April 24, 2014 | 1901 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 4/20/2008 2:07:00 PM More reviews by swtlildragonfly

This awful stuff totally FRIED my hair. It was inexpensive so i though i'd give it a try, but what a mistake! My hair became frizzy, dry and damaged.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2008 4:18:00 AM More reviews by Ronnie_Aran

I bought this on dark brown and color becomes close onto my hair (a liitle bit darker but not black). Itīs very cheap and the consistency is less creamy than othesr, but not bad at all. After reading reviews here i was expecting this leaving my hair very soft but this didnīt happen. The color is pretty and shiny and has very good staying power. It didnīt damage my hair but didnīt make it soft neither, so, in that point is good, but not excellent as i was thinking. It doesnīt smell bad. For the price, is a very good option, so i think i will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2008 3:38:00 PM More reviews by Caramellane

I have been using this product for fives years now. The results are usually darker than described or shown on the box. For example dark brown seems more like a natural black in my opinion. When I used the dark brown color most people would refer to my haircolor as black. Dark mahogany is the color I have been using for a year now. The color is a nice warm dark brown. My advice, definately buy a shade lighter as the dyes run dark.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2008 4:37:00 PM More reviews by Christmaself55

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this hair colour because it's cheap and I only need it to dye my roots. Since my hair is dark I can use brown or black and get the desired effect. I don't know how the lighter colours are though. I like that it only costs like 3 bucks since I only die my roots from the gray hairs I get. I may be young, 21, but I'm getting gray hairs oh well. So I definetely recommend if you just need a touch up and don't want to spend too much money.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/28/2008 9:23:00 PM More reviews by JenJenofAz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My #1 choice. I'm using the Auburn Brown and it's really vibrant, which also means it'll fade as all the vibrant colors seem to. I like this brand the best because, well, it doesn't stink! Next, I would use the Balsam. I find a better shade selection with the Colorsilk than with Balsam. I don't think the color stays as long as the Balsam, but it's a great product for the money. I've used just about all of the shades:dark brown/black, light auburn, medium auburn, dark auburn, burgundy(a favorite) and my favorite is the burgundy and the auburn brown. Now I'm using the #48 Burgundy and really love it and you can't beat the price! Okay, I'm back to using the Mahogany Brown or Dark Reddish Brown because the Burgundy just faded too quickly! The Mahogany Brown doesn't fade as fast, but it is DARK at first and fades to a medium reddish brown. Oh, and I think Colorsilk works best on gals with straight fine hair that's in good condition to begin with. I've been using this for YEARS since I've began coloring my hair at 20 and my hair is still soft. ALWAYS use a good conditioner!!!!!!!! However, my mom has coarse curly hair and she also likes this brand. I just colored over the #32 Mahogany Brown with the Dark Brown/Black #20 and I still have red throughout, so it's not too dark for my fair yellowish skin tone. It's actually kind of nice. And because the darker colors don't fade as much, I don't have to touch up for a few months. I like the auburn shades, but they always fade so quickly! But I've also used an auburn shade from Loreal that faded quicker(it also stank badly!).

rated 1 of 5 on 3/26/2008 7:31:00 PM More reviews by JenniferDeann

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I colored my hair three weeks ago with a 50/50 of medium blond and medium golden blond on the advice of the woman who cut my hair at Fantastic Sam's. My hair was looking ashy so she recommended trying the ratio (not the product itself). I have naturally dark, mousy, blond (or light ashy brown, can't decide which;) hair that is greying and eventhough I was hoping to go a little lighter, I wasn't prepared for how light my hair turned out. Other reviewers have had trouble getting their hair lighter with this product so I thought I wasn't risking too much and now my darker roots are really showing up. I really liked how easy it was to apply and that it didn't burn my eyes in the process. The downside was that there was definitely some breakage. Even now three weeks later, I'm having more breakage than I think is normal for colored-hair. I said I would repurchase, but I'm not sure if I would right away. Update 10/12/09: I like how easy it is to mix colors with this brand, but my scalp is itching like crazy days after I colored. I also don't like how uneven the color looks. My hair is ashy on top, medium blonde around the middle, and reddish underneath. I know within just a few weeks my hair will look brassy since that's what usually happens with this stuff. I am on a strict budget, but methinks it's time to spring for a different brand. Update 4/5/10: I had to keep using this because of a tight budget, but I ended up using Color Oops today to undo the uneven, ashy result I got A DAY BEFORE EASTER, argghhh! Never again!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/24/2008 9:40:00 PM More reviews by sarahjhoward7

Well, I kept it on for 40 minutes and followed the directions correctly. I washed my hair the next day and almost all of the color washed out. I guess because there isnt any ammonia or it or who knows. But if you want your hair color to last more then one wash without completely fading, I WOULD NOT recommend this.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2008 6:56:00 PM More reviews by makeup_fairy

I don't write reviews very often but just had to review this hair color! I was hesitant at first but after seeing all the postive reviews on here I decided to try it. I mainly wanted to cover up the red in my hair because I had dyed my hair a dark red color in the past and it had faded to a brassy orange color. Then my roots were growing out so I basically had 2-toned hair. I decided on Medium Rich Brown because I figured dark brown would be too dark. I am glad I went with medium brown because it turned out dark but now I really like it. It looks very rich and shiny. Even better than before I had dyed it! My mom told me it looks "luxurious" even :) I will definitely keep buying this hair color and for less than $3.00 a bottle at Wal-mart you can't beat it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2008 11:14:00 AM More reviews by lmcmahon

I have waist length finebut thick hair, getting more coarse every year from the gray. I was using Excellence Creme in Dark Brown to cover the gray and I LOVED the comb applicator attachment but it cost $8 to $10 a box! So I decided to try Colorsilk based on reviews here -- this stuff is CHEAP and it really lasts. I think it actually covered my gray better than the Excellence did! I started using the dark brown, 2 boxes for 3.97 at Walmart--what a bargain! They didn't have the dark brown next time so I got the brown/black. It's very similar but my husband doesn't think it looks quite as natural so I'll go back to the dark brown. Also, it has no ammonia and smells SO much better than Excellence. The color is very even and lasts just as long as Excellence did for me. The gloves are crap so buy your own and have scissors handy to cut the top of the bottle and to cut open the little packet of after conditioner -- you'll NEVER get it open otherwise. But for essentially $2 or $3 a box, I'm ecstatic with the results! Bye bye salons FOREVER!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2008 1:36:00 AM More reviews by MaKeUpMaVen0624

This product is pretty good for the price. I use it when I'm just looking for a uniform color. It doesnt really give any dimensions like virgin hair.. so i would suggest you add some hilights and lowlights to the hair to avoid it looking "wigish"