April 18, 2014 | 1757 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Discontinued and Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2005 4:35:00 AM More reviews by verykissable

I have been faithful to Revlon Colorstay Foundation for the past 5 years, I will not use anything else!! It stays on all day long, even through a long sweaty night dancing at the club, it stays exactly as it was!! Very thick though, but light IMO.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2005 11:18:00 PM More reviews by Seclusae2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

DESCRIPTION OF ME Asian with a warm complexion (C3-C4 in MAC) with strong yellow undertones and some peach. Black hair. Very oily skin that is prone to breakouts.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION Long-wearing, maximum coverage liquid foundation with SPF 6. Around $7-$10 US at most drugstores. 1.25 fluid ounces/37 mL.

REVIEW IN SUMMARY If you are looking for a high coverage, long-wearing foundation, Colorstay would make for an excellent candidate. That is why I rated it a four out of five. I took one point off for ease of application (or lack therof). If you are looking for something sheer and would look completely natural in sunlight, this foundation is not for you. However, this foundation would make for an excellent concealer. You get a huge bottle for the price too.

PACKAGE Revlon Colorstay comes in a glass bottle with a screw top. I really have no complaints about it but I can see why people wish the mouth of the bottle is smaller or would prefer that the bottle come with a pump. Since this foundation dries quickly, I think that a pump would clog very easily.

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE Colorstay has a pretty thick and heavy consistency. However, it does not feel greasy.

APPLICATION This is one of the tricky things about this foundation. It is easy to overapply and you have to work quickly before this foundation dries. Once it dries, you will not be able to blend away any mistakes or dab away excess layers. If you are an absolute beginner in foundation application, you need a lot of practice with Colorstay.

It is important to start out with moisturized skin. This helps Colorstay meld with your skin as much as possible and it also gives you more time to work with it before it dries. It also helps spread the foundation into an even layer that is sheerer than if you apply it on unmoisturized skin.

I have had the most success with a dampened foundation wedge. I place a wedge under a faucet then squeeze out the water. This also helps to spread the foundation and acheive a sheerer layer.

Fingers also work but only if you are spot-concealing. If you are applying Colorstay all over the face, it takes too much time. I haven't had much luck with foundation brushes either since Colorstay tends to dry up in the bristles and make them splay out.

COVERAGE Best foundation EVER when it comes to covering everything up! If this is what you are looking for, you may not have to look any further. I've covered up huge fresh pimples, dark circles, areas of redness and old brown-purple acne marks with this.... EVERYTHING. My skin has improved dramatically and so I feel that this foundation is too much for me now. I still use it as a concealer though. It's actually an excellent bargain. You get a huge bottle for the same price as a small concealer tube from the drugstore.

Even though the coverage is heavy, it can still be sheered out using the damp wedge method.

FINISH The finish is invariably matte. It may look satiny when applied to moisturized skin but it will always dry to a matte finish.

STAYING POWER Another high point for this foundation. Colorstay does not budge. It may move around a little bit when I get oily breakthrough but with diligent blotting, I've worn this foundation for more than 12 hours straight. If it is dry, it doesn't rub off on clothing. Truly amazing.

NATURAL? Unfortunately, all of these good points come at a price. You get a long-wearing high coverage foundation but you will also have to sacrifice the natural look. This foundation looks very obvious in sunlight and if you don't apply it just right, it WILL look cakey. The appearance does get worse the longer you wear it and the more oil mixes with the foundation. However, if you have a lot to hide, this could be a small price to pay.

COLOR I use a mix of 6 Medium Beige and 7 True Beige. Medium Beige is too light for me but it is not glaringly pink or peach. True Beige, on the other hand, is too dark and has a bit of an olive tone. I can make a very nice customized color for my skintone at any time of the year.

I have not tried every color in Revlon's range but I would definitely say that it is the best in the drugstore.

OVERALLBest foundation for high coverage and long wear! If you don't have too much to hide, this also makes for an excellent concealer. I do not wear it so much now that my skin has improved but it is still an outstanding product nonetheless. I have repurchased and recommended many times.

ADDED NOTE Colorstay is also the perfect makeup to use when you're just getting over a bad cold or something similar. It covers redness perfectly and it clings to otherwise stubborn skin. It can also resist repeated wipes with tissues. LOVE IT. continued >>

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2005 7:32:00 PM More reviews by brunette94

First, I don't like the packaging: the bottle is not useful: too much foundation run from the bottle, so it is very difficult to have the quantity I want.Then, it is impossible to finish the bottle:Revlon should have put a spatula!
    The result is a little more covering I think but I must admit that the skin stay impeccable all the day long even without a powder!
    But I prefer a lighter foundation, so I won't buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2005 10:37:00 PM More reviews by Liliana_18

this is my first time trying a revlon foundation and SO FAR I LOVE IT!
    -1st of all,im 16 and have very acne prone,combination skin
    -im using this in nude which is just a teeny tiny bit dark for me,but when i blend it well it works out and plus the
    lighter shade would be too light for me.
    -alot of people say this stuff is thick and cakey,which is what i thought too! but its NOT at all!! as long you cleanse
    and moisturize well its fine.
    -i love that it dries fast yet blends very well.it takes just a few min. for me to apply,unlike my covergirl clean
    makeup which was runny and took forever.
    -it IS very long lasting,but the other day at school it was like 90 degrees w/ no air condition,so i was sweating.it
    started to rub off,but not to the point where it was a hot mess.
    -this stuff seems to make my blush last longer-another plus ;)
    -the regular price is almost 15 bucks,but when its on sale the price is even more worth it
    -the packaging is pretty good and theres more than 1 oz in the bottle which is cool
    -it didnt make me as oily as i would be with my CG makeup.one powder touch up is all i need
    -as long as this doesnt break me out its my HG!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2005 6:39:00 PM More reviews by calisurfer688

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was a very mediocre foundation. Still too pink even though they were supposed to be some yellow based foundations. I can see how this can work for some girls, but for an asian like me, not really.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2005 4:48:00 PM More reviews by GORGEOUSCOURTNEY

Revlon Colorstay Foundation (note: NOT the newer version in the slightly taller, slimmer bottle) is FANTASTIC!!! It comes in a 1.25 fl oz. glass bottle that says REVLON COLORSTAY MAKEUP Fond De Teint OIL FREE. The newer version, I believe, is so similar that the two could easily be confused, but the newer version just doesn't wear the same (I think it's for those seeking less coverage). This original is readily available (cheapest, I find, at Ulta Cosmetic store for about $8) and is a must-have beauty item. Flawless skin is the single best thing to have on your side (after that I'd list eyebrows that frame your face well, and mascara, of course) so being able to purchase such an inexpensive foundation that wears ALL day long (even stays put if you cry, sweat, or get caught in the rain) AND that looks beautiful on the skin is unbeatable. This makeup has a vast range of shades and most have a great yellow undertone that makes for a natural finish (not too pink like most cheap foundations). If you cleanse your skin well with a face cleanser (not soap) and follow with a light moisturizer (like Olay or Suave face moisturizer) you can apply this foundation with a makeup sponge, patting it on, THEN blending lightly - and it'll give you a flawless, fabulous finish. Be sure to blend at the jawline and when finished dust with pressed powder so it will set (this makeup says right on the bottle that it "sets in 60 seconds", and it does, so once you apply you cannot go back and add more or touch it up without risking 'caking', so do it and dust it (to ensure even better wear) and go - you're good all day and all night and can sleep in it and wake up looking still 'done'! It's wear is all in the application, so follow these steps and you're sure to love it! Lastly, as with any foundation, match the color to your neck, not your facial skin, since you'll be covering you skin with it (and it has to match the neck once on - if your skin coloring was perfect, you wouldn't be buying foundation anyway, so the point is to cover it and match it to the rest of your skin!). I am 27 years old, I have combination skin with the occasional breakout (as well as mild to moderate rosacea, so redness is always a factor for me), if that helps round out my description of this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2005 4:06:00 PM More reviews by owwlala

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My 40+ skin needs COVERAGE, is oily w/yellow undertones. I've tried everything and was stuck on MAC cuz of the color selection but this foundation is awsome. It stays put, does let some oil thru but not alot so I look natural which is good. I use Sand 04 for my C35 complexion and have not seem any more or less breakouts. MAC is too rich and does cause me acne but I still love the coverage so I put it on over this with a fluffy brush and a lite hand.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2005 9:17:00 AM More reviews by tmpr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

yes, yes, and yes! I would buy this again. I struggled with foundations. I have tried so many I was getting tired and depressed. I wanted a foundation that gave me matte, medium-full coverage that would also control my oily skin. I have been using this for a while (NC35-40, Medium beige in winter, natural tan in summer). I strayed from it because I thought I could find better, what a mistake. I have come to the realization that this is the best foundation for me. The color match is ideal, the coverage is great, no breakouts, and although it does not completely block my oily skin (i don't look greasy now, just a little glowy) I love it. The price is right in my range too, which is perfect. This is HG, and I reserve that status only for tried and true products.
    Bravo!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2005 5:16:00 PM More reviews by taracall10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I just got this foundation a couple days ago and so far I'm in love! It has great coverage and even stays on the full 16 hours it claims! It works great with my combination skin - leaves a nice matte finish and pretty much stays that way all day. I also bought the colorstay pressed powder to go along with it, and I love them both. My skin looks absolutely flawless! The colorstay line has a ton of colors to match every skintone. This is the best drugstore foundation I've ever bought! I would definitley recommend this foundation to anyone with acne-prone or combination skin! Perfect!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2005 12:56:00 PM More reviews by coconut103

This is the best drugstore foundation I have ever tried!!! It is even a little better than my expensive HG department store stuff -- Estee Lauder Ideal Matte. I have oily skin, which frequently jumps to very dry and then back again. Whether its in an oily or dry phase, Colorstay looks great. Very good coverage, blendability, and natural looking shade choices (I picked "Nude" which is a PERFECT match for my skin.) It's decently priced at about $15 (you get alot of product though!), although the glass bottle is kind of a pain. So far, no breakouts yet... I'm very pleased!!