October 21, 2014 | 945 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2005 4:51:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Am in the process of finding a decent (read: lasts all day, is believable/natural-looking, has medium-to-full coverage) concealer and read several reviews below that mentioned using this foundation as a concealer with good results. So, I hied myself to the drugstore and got this in "Sand Beige"--the color looked a little too dark in the bottle, but keeping in mind the warnings about this product, I knew that it would apply lighter. Fortunately, most of the Colorstay shades appeared very neutral (not too yellow or pink or orange) and there is a good range of "beiges" (one of them is usually my Revlon color).

I have not tried to use this as a foundation since I prefer lighter, sheerer coverage for larger areas (usually a tinted moisturizer). I only need spot coverage for a few darkish acne marks/discolorations and around my eyes and nose. This stuff works great for that purpose. Much better than the Max Factor Pan-Stik I was using before. The texture is a creamy liquid, a bit thick (reminds me of Maybelline Everfresh, which I used in my teenage years to cover up zits). It does dry out rather quickly but I actually prefer that as the thicker texture makes it easier to use this as a concealer (unlike the too-slippery feeling of the Pan-Stik). I dot a tiny bit of this on and blend carefully with my fingers. I layer if I need more coverage. It looks pretty good, not cakey (though it can become so if I'm not careful about blending) and covers everything without looking obvious. I always make sure to use this on moisturized skin, though--makes it easier to blend and prevents this from emphasizing tiny flakes, etc.

The packaging is not user- or traveler-friendly as it's a heavy glass bottle. I'd definitely prefer a plastic squeeze tube with a smaller opening. As it is, I just flip the bottle over and then use what's in the cap. There's a slight "foundation" fragrance that I don't mind (I actually sorta enjoy it, oddly enough). I've been using this for the past couple of weeks as a concealer and it has not broken me out or clogged my pores yet--I do make sure to wash my face very thoroughly at night. It's a little pricey for a DG foundation (around 12 USD) but it will last forever the way I'm using it. Would repurchase. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2005 12:57:00 PM More reviews by BluePlanet36

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Applied with a sponge, this foundation has decent coverage that feels lightweight on. Applied by hand, it is hard to blend and too heavy. I do like this foundation though (I have it in Buff, the oil-free version) and will probably repurchase. I wish the packaing were more user-friendly (a pump like the other colorstay) but that is the only fault I have with it. (UPDATE)...Now that I have found ColorStay Natural (which is being discontinued), I use this as a spot concealer and it REALLY sticks. Looks seamless and natural and blends beautifully.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2005 8:30:00 PM More reviews by Beauti24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to like this foundation when I was younger but as I get older my skin is getting dry and I found that it is really hard to apply. It dried out very fast and you have to be quick to apply. It looks a little masky on me and it is quite thick. I prefer a more moisterizer foundation. Also, the smell is aweful. Definitely will not buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2005 6:49:00 AM More reviews by Andriya

I have this foundation in Buff. It's provides medium-full coverage and is pretty waterproof. I can't say that I don't like it but it's smell is so overpowering - it smells of paint so I don't see how I can look at this foundation as being good for your skin. My skin looks a little masky. I'm into full coverage foundations but there are better looking ones than this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2005 1:39:00 PM More reviews by SouthDakotaPrincess

I'm amazed the bottle didn't break when this stuff fell down from Heaven. It's the only foundation I have ever tried that is worth a dime. It stays put, all day, period. Be warned, however, that it does take practice to apply it correctly. This stuff is thick (spackle is not much of an exaggeration), and it dries fast. It is imperative to use moisturizer before you put this on. I use Neutrogena's Dry Touch sunblock, and it is a perfect base for this to keep it from going on too thick and mask-like. Second, you must apply it to only 1 area of your face at a time and blend before moving on to the next area. It even doubles as a concealer: just use the slightly dried foundation around the rim. The bottle sucks, though: it's hard to get foundation out and it invariably turns into a huge mess after a while. There is a LOT of foundation in there too. Even if you use it everyday, you cannot finish the bottle before it gets too cakey and needs to be replaced (every 6 months or so). Great stuff, though!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2005 3:55:00 PM More reviews by il23

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Update: I really loved the wear and coverage of this foundation and was determined to give it another try. This time I mixed in a very thick, rich moisturizer (The Body Shop Extra Rich Grapeseed Night Cream). The end result was very nice, since the moisturizer does not make me greasy. The foundation looks much much more natural and better but I use the smallest amount possible. It's probably one fingertip fdtn mixed with 2 parts moisturizer. (just to give a rough estimate) Using it this way, the coverage is a bit sheerer but still wears like iron.

Also, touchups throughout the day with powder often looks blotchy and uneven on top of this foundation. This could be a big problem for people with oily skin all over. I have combo skin so I don't use this fdtn on my tzone.

This foundation is definitely not for people with dry skin. It easily cakes and emphasizes dry patches, as well as large pores. That being said, the coverage with this stuff is amazing. I spot conceal with this because my skin is definitely too dry to handle having this fdtn all over my skin. I use a thin layer and blend it, over moisturizer. It stays put throughout my whole day, which is nice. It looks very very good from a distance but definitely fake up close if you use too much, which is not hard to do.

The bottle isn't great. The mouth is too wide to get a good amount of foundation and the glass seems thick, but I wouldn't want to drop this or anything.

The texture feels like paint and there's a slight chemical fragrance. It goes on evenly but sets VERY quickly. This would best suit people with normal to oily skin. Oil control is actually pretty good. It lasts for a little less than half my day with loose powder on top. But this stuff lasts everywhere else for the whole day so I like it.

Price is pretty high for drugstore (12$USD) but this stuff wears like iron so I will definitely keep it around but it's not my HG. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2005 7:56:00 AM More reviews by misscruella16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I loved the coverage that this gave and their neutral shades, I picked buff Beige and in the summer Sand Beige. This lasts a really long time, but it dried out my skin, and made it very red (i have sens. skin) I knew it was this so I stopped using it. I wouldn't buy again because of this, but I gave it a high rating because it is s so good for such a cheap amount, and Im sure I would love it if it didn't dry my skin out! Anyone with oily non-sens. skin would love this fndtn.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2005 2:31:00 AM More reviews by Kahani

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I think after many years of searching I've finally found my HG combination!
    This (ColorStay Stay Natural) as my foundation and ColorStay foundation as a concealer make a perfect face.

I'm 23, fair Chinese, and I have very oily, acne-prone, easily-clogged skin. I also live in Malaysia where it's hot and humid, and to top it all off I'm a journalist. So I'm always on the go, oftentimes outside where I get hot and sweaty.

As a foundation I have NO IDEA how to use this product. It doesn't blend, it's chalky, it looks weird when I try to blend and it smells like paint. But I've discovered that it's a miracle as a concealer!

Up till I tried this product, I've been using MAC Studio Concealer. It's a great product, but on my oily skin it slips at the end of the day and it cakes under my eyes making me look old - what's more, it oxidises a little.

ColorStay's Concealer is great, but the tube is tiny, and it also cakes.

The FOUNDATION however is wonderful. Messy, but wonderful. I apply a thin layer with a concealer blush after using Colorstay Stay Natural (as a foundation), and blend it in by patting. If I need more coverage, I dab and pat again. It matches the foundation perfectly, it never slips, it lasts and lasts and it doesn't cake. Amazing.

And not to mention how LONG the bottle is going to last if I use it as a concealer. Talk about value for money.

I do loathe the packaging though. I've learnt to use what's in the cap rather than dipping into the bottle or dabbing it out. But I'm considering getting a smaller glass bottle and decanting this stuff. What was Revlon thinking with this damned jar anyway?

Oh, one thing about this range though to keep your skin clear you have to get it off. Get it ALL off. I use a Deep Cleansing Oil (doesn't matter which one, L'Oreal, Za, Tiss, they're all wonderful) followed by Neutrogena's Deep Clean Scrub. It's a bit more effort, but hey I got what I asked for, and unbudgeable foundation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2005 12:45:00 PM More reviews by Katras

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Color: Buff (which is perfect for my light eurasian skin).

Pro's: Has SPF, has very good lasting power, can hide any pimple, bruise or unsightly with very little product and a nice matte finish.

Con's: Can look chaulky, must work fast or you won't be able to blend (I add a couple drops of liquid luminizer to rid chaulky-ness and add to blending time), only has an SPF of 8, would prefer a pump.

Overall: I'm not really sure if I would buy it again, but I now know that if I want a concealer/ foundation in a bottle i.e - short on money, this is definetly a product I would consider.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/1/2005 2:05:00 PM More reviews by barbie16

This foundation does what it says: it stays put and covers really well. However it is IMPOSSIBLE to blend and sinks into pores, and I'm normally a pro at applying foundation!. It also feels really heavy on the skin and kiond of tacky to touch. The only plus is that the shade Ivory really is pale enough for me, and not a dodgy orange colour like most over companies' palest offerings. Definitely not a re-buy, and for £11 it does not justify it's price tag at all.