July 31, 2014 | 1451 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 4/8/2008 12:34:00 AM More reviews by sanckensmom

I bought this to wear as a finishing powder to use over my liquid foundation...I bought it because it said talc free..it broke me out, I returned it. I do not recomend for acne prone skin..

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2008 10:12:00 PM More reviews by silkyskin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hate. I know it's a very strong word, but I have a very strong (negative) opinion of this. I thought I'd give it a try since I seem to have a talc sensitivity, and this is talc-free. Well, I've been using it for about a week, and it has totally clogged up my pores. I haven't changed anything else, so I know it's this. I thought it would be an easier option for me, being available at the ds, but nothing is worth this kinds of congestion. And for being a ds, it isn't cheap. Luckily I got it from CVS, it can be returned. The packaging sucks & the brush is horrible (not that I expected it to be anything else). Seriously, don't bother.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2008 4:10:00 PM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've tried this numerous times over the past few years, trying to make it work for my skin. I've tried different shades, along with different application techniques and so on. I've finally come to the conclusion, this is just a crappy foundation. I picked it up recently at Target for around $11. Seems like a lot for a drugstore foundation, but you get 14g of product, which is much more than other compaines provide. One container, with everyday use, can usually last me around two months, maybe more. The packaging, as others have said, sounds good in theory, but in use is disasterous. The mini kabuki included is scratchy, and the bristles aren't bound tight enough together for it to work as a foundation brush. Plus, after using it only one time, I had the hairs of the brush all over my clothes and face. I grabbed my EcoTools kabuki to use instead, but I'm still not happy. Trying to get the powder out is easy, but once you open the container, it flys everywhere. You don't have much room to swirl and tap, because the opening of the container is very shallow. That causes even more product to fly about. As for the application, it's very time consuming. The powder doesn't really blend into your skin, no matter how much you try to buff it in. The coverage is light, and no matter how much I tried to cake it up, I couldn't get it to cover redness and minor acne scarring. The end result is pretty bad. For some reason, no matter what shade I purchased, it looked orange. You can still clearly see blemishes and scarring through the makeup, and it's very apparent I have powder on. The staying power is pretty bad, too. It doesn't last long at all, and seems to look worse as the day progresses, and this isn't something you can easily carry around and reapply. I definitely won't be trying this again. The pressed powder version is an excellent mineral foundation that I'd definitely recommend over this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2008 1:21:00 PM More reviews by heartofnapalm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used to use liquid foundations because I thought they covered better. But I was starting to get tired of that "cakey" feeling that most liquids end up with, plus I was breaking out horribly (even while using oil-free, noncomedogenic formulas). So I turned to this foundation.. and I love it! It covers really well for a powder, and if I need to cover any pimples I just use my finger to rub a bit more powder on top of them. The brush is useless, but I don't feel the need to complain about it - just find and use a better brush! Not that hard to do. The oil-control of this powder could be a bit better, but I just set it with a bit of MAC Blotting Powder and my skins stays matte for a bit longer. The powder feels MUCH lighter than any liquid formula I've ever used, and it doesn't turn cakey by the middle of the day. The best part: my skin is finally clearing!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2008 4:23:00 PM More reviews by unseelie_fae

Nah, color me unimpressed. If you have even remotely pale skin, forget it. This only comes in brown and browner. I had to mix it with a pale powder to get it to a wearable color. anyway, the brush they provide is too small and too harsh for a decent application. The coverage is so-so. The thing that really bugs me is that after a few hours of wear, my face feels dirty, though it also fades and gets shiny. I'm not buying any more of this stuff. You can use it as regular powder on top of liquid foundation and your face won't feel dirty, if you already bought it and can't bear to throw away something you paid for.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/30/2008 2:01:00 PM More reviews by macleveland

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've tried mineral formulas before (l'oreal bn) and i've been somewhat happy with them but this one has missed the mark. I have some redness that I like to cover up and this formula doesn't do a very good job of it. Too sheer! Also, my slightly dry t-zone looks terrible when it's applied. It makes my skin feel much drier. The packaging wasn't great either. I liked the fact that the kabuki brush wasn't attached to the lid but when trying to open the package, I broke the sifter lid. Plus, I find this makeup makes a much bigger mess of my vanity, my clothes and my hair as it tends to fly everywhere upon application.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2008 5:35:00 PM More reviews by Sounds_Major

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like this powder. I don't have problem skin, except for a small bit of redness around my nose. This powder covers it well and I usually only need to reapply if I am going out that night. I have found that Bare Minerals and other more expensive mineral powders are too heavy for my face (if that is even possible). With those I look like I'm wearing makeup. With this, I just use a concealer brush to cover the red areas and any blemishes, then I use a kabuki brush to apply the powder all over my face. It looks natural and evens out my skintone. As I said, I don't have problem skin, so this may not work for everyone, but I love it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2008 11:42:00 PM More reviews by birdmadgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the first mineral product I've purchased. I'd been eyeballing the expensive stuff at Sephora, but it all seemed too dark/yellow on my ghostly white skin. There was no way I was going to drop $60 on something that made me look dirty. Then, I started eyeballing the cheaper brands (Revlon, L'Oreal), but again, the colors just looked wrong. A few weeks ago, I was looking for a new lip color and saw this Physicians Formula product. I saw a really light-colored jar (Translucent), and decided to give it a try. I'm pretty happy with it. It definitely is a good match for me color-wise. I just think I need to work on the application. Sometimes, it just looks kind of chalky on me. Perhaps it's the brush--I'm still using the one that came with the powder, and it's short and stubby and sort of rough. I'm going to try a different brush and see how things look. I have extremely oily skin, but I can wear this for several hours before I start to shine. I don't think this is my HG foundation (I don't think there is one for me. I've tried just about everything under the sun!), but it's not bad.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2008 11:08:00 AM More reviews by MomColors

Soft Ivory Mineral Loose Powder Talc-Free is the product I am reviewing. What a great powder. I hate powder because I find it drying and too ghostly on my freckled 40 year old skin. But after trying to find a drugstore foundation that would please me I gave up on the foundation and decided to try the powder on a whim. And the reviews here were rave. The brush stinks but the powder is terrific even with the terrible brush. It tones down the broken capillaries, it feels like nothing on my skin and not drying at all. I can't imagine a powder at twice the price that I would like more. The coverage is minimalist which I love and it goes on quickly. I love this stuff. Try it and I think you will too!

Update: I took this down a lippie.
It's sitting on top of my skin and bugging me. But I think I notice it I don't think anyone else does. And it can be applied in 30 seconds or less and is goof proof.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2008 5:17:00 PM More reviews by Dawn_Sierra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Yeah! My first review! :D

Well not only have I used it and been pleased with it I went back and got some more. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to try out minerals or anyone looking for something for acne prone skin. Here are the pros and cons..

Pros:
Its inexpensive considering how much you get. I think I paid between $10 and $12 which is typical but it LASTS. It doesn't break me out unless I wear it for an extended length of time and even then very little. I can't afford the pricier mineral products so I thought this would be a good one to start with and it was. I'm quite pleased with it overall but I do have my issues with it.
Oh! Also if you have a special occasion and you need a little extra cover you can wear this over a liquid/etc foundation for more coverage. (Just be careful not too use too much and practice prier.)

Cons:
Now as I mentioned it will break me out a little bit if I wear it for a long time. (8 hours - maybe 1 tiny whitehead)
However my biggest complaint about this product is it does NOTHING to help with oil control. I would strongly urge those with oily skin to wear an oil control lotion or perhaps try some oil blotting cloths. After I wear this for 10 minutes or so I get kind of a oily mud slick look which highlights all of my flaws. Ew! I still continue to use the product though being its honestly the best thing I've found. I really need an oily skin control solution within my price range though to make this really and truly work for me. For now its this or nothing.. (like nothing was an option! lol)
(Thinking of trying for the liquid formula next chance I get, possibly using both together.)
I bought a color up from the lightest and I've come to find its a bit dark on me; whereas the lightest was a bit light. Physician's Formula never has been good with color IMO. My first foundation from them back in the day turned out to be ORANGE. Seriously, I looked like Ernie. lol Long time ago.. anywho..
Oh and that little brush that comes with it.. don't bother! I swear that thing is made from pine needles. Bleh! I knew it was crap the moment I saw it and bought a kabuki brush that same day. lol
Also I should mention I have dark circles and it CAN make my under eye area look a bit like a sharpei with eczema if I put too much. I just have to use a light hand. (And continue my never ending quest for a good dark circle concealer.)

Word to the wise... less is more! This WILL get cakey if you apply too much. Use less.. let it settle...

Overall if you've got very bad skin and need some kind of makeup foundation... this works. It just needs a side kick.. ;)

UPDATE 5-21-10:

Well I've been using this stuff for a long time now. I think it may be time for a change.

I had just tried to settle with the fact that my face is going to SHINE however I'm thinking there MUST be a foundation out there that won't make the texture of my skin look worse rather than better. Also, and this COULD be due to the fact I'm pregnant, I've been having more of a problem with this turning dark/orange on my skin after not wearing it long at all. Dark shiny, somewhat orange colored makeup that highlights my every flaw wasn't exactly what I was going for.

I've decided to try out Mary Kay's loose mineral foundation and see how that works out. Also I ordered the skin care kit #3. So (fingers crossed) hopefully that will work out. It all costs more than I'd usually pay but I'm tired of friends and family telling me my makeup isn't doing me any favors. (In fact I've been told I look OLDER when I wear makeup.)

Overall I'd say you get a lot for the money but you also get what you pay for.