Dickinson's Witch Hazel

4.3

Price: $

Price: $

Active Ingredients: Witch Hazel (100% All Natural) (Containing Alcohol 14%) (Astringent)

on 1/13/2010 10:54:00 AM

My husband is actually the one who introduced me to Dickinson's witch hazel. He uses it to soothe his face after shaving and I thought, "Hmmm, wonder if that stuff would work for me". Well, I have been using witch hazel as a toner for about 8 years now and I will never go back to using anything else. I spent years using expensive toners and "fresheners" from Avon, Mary Kay, L'Oreal, etc. and witch hazel is by far, hands down, my HG of toners. I use cleanser on my face (different cleansers for different times of the year) and pat dry with a towel. While my skin is still slightly damp, I moisten a cotton round or cotton pad with witch hazel and rub all over just as I have always done with toners. While my skin is still slightly damp from the toner, I massage in whatever moisturizer I need for the day and that's it.

The packaging for Dickinson's is top notch. The flip top is quite secure and the small hole is the perfect size for dispensing onto a cotton round. I keep the Dickinson's bottle and sometimes refill with another brand that has gone on sale ... that's how much I LOVE this bottle!

I do not find witch hazel to be drying at all unless I skip the moisturizer step. I have rather oily skin at times and even then I use a very light moisturizer to help balance my skin. I have been following a strict skincare routine since I was 14 years old out of sheer determination to stay wrinkle free as long as possible. Now that I'm in my 30's, I still get carded and my skin is a line-free as it was when I was 14!

on 1/12/2010 12:33:00 PM

I'll put it simple; so far so good! If anything negative happens I'll update.

on 1/10/2010 12:25:00 PM

So my routine is cleanser, toner, & moisturizer in that order. I wear a ton of makeup to cover my red acne marks from seasonique. So I used the cleanser, soaked a cotton pad in this and used all over my face and repeated till the cotton pad was white with no makeup. I then apply a heavy layer of ponds cold cream, give myself a quick facial massage and wet a paper towel in hot water and remove the excess. Off came a ton of makeup that the witch hazel had missed! So I do not consider it a good makeup remover. I don't think the smell is that bad, and it doesn't dry my face. I have no acne, just red spots so I will try it on acne whenever I get some. I paid $6 for a huge bottle at CVS. The part that the liquid comes out of is tiny so there is no wasting which is nice.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I stopped using toners months ago. I threw away a ton of my facial skin products and decreased the amount of products I slather all over my face daily.

I saw Dickinson's Witch Hazel for $2 at my local grocery store and decided to give it a shot. I've been eying thayers witch hazel from GNC, but the price I thought personally was a little much.

The Dickinson's Witch Hazel is by far my favorite toner, ever! I didn't have much expectations when I bought it, but so glad I gave it a shot (price tag won me over lol). Recently I had a really bad reaction to some medications prescribed to me that I not only had to take a "no makeup" break, but my skin became extremely dry in certain areas and itchy :( I was a bit hesitant at first since this had 14% alcohol in it that might irritate my dry areas more. This actually sooth those itchy dry areas. I've been topping this off with my aloe vera gel and together the dry itchiness reaction I've been having has long gone and passed. All I'm left with now is minor dry skin due to the frigid cold weather.

I used to use the popular drugstore toners Neutrogena alcohol free toners, clean and clears etc, but Dickinson beats them without a doubt. After I remove my makeup and cleanse my face, this stuff picks up any left over makeup my makeup wipes might have left behind.

Doesn't sting or caused more dryness to my skin personally, but I only use it once a day. I currently have dry/combination skin so using this once a day does the job. Its definitely minimized a lot of my small acne bumps - I had a ton all over my forehead when I had the medicine reactions :/

Does the job and for $2 a bottle it's certainly worth a try! Has an odd smell, but it doesn't linger after application...

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I ran out of my usual Mario Badescu toner, and had a bottle of this laying around. I decided to give it a shot as a facial toner, and I could not be more pleased. It doesn't sting or strip my skin, and makes my face soft and even toned. I will definitely repurchase! Though it will take me forver to get through the huge bottle - a steal for about $4.

on 1/5/2010 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

This product worked okay when it came to using it as a toner. The smell is rather rancid. I did not notice a change in my pore size nor did my blackheads diminish even a bit. But the reason I am giving it a high rating is because it worked wonders when I got a rash/burn from the deodorante I was using at the time. I have very sensitive skin and for some reason I had a really really bad burn when I was using Secret deodorante. I stopped using anything for weeks. My skin was a bright red and the area was very tender. I read online how witchhazel would help elevate the pain. Needless to say I applied this witch hazel every night before going to sleep and it actually worked. It took a while but eventually my underarms were back to normal. I simply soaked a washcloth in the witch hazel and then apply it for 5- 10 minutes to my underarms. Worked wonders! :)

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Cons: Drying, Smells terrible
Pros: Will dry up individual pimples quickly, Helps to remove blackheads

As a full-face toner, I think this is definitely too drying. I have quite oily skin, and even I feel like my face is a little too dry and stripped if I use this all over.

This is, however, AWESOME for a spot treatment. The main aim of a spot treatment is to dry up your individual pimples, so that they will flake away- this Dickinson's Witch Hazel does that wonderfully. So at night, just take a bit and dab it onto an individual blemish with a q-tip. That's what I do and it works great to get rid of existing pimples/whiteheads.

Overall, I think that witch hazel BY ITSELF (without alcohol) might work as a daily full-face toner, but this Dickinson's one is just too drying for daily use on your entire face, and should be applied only to individual pimples/blemishes.

on 1/5/2010 1:29:00 PM

I don't get what is so great about this. I don't notice a reduction in blackheads or my pore size. It isn't drying which is good, but honestly I don't see a purpose for it in my skin care regime

on 1/1/2010 9:49:00 PM

Witch hazel is dirt cheap, but it works fantastic. I've been using it for months after washing my face as a toner, and it has cleared my skin and shrunk my pores, I couldn't be happier with this product.

on 12/27/2009 10:06:00 AM

I have mixed feelings about witch hazel. On one hand, it is a very effective cheap toner. On the other hand, the smell really does put me off and I find it too stripping.
I think the key is to find some that is alcohol free or find a toner that has witch hazel as one of it's key ingredients. By itself, it takes too much of my natural oils on my face, and that only furthers the cycle of over productive oil secretion. I do however, like the price and the many uses it has, as well as how easily it can be obtained.

Popular Face Skincare Products