October 24, 2014 | 1100 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2012 12:42:00 PM More reviews by victoria2525

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this over the weekend and have been using it for about four days and so far I LOVE IT! My face feels really smooth after and I already see a reduction in my pore size. I heard that you'll break out after using this however this has not happened to me. The only thing is that my face is red right after when I use this but it fades after a couple of minutes. I think it's probably because I'm scrubbing too hard. I have combo skin and my nose gets really oily. I find that the Mia removes the excess oil and it helps my moisturizer sink into my skin. The only negative thing that I can think of is that because I have sensitive skin, I find the delicate brush still a bit harsh but I can live with that. Def worth the $160!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2012 9:21:00 AM More reviews by brittclow69

I received this in the mail last night... Used it with my Proactiv Deep Cleansing Wash on my face and it really did make my skin feel and look a lot smoother.

Looking forward to using this device! Will followup in a few weeks after continued use!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 7:15:00 PM More reviews by DivineL

I have been using my Clarisonic Mia for almost 3 months. I bought as a graduation gift to myself. I have suffered with an oily T-zone and blackheads my whole life. I bought this in hopes that my congested pores will diminish. At the time of purchase I was deciding between the Mia and the Mia2. Eventually I went with the Mia because most reviews on it said 1 speed was enough.

When I first used it, I didn't immediately notice an improvement. I would also say the first 3 weeks of using it I was on the fence about it. Finally, I realized there WAS a difference in my skin. It was smoother and cleaner. I came accustomed to using it every night and some mornings. I played around with different cleansers and found I really enjoy using it with a foaming cleanser. I use a few different kinds depending on my need at that moment. I use Clean&Clear sensitive skin wash (basic cleanser), Neutrogena Naturals Purifying facial cleanser (using this everyday can be drying), and Neutrogena Fresh Cleansing + Makeup remover (is more emollient than the other ones) .

As far as my blackheads are concerned, I still have them. They is some improvement but they are still there. My oily T-zone, has diminished however it is the winter months and I wonder if that's a main factor. In the mean time, I will continue to use it and am thinking about trying the deep pore cleansing brush head next. (currently using sensitive brush head)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2012 6:37:00 PM More reviews by kellay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use the original Mia for preventing flakies with Retin A. This has been part of my regimen for keeping my skin clear, and I'm not sure how big of a role this plays, but as a whole, my routine has been great. I do know that it helps with the daily peeling a good bit, though I still have times when I'm peeling a lot.
I've tried all the heads, and I prefer the delicate. I still keep a deep cleaning brush head that I'll use every once in a while. I will keep using this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2012 2:02:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I finally bought the Mia after reading endless reviews about how awesome it is. Yep, another hype buy that I fell for once again. Thankfully, the Mia isn't a complete bust like so many of the hyped products that I have bought in the past.

When I first bought the Mia, I used it twice a day. I quickly found out that using it that frequently wasn't a great idea as I got a bit of an irritation rash near my eye area and I started breaking out more frequently. My skin isn't sensitive by any means but it is kind of wacky. To wit, I have to wash my face twice a day but it won't tolerate exfoliation/scrubbing/masks/peels more than once a week. Subsequently, I switched to using the Mia once a day (usually at night after I remove my eye makeup).

While the Mia hasn't give me any real problems, I also haven't notice any extraordinary results either. My skin was softer and felt squeaky clean but even when I forgot to use it (or got too lazy), my skin was fine (well, as fine as my skin can be). On the plus side, it is well constructed and a handy little gadget to have. I really like the fact that it has a built in timer that automatically shuts it off because I do sometimes worry about over scrubbing my face with it. I also like the fact that it can be used in the shower as the entire thing is waterproof. However, I don't think it's an HG product by any means. It's good, but I don't think I'll ever sing its praises from the rooftop any time soon.

I also doubt I'll ever repurchase it. The price is pretty steep (I paid about $90 for mine on sale and with a discount code for free shipping) and then there's the price of replacement brush heads. It's a decent automatic brush that isn't terribly harsh and scratchy like some I've tried (I'm looking at you Dove facial brush), but I simply can't use this everyday. As such, it's a waste for me. Instead of chucking it in the trash, I gave this to my mom. She loves it and uses it daily so I don't completely regret purchasing it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2012 12:37:00 PM More reviews by matildachung

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

While I do really love my mia, I wouldn't say its a must-have. For the first 3 months since my purchase, I used it every single day. Then I went away for a week and forgot to take it with me and realized that my skin hadn't been affected at all.

But here's the thing, when I was using it consistently, I had great results. My skin felt and looked cleaner, my skin care products seemed to be working better, etc.

The trick with the MIA I think is not to over-use it. I noticed that taking a break from it sometimes made my skin even better - I now I use it daily for a week and let my skin rest for a week.

While it is the best of its kind on the market, I do feel that a good scrub (my fav is the green tea one from St Ives) can have the same effect. So if you don't want to shell out the cash, I would suggest looking into a good exfoliator.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2012 10:59:00 AM More reviews by Johelian

Following a sudden acne attack at the age of 30 - and subsequently a massive knock on my self-esteem - I was desperate to try anything that would help with obliterate the huge, painful and rapidly-multiplying pustules on my face. This was the point that I decided to finally succumb to the Clarisonic Mia. I feel obliged at this point to say that many recommend against using anything too aggressive on acned skin as it can increase the likelihood of scarring and/or aggravating your condition; for me, individual pustules were lasting literally for over a week and eventually becoming so inflamed that they would rupture and scar really easily anyway, so I figured I didn't have much to lose.

I had waited for ages for a promotion to get a discount on the Mia, but unfortunately in the UK there are very few stockists to chose from so I ended up paying the full whack (120). The standard Mia pack I chose came with a sensitive brush head and a UK charger, which is magnetic so it kind of snaps onto the unit. The unit is quite ergonomic in design, and I don't suffer any aggravation from the vibrations. The pack comes with a foaming cleanser, but I am a big fan of my Kiehls Ultra Facial (even though this doesn't foam too much) so I have only used my own product with the Mia. You can use your usual cleanser with this - just bear in mind that foaming cleansers appear to work better, as they work up a great lather. The instructions suggest using twice a day; 10 seconds on each cheek, 20 seconds on the forehead and 20 seconds on the nose and chin, using light circular motions. The Mia will automatically turn off after 60 seconds, and will vibrate and flash if it needs charging (I have charged mine twice in a month). The motion is a kind of pulsing rather than rotating; I was expecting something like my electric toothbrush, and was worried about the abrasiveness of the brush, so this was a pleasant surprise. All the same I personally use mine once a day as my skin is pretty sensitive and it gets a bit too red if I use twice a day. My routine basically looks like this; remove makeup with facial wipe; wet skin; wet Mia; add Kiehl's Ultra Facial to brush and rub a little to start a lather (it doesn't foam easily); work to schedule above; rinse skin and Mia; MOISTURISE! Brush heads should be replaced every 3 months. The unit is completely enclosed so can be used in the shower without risk of water seeping in.

There were several issues that I had with my skin at the start of my Mia experience (approx. 1 month ago); oily t-zone; fine lines; dry patches around cheeks and jaw; redness over centre of face/cheeks; blackheads on nose and chin; acne/breakout zones under cheekbones; acne scarring; large pores; general uneven texture. I'll break down my personal experience below in each area.

1) Oily T-Zone. This is one area of massive improvement. My forehead and nose used to be extremely oily; I would now consider them to be "normal". Admittedly part of this may be as a result of the current season; however I have never had a t-zone that has been anything BUT oily, even in winter, before. I noticed an improvement within a week.
2) Fine Lines. I have some fine lines appearing on my forehead and near my nose; I noticed some improvement in this area within a month. My forehead lines are a little deeper and still just about visible, but (touch wood) my naso-labial lines have pretty much gone. I didn't think the Mia would have much impact here, but I definitely see an improvement in the texture of the skin in this area.
3) Dry Patches. Absolutely gone. I think the combination of improving skin texture and allowing product to absorb more easily means that my skin is retaining more of my moisturiser.
4) Redness. Greatly reduced. Considering this was one of my biggest problems, I am really happy about this. It takes less make up to hide my uneven skin tone. I do notice that the skin is a little red after use (I only use this at night) but in the morning my skin looks great.
5) Blackheads. Small improvement, but I still have quite a few. I have had these as long as I can remember, so was not expecting a miracle, but was a bit disappointed here. As another member mentioned I think the shape of the brush makes it tricky to really get at the sides of the nose.
6) Acne breakout. Touch wood - no breakout since use. I had a short period of purging for a couple of days, but nothing since. I did use PanOxyl 2.5% to initially help clear the breakout, but I have not used it since the spots started to shrink, and have had no new breakouts. Wonderful!
7) Acne scarring. No visible change to existing scars.
8) Large pores. Very slight reduction, barely noticeable.
9) Uneven texture. This is one area I was massively impressed with. I had quite bumpy skin on my forehead from my teen years (this was where all my zits congregated) that has never improved. After literally first use I noticed a big improvement in the texture of my forehead. It was ridiculously smooth. Now, after a month, all the rest of my face feels the same way; it literally feels like flawless marble when I rinse off the cleanser (I wish it looked the same way - damn you, scars!). I would not have believed that this could have happened after day one.

In conclusion, I am really happy with my purchase and highly recommend the Mia if you can afford the splurge (for me, the fact that I'm now using less toner and fewer products overall means that this will eventually work out more cost effective anyway!). I am impressed overall with the changes to the texture and appearance of my skin, and, once my scars finally fade, I make even start to go makeupless! I have removed one point for the fact that, although this is now the star of my cleansing routine, it has not completely resolved all of my skin issues. Is there a product that will ever do that? I don't know - but for now, Mia brings me one step closer.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2012 2:43:00 PM More reviews by nmhidi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE! The Mia 2 has seriously changed my skin for the better. I got this as a gift from my SO for Christmas, best gift ever. I have very sensitive skin, I suffer from pretty bad eczema, I have combination skin and I am prone to dry patches because of the combination of acne medication and eczema medication I use. For years, I have had minor break outs the week before my period. I have been using the MIA 2 for almost 3 months now and I have not has a SINGLE breakout. I am amazed. The texture of my skin is amazing, I have no more dry patches. My medicines and moisturizers seem to soak in to the skin better, which I assume is making them more effective.

The battery life of the MIA 2 is amazing, I use it every morning when I shower and only have to charge it once per month. The charging unit is magnetic, which is convenient. However, one time when I was charging it, the charger was on slightly crooked, but the light was flashing and after about 18 hours the light went steady, so I assumed it was charged. When I used it, it was still dead. I was nervous, but I charged it again, with the charger laying perfectly straight on the unit and that fixed the problem.

My SO ordered the MIA 2 from QVC. It was a great value, it came with the charger, 2 brush heads, travel case, and bottle of Purity Made Simple facial cleanser by Philosophy.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the MIA 2!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2012 10:04:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My Mia & I have a long history tough history, but I love her! LOL. I first bought my Mia in 2010. The first week I started using it I broke out but being that I heard hat happens at first, I continued use. My skin cleared up after continuing use & it was literally the clearest I've ever been(I have horrible cystic acne). I would use it once in the morning & for 2 minutes at night. For some reason I fell off using it for a while & I could deff. notice the difference. My skin was no longer smooth nor clear. It was back to being rough, pimpley & just plain horrible. I started to use it again but the breakouts did not stop this time. This time they just kept getting worse, so I once again stopped using it. At that time I was using it morning & night like the first time. I recently picked it back up again & I did break out at first badly from using it morning & night, so I now only use it at night for 1 minute, not 2. It is now clearing my skin up very lovely. I will not stop using it this time, EVER. Since I have such bad acne & I am afraid of it coming back & of spreading it around my face, this is what I do. I change the brush head every month or month & a half(as opposed to every 3 months that Clarisonic recommends, I get them cheap off Ebay). I wash the brush head every 2 days & after each use I put alcohol on the brush head. I also switched from the sensitive brush to the delicate. This has worked rather well for me :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2012 2:02:00 AM More reviews by astric

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

been using Mia for 1 month and my date last night said "you have really nice skin" .... first compliment ive ever gotten about my skin :)

i have combination skin and get breakouts a few times a month. the clarisonic has made my pores almost invisible, i absolutely love it. it makes my skin feel very smooth.

my face just doesn't feel clean without it, i would definitely repurchase in a heartbeat.