Revlon ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

3.8

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (7.3%) Inactive Ingredients: Aqua/Water (Water), Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, SD Alcohol 40B, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Nylon 12, Tribehenin, Isododecane, Polyisobutene, Sodium Chloride, Cetyl PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Bisabolol, Serica (Silk Powder), Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Malva Sylvestris Flower Extract (Mallow), Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract (Lily), Lactobacillus/Eridictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum Flower Extract, Alumina, Polydimethylsiloxane/Polymethysilesquioxane Copolymer, Ethylene Brassylate, Methicone, Trisiloxane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain (+/-): Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)

on 10/27/2004 1:07:00 AM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I'm an asian MMM, which means I have yellow undertones. I have this foundation in Sand and it works well. Not great, but good enough. The color match is alright, though in certain lightings (like ugly white flourescent lights in buildings) sometimes the foundation looks too pinkish.

As the bottle warns, you have to work quickly so the foundation doesn't set in patches all over your face. The easiest way to do it is not to do the usual five dots all over the face, but to do one area (e.g. forehead), one dot at a time. This is not a big problem though, and the tradeoff is a foundation that does stay on the face longer than non-long-lasting ones.

The coverage is not too heavy, which means certain blemishes will show through (for me this means a few dark pimple marks). I find this acceptable, as I don't want to go out with a mask on my face; all I really need is a nice long-wearing foundation which will even up my splotchy skin. I suggest you don't try to layer the foundation on too thickly, as I believe this is when it gets cakey, as other reviewers have said. Use a good concealer to hide blemishes or undereye circles instead. The foundation lasts almost the eight hours of my workday. I actually like it better an hour after I've put it on, as by then the just-put-on-foundation look is gone, and the effect is more natural.

The foundation stays on well enough to take powder and even gel (yes, gel!) blushes. I would consider repurchasing this, though I'd try other brands/lines first. I'm off to try Max Factor's Colour Adapt next, as I really want a natural look that will work well in any lighting.

on 10/25/2004 9:20:00 PM

I purchased this foundation b/c I was sick of my makeup fading after 2 hours. I found a pretty good colormatch (natural tan). Excellent coverage, no color-change and the foundation really did last all day. However, I do have two complaints: The glass bottle with the overly large opening is an accident waiting to happen and the texture can be a little cakey. Otherwise really good stuff.

on 10/23/2004 6:45:00 PM

Big Lots had this for .99 (yes, 99 cents). Reviews below are accurate. I'm a Merle Norman fan, but for the price, this can't be beat!

on 10/18/2004 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Well, to address the application problem: I suggest (for oily skin or combination skin), begin with a light moisturiser. before this sets, apply a layer of ColorStay Natural in your chosen shade. This takes a couple of minutes to set, so during this time, apply ColorStay foundation to any areas which need 'concealer-type' coverage. This eliminates the pore-showing problem and the mask effect. I do lots of late nights and went to a fashion show in this and the makeup artist asked who did my makeup! I wear this combination daily and find it'll all come off with Neutrogena's daily cleanser and cotton pads. And I never find it rubbed off on my clothes. A total favourite. However, if you want to avoid chemicals but want that flawless look, use Bare Minels instead. Takes practice but well worth it.

on 10/13/2004 10:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Cakey, cakey, cakey. It definately provides maximum coverage, but you also look like your face will crack if you smile too often. It pools in the pores so they look highly defined. Not a natural look. Difficult to apply also because it dries very quickly and so you have to spread it on your face as quickly as possible. Also, the mouth of the bottle is HUGE, so it is very easy to spill when you're trying to get the product out. It would be much better if there was a pump attachment. Despite all that, it did provide maximum coverage and did not turn orange. It appeared slighly pink in the bottle (Ivory), and I have yellow-based skin so I was a little concerned, however the color evened out on my skin and matched well. Would not recommend unless you have sever blemishes.

on 10/12/2004 1:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

After reading a local newspaper article that was about this specific foundation and how everyone liked it, I tried it. It works! Covers wonderfully and doesn't move all day. I do use a moisturizer (dry skin) and then Smashboxs Primer first. I DO use a MAKEUP BRUSH (Paul Dorf)and it does make one heck of a difference! I can put the foundation on quickly and smoothly (it does say on the bottle to Blend Quickly. I also do one half of my face at a time. I then use my MAC concealer and it blends in beautifully. I have been wearing it for 2 weeks now, looking for something bad to say about it! Nothing really.. I see other reviews have talked about it cakeing up, but I have not had that problem. I can say it's hard to clean it off my makeup brush, but I'll trade that for a nice finish on my face any time! Will buy again!

on 10/5/2004 3:10:00 PM

i've been using this colorstay makeup in natural beige ever since they came out with the colorstay foundation line...so i guess maybe 6 or 7 yrs now? I actually don't wear it as a foundation (i think the coverage would be too heavy for me), i actually use it as a concealor to cover skin flaws (pimples, scars, brown spots) and its great for that because it stays on without rubbing off. i just dot a little on the area that needs to be concealed with my finger or small brush. so one bottle lasts long time for me. Stopped using this, i think it might have been clogging my pores, started using BE mineral concealer - multitasking.

on 10/3/2004 9:30:00 AM

I bought this product because i had a go to ball to, and had applied so much fake tan that my normal foundation (elizabeth arden bare perfection) didn't match my skin. The MA helped me find a great match for my "new" skin colour, which with the coverage of this is really important. The coverage is meant to be full, but you could apply just a thin layer to get sheer coverage. Stayed put all night when i used it with SM primer, and Jurlique silk dust. The glass container was pretty awlful but i would buy this product again because it does what its meant to!!! Update: don't use this if you want to look great in pictures, goes horribly white in photo's

on 9/30/2004 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have an oily complexion with some scarring from blemishes as a teenager. This product is overall the best I have tried, and I have tried them all from cheap drugstore buys to department stores. Revlon is a classic in my opinion.

on 9/20/2004 11:08:00 PM

After using Clinique for years, I thought there HAD to be a better mattifying foundation for my pinkish combination skin to even out skin tone and not break me out. Since using this, my skin looks perfect, even without powder all day and does not look masky or cakey at all. Blending is easy when done fast (as I do) but I feel this would not be good for very dry skin. The color selection is great especially because they are pink based compared to the orangey tones from drugstore brands that normally dont match my skin at all. This is my HG foundation and will never need to try anything else!