August 27, 2014 | 1753 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2011 2:11:00 PM More reviews by oasdus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I started using Nutiva brand about three weeks ago. I take a tablespoon internally most days, but the main thing I use it for is skin and hair care. I mix it with extra virgin olive oil in a dark spray bottle and use this while my skin is still wet after showers. I put this same mixture in the ends of my hair and lightly work it through the rest. I use it while my hands are still damp after every hand washing. I also use a dab of this mix on my face, morning and night after cleansing, while skin is still slightly damp. The reasons I like it are because it keeps my skin moist and glowy, it has a nice, light smell, and it's all natural with no chemicals being absorbed into my body. I'd been using evoo alone for the last year, but it was after I added the virgin coconut oil that I noticed my eyebrows filling in more, specifically the right one where I'd overplucked the outside corner in my early 30s. I had no hope of ever getting it to grow back after no growth at all for five years. (I'm 37 as of this writing). But over the last few weeks that I added coconut oil to my evoo mix, that the hairless side of my eyebrow is filling back in. Another thing I like about this oil is that I can sit out in the sun for a few minutes to get my vitamin D and I seem to get a nice, light tan rather quickly.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2011 5:40:00 PM More reviews by mmandelik04

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love love coconut oil for my skin. My skin use to get flaky on some parts of my body (especially around my tattoos) but now that I have been using it for a little while everything feels baby soft :) I use the Spectrum brand. Organic. Unrefined. It has work the best for me. I tried whole foods brand and it broke my husband( yes he uses it too his skin has improved so much too) and me out. I bought also Dr. Bronners Organic Coconut oil and it didn't seem to moisturize so well. Not every coconut oil is the same so try a few out before saying it doesn't work for you. I am starting to get many people to try it. Everyone notices a difference especially on my face. I use it everywhere and has worked very well. I do recommend something else for your hair as coconut oil can leave your hair a little crunchy feeling after a coconut oil/honey treatment. Other than that definitely my go-to product :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2011 11:18:00 AM More reviews by Gardenia24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is for the Parachute brand that can be found online or in your local Asian/Indian food store...its about $3 US for an 8 ounce bottle. Kept at room temperature it can solidify but put it in a warm water bath and it will reliquify. Developed an addiction to it as a hair treatment while in India this year...nothing like a good head massage with it :) Leave it on overnight or pop on a shower cap for a heat treatment (thanks to your own head) and shampoo 1-2 times in the shower. Soft and silky hair with less frizz and split ends are gone. Also great for taking off eye makeup...very gentle when used with a cotton swab. Wouldn't use it for OCM because it can clog pores. Also great for moisturizing skin on your body and lightening/healing scars. It's pretty much the go-to of the oils for me. Love the smell and the price!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2011 2:55:00 AM More reviews by macmebeautiful

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love coconut oil! Once a week put this all in my hair, I really saturate my hair with it. I rub it into my scalp also to help with my dandruff. Then I leave it in for however long I want, usually about an hour and then I wash my hair really good like normal. AMAZING! I have really really damaged hair and this helps so much!

Also, please make sure to buy 100% PURE, COLD-PRESSED, ORGANIC, coconut oil. If it DOESN'T have a smell to it, it is NOT cold pressed. So that usually means it was left out for a long time to dry, days or months even, and therefore it can ferment or change colors because of the heat. Because of that, they will BLEACH the coconut oil to get that white color back, therefore leaving it with no smell.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2011 11:10:00 AM More reviews by acme27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I has been using it for around 2 years, mainly for my damaged hair. love it. I even use it on my baby's skin;)
This online shop offers very reasonable prices on everything, including coconut oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2011 9:45:00 AM More reviews by charlie686

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Coconut oil is the greatest thing. Ever. I use it for everything - to remove makeup, as a calming, deep cleaning step in my cleansing process, to heal blemishes, to bring blemishes up, to moisturize, to cook with... there's literally nothing this stuff won't do! The last reviewer that said to apply it when you're soaking wet is absolutely right - it soaks in and leaves your skin heavenly smooth, calm, and well nourished. It will "flatten" blemishes overnight, plus if you treat spots with it several times in a day, it speeds up healing like you've never seen! I love it as an alternative to BP (it seems to leave less dryness/redness/scarring, even on tragic blemishes) and it's my go-to whenever I have an odd spot that needs treating (dry, itchy patches, for example, or dry, chapped lips). The key to anyone who has had clogged pores with this - you MUST get the organic, unrefined coconut oil. It's the closest to an actual raw coconut. Any refining process ups the comodogenic factor. My husband and I love it to cook with - plus it tastes AMAZING on toast! Hands down, it is the most amazing thing I've come across - plus if you take it internally (odd texture, but if you like coconuts, it's DELICIOUS) it helps with digestion and internal health! HTH!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2011 8:23:00 AM More reviews by Nunaya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Unfortunately, I have incredibly difficult skin. I can't use any silicone (in makeup or moisturizers), glycerin, mineral oil, and a variety of other ingredients. Additionally, my skin is incredibly dry. As you can imagine, this makes finding products that are effective and don't break me out very hard.

I use coconut oil for a facial moisturizer and body moisturizer and ADORE the results. I will never be without it :) It takes a bit of special application, however, and I wouldn't recommend simply slathering it on your dry face and calling it a day. Here's how I find it's most effective:

I bring a bit of it into the shower with me in a small container. I do my shower-thang, complete with washing my face. *While I'm still soaking wet* following the shower, I immediately slather the oil on my face and body. Yes, it feels a bit weird as it doesn't mix with water well. Jump out of the shower, and towel off all of the excess oil at this point. Just gently rub down your body to take off all of the greasy-excess, and what you're left with will be smooth, supple, and wonderful smelling skin :)

I do the same thing in the evening even if I'm not showering - just wash your face and apply the oil while you're face is still dripping with water. Towel off the excess, and voila! :)

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2011 4:34:00 PM More reviews by MizMavis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I started using coconut oil a few months ago. I only put it on my body, not face, at bedtime (to avoid the daytime greasies). My skin glows. I use Spectrum Coconut Oil and it doesn't have any fragrance. I was actually disappointed by this as I love the smell of coconut. So, if you don't like the coconut scent, try this one.

I scooped this out of the original grocery jar and put it in a screw top container that formerly housed body butter, as this was easier to use then the large glass jar.

After reading all the positive comments on how well it works, I'm ready to try it on my hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2011 10:13:00 PM More reviews by Iphy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I do not like coconut oil for my skin, as I find it too greasy. It never soaks in well enough, and it leaves a strange feeling afterward. I had been massaging it on my nails/cuticles but I realized it weakened my nails to do so; my fault. I do, however, adore this on my hair. It's light, moisturizing, and almost volumizing. I apply this 30 minutes before my shower, all over, then rinse it like crazy in the shower and shampoo. My fine, thin hair looks bouncy and soft.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2011 5:45:00 PM More reviews by basmah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I use coconut oil for my hair and my body (and cooking, but that's not what I'm going to review here). I have very fine hair that lacks volume. I use coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment on dry hair, just on the lower pony tail section of my hair and it is really moisturizing, but it also makes my hair feel thicker, which I love. i also have very dry skin on my body and I like using this occasionally after I get out of the shower on damp skin. For some reason it makes the KP on my upper legs (I don't have KP anywhere else) disappear, which obviously is a good thing. It is also very moisturizing. However, I do find it quite messy, which is the only down side I can think of. Would repurchase.