Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Microfinish Powder

3.8

100% silica

on 6/24/2010 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I absolutely love this powder! I noticed alot of reviewers commenting on how this leaves a white film on their face but I don't get that at all with this product! The trick is to dab your brush (i use a small powder brush) into the pot (I take the plastic cover off completely then put it back on when Im done. no point in using it like a salt shaker!) then brush it all over your foundation until any whiteness is gone. It will leave a very matte smooth finish..which looks incredible! Then I will apply bronzer and/or blush over that. The end result is a very clean, neat, oil-free finish! I will buy this again and again!

PROS: Filled in pores well. Minimized flaws. Didn't really age my wrinkled skin like any other powder does. Felt so good on skin. Controls oil well (maybe too well?....can be bit too dry for my dry spots.)

CONS: See above regarding my dry spots. You better like a matte look. Quite expensive (Other reviewers have said that TFB Trading or Coastal Scents make a silica powder that is much cheaper, but there is a difference in the size of the particles. I don't think that would matter, but I'll put that info. at the bottom of this review.) If you layer too much, you can get a definite white cast, especially in pix, so I suggest using a soft brush rather than a kabuki so that less will deposit on your skin. I used very little, but regardless, I still ended up a teensy bit whiter. Will probably really affect people with skin darker than mine. I'm a NC15. Too much comes out into the cap during storage, etc.

APPLICATION TIPS: MUFE recommends a soft kabuki for this of theirs, which is about $35. There is a Too-Faced flatbuki brush, which is a lot less expensive and has an even softer application (not too much deposit on skin, which I think is better anyway with this powder.)

ALTERNATES: Coastal Scents has a much cheaper version but you have to get your own container and transfer. E.L.F. has a dupe that's widely loved here.

on 6/21/2010 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I'm on my second purchase of this product. After trying many powders to cope with my oily skin yet not make me look cakey or settle into my pores, I came across this product at a Sephora. The makeup ladies pointed me to this powder. I was a little skeptical at first because I haven't used translucent or white powder before. I tried searching for another powder after my first powder was done but after not being pleased with other powders I came back to this.

The look: It does give a nice, soft, diffused, and matte finish. If you use too much, obviously it cake give off a whitish appearance. Personally, although I have oily skin, I prefer a more dewy or glowy look. I compensate by putting a shimmer highlighter on my cheekbones. I have VERY oily skin. My skin is an untapped resource of natural oil. lol. I get oily within a couple of hours and extremely oil within 6-8 hours. The powder did help a little but not as much as I hoped. If I put my makeup on at 8 AM, then my skin will start to get slight oily at noon. It puts off the oil for a couple hours I suppose than normal.

Uses: When I blot off oil with blotting sheets and touch up my makeup, I re-set my makeup with this powder. It does a good job of not looking cakey like other touchup powders. I use it to set my makeup. I also apply a little bit under my bangs and near the roots by my forehead to prevent them from looking greasy which they tend to go that way later in the day.

Price: $30 + tax. Standard price for Sephora powders but it is a slightly small package. Lasted me a good while as I didn't use too much.

Packaging: One of my complaints with it is the flimsy lid. It's ok.

Conclusion: Good powder. Definitely a safe bet and always pleases. If you are into a matte, soft look, this is the perfect powder for you! Doesn't settles into pores or lines like other powders. Only ok with oil control.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I kept hearing how great this was so I decided to get a sample from Sephora. Okay, I put it on with foundation brush over my liquid foundation (Lorac) and looked too thick and made my face extremely light. I looked like a ghost. I then switched brushes and used a fibre brush and I ended up getting random lighter spots on my face. I try to even everything out on my face but then I'd have to keep reapply the powder until my face is almost completely white.
Another thing is that when I take pictures with friends with the flash on, you can see all the nasty white powdery blotches on my face from the powder. I don't know if its just me or what... Maybe i'm applying it wrong.
Anyway, I would only recommend this because it keeps your foundation dry.

This is just an "okay" powder. It works fine to set foundation, but I don't think it is worth even half the hype.

This powder is pure silica and is very finely milled and silky feeling. What is simply rediculous is that you can get nearly a pound of the stuff for less from makeup ingredient suppliers like Coastal Scents. It is certianly not worth the $30 MUFE charges for the same thing in a jar.

This powder applies smoothly, but it isn't totally transparent. I am light (NC20) and I found it easy to apply "too much" and end up with a powder-y white cast. Even when I use a tiny amount I find that I have a very powdery appearance. This may be the "soft focus" effect, but to me it just looks powder-y.

I thought this powder did nothing for oil control, and I don't really believe that it made my foundation last any longer as I use a long lasting foundation to begin with. I had less oil on my face at the end of the day with my MAC MSF than with the MUFE.

While this powder isn't terrible, and I will likely continue to use it, I think there are better powders out there. If you are someone who loves silica powders, you can get the same thing for much much cheaper elsewhere.

on 6/14/2010 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I have to say I love this powder! It goes on smoothly and makes my face feel so soft! It definitely softens out you face for photos, which makes it look nice on camera. It mattifies so I'm not shiny and doesn't cake up or give me a white cast.

When I first started using this I put on a bit too much and I looked ghostly. I've since come to realize that a little goes a long way. The amount doesn't even show up on my brush, but it's there! When I start noticing white powder on my brush that is when I know I have picked up too much product.

When I use this to set my foundation it gets rid of that nasty sticky feeling liquid foundation gives you. But it doesn't leave a caked on mess that other powders do when you use it to set foundation. The best use I have found for it is to set my under eye concealer. It keeps my concealer from budging and it's just wonderful!

on 6/14/2010 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been wearing makeup for the past 20 years and this is the ONLY loose powder that does not : cake on me, clog my pores or irritate my skin. Totally translucent on my NC35 (summer) skin. Those who have said that it gives them look white are probably using too much of it, all you need is the tyniest bit. I buy the smallest jar available ($17 CAD) and it lasts forever. The only thing I do not like about this powder is the packaging, my small jar does not have a sifter, so I need to pour some onto the lid to make sure I don't get too much powder on my brush. Definite HG for me, will keep buying over and over.

on 6/14/2010 9:05:00 AM

Because this was Allure's top pick for loose powder in 2009, I expected it to be fantastic. I think it's okay. I didn't have any problems with it being too white on my skin (I'm a NC/NW 15), but you can barely tell it's there, which is my problem.

My foundation just isn't enough to cover any imperfections, so I like my powder to add a little more coverage, which this didn't do. I think I still prefer powder with a little colour, like the MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural or the Laura Mercier loose powder.

I do like that it comes in two sizes. If you're going to try this, go for the mini version first.

Edit-- On second thought, the more I use this the more I like it! I don't think I was using enough before. I can put a ton of this stuff on and I never look too white. I think it gives a much better finish than the MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural.

on 6/12/2010 8:43:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This stuff works great for what it is. It does help a lot with my oilies, I usually get oily after a few hours but with this, I last through at least most of the day without looking like a disco ball. The packaging, though, is horrible. For anyone buying this, don't remove the little plastic over the holes when you get it! I'd rec stabbing holes with a needle in SOME of the holes through the plastic. if you remove the plastic the product will completely unload into the top, making a mess every time you open and want to use this! Also not a fan of the price. 30 bucks for this stuff? You can get something just as good from CS for like 4 bucks. Not that I've tried that, but after I run out of this(if I ever do!) I will.

on 6/9/2010 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I use this to set my under eye area, my forehead, and nose. I use a small brush to apply under the eye then a small puff using a press and rolling motion to apply it on larger surfaces. I don't use foundation so I liked that this feels super light just to set any concealer I would place or over concealer and pressed powder. It does last me at least half the day if not more if I'm outdoors. I wouldn't use this on the whole face because it does leave a white cast and I didn't realize this until someone took a picture of me with flash. But I would say this effect goes away after an hour and then it isn't noticeable and probably depends on not putting so much on. One jar lasted me more than a year and that's with having dropped it before and losing some product. It was my first "translucent" powder so I can't really compare with others but if I don't find anything else I like, I will buy this again.

Video Reviews & Tutorials