is too heavy or one that is too moisturizing because it could make me break out even more (even though I have dry patches). He was so right!

Vitalumiere Aqua 30 Beige matches my skin perfectly.I don't get that "face mask" look like I did from the other foundations. In the areas where my skin is dry it does not make them stick out. And when I do get break outs, I can build the coverage up to cover them or use a little concealer on the spots.The foundation feels light and comfortable. And the smell is great compared to the others as well.

on 3/16/2012 2:19:00 PM

I love this foundation. I forget I'm wearing it and it just suits my combination/dry kin perfect. Gives a really nice glow

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I think I have officially found my HG foundation! I was so hesitant in getting this, but after trying out the sample, I knew no other foundation I had ever tried could compare. I have tried so many products for the Maybelline Fit Me to Mac Pro Longwear to Laura Mercier, and nothing compares to this foundation. My main concern was discoloration and acne scars. I also have pretty dry skin and while everything else i've tried seeming to accentuate my dry skin and make me look super matte and give me a caked-on effect, the Chanel foundation applied so smoothly and gave me such a natural, healthy, dewy look. It looked like I wasn't wearing any foundation at all! I personally built this foundation up the a medium coverage, but even that seemed to much as a little goes a long way with this product. Although it is pretty pricey, it will probably last a while (especially if you're like me, and don't wear foundation on a daily basis).
I would recommend this foundation, and would highly suggest trying out the sample if you're on the fence about making the purchase.

on 3/13/2012 7:17:00 PM

I think I've found my HG foundation! I use the shade B20 and it matches my skin perfectly. It seems to stay on the whole day and it doesn't accentuate any dryness on my dry skin. It is pricey, but it is definitely worth trying. It took me 9 months to get through one bottle, so a little goes a long way! The best way I've found to apply it is with my fingers (make sure to shake well first!). I then put some of Mac's MSFN on top. One thing that bugs me about this is the bottle. You can't see how much product is left and you must cover the opening with your finger while you shake it, otherwise the foundation will leak out. Although, it is travel friendly since it's plastic. It is a light to medium coverage, so if you are looking for something that will cover every flaw then this is not the best foundation for you. However, I love this foundation because it feels like you don't have makeup on. If you've been wanting to try this out, I suggest grabbing a sample from a Chanel counter. I guarantee you will fall in love!

on 3/11/2012 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Gawdammit, Chanel. You f*cked up my skin bad!

Normally, my dry Asian skin is clear and blemish-free, and I only wear light foundation to even out my skin tone. I heard the raves about Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua Hydra compact creme from Asia. Then I saw Lisa Eldridge used it on herself and from thereon I was determined to try it. I went to a local Macy's, asked about it and learned that the item was not yet released in the US so I thought I would try the fluid version first. At the counter, it looked promising. The consistency is watery, seemingly hydrating, and achieved a very natural look. I got a sample, wore it for one day and then BAM!! My face broke out and, as I'm typing this, I currently look like I'm suffering a bout of the chicken pox.

In fact, it feels like I have the chicken pox. It's not the typical acne but a full blown allergic rash on my face. In fact, the skin of my face is swollen, sensitive, is even dryer, and it itches like a mofo. I was horrified when I saw numerous blemishes all over my face. My face has never looked this bad.

I never worried too much about trying new things on my face because my skin wasn't too sensitive. Confused and mad, I started researching what ingredient my body could be reacting so badly to. Stupidly, I never paid attention to the ingredients list. If I had bothered to look and learn what they mean, I would know that alcohol (the denatured kind) was the third thing on the list. That's pretty damn high on the list! This kind of alcohol serves to make the watery foundation dry faster, and it is really bad for the skin. In fact, my research told me that this kind of alcohol is usually used in gasoline and acetone. Some people have used this with no break outs (lucky them!) but I would say that long use of any product with denatured alcohol would have negative effects on the skin in the long run. So steer clear of it. If I could, I would give this product a zero rating. Chanel schmanel!! Don't get caught up with the name and get caught up in the ingredients list instead. A high-end brand does not guarantee a quality product. Hopefully my face recovers without scars. :'(

P.S. I'm definitely going to avoid the Vitalumiere Hydra compact creme version too.

on 3/9/2012 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this product for almost a week now. I have oily skin, and have problems finding a foundation that didn't make it worse, or break me out. So far, I have not broke out. And I don't get oily, but rather I have a nice glow. It feels nice. It doesn't have alot of coverage, but evens out the skin beautifully. I have no complaints so far. The only thing that brought down the lippies is the bottle. You shake it for the best result, but it gets in the cap and is a tad messy. Other than that, I like it.
UPDATE: I returned this product. I used it for about two weeks. Was starting to get small breakouts. My skin was oily very quickly in the day. And the staying power wasn't there. Hate it now. Still recovering from what it did to my skin.

on 3/9/2012 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

Gave me a great glow!

on 3/7/2012 7:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I love this foundation , The texture is amazing and so easy to work with. B10 is a great match for my Nc15 skin. And it lasts on my oily skin. The Coverage is slightly lighter than I am used to so I wear this when my Skin is in really good condition. Would buy this again , especially for the summer if i holds up would be a lovely light weight foundation. I do wish there was some way to tell how much was left in the bottle though .

on 3/6/2012 4:19:00 PM

Packaging is excellent, easy to travel with, easy to shake the heck out of it without fear of damaging it. I am OK with the price as a bottle lasts me something like 6 months.
When I buy a foundation, I want something that conceals the redness at the center of my face and and leaves a natural, real-skin finish. This foundation does that very well. I took one point off because it does not seem to last me an 8 hour workshift (I dont powder it at all, just blot my nose when it gets oily). When I look back at photos with me wearing this foundation, I wonder if I will ever buy any other.
When Im breaking out I long for a higher coverage foundation, because this hardly conceals my blemishes at all.
I wear this in BR10 (added a photo), sometimes it feels as if its a tiny tad too dark under certain lighting but it looks spot-on in the photo so I dont know =/ Definitely buying again, though!