September 18, 2014 | 1783 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2012 10:04:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My Mia & I have a long history tough history, but I love her! LOL. I first bought my Mia in 2010. The first week I started using it I broke out but being that I heard hat happens at first, I continued use. My skin cleared up after continuing use & it was literally the clearest I've ever been(I have horrible cystic acne). I would use it once in the morning & for 2 minutes at night. For some reason I fell off using it for a while & I could deff. notice the difference. My skin was no longer smooth nor clear. It was back to being rough, pimpley & just plain horrible. I started to use it again but the breakouts did not stop this time. This time they just kept getting worse, so I once again stopped using it. At that time I was using it morning & night like the first time. I recently picked it back up again & I did break out at first badly from using it morning & night, so I now only use it at night for 1 minute, not 2. It is now clearing my skin up very lovely. I will not stop using it this time, EVER. Since I have such bad acne & I am afraid of it coming back & of spreading it around my face, this is what I do. I change the brush head every month or month & a half(as opposed to every 3 months that Clarisonic recommends, I get them cheap off Ebay). I wash the brush head every 2 days & after each use I put alcohol on the brush head. I also switched from the sensitive brush to the delicate. This has worked rather well for me :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2012 2:02:00 AM More reviews by astric

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

been using Mia for 1 month and my date last night said "you have really nice skin" .... first compliment ive ever gotten about my skin :)

i have combination skin and get breakouts a few times a month. the clarisonic has made my pores almost invisible, i absolutely love it. it makes my skin feel very smooth.

my face just doesn't feel clean without it, i would definitely repurchase in a heartbeat.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 8:51:00 PM More reviews by crossett

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I HAD to try this... pretty expensive for a fancy face scrubber, but now I have one I can remember - how did I get my skin really clean BEFORE I had this? Was my skin never really clean? I've washed my skin before using the clarisonic, but then wanted to feel the scrubbing exfoliated feeling and when brush suds up I see there is still makeup on my face. This tool REALLY cleans your face. I won't be without it ever again... the only think I would say is be careful around your delicate eye area.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2012 7:02:00 AM More reviews by VB10

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have had the mia for 10 days now and I think I like it, I would prefer to love it!
I am disappointed with the execution (perhaps it is designed by a man); First the magnetic charger is a cute and novel, however it has a standard plug which means it must be charged outside the bathroom, if a toothbrush and razor can be charged in the bathroom then surely this can and should be. Also, the indicator light that tells you when charging and when charged is underneath the product and you cant see it - why? I am also surprised that there is no battery indicator as you find on a toothbrush or mobile phone so you know when you need to charge it. Why have a product that simply stops when it is out of battery, particularly one that you can't just top up where you use it. I was certainly expecting electric toothbrush technology as standard in this product.
So the advice is to use it for 20seconds on each aread of your face, yet the only indicator you get is after a minute and the mia turns itself off, again, my toothbrush does rounds of 30seconds and keeps going. Far more helpful.
In terms of the time, 1minute doesnot clean my face, at this point the bristles are still gathering makeup, it takes more like 2mins for the bristles to appear clean and that is with regular rinsing.
The mia certainly feels more gentle than I expected, my skin does feel very clean after but only surface level. It hasnt aggrivated or irrated at all either. I was hoping for a deep clean feel and that the sonic vibrations were penetrating deeper and delivering more benefit. Emma Hardie's massage technique has far greater results.
When I bought the Mia I thought it was a fair price, now I am using it I think it is way over priced for what it delivers in results and the way it is presented.
So this is great for surface level super clean skin, it is a very expensive way of achieving it though. A rather dissapointingly superficial result.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2012 12:00:00 PM More reviews by tinybucket

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I did not experience purging at all, in the first few days my skin was very beautiful and felt stronger which I did not expect because I am prone to sensitive red and dry skin. The brushes seemed gentle enough.
Unfortunately a change of location (I bought the mia on a trip to NY in December 2011) back at my own place in the Netherlands the cold and the poor water quality wreaked havoc on my skin so that i stopped using the mia for a while, and used it a lot less frequently (before I used it once a day and I really eased in to using it).

Now my skin has stabilized again (so less redness and now itchy bumps) due to warmer temperatures, I use it more often, I really love how it cleanses my skin.

I find it nicely opens up your pores for some extractions. I do not find that it completely got rid of my chin blackheads, ever after using it every day (note: I used both the sensitive and the normal brush head). The pores on my cheeks have gotten tiny through its use but I can easily see how it would aggrevate rosacea. I try to use it less often because I see reddish veins on my cheeks (but only under very harsh light).

Another thing I'd like to add is that the brush head seems much harder to me than in the beginning, but I found that rinsing it with very hot, almost boiling water before its use (do let it cool down a bit before use) remedies that. Again, this might be due to the poor water quality here.

Would I recommend it? Yes, but only if you can afford it without too much financial strain, it is not a miracle product, and depending on your skin type and extraneous factors it will work differently. People in the states have the luxury of being able to return this within 30 days, so if you are curious, go try it out. People in Europe do not have this luxury unfortunately, so I recommend to do your research (by skin type) and maybe you can get it from the states where it is so much cheaper than over here.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2012 1:30:00 AM More reviews by kf2012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I debated on this for so long, and finally gave in because I had a Nordstrom gift card. Even then, this was ridiculously expensive, so I personally held it to a high standard -- one which it unfortunately did not meet. (For reference, I have very oily, very acne-prone skin that is not sensitive.)

The first time I used it, I was underwhelmed. Still, determined to give it a fair shot, I used it every night (nighttime only; not in the morning), following the instructions to the letter. At first, I didn't notice any difference in my skin at all. It didn't feel any cleaner, and my toner + cotton pad after didn't indicate any increased level of cleanliness. It didn't feel smoother or softer, my products didn't absorb any better, and there was certainly no miraculous "glow" that I've heard talk about.

I noticed that with continued use, my skin didn't seem to be improving, but rather getting worse. My clogged pores seemed to be getting more inflamed and I was breaking out in places I hadn't broken out in before. I kept on keeping on... but after 2 full weeks it was clear that my skin was not liking this. My skin was redder than usual. My old acne marks looked darker. Even with avoiding the active breakouts on my face, I continued to experience new breakouts all over. My skintone did not improve, nor did the texture or feel of my skin. My skin seemed more oily than usual, and it just looked dull and zitty.

Other negatives I experienced: the bristles took forever to dry (even after blotting with a towel and laying the brush out face-down in a humidity-free room) and the brush was clunky and couldn't reach every area of my face due to its size (e.g. around my nose). I didn't even really like the feeling of it on my face. The bristles didn't necessarily feel harsh, but they didn't feel particularly soft or gentle, either. And to be honest, the buzzing/vibrating feeling was stronger than I expected; it was kind of annoying on my face.

I ended up returning it to Nordstrom. My skin's condition was bad enough that I couldn't justify giving it more time to work its supposed "magic." Far be it from me to question other people's results, but for me, this was just an overhyped and incredibly expensive flop. After a few weeks of not using it, my skin went back to its previous state, confirming my suspicions that this thing was no good for me.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2012 1:21:00 PM More reviews by DizzyNicky

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law. At first I wasnít using it right and it irritated my skin and broke me out horribly. Then I just happen to see a review on YouTube by ginabinawina99 and she made me realize that I needed to cut back on the length of time I was using it. Itís programmed to run for a minute and then shut off. Now I use it for about 30 seconds in the shower everyday on my face and lips, then I use it on my knees and elbows for the rest of the time. It leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth and removes makeup build up. The charge lasts quite awhile and its compact enough to keep in the shower. Great product, would definitely recommend to my friends and family.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2012 2:10:00 AM More reviews by everdream

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can describe this product with one word - Nice. My skin texture did feel smoother after using it. However, it's just way to high maintenance and pricey for my taste.. It's not a magic product it didn't make fine lines disappear or acne scars vanish and I rather buy high-end scrubs and peels (my favorite is the Philosophy microdelivery peel!) that in the long run cost less and provide much better results.

The Clarisonic Mia may be a HG for some, but I believe a big part of the adoring reviews are because of all the hype built around this product... When you buy a 120$+ product you feel kind of bad dissing it, right? :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by ilymed2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great for gently clearing my skin of the occasional flakes caused by retin-a. I resisted getting because I assumed it'd be too much for my dry skin. Now it has become a part of my morning skin prep routine.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by PussPuss1

I was on the fence about buying this for ages, partly because I have some mild rosacea and broken caps, but I finally cracked and got one a couple of months ago. I've recently started using Tretinoin too, so it's hard to say whether it's one or the other causing the improvement, but my skin is clearer than it's been for years.

I went to see my derm the other day, and she commented that my skin was looking great! I think it's partly that I'm less inclined to pick at my skin when I'm spending a fortune to improve it, but hey, whatever it takes...