Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Microfinish Powder

3.7

100% silica

on 6/25/2010 11:40:00 AM

At first I didn't like this powder, I used it with the kabuki brush and I didn't like the look (I think too white). Then I went back to Sephora and the salesperson showed me how to tap a little bit onto a kleenex and then using a large face brush, pick up the product from the kleenex and sweep it all over the face. Much better. I'm now loving the product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

What a gorgeous powder. It's huge reputation is pretty well-deserved.
OK, to start off - yes, you can buy a very similar powder made out of the same stuff for substantially less from discount sites. I have chosen to get the real thing for three reasons: 1.) mine came in a set with other things I wanted (score!) 2.) I prefer to buy from brands that I know and trust 3.) I've heard this is more finely milled than the other, and that's quite important to me.
I absolutely don't fault anyone who chooses to try the cheaper alternative instead - go for it! However, I won't knock down my overall rating on account of price - that's what the price rating is for ... and I don't find the price to be ridiculous - expensive, yes, but not 'what a horrible rip-off' expensive.

Prior to getting this powder, I was quite happy with my Laura Mercier powders. I used her translucent powder for all-over makeup setting, and I used her secret brightening powder for under-eye setting, when I could be bothered to reach for a second product. I still think they're both great products, and I still use both of them.
However, this MUFE HD powder has a few things going for it that neither of the others have:

It's supernaturally, amazingly, this-must-be-witchcraft soft to the touch. When applied to skin, it makes your skin feel like it's made of silk. The only other thing I've tried that makes skin feel this soft is the Hourglass primer!

This powder really is translucent, like completely clear. I have seen it used even on people of very dark skin, and it doesn't add any whiteness or ashy tones. On my fair skin, this is less important, but it's good to know it doesn't add any white-cast or weird reflections for photos, and that it's not going to wash me out, or alter the color of my foundation or blush etc.

The MUFE HD powder is better at keeping oil at bay than other powders I've tried. It leaves a very dry touch to the skin, but doesn't over-emphasize any dry patches visually. Because it keeps my skin more oil-free for longer, I absolutely love this powder for summer, or anytime when I want my makeup to last a long time, and not need a touch-up to deal with oil or sweat. It's not *actually* magic, it can't stop you from sweating buckets, but it does make a difference, especially to the longevity of your makeup, not letting it just melt off as easily on a really hot day.
Because of this, I love this powder best for the warmer months, and I tend to revert to my Laura Mercier translucent powder for winter when my skin is quite dry, and I don't want to add anything that feels drying to it.

This powder works just as well for setting under-eye concealer as it does on the rest of the face. My two tips to make sure it sets under-eye concealer perfectly first to smooth your under-eye concealer immediately before applying powder to make sure it hasn't settled into any lines. Do this even if it doesn't look like it has, just to make sure. Then when you do set with this powder, use it sparingly. You're not trying to coat on a bunch of it, you're just trying to get the thinnest possible but still even application. The light application goes for the rest of the face as well. The temptation can be to use more (if a little is good, lots must be GREAT!) but that's not the way to make it look the best and the most natural. For my Laura Mercier powder, for all over the face, I prefer the powder puff application (fold and roll, pressing powder into the skin). For this MUFE HD powder, I prefer to use a large fluffy brush. I pick up a tiny bit of powder, tap off any excess, swirl the brush in the cap to even the powder through the brush, and then first lightly sweep, then gently and briefly buff it into the skin with light circular motions. Finish with gentle up and down motions on the cheeks to make sure any tiny hairs are lifted free, and then lay down flat. If you have oily skin, or, for example, an oily t-zone like I do, using a bit more powder in those areas is fine, but you don't want to use more powder than necessary anywhere that's dry or normal.

on 6/24/2010 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I absolutely love this powder! I noticed alot of reviewers commenting on how this leaves a white film on their face but I don't get that at all with this product! The trick is to dab your brush (i use a small powder brush) into the pot (I take the plastic cover off completely then put it back on when Im done. no point in using it like a salt shaker!) then brush it all over your foundation until any whiteness is gone. It will leave a very matte smooth finish..which looks incredible! Then I will apply bronzer and/or blush over that. The end result is a very clean, neat, oil-free finish! I will buy this again and again!

PROS: Filled in pores well. Minimized flaws. Didn't really age my wrinkled skin like any other powder does. Felt so good on skin. Controls oil well (maybe too well?....can be bit too dry for my dry spots.)

CONS: See above regarding my dry spots. You better like a matte look. Quite expensive (Other reviewers have said that TFB Trading or Coastal Scents make a silica powder that is much cheaper, but there is a difference in the size of the particles. I don't think that would matter, but I'll put that info. at the bottom of this review.) If you layer too much, you can get a definite white cast, especially in pix, so I suggest using a soft brush rather than a kabuki so that less will deposit on your skin. I used very little, but regardless, I still ended up a teensy bit whiter. Will probably really affect people with skin darker than mine. I'm a NC15. Too much comes out into the cap during storage, etc.

APPLICATION TIPS: MUFE recommends a soft kabuki for this of theirs, which is about $35. There is a Too-Faced flatbuki brush, which is a lot less expensive and has an even softer application (not too much deposit on skin, which I think is better anyway with this powder.)

ALTERNATES: Coastal Scents has a much cheaper version but you have to get your own container and transfer. E.L.F. has a dupe that's widely loved here.

on 6/21/2010 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I'm on my second purchase of this product. After trying many powders to cope with my oily skin yet not make me look cakey or settle into my pores, I came across this product at a Sephora. The makeup ladies pointed me to this powder. I was a little skeptical at first because I haven't used translucent or white powder before. I tried searching for another powder after my first powder was done but after not being pleased with other powders I came back to this.

The look: It does give a nice, soft, diffused, and matte finish. If you use too much, obviously it cake give off a whitish appearance. Personally, although I have oily skin, I prefer a more dewy or glowy look. I compensate by putting a shimmer highlighter on my cheekbones. I have VERY oily skin. My skin is an untapped resource of natural oil. lol. I get oily within a couple of hours and extremely oil within 6-8 hours. The powder did help a little but not as much as I hoped. If I put my makeup on at 8 AM, then my skin will start to get slight oily at noon. It puts off the oil for a couple hours I suppose than normal.

Uses: When I blot off oil with blotting sheets and touch up my makeup, I re-set my makeup with this powder. It does a good job of not looking cakey like other touchup powders. I use it to set my makeup. I also apply a little bit under my bangs and near the roots by my forehead to prevent them from looking greasy which they tend to go that way later in the day.

Price: $30 + tax. Standard price for Sephora powders but it is a slightly small package. Lasted me a good while as I didn't use too much.

Packaging: One of my complaints with it is the flimsy lid. It's ok.

Conclusion: Good powder. Definitely a safe bet and always pleases. If you are into a matte, soft look, this is the perfect powder for you! Doesn't settles into pores or lines like other powders. Only ok with oil control.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I kept hearing how great this was so I decided to get a sample from Sephora. Okay, I put it on with foundation brush over my liquid foundation (Lorac) and looked too thick and made my face extremely light. I looked like a ghost. I then switched brushes and used a fibre brush and I ended up getting random lighter spots on my face. I try to even everything out on my face but then I'd have to keep reapply the powder until my face is almost completely white.
Another thing is that when I take pictures with friends with the flash on, you can see all the nasty white powdery blotches on my face from the powder. I don't know if its just me or what... Maybe i'm applying it wrong.
Anyway, I would only recommend this because it keeps your foundation dry.

This is just an "okay" powder. It works fine to set foundation, but I don't think it is worth even half the hype.

This powder is pure silica and is very finely milled and silky feeling. What is simply rediculous is that you can get nearly a pound of the stuff for less from makeup ingredient suppliers like Coastal Scents. It is certianly not worth the $30 MUFE charges for the same thing in a jar.

This powder applies smoothly, but it isn't totally transparent. I am light (NC20) and I found it easy to apply "too much" and end up with a powder-y white cast. Even when I use a tiny amount I find that I have a very powdery appearance. This may be the "soft focus" effect, but to me it just looks powder-y.

I thought this powder did nothing for oil control, and I don't really believe that it made my foundation last any longer as I use a long lasting foundation to begin with. I had less oil on my face at the end of the day with my MAC MSF than with the MUFE.

While this powder isn't terrible, and I will likely continue to use it, I think there are better powders out there. If you are someone who loves silica powders, you can get the same thing for much much cheaper elsewhere.

on 6/14/2010 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I have to say I love this powder! It goes on smoothly and makes my face feel so soft! It definitely softens out you face for photos, which makes it look nice on camera. It mattifies so I'm not shiny and doesn't cake up or give me a white cast.

When I first started using this I put on a bit too much and I looked ghostly. I've since come to realize that a little goes a long way. The amount doesn't even show up on my brush, but it's there! When I start noticing white powder on my brush that is when I know I have picked up too much product.

When I use this to set my foundation it gets rid of that nasty sticky feeling liquid foundation gives you. But it doesn't leave a caked on mess that other powders do when you use it to set foundation. The best use I have found for it is to set my under eye concealer. It keeps my concealer from budging and it's just wonderful!

on 6/14/2010 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been wearing makeup for the past 20 years and this is the ONLY loose powder that does not : cake on me, clog my pores or irritate my skin. Totally translucent on my NC35 (summer) skin. Those who have said that it gives them look white are probably using too much of it, all you need is the tyniest bit. I buy the smallest jar available ($17 CAD) and it lasts forever. The only thing I do not like about this powder is the packaging, my small jar does not have a sifter, so I need to pour some onto the lid to make sure I don't get too much powder on my brush. Definite HG for me, will keep buying over and over.

on 6/14/2010 9:05:00 AM

Because this was Allure's top pick for loose powder in 2009, I expected it to be fantastic. I think it's okay. I didn't have any problems with it being too white on my skin (I'm a NC/NW 15), but you can barely tell it's there, which is my problem.

My foundation just isn't enough to cover any imperfections, so I like my powder to add a little more coverage, which this didn't do. I think I still prefer powder with a little colour, like the MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural or the Laura Mercier loose powder.

I do like that it comes in two sizes. If you're going to try this, go for the mini version first.

Edit-- On second thought, the more I use this the more I like it! I don't think I was using enough before. I can put a ton of this stuff on and I never look too white. I think it gives a much better finish than the MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural.

Video Reviews & Tutorials