Retin A

4.1

Retin A Cream Each g of cream contains: tretinoin 0.01%, 0.025%, 0.05% or 0.1% in a bland, hydrophilic base. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, isopropyl myristate, polyoxyl (40) stearate, purified water, sorbic acid, stearic acid, stearyl alcohol and xanthan gum. Retin A Gel Each g of gel contains: tretinoin 0.01% or 0.025%. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, ethanol undenatured and hydroxypropyl cellulose. Retin-A Liquid (0.05% Tretinoin w/w) polyethylene glycol 400, butylated hydroxytoluene and alcohol (denatured with tert-butyl alcohol and brucine sulfate) 55%

on 12/3/2007 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

I am so grateful for Retin-A. I have suffered with acne for so long, and nothing worked. And then I went on Retin-A. This is the only treatment that has kept my acne under control. Although i still get blemishes from time to time, it has improved greatly. I've been using it for 2.5 years now, and it has helped my acne, pores, and overall refined my skin. There is a initial red, peeling, dryness, and breakout phase, but if you just stick with it, your skin will thank you in the end! It's kind of expensive, but well-worth it. Plus, its also a preventative measure for wrinkles!

on 12/2/2007 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I used this product a few years ago. They only thing it succeeded in doing was make my face peel like crazy.

on 11/28/2007 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

ive been using this for a while now and i does find that it makes my skin quite dry so in the day i have peelies but also very oily skin :(. but my skin is absolutely glowing and my keratosis pilaris and my acne is gone. i sometimes alternate retin a with a face oil (for moisturization) at night, and it doesnt affect how the retin a works. i am addicted to this stuff! my skin has never looked so good and i have never looked so glowy and healthy!

on 11/26/2007 1:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This didn't work for me. I used it on and off for years, and I never got to a point where it wasn't really irritating. Much worse, it made no difference in my acne. I also tried Retin-A Micro and it was the same story. However, I now use another prescription retinoid Tazorac, and this irritates me a LOT less and does well smoothing my skin. If you find Retin-A doesn't work, consider Tazorac or Differin.

on 11/12/2007 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Great exfoliator, but use sparingly. You need a Px for this. Use sunscreen!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have been using Retin A for almost six months. While I have yet to see any anti-aging effects, it has helped keep my skin relatively clear. I used to get hormonal, cystic chin and jawline breakouts and this has eliminated them. I do still flake and peel on my chin and around my mouth from time to time, not really sure why. I am hoping eventually this will help with the fine lines I am beginning to get.

on 10/31/2007 8:47:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I love Retin-A .1% - I can apply this two nights in a row, and then three days later have a complete peel without the down time of being red or dry. The peel doesn't come in sections; it just happens one day, so you've got a clean slate! I love it, but I never use it more than 2-3 times a month, or I can get a little sensitive.

on 10/23/2007 10:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have tried Retin A twice now and won't try it again. How I envy these reports of wonderful results. My skin looked like it had been horribly burned and felt like it too. It peeled off almost to the bone. It was so painful I couldn't sleep. There was no way I could continue with it, no way at all.
I am a blue eyed blond with very pail skin and sunburn easily. I had bad cystic acne in my 30's when I tried this. The acne, as horrible as it was, was better than the burning red sloughing off of my skin.

on 10/9/2007 8:30:00 AM

I'm using Retin-A 0.1% cream.

I've been using this for about 6 weeks now. I've had minimal flaking and no real irritation. I had a small breakout around week 3 but it was gone within about 5 days.

For the first 2 weeks I used it every third night. For the next 2 weeks I used it every second night. Then I moved up to using it every night. Taking it slowly definately helps to reduce irritation.

Most nights I've used it on it's own. Although, if my skin has been flaking or I'm feeling just a little bit dry, I will apply some moisturiser very lightly about 15 minutes after applying the Retin-A.

My pores are already noticably clearer and smaller, my skin texture is definately smoother and my complexion is very even, with a slight glow.

I am amazed at how quickly Retin-A has worked, and at how quickly I have adapted to using it, especially given I'm using the strongest available.

I can't imagine wasting money on these "miracle in a bottle" creams now, or being without Retin-A. Highly recommended!

-- update --

Sadly I've had to discontinue using Retin-A cream. I found it was blocking my pores and it started to cause my skin to become very sensitive. I'm going to be trying Differin Gel on the recommendation of a derm.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought the generic retin a cream 0.05% from alldaychemist.com, its called Retino-A cream. I wanted to try it because, although differin 0.1% gel cleared up my acne just fine, I wanted something stronger to help with the long-term anti-aging and pore size. I tried taz 0.1% but that was way too strong, and I was red and flaky, very bad. I tried skinceuticals retinol 1.0 but that made me red and flaky too. So that is how I got to the retin a 0.05% cream. Wow, I should have tried this first. Ive used it a few days in a row at night, and havent gotten any irritation, flaking, or redness! I also had a monster pustule under my skin that wasnt to a head yet, but I knew it had to come to a head and drain before it could begin to heal, but I didnt want to pick at it, so I put the retin a on it, and the next day it came to a head and drained. And now its getting better with each day. The generic I got is called Retino A and is made by johnson and johnson for india, is a 20gram metal tube (which will last forever since I only use a pea sized amount), and I think it was $2. Hopefully I will continue to have luck with this. I was skeptical about the cream since I break out easily, but Ive had no problems yet. I'll update more later. It smells a little like the Avene retinaldehyde products, I dont know how to describe it. but its not greasy and sinks in fast. the cream has a shiny/shimmery look to it, which I thought was funny (the same way Avene Diacneal looks a little shimmery).
****update**** I am going to stop using this for a few days. I think the cream base is clogging my pores :( because I havent really changed anything else in my skincare. I'll update later.
*******update #2, 11/01/07********* I just started using the 0.025% gel a few days ago because I was very much broken out (a rich cleanser and moisturizer combined with no exfoliation = bad bad pimples for me!) Now at day 3, I am in the peeling stage. Just started today. I had some irritation yesterday though. Im only 26 and my skin usually has a fast turnover rate, so Im hoping the peeling will go away soon and that my skin will be adjusted fast. When my skin peeled on Taz 0.1% cream, it was awful, and all over. But this peeling from the retin A 0.025% gel isnt that bad, just a little annoying, only near my mouth and tip of my nose. Im exfoliating with a baby washcloth, gently, to get rid of it when I wash. I might start using a more moisturizing sunscreen (like L'Oreal Revitalift UV, instead of my aveeno pos. ageless spf 30 stuff). hate the peelies! will update later.*********update 12/05/07********* Ive decided that my skin doesnt like retin A. The peeling is under control if I buffer it with a moisturizer and only use a pea sized amount. But something happens to my skin while on retin A (and similarly with tazorac) - that even though the flaking and peeling subside, and even if I adjust the amount of retin A used, and even though I buffer, my skin takes on this weird nature - its like it becomes so freaking delicate and fragile that if I have an itch on my face I have to be careful not to scratch too hard otherwise I might take some skin off. perhaps thats an exaggeration, but... it really bothers me to have my skin be this sensitive. I did see a lessening of acne, which is good. But I think I will go back to my trusty Differin Gel. I stopped using it to "move up" to stronger retinoids like retin A. but my skin doesnt like them. oh well. its still a good product for a lot of people though.**********************update 01/29/08********* wow this review is getting very long. the differin I was using, though it worked well, I still had a couple zits at all times.. wasnt sure what I wanted more - sensitive but no-zit skin, or comfortable skin with a few zits. .. *sigh*. Well, I decided to give retin a another shot since my skin was looking dull lately. This time I wanted to take all precautions to make sure I got as little irritation as possible. So I used the 0.05% tretinoin cream (not the gel since gels are stronger), but this time I waited a full 30 minutes *after* cleansing before applying a *pea-sized* amount, and then applied a moisturizer an hour later. WOW! Sweet Jesus what a difference. My skin isnt sensitive, the tone is looking better and better every day, old acne red spots are fading.. and Ive only been using this a week! And I didnt have any purging because I think I purged it all with the differin. Only minor flaking, but was taken care of with some creme de la mer and a baby washcloth. Very very minimal redness and sensitivity. I cant wait to see what my skin will be like in one month.. 6 months... 10 years.. from now. And this stuff has been around forever so generics are very cheap. If you used this before and had lots of flaking/irritation - make sure you WAIT 30 minutes or more after cleansing before you apply this. And try the cream, its gentler. Wow... now I know what everyone is raving about.

Popular Treatments (Face)