Clinique Superbalanced Foundation

3.5

Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Butylene Glycol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Dimethicone, Isotetracosane, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Coconut Acid, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Lecithin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Lauryl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Silica, Sodium Chloride, Polyethylene, Alumina, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides Updated: 7/5/2013 New formulation

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I love this foundation! It goes on so smoothly even over my all-the-time breakouts. It has great coverage but does not make my skin look flaky or caked on. It absorbs oil, which is great, and it also moisturizes where moisture is needed. This is a fantastic foundation for girls with combination skin, like myself. The price is decent for such a wonderful foundation. What I especially love about it is that it's non-acnegenic (won't cause clogged pores and breakouts) and it's oil free which is perfect for teenage girls like me. I just love it!

This foundation is just OK.nothing spectacular..not good value for money. Sometimes it also makes my dry areas drier after application..so if you have dry skin you must apply a good moisturiser beforehand.

I think this is a good foundation, but I hate the bottle it comes in. Everything just gushes out. My shade is Alabaster, and I love how it just disappears into my skin and evens out the redness, but I find that sometimes I get little creases in the makeup from my laugh lines. However, until I find a better foundation, I will purchase again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was recently trying to get another colour match at the Estee Lauder sample for their Double Wear, but after trying all 3 of their lightest, closest-matched colours, we discovered that none of them are close. So, the lady sent me to the Clinique counter where I received a sample of this foundation. I explained to her that I wanted something compareable to the Double Wear. I need something with moderate coverage, long-wearing, non-acnegenic/non-comedogenic, fragrance-free and chemical sunscreen-free. However, I looked on the Clinique website and saw that this is not one of their non-acnegenic products! And they don't even test for comedogenicity. Any good doctor or dermatologist will tell you not to put anything on your face that isn't non-acnegenic/non-comedogenic. I just started treatment for some mild acne that turned moderate, and I'm not willing to risk messing up my progress! I would have expected more from such a company. Also, this is supposed to be a light coverage foundation which means it does NOT compare to the Double Wear I was seeking (as I had told the lady). It doesn't claim to be long-wearing either.
Edit: I didn't think it was fair to review this based on only what I mentioned above without actually seeing what the application/wear is like. Not everybody is acne-prone, but I still think all products should be safe for acne-prone skin. I decided to put it on for just a short while before washing up for bed. It went on kind of streaky at first but I was able to blend it with little effort. However, it had no coverage whatsoever and went on as a weird tangerine colour that seemed to highlight my flaws even further. It was the first attempt at a colour match so maybe there's a more normal colour available. It didn't highlight my rough patches whatsoever, but there's a reason for this... It doesn't dry! Even half an hour later when I was going to wash it off, I was still aware of it being on my face (feels wet) and I was still able to smear it around. It still hadn't set! And because of this, it's very shiney. This is not a "natural" finish as advertised. My Revlon Colorstay is a natural finish. This is just plain shiney, which I had not counted on. At least I now know I'm not missing out in anything by not continuing with this product. All it gave me was shiney, still flawed-looking skin with the possibility for more breakouts.

Don't fix if it's not broken. Why I bought 10 bottles of foundation just to find out I should have stayed with what works? I don't know.

I have combo skin. My skin looks dewy and glowy with this foundation. It's super easy to put on and it works. I wish this has spf and the bottle comes with a pump. I love this and I will keep repurchasing this.

I've made the rounds in the Clinique foundation world - I started out with Perfectly Real in shade 01, then went to the Superbalanced Compact in Alabaster Breeze, then finally to Superfit in Petal. I used to really like Perfectly Real until I a few years ago when I started to experience more redness and oiliness that Perfectly Real wasn't covering. Superbalanced Compact was too orangey and felt heavy on my face, and Superfit was also too orangey and oxidized too quickly.
I went back to the Clinique counter and told the SA of my woes. She said that Superfit tends to be more golden in tone and thus is harder to match to most skin types. She also said it is for the oiliest complexions and was surprised that it wasn't managing oil as well on me. She gave me a 7 day sample of Superbalanced liquid foundation in Petal. The SA also recommended that I apply it with a foundation brush for more even coverage and also so the product lasts longer. She was right; I used a foundation brush and the sample lasted 10 days.
I loved this foundation so much that I bought a full bottle. The color matches my skin perfectly and it doesn't melt off by the end of the day. I still get oiliness in my t-zone, but I just use oil blotting sheets when needed. I haven't had any breakouts or reaction to the Superbalanced, even when I forget to wash my face before bed. I've never seen makeup hold up so well. It doesn't oxidize as badly as the Superfit and it will not come off until you want it to.
The best way to apply this is with a foundation brush and you MUST let it set for a few minutes before you apply your loose powder. I've made the mistake of putting my powder on too soon and it makes the coverage really splotchy and gross. You also have to put your concealer on after you put on the foundation. My usual routine is to moisturize and let that soak in for 3 minutes or so, apply City Block in SPF 25, use foundation brush to stiple foundation in areas that require more coverage, brush foundation on areas that do not need as much coverage, dab on concealer, let set for 5 minutes, dust loose powder over face to set. Gives me a flawless face.
Drawbacks - I hate the glass bottle. I wish they had used a plastic bottle because I'm afraid of dropping this glass bottle. No SPF so you have to use a sunscreen before you apply foundation.

I bought this at the Clinique counter where the salesperson matched me. I was "petal". the consistency is very thin. I find that it has a tendency to turn orange after a while and doesn't look natural. It's not horrible but definitely nothing special.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I have this foundation in17 Amber. I think it looks great on darker skin with red undertones. The coverage is great and it goes on very natural looking. The only thing it is missing is SPF. Other than that, it would be just right!

I found this foundation to be really messy and hard to apply. Even though the liquid is thin I felt that my skin looked cakey in some areas even with blending. I tried applying with fingers, foundation brush and sponge and could not get a good result with any of these. I also felt that the colour had too much of a yellow base and this did not suit my skin tone. I won't be buying this again.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I bought this foundation after hearing great feedback from friends and co workers. This foundation does provide excellent converage, doesnt have a weird smell and holds up for hours, unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to it that made my eyebrows fall out and my skin peel. Although I had a reaction this is a great product and will work fine for anyone with out sensitive skin.