November 28, 2014 | 1066 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2011 2:02:00 PM More reviews by Juno77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is so comedogenic its funny. BUT I love to put it in smoothies and fry with it. Maybe use it on my cuticles.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2011 5:34:00 PM More reviews by JadoreJessica

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My hairs been to hell and back over the past 3/4 years, every colour under the sun, you name it, I've had it. While having a ganders in Holland & Barrett, I came across this little beauty; I remembered reading rave reviews about it, so I chucked it in my basket and rushed home to try it on my hair. I've never looked back. I can now brush my hair without fear of it falling out in clumps, my hair actually moves it isn't all straw like, it looks supple and shiny. I can't rate coconut oil enough, it's a god send and unlike other products that claim to restore my hair, it doesn't leave a gaping hole in my purse! I LOVE it. I like to leave it on overnight after putting it on dry hair, and wrapping my hair up in an old scarf (think 1950's house wife doing the chores, very attractive) then wash and dry in the morning :) result? Fab hair ;)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I noticed my hair started to be really thin (they have always been very fine) so I red a lot of great reviews about Coconut Oil. It took me a while to find it, as they are really expensive (in Canada) and its not that easy to find Virgin, Organic and Cold pressed at the same time. Health stores has many of them but over $20. Finally I found one, that is actually new, it is not only from the whites of coconut but also the little darker skin, that gives more flavour and scent. I love it, smells like Bounty, so yummy! Its called Dr. Bronner's "Magic All-One" Whole Kernel Unrefined Coconut Oil, and it is 414 ml, 14 oz jar (Organic, Virgin, cold pressed) for $10.25. I used it for:
HAIR: First day I applied it to my hair and let it stay for couple of hours, it felt really nice (no leaks, etc as it is usually from most of the masks) and it smells so nice! Unlike Olive oil that I couldnt wash out even after 2 trys, this one came out ok and my hair felt so silky, smooth and full afterwards! I absolutely couldnt believe it! I will keep using it at least once a week and see if my hair becomes stronger.
HANDS: I got some little rash on my hands and it didnt go away for a few days, until once I applied Neosporin (it became much better). But after getting Coconut Oil, I applied it during night and next day it was almost all gone. Now I use it on my hands to moisturize it and the rash hasnt come back. I love that it soaks into skin pretty fast and doesnt seem too oily. And I just adore the smell.

I only wish there were smaller container specially for travel. They sell only big jars that is not easy to carry with.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2011 1:39:00 PM More reviews by geektastic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have straight, very thick, Asian hair that generally always looks fairly healthy and shiny. However, ever since I started using henna and coconut oil on my straight Asian hair, it has been gleaming and stronger than it has ever been.

Here is my favorite way to use it: I rub a generous amount into dry hair, ears down, before I shower. Not so much that, say, it's totally coated and all my hair is piecey lol- enough so that I wouldn't leave the house with hair that greasy looking. Then, I shampoo as normal - I never shampoo ears down, I concentrated on my roots, then bundle up my ends in my hands as I rinse, to minimize drying. Thus, all the oil is pretty much still in the hair. Then, I add conditioner from the ears down, pull my hair into a bun, and stick it in a shower cap for about 5 min while I shave, do body wash, etc. before rinsing out the conditioner. The conditioner sort of melts with the oil so that, believe it or not, my hair does NOT turn out greasy even though I never shampooed it out. I've found that almost no matter how much oil I put in pre-shampoo, it will never turn out greasy - but I've found that putting in too much just doesn't look as good afterwards. It might take some trial & error to find your optimal amount. But I've found mine, and my hair always ends up to sleek and shiny!

I also like to rub a bit through dry hair. Or, before I'm about to clarify my hair, I will put in a very generous amount roots to ends, then shampoo the entire length of my hair.

I use CO as a body moisturizer as well. I used to use EVOO on my body, but I think CO sinks in better and leaves a prettier sheen. Also, I much prefer the smell - after all, coconut is something that is actually used often in body lotion and body sprays... olive oil, not so much.

I use unrefined virgin coconut oil from Trader Joe's, about $5 for a huge tub. What a great deal!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2011 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Aeternitas

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Ok, MUA. Go ahead and crown me the coconut oil queen. I am obsessed with it. I hardly know where to start! Bear with me, as this review might be long; I'll break it up into parts so just read what interests you. For reference, I have combination/dry skin that is acne prone.

I've only used one brand of coconut oil, which is the LouAna brand you can find in the cooking section of WalMart. It's $6 per 30 ounce tub. This brand makes products/oils specifically for cooking or frying, so I was skeptical of trying it as a beauty product. However, the only ingredient listed is: coconut oil, which is what you want in a coconut oil (right? ;p) I figured this would do, since it was the only coconut oil available. It has a yellow tint; this brand's oil is deodorized, processed, and refined. This doesn't bother me, but I think most oil-users will tell you that you should get UNrefined (it might be better, more effective, and safer to use). When I finish this tub of LouAna, I will move on to an unrefined oil. Anyway, LouAna has been working beautifully for me in the past month. Here we go...

HAIR: My original intent in buying coconut oil was for my over-processed hair which is almost down to my butt. I went from brown to blonde and my hair was in desperate need of a drink. The night I got my highlights done, I ran out to buy this magical coconut oil that I was hearing about. Once I got home, I put about one and a half cups of coconut oil in a bowl, heated it, and drenched my dry hair with it for one hour, including scalp. Some people use it on wet hair, but I find that dry hair will soak it in more effectively. I washed it out in the shower and shampooed it twice to make sure it wouldn't leave a greasy residue.
- The effect: Once my hair started to air-dry after the shower.... man. I've never felt my hair so silky and soft. It was frizz-less; my natural wavy curls looked so healthy and my ends didn't look so horribly fried. I was stunned. I now do this once a week as a hydrating treatment for my hair. It's also good as a leave-in conditioner on wet hair, if used sparingly; it really leaves your hair smooth when you blow-dry it or straighten it. No other synthetic hair crap compares.

ECZEMA: After I used this oil for my hair and saw what it did, I tried it on my body. I slathered it on and massaged it into my skin. Obviously I used my hands, and at the time, I was having a breakout of dyshidrotic eczema all over my hands and feet. The breakouts happen once or twice a year from stress, dryness, or weather change. Dyshidrotic eczema are clusters of little red bumps or blisters that itch and cause tightness in the skin, mostly on hands and feet (though I've had it on my knees and elbows as well). I was not expecting coconut oil to work for my eczema, nor did I buy it for that purpose. I wasn't even concerned with what it would do for my eczema.
- The effect: I woke the next morning without one single trace of my eczema. Not one. It had completely disappeared. After that, I looked online and read many things about how great coconut oil is for many forms of eczema and Keratosis Pilaris. The reason for my eczema must have been serious dryness in my hands; the coconut oil hydrated my hands and left them incredibly soft with no eczema in sight. I use it on my hands and feet every night before bed. I wish my fiance' would let me use it on his dried up crocodile feet!

NAILS: As another unexpected plus from using coconut oil, I've notice that using it on my hands every night has made my nails stronger and healthier looking. I've had dry fingernails my whole life that were very much comparable to corn flakes. They'd start cracking before they even grew past my fingertip. I've always been told to drink more milk, to that which I say "shut up" (not really) because I drink more milk than anyone I know and it's never helped. This has significantly reduced the cracks in my nails. I actually LIKE my nails, now. The oil also softens the cuticles. I massage the oil right into the cuticle, over the nail, and underneath the nail. They've never looked better, but they're still not amazing nails (I'll blame my genes for that).

BODY(Skin): Every once in a while I will use it on my body after a shower or shave. It's deeply hydrating, especially for my thirsty skin. I'm like a sponge. I don't use it often only because it takes a while for it to soak in completely; it doesn't really "dry" - so I have to wait before I put on clothes or go to bed. It strangely hasn't done wonders for my body like it has my hands, face, and hair, but it does make my skin softer after each use.

FACE: As I previously mentioned, I have acne prone skin. It took a lot of thought before I actually decided to put this on my face. The idea of an oily, greased-up face made me cringe and I thought "this is gonna make me break out and clog my pores like no other". I tried it anyway because I'm desperate when it comes to my face. I've been suffering a lot of breakouts, pimples, and cystic acne for the past couple of months, right after my face was finally ALMOST clear (I was so damn close!). I exfoliate and cleanse before I apply this to my face on a nightly basis.
-The effect: holy sh*t. My redness and acne was GONE. It did the polar opposite of what I thought it would do. It nearly cleared my face up overnight, except a few cystic bumps that were greatly reduced in size. Not only my acne, but my face looked so fresh, plumped, and smooth when I woke up. I've used expensive night creams, and coconut oil tops them. It's unbelievable. I use coconut oil religiously. I put it on my lips and eyelashes and it helps them as well.

WHAT IS COCONUT OIL GOOD FOR?
Dry skin, hands, feet, hair, eyelashes, and lips. It is a wonderful overnight treatment for hydrating the face, reducing wrinkles, strengthening nails, and aiding the treatment of eczema. The reason it's so effective is it's antimicrobiaI properties. It's the ultimate be

121 out of 123 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2011 12:50:00 PM More reviews by catjacarol

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I would give my regimen 10 lippies if I could. Coconut oil has saved my fragile, dry relaxed hair.

I use coconut oil with some extra steps to create the best pre-treatment EVER.

I moisten my hair with rose water and then apply glycerin from root to tip. Then I repeat the process. After that I coat every strand with a mix of coconut oil with one dropper of neem oil added for extra punch. Keep in mind, neem oil stinks. I leave this on for at least overnight, but have left it on for as long as a day under a plastic cap while cleaning house or working in the back yard (under a ball cap of course and a privacy fence hee hee!)

If I don't have the time or don't want to let it sit that long, I sit under a warm dryer for about 30 minutes. Then I wash with sulfate free shampoo (twice) to get rid of the scent and use a creme rinse conditioner. I follow it with a light spray of Chi Keratin mist and a blow dry. My hair is full, soft, shiny and hair model swingy!!! I don't use any other products and have been so satisfied since I figured this out through trial and error.

I am just sad that I have a closet full of silicone glossers and expensive "moisturizing conditioners" that I wasted my money on. This is cheap and works better than anything I have ever tried.

My skin is acne prone, so I make sure to wash my face and hairline thoroughly to keep from getting a break out. So far so good. I will keep you updated if I make any changes.

Coconut oil is the hair HG for my conditioning needs :D

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by uyai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

Virgin Coconut Oil is my HG body moisturizer. I use it after my shower - only a small bit is needed - and it leaves my skin feeling velvety smooth. I've had stubborn KP on the tops of my arms for aslong as I can remember, and coconut oil is the only thing that successfully removes it. A lot of body lotions feel sticky/heavy but coconut oil suprisingly doesn't (assuming you don't use too much) and absorbs quickly. My skin is left hydrated for days on end. It's a whole other story on my face though. I have very sensitive breakout prone skin and coconut oil leaves me with huge cysts and red pimples everywhere. It all depends on your skin though as some people have used it on their face and love it.

In regards to hair, I'm not overly impressed with it. It fades my colour ridiculously quickly and it can be a PITA to remove from my hair if it gets anywhere near my scalp. I do not notice any increased shine...I prefer sesame oil as it helps retain my colour and makes my hair very shiny after rinsing out. I heard that coconut oil penetrates the hair from inside the shaft making it stronger though, maybe that's why I don't notice visable effects in regards to shine. One thing I will say is that it does seem to make my hair healthier and I don't get as much breakage as I used to. So a thumbs up for making hair stronger, thumbs down for shine.

I also love incorporating coconut oil into my diet. Some of you may know that some super models such as Miranda Kerr love it - she says she has 4 tablespoons per day, either on her salad, in her cooking or in a cup of green tea. I too have been using it on my salads and mixed into millet seeds or quinoa for about 3 years now. It tastes DIVINE and I have noticed good changes in my skin, I used to have terrible acne all over but for the past 2.5 years my skin has been relatively clear unless makeup is breaking me out. I also contribute it to maintaining my weight, having lost 3 stone (42lbs) since I started including it in my diet. This is because it's easy to digest and it helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and enzymes systems. Further, it increases the body metabolism by removing stress on pancreas. Some may be worried because it's high in saturated fat but don't be. It IS beneficial for the heart as it contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. The saturated fats in coconut oil are not like the ones in other vegetable oils as it does not lead to increase in LDL levels.

Good stuff, all natural, readily available and affordable. I buy VCO from any health shop - there are good ones in Greenwich Market (for those of you in London like me, costs about 3) or any Holland & Barretts store (huge tub for around 10).

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2011 11:43:00 AM More reviews by angelinuh

I use coconut oil as a natural way to help with shine and upkeep on my hair. I don't have colored or damaged hair, and I want to try and keep it that way! I use just a bit on my hair (as my hair is greasy naturally a little bit goes a long way for me) and I use it as a makeup remover (works wonders). It is a great conditioning treatment for hair, nails, eyes, and for overall health happiness.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2011 11:21:00 AM More reviews by taralynn36

I use this in 3 ways. My favorite way is to put a small amount of this on my hair at night and then wash it out in the morning. You don't need a lot, at least not on my fine hair. Since I don't use a lot, I don't need to worry about my pillows. It soaks it right in. I like to use it once a week. Between this and the Apoghee protein treatment, my hair at 39 is in the best shape ever. And I swear it's growing a lot faster, or so it seems maybe because I have far less breakage and shedding.

I also use it as a makeup remover. Granted, my skin isn't sensitive or breaks out easily. So I liquify it in my hands and then rub it in really well. Sometimes I wash it with cleanser or I use my baby wipes to wipe it off. (Instead of buying makeup remover wipes, I buy baby wipes and mix a little baby shampoo or Dr. Bonner's castille soap and water and pour in the container to saturate) It works wonders on makeup and I have no problems with clogged pores. Sometimes I dab a little underneath my eyes at night for extra moisturizing. It's also great to remove long wear lipsticks like Infallible or Outlast!

I also find this to work really well to put on my elbows, knees, and feet before using sunless tanner. It creates a good barrier to keep from getting to much on these areas. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2011 6:54:00 AM More reviews by MichikoFliz

Best multipurpose product ever.
Perfect for making damaged hair beautiful again. Great makeup remover and moisturiser. Helps with acne since it is antibacterial, fade scars as well as anti-aging.
Can be ingested as well for health benefits. I love it, I'll always have some of this lying around. It is too good and eliminates the need for x number of products.
This does it all and doesn't cost that much for a giant tub. Everyone else can buy their expensive cleansing balms and hair treatments, I am going to stick with coconut oil, this is what dreams are made of.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No