September 21, 2014 | 2031 users online

Masks - Aztec Secret - Indian Healing Clay

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2007 3:35:00 PM More reviews by bunnybee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this mask yet; I've been using it for years! I love it...it's pure, natural, inexpensive, versatile, and very effective! It's the only thing that will remove the very stubborn blackheads on my nose! Yes, it dries very hard and tight, even to the point that it distorts your facial features while it's on, but it WORKS!

I've tried it in numerous ways:

1. With water: the mask eventually works, but the water is slightly difficult to combine with the clay powder. It takes a while to mix, and it still usually ends up lumpy and not very easily spread on the face.

2. With ACV: this creates a fizzy sensation when combining with the clay powder, and is easier to mix than the water. Some may dislike the smell, but it's only temporary, and it does seem to make a great difference for giving the face a nice, smooth, refreshed look.

3. With milk (skim, because that's what I drink): this also creates a slight fizz when stirred into the clay powder, but it's more of a light foam effect. Mixing is very quick and easy, and the mask becomes more creamy and mousse-like in texture. Thus, it is very easy to spread onto the face. I also love how the milk creates a cooling, soothing sensation upon application. My skin loves AHAs, so the lactic acid is an added bonus to the powerful clay. ♥

4. My favorite way after all the experimentation? Aztec Indian Healing clay + ACV + 5 aspirin tablets + a dab of honey. This creates a purifying (clay, ACV, honey), oil absorbing (clay), exfoliating (ACV, aspirin), soothing and moisturizing (honey) mask that is easy to mix, easy to apply, and easy to rinse.

Another tip? Use those little plastic containers that mochi ice cream comes in. I cut up the container and use the individual "cup" to mix the mask -- it's just the right size, and it's easily reusable! continued >>

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2007 12:50:00 AM More reviews by marianita737

officially my HG mask!!! it is, in my opinion, better than any other mask i've used by leaps and bounds. i use it with apple cider vinegar about once or twice a week (my combination skin can be sensitive) and it's just amazing. you can feel it cleaning out your pores, and after using it for a few weeks my pores look smaller and skin feels smoother. also my breakouts are much less bad.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2007 1:21:00 PM More reviews by Andreangel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is fun and practical. I doubt I will have to purchase another clay mask again I can just make my own. I totally agree with one of the reviewer below saying using it full strength with water HURTS the face. I use it with milk, and I found that its great, mild enough to have my skin tolerate it, and still has the refreshing quality of a clay mask. Best part about getting a tub of this is that it makes it so easy to experiment and make your own masks. I now have a bunch of "natural ingredients" in the bath room cupboard such as Jojoba oil, caster oil, glycerin, rose water, aloe vera (which didn't work at all with this so dont try it) etc. that I mix and experiment in the Aztec clay mix to make my own masks that suits the mood. Probably the only negative thing I would say is that this can get messy to fuss around with. EDIT: Still loving it. Try this on your body! I bring a small jar of this when I travel. Ask the hotel concierge to bring me some milk (for drinking and mixing) and mix some as a body mask on. Great Fun! It leaves your skin soft and clean =)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2007 3:54:00 AM More reviews by alex_bradley

I absolutely love this mask.
At first, I used it with water, and it did an awesome job. I could tell it was working by the "pulsating" that I was feeling. I started using ACV, and it made it that much stronger. My skin is so smooth and clear, and I'm getting to the point where I won't have to wear foundation anymore.
I can use this mask every night, but I've started using it 2-3 times per week. My mother has to try to restrict my usage, because she always sees me with a mask on. I just love this mask so much.
Another plus is that the only ingredient is the clay itself, which is completely awesome.
Some may find that it is a hassle to actually mix the clay, but the result is worth it, and it lets you put whatever you want into the mix.
I totally recommend this mask. I can get a two-pound tub at my local health food store for about 13 dollars, which isn't bad because the clay lasts for so long (if you don't use it once-a-night like I did).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2007 1:04:00 AM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

this I think would be better to mix with more mild clays, especially if you have sensitive skin like mine. I used this full strength 2x and every time it HURT. now like "oh it stung a bit"; it freakin' HURT. once it started to dry and contract all I felt was pain, and trying to get it off my face only increased said pain. my skin was red and rashy. not pleasent. now maybe if you were to add a bit to QHMJM or something it would be okay, but on it's own. no way. at least for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2007 2:13:00 AM More reviews by triste3030

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this clay! I have acne prone skin and this mask helps keeps my skin clear. I use it once a week and mix it with water, and leave it on for like 15 minutes, or till it gets hard. You can feel it pulsating as it sucks out all the gunk from you pores and for only $5 for a small bottle you get your moneys worth and more. I would definalty recommend this to all those with acne prone skin, it will help you prevent future breakouts trust me!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2007 4:55:00 PM More reviews by daste

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this mask for a few years now, so I feel comfortable in finally writing a review. :) This is my staple and most-used mask. I have combo-oily skin that's prone to breakouts and use it once a week or so. I find that mixing a generous tsp of clay and a tsp of AVC is enough to cover my face with a good layer. Then I wait for it to completely dry, which can take 20-30 minutes. It does "pulse", which freaked me out at first, but now I enjoy it and take it as evidence that the mask is working. Then I use water to wash it off, sometimes using a washcloth if I'm feeling impatient. Afterward my face is red for maybe an hour, then it calms down and has a nice glow to it. I do feel that it has a cleansing effect, as I've been able to easily extract some clogged pores. Sometimes I purge a bit if I haven't used the mask for a while, but it generally helps calm down any trouble spots. I love this, it's a great value and I'll continue to use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2007 8:08:00 PM More reviews by rosalieann

i love this stuff...since i have been using it i have had no cystic acne even when i am stressed out or eating badly...before i might have had one or two cystic pimples a month...but none for three months now...my face also seems to have less redness... scars from the past cystic acne seem to be fading away as well...one warning do not wear this if there is even a chance of company coming over...you look like something that crawled out of the swamp with this on.but i would highly reccommend this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2007 6:30:00 PM More reviews by cowgurl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tend to mix this a bit runny, maybe about 1.25 - 1.5 to 1 ratio with any organic Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). The ACV is a great anticeptic and causes the clay to bind to your skin better so it really pulsates when it dries. The ratio I use takes about 1 hour to dry - YES. I have to layer it on, which I think makes it bind even better. You can see it really sticks to the skin, so I'd rate this well over Queen Helene as far as strength. Indeed, I got clever and started peeling it off one day and yanked out a bunch of eyelashes -- this stuff is Hulk strong. You want a mask to be strong to draw out impurities -- and this does that very well. Your skin may be fire-engine red after this comes off both from the AHA in the ACV and the sucking of your skin towards the mask and this will last for about 30 minutes. If the ACV is too strong for you, dilute it by 1/2. Again, the superb results come from the clay's use with the ACV which is just a great tonic for the skin, especially acne prone and congested skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2007 4:17:00 PM More reviews by benandjerrys

Hmm... I think I'm disillusioned. Traveled to Vitamin Shoppe for this potential HG. I opened it in the car, not knowing it was a bunch of powder. I made a slight mess :) Bought Bragg's Organic ACV at HEB. I've used this twice, both times with the vinegar. I wait 10-15 minutes, then rinse off. For me, it's not hard to rinse off. I'm just a bit more persistent with the water, and it will come off by itself. Yes, my face is dry, green, and cracked. Afterwards, it's a little, tiny bit red. I was expecting a miracle. Lo and behold, my face looks almost the same. I guess it's a bit better, less redness, smoother....but nothing wow! I didn't feel my pores purging or any pulsating. I'm going to try to experiment with it some more.
UPDATE: I stopped using it. I won't buy any more, since I still have the whole tub left. I used it a few times with water, and I think it was a bit better than with ACV. Still, nothing special worth the trouble.