October 21, 2014 | 1707 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2005 9:33:00 PM More reviews by sarrah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was using almay's foundation before this, & this is 100x better. The color does STAY. But it doesn't help fight against oily skin. I will be buying this again until i find any better.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2005 10:35:00 AM More reviews by jednak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had been using Mary Kay medium coverage foundation, but it wasn't controlling oil and lasting as long as I wanted, SO I went and got the Revlon Colorstay in Sand Beige and the Colorstay Natural Powder in Light. Let me say, I am in love! The color is a perfect match, the coverage is great, and the powder is not cakey at all. It goes on silky and keeps shine away for hours! The foundation is easy to blend and covers up everthing. I live in South Texas so it's pretty hot and humid, but my make-up still looks great at the end of the day. I'll be using this from now on for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2005 1:17:00 AM More reviews by Cartoonfish

I bought this a few days ago at lunchtime, and tried it ofor 3 days now, this provides almost full coverage that is matte and no shimmery nonsense. the lasting power is excellent, sweat proof, and no touch ups was needed, this is the ultimate must have liquid foundation for those living in hot and humid countries like where i am, the finish is natural, matte and immaculate. i also bought the colorstay natural foundation for days that i need less coverage

rated 2 of 5 on 9/23/2005 6:48:00 AM More reviews by giuliac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It would be a great product if it had more of a color choice. I picked the lightest available and I still turn slightly orange. I can blend it to make it look better, but for the price it isn't really worth it. You have to blend really quickly, and the coverage is really good. Also, it doesn't settle into fine lines which I have noticed with other products. I think that if you can get it to match your face exactly, then go for it, otherwise rather spend the money on something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2005 6:03:00 AM More reviews by littlekitsch

A long time favourite! I've tried every foundation out there, and I stress.. EVERY foundation (from high to low.) I have combo-dry skin that breaks out along my chin and this foundation has never been the cause of pimples, which makes managing them so much easier. I find the Ivory in this range is a beautiful colour match, and that it glides over my skin staying put and looking natural. A brilliant foundation not to be overlooked. Will keep repurchasing!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2005 4:35:00 AM More reviews by verykissable

I have been faithful to Revlon Colorstay Foundation for the past 5 years, I will not use anything else!! It stays on all day long, even through a long sweaty night dancing at the club, it stays exactly as it was!! Very thick though, but light IMO.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2005 11:18:00 PM More reviews by Seclusae2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

DESCRIPTION OF ME Asian with a warm complexion (C3-C4 in MAC) with strong yellow undertones and some peach. Black hair. Very oily skin that is prone to breakouts.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION Long-wearing, maximum coverage liquid foundation with SPF 6. Around $7-$10 US at most drugstores. 1.25 fluid ounces/37 mL.

REVIEW IN SUMMARY If you are looking for a high coverage, long-wearing foundation, Colorstay would make for an excellent candidate. That is why I rated it a four out of five. I took one point off for ease of application (or lack therof). If you are looking for something sheer and would look completely natural in sunlight, this foundation is not for you. However, this foundation would make for an excellent concealer. You get a huge bottle for the price too.

PACKAGE Revlon Colorstay comes in a glass bottle with a screw top. I really have no complaints about it but I can see why people wish the mouth of the bottle is smaller or would prefer that the bottle come with a pump. Since this foundation dries quickly, I think that a pump would clog very easily.

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE Colorstay has a pretty thick and heavy consistency. However, it does not feel greasy.

APPLICATION This is one of the tricky things about this foundation. It is easy to overapply and you have to work quickly before this foundation dries. Once it dries, you will not be able to blend away any mistakes or dab away excess layers. If you are an absolute beginner in foundation application, you need a lot of practice with Colorstay.

It is important to start out with moisturized skin. This helps Colorstay meld with your skin as much as possible and it also gives you more time to work with it before it dries. It also helps spread the foundation into an even layer that is sheerer than if you apply it on unmoisturized skin.

I have had the most success with a dampened foundation wedge. I place a wedge under a faucet then squeeze out the water. This also helps to spread the foundation and acheive a sheerer layer.

Fingers also work but only if you are spot-concealing. If you are applying Colorstay all over the face, it takes too much time. I haven't had much luck with foundation brushes either since Colorstay tends to dry up in the bristles and make them splay out.

COVERAGE Best foundation EVER when it comes to covering everything up! If this is what you are looking for, you may not have to look any further. I've covered up huge fresh pimples, dark circles, areas of redness and old brown-purple acne marks with this.... EVERYTHING. My skin has improved dramatically and so I feel that this foundation is too much for me now. I still use it as a concealer though. It's actually an excellent bargain. You get a huge bottle for the same price as a small concealer tube from the drugstore.

Even though the coverage is heavy, it can still be sheered out using the damp wedge method.

FINISH The finish is invariably matte. It may look satiny when applied to moisturized skin but it will always dry to a matte finish.

STAYING POWER Another high point for this foundation. Colorstay does not budge. It may move around a little bit when I get oily breakthrough but with diligent blotting, I've worn this foundation for more than 12 hours straight. If it is dry, it doesn't rub off on clothing. Truly amazing.

NATURAL? Unfortunately, all of these good points come at a price. You get a long-wearing high coverage foundation but you will also have to sacrifice the natural look. This foundation looks very obvious in sunlight and if you don't apply it just right, it WILL look cakey. The appearance does get worse the longer you wear it and the more oil mixes with the foundation. However, if you have a lot to hide, this could be a small price to pay.

COLOR I use a mix of 6 Medium Beige and 7 True Beige. Medium Beige is too light for me but it is not glaringly pink or peach. True Beige, on the other hand, is too dark and has a bit of an olive tone. I can make a very nice customized color for my skintone at any time of the year.

I have not tried every color in Revlon's range but I would definitely say that it is the best in the drugstore.

OVERALLBest foundation for high coverage and long wear! If you don't have too much to hide, this also makes for an excellent concealer. I do not wear it so much now that my skin has improved but it is still an outstanding product nonetheless. I have repurchased and recommended many times.

ADDED NOTE Colorstay is also the perfect makeup to use when you're just getting over a bad cold or something similar. It covers redness perfectly and it clings to otherwise stubborn skin. It can also resist repeated wipes with tissues. LOVE IT. continued >>

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2005 7:32:00 PM More reviews by brunette94

First, I don't like the packaging: the bottle is not useful: too much foundation run from the bottle, so it is very difficult to have the quantity I want.Then, it is impossible to finish the bottle:Revlon should have put a spatula!
    The result is a little more covering I think but I must admit that the skin stay impeccable all the day long even without a powder!
    But I prefer a lighter foundation, so I won't buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2005 10:37:00 PM More reviews by Liliana_18

this is my first time trying a revlon foundation and SO FAR I LOVE IT!
    -1st of all,im 16 and have very acne prone,combination skin
    -im using this in nude which is just a teeny tiny bit dark for me,but when i blend it well it works out and plus the
    lighter shade would be too light for me.
    -alot of people say this stuff is thick and cakey,which is what i thought too! but its NOT at all!! as long you cleanse
    and moisturize well its fine.
    -i love that it dries fast yet blends very well.it takes just a few min. for me to apply,unlike my covergirl clean
    makeup which was runny and took forever.
    -it IS very long lasting,but the other day at school it was like 90 degrees w/ no air condition,so i was sweating.it
    started to rub off,but not to the point where it was a hot mess.
    -this stuff seems to make my blush last longer-another plus ;)
    -the regular price is almost 15 bucks,but when its on sale the price is even more worth it
    -the packaging is pretty good and theres more than 1 oz in the bottle which is cool
    -it didnt make me as oily as i would be with my CG makeup.one powder touch up is all i need
    -as long as this doesnt break me out its my HG!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2005 6:39:00 PM More reviews by calisurfer688

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was a very mediocre foundation. Still too pink even though they were supposed to be some yellow based foundations. I can see how this can work for some girls, but for an asian like me, not really.