October 21, 2014 | 1867 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2004 5:30:00 AM More reviews by bunny207

This is my favorite drugstore foundation. This is a medium to full coverage foundation that isn't too thick. Also, it doesn't budge and lasts all day. I use it in Camois (MAC C3) and it's a perfect match. On me, it looks very natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2004 11:51:00 AM More reviews by WinterHobbes

This is a good, somewhat pricey foundation. It covers well, and looks natural. It can make your skin a little dry though. It was hard to blend, but I found that putting moisturizer on my skin beforehand made the product go on smoother. Also, if you don't have a good cleanser/makeup remover this isn't going to come off. It really does stay! I love that because I have oily skin and most foundations tend to slide off but not this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2004 9:52:00 AM More reviews by deefer

I have been using this foundation for over a month and i really thought it was my HG,it covered well, lasted all day, perfect but even their lightest shade (ivory) was making me orange (i hate that) blending it with moisturiser didnt hide that orange tide line, so im afraid ive given it up (untill the summer anyway) and am now giving urban decay a go at least this dosent come in that horrible glass bottle that revlon did!
    As soon as revlon produce a lighter shade for this it will be back up there on my makeup stand

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2004 9:19:00 AM More reviews by innamorata

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't really know how to rate this foundation. The color I purchased, Ivory, was a good match for my skin, although a little pale. But I could not tell if either of the next two colors, Buff or Nude, would work...so I stuck with Ivory. I have very pale skin with pink undertones that is way oily.

Application was iffy...it blended easily for me, but it just went on so thick! I don't like full coverage...who wants to see cake-y makeup on over a zit? You're not fooling anyone. This was definitely full-coverage makeup. I got around it a bit by applying with a damp makeup wedge...it did go on a bit more sheer, but not much. Plus, applying it this way increased the chances of streaky coverage.

It lasted about eight hours on me. After a couple of hours, I started to get incredibly shiny in the T-zone...but, unlike other makeup, the color itself didn't wash off, I was just oily. Using powder on top helped, although nothing I tried really worked (I tried Colorstay Powder and NYC Translucent). After eight hours there was evidence of the makeup breaking down...my nose started to look like the spackle was coming off...kind of that MJ tape-on-the-nose look. I definitely can't see me using this in the heat and humidity of a Midwestern summer. I think my skin was suffocating!

Which brings me to another point...I was driving myself crazy trying to figure out what this foundation reminded me of. I finally got it one day, as I was examining my face in the mirror...this reminds me of the makeup they put on the corpses at a funeral home!!! It's the same kind of look. NOT the best thought, huh!

And last...I think this is breaking my skin out...different than the zits I normally get. I've been very careful to remove all traces of this at night.

This really isn't working for me. Oddly enough, I don't have a problem with the wide-mouthed bottle...it makes it easier to use the sponge. The price is a bit much for a drugstore cosmetic...I paid eight bucks at Wal-Mart, but I've seen it as high as $13 at CVS.

UPDATE 4/20/04: I used this to cover a tattoo encircling the upper arm of an actor in our "Passion Play"...it just about covered it fully, although you could still see it slightly. The makeup did not come off during the play, however. Just thought that information might be useful to someone. :) continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2004 4:46:00 PM More reviews by too_pale_for_words

As others have observed, this is a heavy-coverage foundation that can dry the skin. However, I have oily skin with occasional breakouts, so these qualities aren't bad ones in my opinion.

Pros: Very long-lasting. Good coverage of flaws. Matte appearance. The lightest colour in the line (Ivory) looks good on my PPP complexion. Packaging is recyclable (glass), which for me counts for a lot... I don't want my "beauty" to translate into a mound of landfill someday.

Cons: Can look pasty or masklike if overapplied. Dries almost instantly upon application, and is not easy to remove. Doesn't include SPF - which all foundations should, in my opinion. (How come Colorstay Lite Makeup has SPF 15, while Colorstay Makeup has none? Does Revlon imagine that Colorstay Makeup customers are immune to skin cancer?)

Solutions to "cons": I begin by putting on my preferred light moisturizer-with-sunscreen (Lubriderm UV 15), then applying Colorstay very sparingly. The remaining traces of moisturizer give the extra "glide" I need to smooth and blend the foundation.

Extras: When I want lighter foundation, which is most of the time, I use Colorstay Lite (Ivory). However, if I have a blemish or reddened skin, I use a dab or two of the heavier Colorstay foundation as spot coverage to hide the problem. Colorstay Ivory and Colorstay Lite Ivory blend very nicely! continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 2/23/2004 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Timid1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well, this foundation is mattyfing which is nice. But it's kinda hard to put on due to drying pretty quickly. I know it sounds weird for a liquid foundation. I can't really see the foundation on me, it looks like I don't have it on. I think I'll go back to MAC.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2004 5:27:00 AM More reviews by chipotlechica1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

overall, I like this. If you are looking for something that doesn't provide a lot of coverage, this isn't for you. I typically have oily skin, but have only used this in winter and haven't had problems. I apply moisturizer before using this, and it makes application much easier.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2004 6:34:00 PM More reviews by SparklyPinkCoconut

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

If you're looking for something dry and chalky that will slide all over your face throughout the day,
    I highly recomend this!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2004 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Bernardi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Yuk. Lately I've tried to experiment with drugstore brands of foundations, and the conclusion I've come to for myself, is that you have to spend the bucks and get good foundation. This made me look gray, it didn't glide on very well at all and I literally felt it on my face. Terrible foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2004 11:25:00 PM More reviews by lorien

I love Revlon Colorstay foundation. I wear Buff and it's the greatest match among my big pile of foundations. It doesn't come off at all and stays put all day. Whenever I wear it, people say I have gorgeous skin, but indeed I don't :)