September 22, 2014 | 1963 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2008 6:16:00 PM More reviews by adrenirushxaudri

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite haircolor. I haven't used too many other brands of color, but this one does the job perfectly. I've only used the darker shades like the auburns, blacks, and browns, but they've all turned out very true-to-color on my already very dark hair. When I get bored, I go pick up a box of color that's different, it's so inexpensive and very easy to experiment with. The black has probably been my favorite. It was so gorgeous and lasted forever! I seriously couldn't get it out, not to say I tried, but no matter what I did, it didn't fade. I've got the Brown Black (20) now just so I won't have to worry about my lighter roots showing for a while...that's just how long it lasts. I don't need another box until my roots start to show through!

It really does leave my hair in a better condition. I love how bright and shiny my hair is, not to mention the softness. I've never gotten anything less than fantastic results from this cruelty-free product...and for near $3? Unheard of!

My only complaint is the rather useless lunch-lady gloves...I've got my own box of latex free gloves that I use with this, but it's a small price for such great color!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2008 12:21:00 AM More reviews by ELIZApatricia

I must admit, I had become a "haircolor snob", because I would only dye my hair using professional dyes from Sally's or Barnums. However, I have tried most of the drugstore brands throughout the years. I recently tried Natural Instincts Brass-Free Brunettes, and had a rather unpleasant end result. I ended up with lighter brassier roots while the rest of my hair turned a strange ashy black! Thank goodness I was able to shampoo like crazy and get some of it to wash out, but it was blotchy/uneven! I just want a haircolor that will darken my light ash brown hair to a dark rich brown, and look even from root to tip...is that really so much to ask?! So after reading reviews on here, I decided that it was time to stop being a snob to Colorsilk and give it a whirl. So glad I did, I used the shade "Dark Brown" and now I have a BEAUTIFUL rich very dark espresso brown (exactly like the girl's on the box), and as damaged and porous as my hair is, the color turned out TOTALLY even, from root to tip! I left it on for 25 min (the roots for full 25 min., the ends only 8 min). AND it made my hair a lot more silky, manageable, and shiny (I have super coarse dry hair naturally). Yes, the gloves suck a$$, and yes, the conditioner is in a packet, not a tube, but I really don't care about all that. I only care about the end result of my color. I'm very happy with this shade! This is a perfect example of quality NOT correlating with price (considering this stuff is less than $3 a box!) No other brand has given me such beautiful even results like Colorsilk does! UPDATE: I also like "Brown Black", which looks black indoors, but in natural or bright lighting, you can see it's really an extremely deep brown. But both are rich, beautiful, natural looking shades. UPDATE#2: I recently colored my hair w/Garnier Nutrisse in Medium Golden Brown which resulted in orange roots and dark red/black hair. Stripped out that awful color, and recolored using Colorsilk in Medium Golden Brown, and my hair now looks better than it did before the whole Garnier mess! I will NEVER cheat on Colorsilk again! I LOVE U COLORSILK!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2008 12:17:00 AM More reviews by ELIZApatricia

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2008 9:09:00 PM More reviews by rock_chica81

I've been using this product off and on for the past 8 yrs. I think I've dyed my hair all the different brown shades this product line carries. Within the past 8 yrs I've tried other brands of dyes and have had my hair professionally colored. But this is the dye that I keep coming back to. I'm actually writing this review w/freshly dyed hair :) The color does tend to come out a bit dark at first but it always comes out the color that I want after a few washes. I've never had a problem with it drying and damaging my hair either. I have fine hair and this actually makes it look healthier. And the price is so cheap, I can afford to color my hair every 6-8 wks without breaking the bank! I should add that I don't have any grays and the shades that I choose aren't vibrant shades which is why this dye really works for me. I don't have to worry about the color fading. I tried Garniers Nutrisse Med Gldn Brown 2 wks ago and it left me w/red dry hair whose dye smell took almost 2 wks to get rid of. So I bought a couple boxes of Colorsilk Dk Brown for $5 and I'm now breathing a sigh of relief. I love this stuff!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2008 7:41:00 AM More reviews by grex78

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have to dye my hair every 4 weeks. I am 30 but about 25% grey already (thanks Mom for the super genes!). Anyhoo, I usually dye my roots with Garnier but because of the good reviews I wanted to try this (and its 3$ a box - SWEET). I usually go for a medium natural brown look, my natural clor is ashy so the natural adds a little warmth for me. The Colorsilk medium natural brown turned LIGHT RED on me. Oh man, my hair was brown and my roots were red! And on top of that, the colr faded in one wash so all my grey started showing in the front of my head. Moral of the story - you get what you pay for!! Never again!! If you are not going for grey coverage and don't mind a little warmth in your color, it may be ok. My hair was in ok condition after I used it - hence the 2 lippies.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/11/2008 4:40:00 AM More reviews by Meliamalia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This review is for the Light Ash Brown. I have naturally deep brown relaxed hair which I previously dyed with light golden brown(L'oreal Excellence). Results were a medium brown slightly reddish color...which weeks later started to look "rusty". So today I used colorsilk Light Ash Brown to cover grey and diminish red tones. It worked pretty OK, But while the dye sat in my hair, it irritated my scalp and I had to rinse out early. Luckily I had no burns or breakage but my hair did end up frizzy. The color's nice and the greys are gone for now so This isn't the worst haircolor I've used, but the scalp irritation was an issue for me so I will not buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/8/2008 7:26:00 PM More reviews by ciat

I tried Color Silk after finally getting tired of the condition of my hair using Preference. I had use Root Perfect once or twice and liked it. Color Silk smells better, is easier on your hair and is cheaper than most of the colors on the market. The bad news is now I have a hard time finding regular Color Silk in the drugstores in the blonde shades. I finally found some a CVS and hope they keep stocking it. I even called Revlon to ask if ColorSilk was being phased out and she assured me that it was their most popular brand and will definitely continue to make it. So, why is it so hard to find all of a sudden? Wish I would have used ColorSilk before my hair got fried. Too bad I'm not a brunette, they stock lots of those colors. I'll just cross my fingers.
OK After trying Colorsilk in the regular size I have decided not to use it anymore. The color wasn't too bad but washed out pretty quickly. The smell was nothing compared to other brands which can drive you out of the house they smell so bad. The one thing that will keep me from using this product again is the fact that it made my hair like straw. I could hardly get a big toothed comb thru it when wet and it takes a lot of conditioner to keep it half way decent. Too bad. I really wanted to like this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2008 1:01:00 AM More reviews by spoopty

I used to dye my hair black with Colorsilk about every four weeks (just the roots -never had to dye the rest of my two feet of hair because it didn't fade!). It always left my hair in nice condition. :) (I kind of miss my black hair!)

I have also used the light auburn and bright auburn blonde and both work pretty well. However, like most reds, both fade quickly. But on the upside to that: the product is cheap and nice to your hair!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2008 5:53:00 PM More reviews by SexyLittleMe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've used Colorsilk off & on for years and I've always loved the results. I've recently started using it more often to make my medium-reddish brown hair darker. It fades away rather than leaving me with roots, but I only re-apply once per month. I'll probably need to do it more when I'm gray though.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/26/2008 3:32:00 PM More reviews by jenward74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, I had mixed emotions about this hair color. I used the Medium Golden Brown, and I loved loved loved the color. I hesitated when buying it, because it was so cheap, (around $3 !!) and I have always believed you get what you pay for. But I thought, what the heck, three bucks and if it's awful, I'll come back and get something else.

The color itself was gorgeous. My hair felt great, although I had just colored it a medium auburn and highlighted it about a month before. This stuff covered up the auburn and I thought I was good to go.

Not so fast. About a month later, this stuff was all but gone, and my auburn was back in full force. I think this stuff should be labeled "temporary" instead of permanent. At least that way, people who want temporary color could benefit from the bargain price.