Clinique Superbalanced Foundation

3.5

Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Butylene Glycol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Dimethicone, Isotetracosane, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Coconut Acid, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Lecithin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Lauryl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Silica, Sodium Chloride, Polyethylene, Alumina, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides Updated: 7/5/2013 New formulation

on 7/26/2008 11:14:00 AM

I've made the rounds in the Clinique foundation world - I started out with Perfectly Real in shade 01, then went to the Superbalanced Compact in Alabaster Breeze, then finally to Superfit in Petal. I used to really like Perfectly Real until I a few years ago when I started to experience more redness and oiliness that Perfectly Real wasn't covering. Superbalanced Compact was too orangey and felt heavy on my face, and Superfit was also too orangey and oxidized too quickly.
I went back to the Clinique counter and told the SA of my woes. She said that Superfit tends to be more golden in tone and thus is harder to match to most skin types. She also said it is for the oiliest complexions and was surprised that it wasn't managing oil as well on me. She gave me a 7 day sample of Superbalanced liquid foundation in Petal. The SA also recommended that I apply it with a foundation brush for more even coverage and also so the product lasts longer. She was right; I used a foundation brush and the sample lasted 10 days.
I loved this foundation so much that I bought a full bottle. The color matches my skin perfectly and it doesn't melt off by the end of the day. I still get oiliness in my t-zone, but I just use oil blotting sheets when needed. I haven't had any breakouts or reaction to the Superbalanced, even when I forget to wash my face before bed. I've never seen makeup hold up so well. It doesn't oxidize as badly as the Superfit and it will not come off until you want it to.
The best way to apply this is with a foundation brush and you MUST let it set for a few minutes before you apply your loose powder. I've made the mistake of putting my powder on too soon and it makes the coverage really splotchy and gross. You also have to put your concealer on after you put on the foundation. My usual routine is to moisturize and let that soak in for 3 minutes or so, apply City Block in SPF 25, use foundation brush to stiple foundation in areas that require more coverage, brush foundation on areas that do not need as much coverage, dab on concealer, let set for 5 minutes, dust loose powder over face to set. Gives me a flawless face.
Drawbacks - I hate the glass bottle. I wish they had used a plastic bottle because I'm afraid of dropping this glass bottle. No SPF so you have to use a sunscreen before you apply foundation.

I bought this at the Clinique counter where the salesperson matched me. I was "petal". the consistency is very thin. I find that it has a tendency to turn orange after a while and doesn't look natural. It's not horrible but definitely nothing special.

on 7/15/2008 8:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I have this foundation in17 Amber. I think it looks great on darker skin with red undertones. The coverage is great and it goes on very natural looking. The only thing it is missing is SPF. Other than that, it would be just right!

on 7/12/2008 10:27:00 AM

I found this foundation to be really messy and hard to apply. Even though the liquid is thin I felt that my skin looked cakey in some areas even with blending. I tried applying with fingers, foundation brush and sponge and could not get a good result with any of these. I also felt that the colour had too much of a yellow base and this did not suit my skin tone. I won't be buying this again.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I bought this foundation after hearing great feedback from friends and co workers. This foundation does provide excellent converage, doesnt have a weird smell and holds up for hours, unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to it that made my eyebrows fall out and my skin peel. Although I had a reaction this is a great product and will work fine for anyone with out sensitive skin.

on 7/9/2008 10:54:00 AM

I bought this in the color Breeze, I am pale and I believe this is the lightest color, the lady at the counter told me this would be the best for my skin which is oily, shows pores in the tzone and dry sometimes too. I love it, it really smoothes on and gives me a natural look, covers any redness and blemishes I have, I love the smell, color, product over all is great!

on 6/30/2008 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this make up because I liked the texture of it. I hate foundations that are too thick because it looks cakey. It seemed so thin so I thought that it wouldn't do this. Well I tried it and it made my skin look cakey even when you use a little. I didn't like it that much, I don't think it's worth the money.

on 6/21/2008 7:25:00 PM

I am not a foundation person. I don't like the feeling of anything on my skin, and this one sinks right in and feels amazing..like there is nothing there at all! I also loved that I got a good colour match. I often find it difficult to find shades for my pale complexion, but it matches perfectly. It was $25 but I don't mind spending that much on a good foundation.

on 6/13/2008 2:55:00 PM

I wanted to love this product. It looks really great when i put it on at first, really natural...gives moderate coverage and has a slightly dewy sheen to it which i really liked. But after an hour or so ever WITH powder the dewy sheen turned to oil,...and unfortunetly got much oilier as the day drew on. This is a really nice foundation if you have normal skin...if you have oily skin i wouldnt reccommend this.My skin isnt even that oily...so i took a lippie off because of the oil.

on 6/4/2008 1:31:00 PM

So I have been around to every single makeup brand -Lancome, Yves St Laurent, Estee Lauder, Nars, Smashbox, Bobbi Brown, MAC, & Revlon, and the list goes on...most recently I have been using MAC studio fix, in which the coverage is great but lately it seems too cakey and I'm pretty sure it has been causing my awful breakouts...so I wanted more of a light coverage with a natural finish. I received a sample of this and tried it for the first time. I LOVE how it goes on, so smooth and a bit dewy, and makes my skin look luminous. I have really oily spots in some places, and very dry spots in others, and my skin feels completely balanced and perfect..I just need some getting used to the light coverage. I do have some marks that I cover with concealer, but I am hoping this will stop my breakouts and then I can just be happy with the natural look..this stuff will be great for the summer time!