August 29, 2014 | 1888 users online

Brows - Maybelline - Define-A-Brow

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2008 6:15:00 PM More reviews by smallpup

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this. I would say using Sonia Kashuk "Night" shadow and a brush looks best on my brows, but this looks pretty good too and is a lot easier when you're in a rush. As I always am in the morning. I agree that it does give a sharper brow than shadow.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2008 12:19:00 PM More reviews by glossy81

i love this product. i was using shadow and a brush to fill my brows in and got sick of the process, so i decided to pick up a pencil. this works beautifully and it lasts. i use the dark brown pencil. it's faster for me and gives me a sharper looking brow than i was getting with the shadow. will definitely repurchase.
EDIT**** I realized this doesn't last. looks great but doesn't have the staying power. will probably try the MAC one next.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2008 8:30:00 PM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

this is a really nice product, although there are a few things i would change about it. first the good things: the color that i bought, Light Blonde, is a very nice, natural, not too warmly toned color for anyone with light/medium/dark blonde brows. there is a Dark Blonde color but i would recommend getting Light Blonde as it's not too light at all, my hair is actually naturally dark blonde but dyed auburn right now and it still looks great on me. Dark Blonde would prob be better for someone with light to medium brown hair, as it's always more flattering for your brow pencil to be a bit lighter than your natural brows vs. a bit darker. the pencil itself is very thin, which is nice, i had recently tested out the Prescriptives Groom Stick for Brows and this Define-a-Brow pencil is basically it's low-end sister, AKA the exact same thing for a third of the price. because it's so thin you never have to sharpen it, you just twist it up, almost like a lipstick or a no-sharpen lipliner. this is very convenient and i really appreciate it because sharpening pencils is so annoying and wastes tons of product. the pencil itself is very, very soft, so soft that (like someone said below) you have to twist it up multiple times while doing both of your brows. not really a problem except i can see this pencil being used up extremely quickly thus making it pretty expensive for how often you'd have to repurchase it. since it's soft it blends like a dream and also stays put, looks lovely and very natural, and really doesn't disappoint. the little comb on the end is utter crap though, it doesn't blend the product in at all, you'll def need to use a regular brow brush. i just can't understand why Maybelline would put that stupid Barbie comb on the end of this when it doesn't work and they could have just as easily put on a regular little dense brush or even a mascara spoolie that would have worked so much better! that makes it annoying, because you have to carry around an extra tool to be able to use the product. other than that, it's a great product. i'm torn on whether or not i would buy this again, not because i don't like the product but because i also bought the Wet'n'Wild Kohl Brow-Eyeliner pencil in Taupe 648 for only 99 cents and it's every bit as good for a fraction of the price. if i hadn't found the W'n'W pencil, i would probably buy again. even though it has flaws, it's a really nice product for the price.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2008 7:09:00 PM More reviews by lindy2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this in Light Blonde, hoping for a cheaper alternative to MAC Fling. While the color is somewhat warmer than Fling, it's close enough that I might have considered repurchasing - until I realized something. You wouldn't know by looking at it, but there is much less product in this one. The MAC Crayon at $14 is .09g, while this one cost me $6.99 but is only .05g. (Now I know why that useless comb is on the product end, rather than the cap.) True, you can buy it on sale or use a coupon, but unless it's a BOGO free deal, there's not much difference in price. I think that's rather deceptive, given that it's a drugstore brand. There aren't even any testers to see the colors. I would have liked to compare this to the Dark Blonde shade, but given that I love MAC Fling, there's no reason to buy this again. (The only thing I like better about it is that the bright green packaging stands out in my case and I don't have to dig around looking for it.)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2008 1:17:00 AM More reviews by ivysmom1

I used to use MAC brow pencil in Lingering. But I started using this as it is comparable to MAC. I have been using the dark blonde shade and it is a natural match for me. I cant stand to not have my brows filled in b/c I have to have the shape defined with pencil to see it so I go thru pencils very quickly. Probably one every 4-6 weeks so it was adding up with MAC. Luckily these are cheaper and go on sale often so I can get them B1G1 and stock up. The only complaints are the silly comb; which I use to brush my brows into place but would really prefer a brush to blend. And I wish I could see when Im running out. It sucks to be doing your make up and have one brow done and there is none left for the other side! So Ive learned to keep more than one at a time. Ive bought several of these and will continue to repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2008 2:08:00 PM More reviews by jentalkin2u

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have highlighted/blonde hair and I bought the lightest color pencil they have - I think it's light blonde to blonde. It's a great eyebrow pencil. Goes on silky smooth with a continuous sharp tip. Didn't find a use for the comb on the end, but that's OK. My only gripe is that it lasted me less than a month, therefore I removed one lippie. I would have to turn it up more than once while using, which is probably why I ran out so fast. I don't use a whole lot, either. It just goes quickly. Other than that it's great. Perfect color match - wonderful application. I just wish there was more product for the price I paid (about $7). I will definitely repurchase, though.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2008 7:40:00 PM More reviews by AliceNWonderland

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this eyebrow pencil, it goes on smoothly and is easy to use. I bought this in light brown, which matched my brows perfectly you can also build the color up if you need to. It is alot easier to use than most because it is so thin. I would prefer a brush on the end, instead of the comb but other than that it's great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2008 11:48:00 PM More reviews by RitaPerfect

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Very good drugstore find. It's cheap and you can always buy more at the drugstore if you run out. This brow pencil is slim -- way thinner than I had expected! It doesn't twist back down once you turn it, but I'm very careful so I don't have much of a problem with that. I have this in "Dark Brown." This has a waxy (think crayons) consistency which helps it to stay on longer, but it's not overly waxy and soft like the Wet n Wild Brow and Eye Pencils. The super fine tip is great for exact shaping, as opposed to the soft natural shading that you can get with traditional pencils or brow powder. I suggest using the Define-a-Brow for shading in small patches only, not the entire brow. It is rather pigmented, especially if you press too hard, so make sure to use a very light hand to gently apply. For softening up brows that look too fake or severe, I like to go over them with the brush on the cap of my Rimmel Professional Eyebrow pencil (the old version has softer bristles) or a spoolie brush. I don't use the comb on the other end of the Define-a-Brow at all, unless it's to separate clumped mascara on my lashes.

EDIT: I bought the Define-a-Brow in "Dark Blonde" and it's going to be my new HG brow product! Now that Shu Uemura is no longer going to be sold in the US, I've been trying to find a replacement for their amazing (but way too expensive) Brow Pencil. The little red Maybelline Twin Brow Pencils in "Blonde" have the same hard texture with a shade similar to the Shu Uemura Brow Pencil in "Seal Brown," but they don't offer the same precision and exact shaping like the Define-a-Brow does! I'm so glad that I decided to pick up "Dark Blonde"! If you have black hair like me, you should definitely try using brow pencils in a taupe color, usually labeled for blonde hair. It will look a LOT more natural then using something that's too dark or black. I still have the Define-a-Brow in "Dark Brown", but now that my makeup skills have improved and I know better, I will reserve it strictly for a full-on dramatic makeup look. For everyday use, I will be reaching for "Dark Blonde!"

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2008 2:10:00 PM More reviews by KIDCURRY1942

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Good concept and great color match. I bought the Medium Brown. I like the comb, but I wish it had an eyebrow brush instead like Merle Norman eyebrow pencils. It's too thin a pencil, I like a wider stick. I really don't like that I have to keep turning it several times to get enough product out while I'm applying it. I also don't like that you can't retract it. I don't know if I will buy this again. I may keep looking for something better.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2008 1:15:00 PM More reviews by eyeshadowinrainbows

These are somewhat comparable to MAC Eyebrows Crayons. They are slim, self sharpening and have a nice texture.
I prefer MAC's because the colors are better and the texture is somewhat better.
The bright green packaging of this pencil is hideous (matches nothing in my case) and the little comb thing is useless (except for on lashes, maybe?) but the price is very economical if you if you don't want to spend your money on something that is going to be gone in about two months anyway if you use it everyday!

I bought this in Medium Brown and it is slightly lighter than the color Spiked in MAC's formula, but is about the same tone (neutral).
Ok, I am going up to a 5 lippie rating because after trying a few drugstore brow pencils I found that the shade is very natural and the texture is very smooth and not too waxy!!