October 1, 2014 | 1891 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2004 10:56:00 PM More reviews by atomic_girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

There are definite pros and cons to Revlon Colorstay Foundation.

Pros: I have oily skin that's a bit red and blotchy due to severe acne that I suffered from years ago, so I look for foundations that provide medium to full coverage and have a matte finish. Colorstay has one of the nicest finishes I've ever encountered: it's smooth, even, and velvety, and doesn't emphasize my large pores or settle into themm The colour Buff matches my light skin well and doesn't have any pink or orange tone to it. And this foundation's claims of not rubbing off and staying put are very true...which brings me to...

Cons: This foundation is very tricky to apply. You can't use your fingers to blend it; a sponge is necessary (I found that a sponge-on-a-stick type brush worked OK, but even then, it was very difficult to blend). It sets very quickly, so if you make a mistake and overapply, you're out of luck, although a bit of powder can camouflage application errors. Finally, this makeup is rather difficult to wash off. After a few wipes with a baby wipe, scrubbing with Noxzema and a washcloth, and going over my face with toner, I was STILL picking up traces of makeup.

Another minor gripe: I hate glass bottles for foundation, and this one has a particularly wide opening, so it's very easy to pour out too much. A pump or a squeeze tube would be much more convenient!

Conclusion: Although I love the way it looks, Revlon Colorstay Foundation is not worth the trouble for everyday wear. I'll save it for special occasions. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 1/4/2004 4:00:00 PM More reviews by puckerup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

YUCK!!! Did not work with my very oily skin. I was oily everywhere (cheeks, T-zone, chin) when I used this stuff. It enhanced my large pores, which was not a pretty picture. Not the type of girl that thinks only high end products are the bomb but this stuff...well, let's just say I will not repurchase. Like Revlon Colorstay Natural much better

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2004 5:05:00 AM More reviews by cherry_crush

dont even TRY blending this with your fingers. Compared to other foundations I LOVE the color, LOVE the consistency, but HATE the fact that unless you blend it within 6 seconds it dries and leaves lines that are impossible to rub off unless you clean your entire face. I guess this would be an excellent foundation if you know what youre doing, otherwise be careful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2004 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Eleanor_The_Cute

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had been looking for years for a foundation that stayed matte all day and wouldn't slide off . . . and I found it! Yay! Revlon ColorStay may be my Holy Grail (I'll have to wear it a few more times to be sure) because it keeps my oil-prone skin matte through a whole day working frozen foods at my local super Wal-Mart (read: hard physical labor), it sets to my skin quickly and I don't have to use powder or blotting papers, it feels light enough so my face feels naked but it covers well enough to hide cystic acne scars without looking cakey, it doesn't settle into my pores or move around on my face and every time I look in the mirror it really does look like I just applied it. I sweat at my job and even that doesn't phase this foundation. The bottle is a little aqward, and it's more expensive than most drugstore brands, and I do have to work fast to blend and I spend more time removing it at the end of the day than with other foundations, but those are merely minor, minor drawbacks which won't keep me from using it or from buying this makeup again. I am quite pleased with it overall. I wish I had tried it years ago! Update 02/18/04: The wide-necked bottle isn't a problem when I use a makeup sponge rather than my fingers. Sponges are more sanitary and you avoid getting oils in the makeup from your fingers, so I always use a sponge now. Applies and blends better with sponge, too. Am truly amazed at the staying power of this foundation. This is on my permanent Holy Grail list as the best heavy-duty coverage foundation with serious staying power & anti-shine properties.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2004 8:21:00 PM More reviews by perfumeslut

Skip this thick mess of a foundation and go straight to the paint store for some colored spackle. Unless you are 13 and experiencing terrible breakouts forget this. To much foundation when you hit 35 or so AGES you ladies. Stick to a lighter foundation like Loracs (which are the best) or try Revlons Colorstay Natural that has a much lighter consistency.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2003 11:19:00 AM More reviews by Racer_girl

I have been using this foundation since i first started wearing makeup (abt 3 years ago) And i have tried quite a lot of others (including high end brands)in between, none have matched up, and i keep repurchasing this over and over again.

It is a bit hard to blend if i compare it to other foundations, but i can live with that. Coverage is v.good, colour is great, not too yellowy or orangey looking, etc (i have alot of probs with foundation colors) It lasts all day, looks great and natural. plus, it's oil free and looks good in pictures. It doesn't look horrible at the end of the day like alot of foundations do.

Love it! I have yet to find something to match up.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2003 12:22:00 AM More reviews by playsomevinyl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

this makeup is way too thick and heavy. i like my foundation to look flawless and natural at the same time. this definitely isn't it. it makes me look terribly fake and dull...like i'm hiding something terribly ugly underneath. there is nothing pretty at all about it. unless you have extremely damaged skin you want to cover up, (this covers like a mask!) stay away from this. after a few weeks of using, my skin actually started to deteriorate. my pores also seemed to get noticebly larger as well. perhaps because it was so thick my skin wasn't able to breathe.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2003 6:34:00 PM More reviews by Ash50

I have been using the CSN for 6 months now with good results. However, I have been annoyed lately with my large pores and decided to give this foundation a try again as I used is for 4 years before CSN. I must admit, this keeps me looking matte all day long. It truly gives the best coverage of any foundation I've tried and I think that I will re-add it into my make up routine!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2003 10:33:00 PM More reviews by NewOrleansLady

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm very impressed with this. I live in a hot cliamte and didn't want to have to spend a lot of money on a "winter" foundation because I wouldn't get the chance to wear it as much (even in the winter).
    This has a good coverage, it hides my freckles. It does stay on all day but, that dosen't mean that it won't rub off onto clothes, or whatever it mayt come into contact with. No problems with acne or any other makeup induced problems. Although, my skin can, and has, taken to everything that I put on it without any problems. This is a heavy foundation, at least compared to what I am used to wearing, so your skin might react differently.
    Overall I'm happy that I gave it a chance.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/11/2003 4:55:00 AM More reviews by asianstudent

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this a while back before I became hooked onto MAC products. It's not bad per se, providing good matte coverage, but several things to point out (that have been previously mentioned)... a) need to moisterize and prime underneath to help it glide on better, b) need to powder on top to set it, c) it still rubs off very easily, d) still has to be used in conjunction with concealer if you have even moderate colored scarring. But I never had any problems with acne using this(and I have oily skin). It's not bad, but esp for my asian skin, I prefer MAC.