Revlon Colorsilk

Price: $

Price: $

on 10/15/2008 7:40:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I used this in black and i have for years. I have natural reddish blonde hair but look too washed out with light hair. I also just simply love my hair ink black. I also have extremely sensitive skin and scalp. Any hair dye with ammonia burns my sclap very badly. Although ammonia free does not mean it is completely non-damageing, it does not irritate my scalp. The color does fade to having a slight brown shine in the sun after about 8 weeks, but other than that it gets my blonde hair black and it stays black with no irritation.

on 10/8/2008 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have been coloring my own hair for years, and usually stick with Garnier Nutrisse or L'Oreal Preference or Excellence, although I've occasionally tried others. I always assumed this color was "junk" because it was so cheap, but it was on sale for something like $2 at Target, and I'm trying to be more frugal, so I decided to try it. I picked up light auburn, and I'm so glad I did! The color is very true to the box. This is a lighter, brighter auburn than Garnier or any of the other brands' light auburn, but it really looks like a natural red. It doesn't burn your scalp or reek, and my hair wasn't straw-like after coloring (probably because the color doesn't contain ammonia). I left the color on for about 5-10 minutes longer than recommended - I always do this and find it gives the color a little more "staying power." The conditioner is pretty decent, too. Within about 2 weeks the color had faded to a slightly less orangey/bright shade, but was still very pretty and natural looking. Reds always fade quickly, and compared to all the other brands I've used, I honestly didn't see *that* much of a difference. I would say it does fade a little more quickly than more expensive colors, but honestly, for the price and the quality, I will most definitely repurchase this! I can get 3 or 4 boxes for the price of ONE other box of color. This is an HG product, as far as I am concerned.

Edited to add (12/2008): I've now tried Medium Auburn and LOVE it. Definitely an HG color! My stylist even asked me where I got my hair colored, she loved it so much. Brilliant, reddish auburn that really shines. This is my new HG color, and at $2.49/box or 2/$3.96 at Wal-mart, you can't beat it!

on 10/7/2008 12:18:00 PM

I have tries all of the ds hair color brands. I've gone from blonde to dark brown. This is the ONLY brand that actually looks like the color on the box!! I use mahagony brown. With the other brands it really depends on your base color you're starting with to determine the outcome of your color, but not with colorsilk!! In fact, after using this conditioner my hair is actually 20x's softer and silkier!! If I don't need to color my hair but need a great conditioning treatment...you better believe I'll buy this box just for the conditioner! (and at $3.00 it's not unreasonable) :)

on 10/7/2008 12:12:00 PM

I love this stuff! I tried it for the first time last week and my color is so pretty. I colored my hair at the end of June with Miss Clairol and my roots came out a shade or two lighter than the rest of my hair. I decided to try Colorsilk to even out the color after reading all of the positive reviews on here. I was hesitant at first because of the price but this is now my HG hair color. I used Medium Rich Brown. I left it on my roots for 20 minutes then ran it through all of my hair for the remaining 5 minutes. My color came out even from root to tip and now all of my color matches! It is a really pretty brown with a very slight hint of red. I have received quite a few compliments. It is a little darker than the box but I think it's only because my color was darker from the Miss Clairol.
Besides the cheap price, this dye did not smell at all or irritate my scalp. The gloves are a little cheap but I didn't have a problem with them. They protected my hands just fine. Also, this did not damage my hair. It was actually very soft afterwards and smelled great.
I'd recommend this hair color brand to everyone! Don't be fooled by the price!

on 9/30/2008 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This produce covers my gray better than anything else I have tried, and I have tried a lot. I was feeling so frustrated paying $150 to have my hair cut and colored at the salon, only to find that I had gray showing within days. Over the years I have gone back in forth between Clairol and Feria. I have to say that this Revlon product just really works! I have been using it for over 2 years, and I color every 5-6 weeks (I loathe roots showing). You can get it at Target sometimes for under $3. For the price, it makes touch ups easy and cheap. I've got my mother-in-law hooked too. I use the Mohagany Brown which gives it a nice red glow and thoroughly covers my gray, and then sometimes I lighten up with a Reddish Brown. I have received many more compliments on my shiny, healthy looking hair since I switched to this Revlon Colorsilk product.

on 9/30/2008 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Mixed feelings.

Backround..my hair has been highlighted blond for years but I recently went brunette. (at the salon) Its been a nightmare trying to keep my brunette from fading and having my dumb highlights shine through andlook brassy. So I would literally be at the salon every other week trying to cover it with a single process. I didnt wanna waste anymore money so I figured Id just try a box.

Okay well I would try Colorsilk bc of the reviews.First thing...apparently DARK BROWN, means jetblack?! My hair is BLACK. Not brown. Not dark brown. Whatever, I'm sure it will fade with a few washes, hopefully. I tohught the application was easy, the gloves were fine. My scapl burnt just a tad. No biggy. So when I began to wash this stuff out..it took forever. I was washing and washing and washing. And in the mean time, A CRAP LOAD of my hair was falling out. Idk if thats normal or not. But when I used Excellence a longlong time ago, I don't recall that much hair falling out. Anyway. Okay I finsihed washing out hte dye and my hair felt pretty poooopy and strawy but then I put the conditioner they give you in my hair and it felt super soft and nice. I dont really think the conditioner worked wonders...its just my hair felt like sh!t before so no matter what I used would make it feel nice again.

So. I mean my hair feels alot better then it usually does after a box color. Granted, it's not in better condition then it was before (like the box claims) But I wasnt expecting that. Maybe if my hair wasnt BLACK right now, Id be a lil bit happier. But out of all the dumb box color crap Ive used, this is def the best. If my hair stays black, I will totally take back that statement though.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'll be honest with you, i avoided this haircolor for as long as i had been dyeing my hair, but when i needed an immediate color change and had little funds, the results were quite nice. I purchased these again for 99 at Walgreens yesterday in medium brown and the color came out beautiful and really shiny. For me the color can last 6-8 weeks without fading, but a lot of that has to do with using the proper products for color treated hair. I would certainly purchase this again and recommend it to all my drugstore customers buying hair color in the future

on 9/11/2008 1:02:00 PM

First of all I used Colorsilk, #04, Ultra Light Natural Blonde (2 boxes) on my just above the shoulder, thick med/dk. blonde w/gray thick hair. I am bowled over re results. I admit it, I was a product snob. Resisted Colorsilk and never, ever used it before. Used to see at rundown closeout store and figured nobody wanted it. I also resisted because it was so cheap and, more probably, because my mother uses it. After all, what could she know?
So, while living on a poverty level budget, I gave myself an at-home Extreme Hair makeover yesterday. Total cost: $8.58. My hair was too long for my age (cougar material), and the color was horribly drab. Lopped off three inches myself. Too bad I don't have before pic. Will upload results photo, if I can figure out how. Advice pls?

Have gray, very color-resistant hair, so left color mixture on for 50 minutes. Color came out extremely light, very even, completely colored gray. I did notice that, due to my own oversight, missed a patch in the back. My bad!
Advice, especially when using very blonde shades, condition for a good 30 minutes after color process. After rinsing out condish, gave hair two spritzes of Infusium Repairology (great "after process" treatment).

While hair is damp and also when dry, I applied cream conditioner (can use hair cream or whatcha got lying around) to your hair. I let my hair air dry (do not blow dry) and then iron for finishing. Use a hair iron? Reapply cream before and/or after ironing. I do this and my hair, even though it is very light, does not have that parched dry look that I hate. This helps your hair "bounce back."
Also after coloring, avoid harsh shampoos or shampoo all together. CO washing is good for retaining your color.

Reasons why I like product:
gave great "lift" in single process;
actually had pleasant fragrance;
did not irritate my scalp;
did not leave that hair color "after feel"; and
extremely reasonable price - less then 1/2 price of some other drugstore brands.

on 8/29/2008 11:55:00 PM

I got this in Auburn Brown for about $3 or so. Good and cheap and the color was gorgeous, BUT IT FADED FASTER THAN A DEMI PERMANENT.

will not buy again.

on 8/26/2008 9:52:00 PM

Naturally, I have light brown hair that I lighten to blonde. Currently my hair is very light blonde. Typically I tend to purchase ultra light blonde hair dyes, no matter the brand. The lightest shade possible without being bleach, are the dyes I generally go for. Most brands leave my hair very light, but this brand (04) Ultra light Natural Blonde is up there. I always turn to this color when I want extremely light hair. Usually, What I do is after I apply the color (only touch ups on roots), I put olive oil on the ends to keep them protected. I then put my hair up into a shower cap. Then wrap my head in a towel. I've noticed that doing this, the results are far better. The heat speeds up the process and you get the most out of the color. after 45 mins or so I wash my hair and am pleased. Also I suggest all blondes to invest on purple shampoo. No matter the dye, most blonde dyes WILL leave your hair looking brassy. A purple shampoo such as Shimmer Lights will tone down the brassy tones, leaving your hair looking awesome.

Video Reviews & Tutorials