MAC # 239 Eye Shader Brush

4.7

on 5/13/2006 6:01:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This was one of the first "real" makeup brushes I purchased over two years ago, and it's still in excellent condition today. I like this brush because the hairs are densely packed and pick up a lot of pigment. I like using this for applying a base flesh-toned eye shadow color like the satin e/s in Nars AAE all over the lid. It also works well for packing in darker colors in the crease. Overall, I don't find this brush as useful as the other ones I own (213, 224, 217), so I probably won't repurchase this.

on 4/28/2006 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Awesome liner/smudge brush. Really gives you control. SO soft too! LOVE IT! Worth every penny!

on 4/28/2006 5:14:00 AM

this brush is wonderful. i used to use sponge tip applicators every day, but the color took a while for me to even out. i eventually decided to give in and purchase this product. the bristles are soft yet sturdy, and makes it easier to evenly apply the e/s. the bristles are dense and pack on the color really well. definitely purchase this brush!

*edit*5/16/06: wow the more i use this brush to more i love it! since i've used it i noticed that my e/s application time went down from fifteen minutes to five. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

why did i wait to long to get this brush!!!! i've tried it with my e/s that dont show up too well, even with a base and WOW.....this definitely intensified them.....it packs in the color and i dont get the funky blotchy looks that i get from my other cheapy brushes.....its definitely worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on 4/9/2006 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased 2 of these sight unseen just b/c of the rave reviews. It's a small paddle shaped head with a nice long handle. It's the perfect brush for packing on color, especially useful for pigments. The firm but soft bristles distribute color evenly and precisely. Retails for $24.00USD

on 3/31/2006 3:07:00 PM

I used to think that it was crazy to spend this much money on a brush. Finally, I decided to splurge..and I must say that I was WRONG about my original thought. This is the first MAC brush I've ever purchased and have not ever regretted it for a second. I use it for practically everything...packing on e/s, putting shadow in the crease and even blending! I definitely recommend this as a starter brush AND as a must have in every collection. I've had the 239 for about a year now and the quality is still amazing. BUY THIS BRUSH!! You wont be disappointed:)

on 3/6/2006 10:37:00 PM

My first MAC brush! I'm impressed with the quality of their brushes overall. I like this 239 for packing on lighter, less pigmented shadows. I'm still getting the hang of it, but it does get my shadows showing up better than other brushes. Great sturdy black handle.

on 3/6/2006 4:46:00 PM

I purchased this brush along with the 219 and 217 brushes based on the reviews. As it turned out, I ended up wanting to use the 217 brush for everything and never reaching for this one. Yes, it does a good job of packing on eyeshadow but I found it awkward to use and the 217 much more natural to use but thats personal preference. It seemed to stiff for swishing on shadow from the tip for overall color. I ended up returning this for the #272 brush which is very similar except very slightly less stiff with a slanted end instead of dome-shaped. I find the 272 much more useful because I can use it to densely pack on shadow when using it flat and for a wash of color using it from the top. The 272 is also superioa because it can fit into the crease area. Would not repurchase the 239 as I have the 272.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Not sure this brush needs another review, but it is one of my favorite brushes (and i have over 100 - no i'm not kidding). This brush is good for an all over color, crease color or for blending. Its very soft with a lot of bristles but has a good taper which is what allows the brush to pick up a good amount of color. Since the bristles are also soft you wont find it gouging out your favorite soft texture shadows (like some of stilas shadows or mac's satin finish shadows) as some other brushes tend to do. The bristles are white which is why it appears "dirty" quickly, but all brushes get just as "dirty" you just notice it more on the white brushes. All you need is a good spray brush cleaner or wipe it after use on a makeup wipe if the color deposit really bothers you. Then give it a good clean with either a mild shampoo or brush cleaner on occasion. It's very durable and can stand up to frequent washing ( i fully wash every brush after every use - you have to when you're a professional). Whether you're a professional or not, this is definitely a brush you should have in your bag. On occasion mac comes out with a limited edition of this brush (usually with a colored handle instead of the standard black) which is usually also a short handle - good for someone who likes to keep their brushes in a small makeup bag or purse.

on 1/31/2006 10:17:00 PM

The most amazing brush...ever. I use it EVERY time I apply eyeshadow. This is the most verasitle brush ever!! I only have one but I really need like 10. Its the BEST eyeshadow brush in the world!!

Video Reviews & Tutorials