October 20, 2014 | 880 users online

Brows - Maybelline - Define-A-Brow

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2008 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Blondie81

Let me start by saying, I am a brow nut. I have sparse light brown brows, and want them to look full, yet I refuse to use anything that doesn't look very natural. I was a huge fan of Bare Escentuals brow powder, but needed something faster for everyday use. This pencil is great. I use the dark blonde shade, which is prefect for my light brown hair and brows. Using the comb after penciling in really helps soften any hard edges. I always finish off with a brow gel too to keep my brows perfect all day. I never thought I would use a pencil over powder again, but this is excellent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2008 11:57:00 PM More reviews by MrsLayneStaley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a wonderful drugstore find. Brows are my mu obsession, so I have tried nearly every product available. I keep coming back to this. I prefer the Medium Brown. It has an ultra-fine point, and blends very well. Stays put without needing touchups for my entire work day (9 hours). Maybelline claims it's waterproof, but I haven't tested it under those conditions. The one thing I wish they would change is that worthless comb on the end. Replace it with a good spoolie (w/cap), please!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2008 7:55:00 PM More reviews by skagirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this brow liner! I bought Dark Brown, which I though was going to be too light because I've tried Maybellines former brow liners and the "darkest" browns were actually "light" brown. But actually it was pretty dark. It blended into my natural brows, without looking obvious. What I love about this product is that the point is really fine. I am able to fill in my brows nicely and create thin lines. Best part is that I dont have to sharpen it. Also, theres no issue with smudging. The liner stays put all day and night, as long as you dont rub your brows vigorously.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2008 3:07:00 PM More reviews by ilikenicestuff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

EDIT: So came the day, when I got a little too happy with my plucking and my MAC pencil was all out. Tried to use the Maybelline and no matter how light my hand was, it gave me 'angry' brows. Tried and tried. The 'point' is larger than MAC's 'point'. Could not get a natural, hair like line out of it for the areas that had no hair, was fine to fill in between hairs, but drawing new 'hairs', fuggedaboutit. So... Back to MAC, I go.

___________________________________________________
MAC may be in trouble. Well, maybe not. I bought this for my emergency/touch up makeup kit. You know the one, the one that you wouldn't mourn for days if you lost it. (I keep comparable products in my handbag, for emergencies or quick touch ups, but do my makeup with my MAC favorites in the morning before leaving home)

Very, very comparable to MAC crayons (MAC: Spiked, Maybelline: Dark Brown). But if your hand is a little heavy the lines go awry.

Would definitely repurchase. Great backup as well since I'm not buying a $14 pencil to have it sit there til I need it. For $6 bucks, good stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2008 1:36:00 PM More reviews by Duchess915

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The Define-a-Brow pencil (Dark Brown) is exactly like Clinique's eyebrow pencil. Except a whole lot cheaper. I never thought I would switch but I am ecstatic about this find. Why pay more just for the name. If you like Clinique's Superfine Brow pencil, you will definitely like Maybelline's Define-A-Brow pencil.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2008 6:15:00 PM More reviews by smallpup

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this. I would say using Sonia Kashuk "Night" shadow and a brush looks best on my brows, but this looks pretty good too and is a lot easier when you're in a rush. As I always am in the morning. I agree that it does give a sharper brow than shadow.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2008 12:19:00 PM More reviews by glossy81

i love this product. i was using shadow and a brush to fill my brows in and got sick of the process, so i decided to pick up a pencil. this works beautifully and it lasts. i use the dark brown pencil. it's faster for me and gives me a sharper looking brow than i was getting with the shadow. will definitely repurchase.
EDIT**** I realized this doesn't last. looks great but doesn't have the staying power. will probably try the MAC one next.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2008 8:30:00 PM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

this is a really nice product, although there are a few things i would change about it. first the good things: the color that i bought, Light Blonde, is a very nice, natural, not too warmly toned color for anyone with light/medium/dark blonde brows. there is a Dark Blonde color but i would recommend getting Light Blonde as it's not too light at all, my hair is actually naturally dark blonde but dyed auburn right now and it still looks great on me. Dark Blonde would prob be better for someone with light to medium brown hair, as it's always more flattering for your brow pencil to be a bit lighter than your natural brows vs. a bit darker. the pencil itself is very thin, which is nice, i had recently tested out the Prescriptives Groom Stick for Brows and this Define-a-Brow pencil is basically it's low-end sister, AKA the exact same thing for a third of the price. because it's so thin you never have to sharpen it, you just twist it up, almost like a lipstick or a no-sharpen lipliner. this is very convenient and i really appreciate it because sharpening pencils is so annoying and wastes tons of product. the pencil itself is very, very soft, so soft that (like someone said below) you have to twist it up multiple times while doing both of your brows. not really a problem except i can see this pencil being used up extremely quickly thus making it pretty expensive for how often you'd have to repurchase it. since it's soft it blends like a dream and also stays put, looks lovely and very natural, and really doesn't disappoint. the little comb on the end is utter crap though, it doesn't blend the product in at all, you'll def need to use a regular brow brush. i just can't understand why Maybelline would put that stupid Barbie comb on the end of this when it doesn't work and they could have just as easily put on a regular little dense brush or even a mascara spoolie that would have worked so much better! that makes it annoying, because you have to carry around an extra tool to be able to use the product. other than that, it's a great product. i'm torn on whether or not i would buy this again, not because i don't like the product but because i also bought the Wet'n'Wild Kohl Brow-Eyeliner pencil in Taupe 648 for only 99 cents and it's every bit as good for a fraction of the price. if i hadn't found the W'n'W pencil, i would probably buy again. even though it has flaws, it's a really nice product for the price.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2008 7:09:00 PM More reviews by lindy2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this in Light Blonde, hoping for a cheaper alternative to MAC Fling. While the color is somewhat warmer than Fling, it's close enough that I might have considered repurchasing - until I realized something. You wouldn't know by looking at it, but there is much less product in this one. The MAC Crayon at $14 is .09g, while this one cost me $6.99 but is only .05g. (Now I know why that useless comb is on the product end, rather than the cap.) True, you can buy it on sale or use a coupon, but unless it's a BOGO free deal, there's not much difference in price. I think that's rather deceptive, given that it's a drugstore brand. There aren't even any testers to see the colors. I would have liked to compare this to the Dark Blonde shade, but given that I love MAC Fling, there's no reason to buy this again. (The only thing I like better about it is that the bright green packaging stands out in my case and I don't have to dig around looking for it.)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2008 1:17:00 AM More reviews by ivysmom1

I used to use MAC brow pencil in Lingering. But I started using this as it is comparable to MAC. I have been using the dark blonde shade and it is a natural match for me. I cant stand to not have my brows filled in b/c I have to have the shape defined with pencil to see it so I go thru pencils very quickly. Probably one every 4-6 weeks so it was adding up with MAC. Luckily these are cheaper and go on sale often so I can get them B1G1 and stock up. The only complaints are the silly comb; which I use to brush my brows into place but would really prefer a brush to blend. And I wish I could see when Im running out. It sucks to be doing your make up and have one brow done and there is none left for the other side! So Ive learned to keep more than one at a time. Ive bought several of these and will continue to repurchase.