December 22, 2014 | 1722 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

REFORMULATED. Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=153868/ColorStay-Makeup-%2824-hour-formula---2012/2013%29/Revlon/Liquid

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2005 1:39:00 PM More reviews by SouthDakotaPrincess

I'm amazed the bottle didn't break when this stuff fell down from Heaven. It's the only foundation I have ever tried that is worth a dime. It stays put, all day, period. Be warned, however, that it does take practice to apply it correctly. This stuff is thick (spackle is not much of an exaggeration), and it dries fast. It is imperative to use moisturizer before you put this on. I use Neutrogena's Dry Touch sunblock, and it is a perfect base for this to keep it from going on too thick and mask-like. Second, you must apply it to only 1 area of your face at a time and blend before moving on to the next area. It even doubles as a concealer: just use the slightly dried foundation around the rim. The bottle sucks, though: it's hard to get foundation out and it invariably turns into a huge mess after a while. There is a LOT of foundation in there too. Even if you use it everyday, you cannot finish the bottle before it gets too cakey and needs to be replaced (every 6 months or so). Great stuff, though!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2005 3:55:00 PM More reviews by il23

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Update: I really loved the wear and coverage of this foundation and was determined to give it another try. This time I mixed in a very thick, rich moisturizer (The Body Shop Extra Rich Grapeseed Night Cream). The end result was very nice, since the moisturizer does not make me greasy. The foundation looks much much more natural and better but I use the smallest amount possible. It's probably one fingertip fdtn mixed with 2 parts moisturizer. (just to give a rough estimate) Using it this way, the coverage is a bit sheerer but still wears like iron.

Also, touchups throughout the day with powder often looks blotchy and uneven on top of this foundation. This could be a big problem for people with oily skin all over. I have combo skin so I don't use this fdtn on my tzone.

This foundation is definitely not for people with dry skin. It easily cakes and emphasizes dry patches, as well as large pores. That being said, the coverage with this stuff is amazing. I spot conceal with this because my skin is definitely too dry to handle having this fdtn all over my skin. I use a thin layer and blend it, over moisturizer. It stays put throughout my whole day, which is nice. It looks very very good from a distance but definitely fake up close if you use too much, which is not hard to do.

The bottle isn't great. The mouth is too wide to get a good amount of foundation and the glass seems thick, but I wouldn't want to drop this or anything.

The texture feels like paint and there's a slight chemical fragrance. It goes on evenly but sets VERY quickly. This would best suit people with normal to oily skin. Oil control is actually pretty good. It lasts for a little less than half my day with loose powder on top. But this stuff lasts everywhere else for the whole day so I like it.

Price is pretty high for drugstore (12$USD) but this stuff wears like iron so I will definitely keep it around but it's not my HG. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2005 7:56:00 AM More reviews by misscruella16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I loved the coverage that this gave and their neutral shades, I picked buff Beige and in the summer Sand Beige. This lasts a really long time, but it dried out my skin, and made it very red (i have sens. skin) I knew it was this so I stopped using it. I wouldn't buy again because of this, but I gave it a high rating because it is s so good for such a cheap amount, and Im sure I would love it if it didn't dry my skin out! Anyone with oily non-sens. skin would love this fndtn.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2005 2:31:00 AM More reviews by Kahani

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I think after many years of searching I've finally found my HG combination!
This (ColorStay Stay Natural) as my foundation and ColorStay foundation as a concealer make a perfect face.

I'm 23, fair Chinese, and I have very oily, acne-prone, easily-clogged skin. I also live in Malaysia where it's hot and humid, and to top it all off I'm a journalist. So I'm always on the go, oftentimes outside where I get hot and sweaty.

As a foundation I have NO IDEA how to use this product. It doesn't blend, it's chalky, it looks weird when I try to blend and it smells like paint. But I've discovered that it's a miracle as a concealer!

Up till I tried this product, I've been using MAC Studio Concealer. It's a great product, but on my oily skin it slips at the end of the day and it cakes under my eyes making me look old - what's more, it oxidises a little.

ColorStay's Concealer is great, but the tube is tiny, and it also cakes.

The FOUNDATION however is wonderful. Messy, but wonderful. I apply a thin layer with a concealer blush after using Colorstay Stay Natural (as a foundation), and blend it in by patting. If I need more coverage, I dab and pat again. It matches the foundation perfectly, it never slips, it lasts and lasts and it doesn't cake. Amazing.

And not to mention how LONG the bottle is going to last if I use it as a concealer. Talk about value for money.

I do loathe the packaging though. I've learnt to use what's in the cap rather than dipping into the bottle or dabbing it out. But I'm considering getting a smaller glass bottle and decanting this stuff. What was Revlon thinking with this damned jar anyway?

Oh, one thing about this range though to keep your skin clear you have to get it off. Get it ALL off. I use a Deep Cleansing Oil (doesn't matter which one, L'Oreal, Za, Tiss, they're all wonderful) followed by Neutrogena's Deep Clean Scrub. It's a bit more effort, but hey I got what I asked for, and unbudgeable foundation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2005 12:45:00 PM More reviews by Katras

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Color: Buff (which is perfect for my light eurasian skin).

Pro's: Has SPF, has very good lasting power, can hide any pimple, bruise or unsightly with very little product and a nice matte finish.

Con's: Can look chaulky, must work fast or you won't be able to blend (I add a couple drops of liquid luminizer to rid chaulky-ness and add to blending time), only has an SPF of 8, would prefer a pump.

Overall: I'm not really sure if I would buy it again, but I now know that if I want a concealer/ foundation in a bottle i.e - short on money, this is definetly a product I would consider.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/1/2005 2:05:00 PM More reviews by barbie16

This foundation does what it says: it stays put and covers really well. However it is IMPOSSIBLE to blend and sinks into pores, and I'm normally a pro at applying foundation!. It also feels really heavy on the skin and kiond of tacky to touch. The only plus is that the shade Ivory really is pale enough for me, and not a dodgy orange colour like most over companies' palest offerings. Definitely not a re-buy, and for £11 it does not justify it's price tag at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2005 11:01:00 PM More reviews by Mexipina

I am absolutely in love with this foundation! I use it on myself and it covers all my blemishes and broken capillaries completely, stays on all day and has a nice finish. At my best friend's wedding, the makeup artist didn't show up,(terrible, I know) so she turned to me to do her makeup. I used this on her... it made her skin look flawless, stayed on all night, and needless to say, she loved it! I also turned my aunt on to this; she has flaky, very sensitive rosacea skin, and when she has this on, you would never guess that she has a pretty bad case of rosacea. I think there is a also a pretty good color selection, and although it's pricey for a drugstore product, it's worth every penny imho. My only gripe is the packaging...a heavy glass bottle with no pump or anything. I pray Revlon never discontinues this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2005 2:07:00 PM More reviews by lucyrox

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This foundation is a great drugstore buy! I have dry, sensitive, very fair, mature skin with dark spots and red capillaries. I use the lightest color, Ivory, and it blends well and has medium to full coverage. I use Olay Sensitive skin SPF 30 moisturizer underneath this foundation, and that helps the foundation spread on evenly and smoothly. I'm very pleased with the staying power of this foundation, even after blowing my nose, my upper lip still has foundation on it. Since I have mature and dry skin, I only put a thin layer around the lines on my eyes. I recommend using a foundation brush to apply (any) foundation. I use a MAC foundation brush #190 and it works great. The color holds true all day long with no color changes. I wish the glass bottle would change to plastic.
UPDATE: I'm going back to using PC fdtn because this Revlon CS goes on a little too thick for me and doesn't let my skin breathe. I do love the full coverage, but it's too masklike.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2005 4:21:00 AM More reviews by tenderoni

i bought this when i went out of town and i forgot my regular foundation at home so i was in a pinch. the local drugstore had a limited selection. this caused me to breakout. i don't know why, but i didnt toss it. i stuffed it in my drawer 2 months ago. when i cleaned out my makeup collection, i came across this and black sediment settled to the bottom. i know from previous experience that no shaking/mixing would get rid of that black crud. another minus? - heavy glass bottle. definetly not a repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2005 2:49:00 AM More reviews by Kayli

i have super-oily acne-prone skin so i tend to need a good coverage--colorstay does exactly that. i went on a foundation hiatus to join the mineral makeup bandwagon but they're really inconvenient for touch-ups and applications in general...*sigh*...back to liquid foundation. i've been using the stay natural for a while now but i had to stop because of the yucky glitter and oil...but aftr comparing, i'm undecided. colorstay fared much better on the brown paper test though. i miss stay natural because the color buff matched my skin so match. and it made my skin glow so no need for blush. i've had so many compliments on it. i wish the color buff were the same on both but they're not. colorstay is kind of lighter than stay natural but within similar range. also, stay natural is easier to blend but the finish is a natural sheen (not so great for oily skin like myself) but i it gave my skin some dimension so my big round face didn't look so plain and gave off this glow so i didn't need blush at all. should i just forget the glitter and mineral oil? colorstay is harder to blend but i like the matte finish, it's good for my greasy-oily skin...but it makes my skin look flat and my round face have less contours. descisions, DESCISION! what to do? they're suppose to be differing coverage (colorstay is heavier) but both seem to have the same medium coverage--i need moreee!!! *ahem* anyways. i don't mind the packaging at all. and i actually like the fact that it's quick-drying. all i have to do is 1) spread on my acne areas and scarrings with my fingers 2) wait to dry then press lightly with fingers to even out...best of all--NO POWDER!!! and if you made mistake, don't worry...i read these reviews and they make clumping sound like death. "blending it really fast otherwise you cannot go back"...haha, just take a wet wipe people. i want a heavier coverage than this but since most drugstore formula tend to have more pink undertones, i'll have to go high-end for that. i know this is more expensive than most drugstore foundation but it's worth it. colorstay and stay natural is very good. it's very good for its price = would repurchase.