October 25, 2014 | 1846 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2008 3:24:00 PM More reviews by obliviondust

me:

my skin is usually rough and dry to the touch with some flaking in areas which is usually made worse and more noticable with any kind of make-up (primer, concealer, foundation, powders etc)...however, as the day progresses, my skin becomes oily and shiny in the t-zone.
this is super frustrating and i've found myself obsessively exfoliating and moisturizing and oil blotting usually every day through out the day.
when i take the time and get ready to go out on the town, i have a routine:
-cleansing and gently exfoliating
-moisturizing with a simple goat's milk lotion that has been working just as well, if not more so than any chemical packed facial moisturizer
-concealing with either Jane's 'No Show' concealer (which is brilliant and everyone should own it) or Benefit's 'Lemon-Aid'--which i lightly apply with an angled brush for just the right coverage and blending (which also has been working very well on any red areas)
-applying a very small amount of liquid foundation to even out my skin tone and cover my very visible pores on my cheeks and the sides of my nose (i use estee lauder Futurist age-resisting, and it does a great job of looking natural, hiding my pores and not looking cakey and too dry)
-after i finish prepping the canvas so-to-speak, i follow up with the the usual make-up application and i'm good to go and my skin looks flawless and great.
the only catch is that i must blot the oily spots once every so often and lightly dust those areas with a very small amount of powder (i use ben nye's translucent face powder which works very well with my skin)...of course, this isn't really a big deal and i should be content that i have finally found a routine that works well with my skin and looks great on me.

however, i'm always on the look out for something that could possibly work even better and help simplify my routine--especially when i wake up early in the morning for work and don't have time to do all that.

so...since summer is creeping up and the weather where i live is starting to get warmer, i decided on a whim, on a trip to rite aid, that i wanted to purchase a light, natural looking foundation that would be appropriate for this time of year.
i decided on buying a mineral powder--as i have never tried one before. i also assumed that being a powder, it might also help to hide my pores. i settled on the physician's formula mineral wear simply because i have used their products before with good results and it was a few dollars less expensive than the other products i saw--and i am a cheap b*stard.

the product:

later that day, i washed my face, moisturized, concealed a tiny bit and used the Mineral Wear...the packaging was confusing and bulky--but i didn't mind so much because i am so used to improvising with my make-up and the way i use it. though i purchased a color that seemed to match my skin tone, it came out making me look a little ruddier and more tan than i was expecting. and that was definitely a negative as i'm all about my very pale, slightly olive skin tone. i guess tan isn't even the right word....it just made my face look kind of dirty--especially after i put on even a tiny amount of blush. it dried my skin out a bit in areas, making for a little flakage. but it seemed to cover my pores decently, so i finished up and went out for walk and took pictures and whatnot. when i returned home a little more than an hour later, i noticed my skin just looked far darker than when i had left...just gross and dirty and shiny and the worst of it was, my pores looked like massive craters. i looked as though i had been through hell and back. or like i had just applied self-tanning lotion only to my face. when i uploaded all the pictures on my camera, the good quality of the pictures only disturbed me more because my pores were SO noticable.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

epilogue:

do not buy this. i expect it MIGHT work well on someone with basically perfect skin, who doesn't even need any kind of foundation to begin with....but if that's the case, what's the point?
had i simply done my usual routine, i would have looked fine and i would have had $10 to spend on a a few beers or something more enjoyable.
i'd feel to wasteful getting rid of this, so i suppose i will try to use it in the capacity of a body powder. but i'm not getting my hopes up, that's for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2008 9:11:00 PM More reviews by thevillageghost

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm allergic to Bare Minerals, but have such crazy skin the liquid or solid foundations break me out or turn my skin red. This doesn't. It covers very, very good on it's own, and the little brush that comes with it is great. The coverage lasts all day. I will definetly purchase this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/10/2008 11:12:00 PM More reviews by TheGirlin14G

I bought this in a bind.. I went home from college for a weekend, and ended up forgetting my entire makeup bag, including my Bare Minerals, at home... Waste of $10. It made me break out really badly... but even if I hadn't broke out I don't think I'd have continued using it because the coverage wasn't great.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2008 12:34:00 AM More reviews by sanckensmom

I bought this to wear as a finishing powder to use over my liquid foundation...I bought it because it said talc free..it broke me out, I returned it. I do not recomend for acne prone skin..

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2008 10:12:00 PM More reviews by silkyskin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hate. I know it's a very strong word, but I have a very strong (negative) opinion of this. I thought I'd give it a try since I seem to have a talc sensitivity, and this is talc-free. Well, I've been using it for about a week, and it has totally clogged up my pores. I haven't changed anything else, so I know it's this. I thought it would be an easier option for me, being available at the ds, but nothing is worth this kinds of congestion. And for being a ds, it isn't cheap. Luckily I got it from CVS, it can be returned. The packaging sucks & the brush is horrible (not that I expected it to be anything else). Seriously, don't bother.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2008 4:10:00 PM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've tried this numerous times over the past few years, trying to make it work for my skin. I've tried different shades, along with different application techniques and so on. I've finally come to the conclusion, this is just a crappy foundation. I picked it up recently at Target for around $11. Seems like a lot for a drugstore foundation, but you get 14g of product, which is much more than other compaines provide. One container, with everyday use, can usually last me around two months, maybe more. The packaging, as others have said, sounds good in theory, but in use is disasterous. The mini kabuki included is scratchy, and the bristles aren't bound tight enough together for it to work as a foundation brush. Plus, after using it only one time, I had the hairs of the brush all over my clothes and face. I grabbed my EcoTools kabuki to use instead, but I'm still not happy. Trying to get the powder out is easy, but once you open the container, it flys everywhere. You don't have much room to swirl and tap, because the opening of the container is very shallow. That causes even more product to fly about. As for the application, it's very time consuming. The powder doesn't really blend into your skin, no matter how much you try to buff it in. The coverage is light, and no matter how much I tried to cake it up, I couldn't get it to cover redness and minor acne scarring. The end result is pretty bad. For some reason, no matter what shade I purchased, it looked orange. You can still clearly see blemishes and scarring through the makeup, and it's very apparent I have powder on. The staying power is pretty bad, too. It doesn't last long at all, and seems to look worse as the day progresses, and this isn't something you can easily carry around and reapply. I definitely won't be trying this again. The pressed powder version is an excellent mineral foundation that I'd definitely recommend over this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2008 1:21:00 PM More reviews by heartofnapalm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used to use liquid foundations because I thought they covered better. But I was starting to get tired of that "cakey" feeling that most liquids end up with, plus I was breaking out horribly (even while using oil-free, noncomedogenic formulas). So I turned to this foundation.. and I love it! It covers really well for a powder, and if I need to cover any pimples I just use my finger to rub a bit more powder on top of them. The brush is useless, but I don't feel the need to complain about it - just find and use a better brush! Not that hard to do. The oil-control of this powder could be a bit better, but I just set it with a bit of MAC Blotting Powder and my skins stays matte for a bit longer. The powder feels MUCH lighter than any liquid formula I've ever used, and it doesn't turn cakey by the middle of the day. The best part: my skin is finally clearing!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2008 4:23:00 PM More reviews by unseelie_fae

Nah, color me unimpressed. If you have even remotely pale skin, forget it. This only comes in brown and browner. I had to mix it with a pale powder to get it to a wearable color. anyway, the brush they provide is too small and too harsh for a decent application. The coverage is so-so. The thing that really bugs me is that after a few hours of wear, my face feels dirty, though it also fades and gets shiny. I'm not buying any more of this stuff. You can use it as regular powder on top of liquid foundation and your face won't feel dirty, if you already bought it and can't bear to throw away something you paid for.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/30/2008 2:01:00 PM More reviews by macleveland

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've tried mineral formulas before (l'oreal bn) and i've been somewhat happy with them but this one has missed the mark. I have some redness that I like to cover up and this formula doesn't do a very good job of it. Too sheer! Also, my slightly dry t-zone looks terrible when it's applied. It makes my skin feel much drier. The packaging wasn't great either. I liked the fact that the kabuki brush wasn't attached to the lid but when trying to open the package, I broke the sifter lid. Plus, I find this makeup makes a much bigger mess of my vanity, my clothes and my hair as it tends to fly everywhere upon application.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2008 5:35:00 PM More reviews by Sounds_Major

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like this powder. I don't have problem skin, except for a small bit of redness around my nose. This powder covers it well and I usually only need to reapply if I am going out that night. I have found that Bare Minerals and other more expensive mineral powders are too heavy for my face (if that is even possible). With those I look like I'm wearing makeup. With this, I just use a concealer brush to cover the red areas and any blemishes, then I use a kabuki brush to apply the powder all over my face. It looks natural and evens out my skintone. As I said, I don't have problem skin, so this may not work for everyone, but I love it.