December 21, 2014 | 868 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

REFORMULATED. Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=153868/ColorStay-Makeup-%2824-hour-formula---2012/2013%29/Revlon/Liquid

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2004 4:46:00 PM More reviews by too_pale_for_words

As others have observed, this is a heavy-coverage foundation that can dry the skin. However, I have oily skin with occasional breakouts, so these qualities aren't bad ones in my opinion.

Pros: Very long-lasting. Good coverage of flaws. Matte appearance. The lightest colour in the line (Ivory) looks good on my PPP complexion. Packaging is recyclable (glass), which for me counts for a lot... I don't want my "beauty" to translate into a mound of landfill someday.

Cons: Can look pasty or masklike if overapplied. Dries almost instantly upon application, and is not easy to remove. Doesn't include SPF - which all foundations should, in my opinion. (How come Colorstay Lite Makeup has SPF 15, while Colorstay Makeup has none? Does Revlon imagine that Colorstay Makeup customers are immune to skin cancer?)

Solutions to "cons": I begin by putting on my preferred light moisturizer-with-sunscreen (Lubriderm UV 15), then applying Colorstay very sparingly. The remaining traces of moisturizer give the extra "glide" I need to smooth and blend the foundation.

Extras: When I want lighter foundation, which is most of the time, I use Colorstay Lite (Ivory). However, if I have a blemish or reddened skin, I use a dab or two of the heavier Colorstay foundation as spot coverage to hide the problem. Colorstay Ivory and Colorstay Lite Ivory blend very nicely! continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 2/23/2004 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Timid1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well, this foundation is mattyfing which is nice. But it's kinda hard to put on due to drying pretty quickly. I know it sounds weird for a liquid foundation. I can't really see the foundation on me, it looks like I don't have it on. I think I'll go back to MAC.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2004 5:27:00 AM More reviews by chipotlechica1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

overall, I like this. If you are looking for something that doesn't provide a lot of coverage, this isn't for you. I typically have oily skin, but have only used this in winter and haven't had problems. I apply moisturizer before using this, and it makes application much easier.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2004 6:34:00 PM More reviews by SparklyPinkCoconut

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

If you're looking for something dry and chalky that will slide all over your face throughout the day,
I highly recomend this!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2004 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Bernardi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Yuk. Lately I've tried to experiment with drugstore brands of foundations, and the conclusion I've come to for myself, is that you have to spend the bucks and get good foundation. This made me look gray, it didn't glide on very well at all and I literally felt it on my face. Terrible foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2004 11:25:00 PM More reviews by lorien

I love Revlon Colorstay foundation. I wear Buff and it's the greatest match among my big pile of foundations. It doesn't come off at all and stays put all day. Whenever I wear it, people say I have gorgeous skin, but indeed I don't :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2004 2:57:00 PM More reviews by GlamourKitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This make-up did wonders for me! I have been using it for quite some time. It gives me that flawless look thats very difficult for me to achieve. I have acne scars :::Sighs:: but this does the trick for me. Kinda hard to blend but otherwise works great. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2004 5:46:00 PM More reviews by MyNewHobby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This review is for ColorStay Natural. All I have to say is WOW! Use a brush to lightly apply this and a flawless face emerges. I am extremely impressed with how light and natural looking this is. It does not work well under my eyes(dark circles) so, I use regular CS with Maybelling Smooth Results Concealer and Clinique Continuous Coverage Concealer. Absolutely Flawless! I am fair w/combo skin and Ivory is a perfect match.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2004 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Designkelly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation, its my HG. I've repurchased it various times over the years and have yet to find something better. I've stuck with it and have not regretted it. Everytime I look for another foundation I stop and realize how much I like this one...I hope it never becomes discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2004 10:56:00 PM More reviews by atomic_girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

There are definite pros and cons to Revlon Colorstay Foundation.

Pros: I have oily skin that's a bit red and blotchy due to severe acne that I suffered from years ago, so I look for foundations that provide medium to full coverage and have a matte finish. Colorstay has one of the nicest finishes I've ever encountered: it's smooth, even, and velvety, and doesn't emphasize my large pores or settle into themm The colour Buff matches my light skin well and doesn't have any pink or orange tone to it. And this foundation's claims of not rubbing off and staying put are very true...which brings me to...

Cons: This foundation is very tricky to apply. You can't use your fingers to blend it; a sponge is necessary (I found that a sponge-on-a-stick type brush worked OK, but even then, it was very difficult to blend). It sets very quickly, so if you make a mistake and overapply, you're out of luck, although a bit of powder can camouflage application errors. Finally, this makeup is rather difficult to wash off. After a few wipes with a baby wipe, scrubbing with Noxzema and a washcloth, and going over my face with toner, I was STILL picking up traces of makeup.

Another minor gripe: I hate glass bottles for foundation, and this one has a particularly wide opening, so it's very easy to pour out too much. A pump or a squeeze tube would be much more convenient!

Conclusion: Although I love the way it looks, Revlon Colorstay Foundation is not worth the trouble for everyday wear. I'll save it for special occasions. continued >>