December 20, 2014 | 1421 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2011 5:05:00 PM More reviews by Jhereg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my first and only paint pot.
I threw it out today after dealing with it for about a year or so.
I had used MAC paints as shadow base, but wanted something creamier to get some shadows to adhere to them. Shade sticks were OK, but inconsistent in their quality.

What I like about Painterly: It is a perfect color. Just enough color to even out lid color. That's all I like about it.

What I dont like:
Most of this deals with packaging and delivery of the product.

It's dry. It was dry from the moment I began to use it. I stated storing it upside-down as some members suggested which actually helped, but it was still dry which lead to

It's hard to spread smoothly on the lid without tugging and leaving thick/thin spots.

It's a pain to apply. It's too thick to apply easily with a brush, so using my finger is easiest, but it's hard to get out w/o getting gobs stuck under my nails. Yuck.

Not hygienic enough. having to stick a finger or brush into a wet product meant for eyes does not make me feel confident it is clean enough.

I prefer shadesticks (the ones that are creamy) and paints. Paint pots are just a dry sticky mess that I feel is a breeding ground for germs.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2011 11:42:00 AM More reviews by stability17

I really like this product. I would repurchase in a heartbeat.

Because my lids are so oily, I apply Painterly as a nice base to even out the color and make everything stick, and then I apply TFSI or UDPP on top. This makes my shadows NEVER crease.
Without Painterly, they always would.
I don't have a problem with packaging, in fact I like it.
I've had it for a month or so, and it's my first Paint Pot, and I haven't made a dent it.

Go out and get it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2011 11:29:00 AM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this after a MAC counter makeup session where the SA used this on me as an eyeshadow base/primer. I was previously using Elf mineral eye primer and Urban Decay primer, and neither worked as well as I'd hoped. Painterly comes in a glass jar with a black plastic screw-on lid. The product is a very thick cream, almost a clay color. I swipe my fingertip across it and rub it over my lid, it doesn't take much. It evens the skintone and provides a nice, neutral base for my shadow. It does definitely seem to hold my shadow better and keep it from creasing. For the price, you get a large amount of product. I like this and will definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2011 10:50:00 PM More reviews by pisces31919

I wish I could give this a 3.5 or 3.75. I've only tried this a few times (I've been addicted to UDPP since I started wearing makeup). This really is a nice alternative and something different. It holds up just as good in the long run wear of makeup but UDPP has a touch more longevity although my eyeshadow was still going strong at 12 hours but it did start to crease.

*Update: after I finish the pot, I will be going back to UDPP in Eden. Maybe it's the way I apply it, idk, but I feel like I have to use more of it than I do PP.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2011 2:37:00 PM More reviews by jann8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The MA suggested this for me. I could feel the drag as it was applied. Was it too old/dried out? I don't know, but it looked flat and ugly on. Then she applied the shadow next, And it still continued to look bad. I wouldn't have taken it home if it had been a gift. I'm glad I didn't waste money on Painterly.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2011 4:21:00 AM More reviews by iramasson

I have been using it every day ever since buying it a couple of weeks ago. I like how it covers any discoloration of my lids even when applying a very thin layer. Its good to use as a base even though I find that it dulls the colors slightly. It is definitely better that having no base but it still creases slightly by afternoon. I don't regret buying this but I am still on a hunt for a perfect base to prevent creasing. MAC paint in Intitled is next on my list to try. Hopefully that will be a winner.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2011 2:09:00 PM More reviews by cherylf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like this paint pot because it evens out my eyelid so well. I am very pale and you can see all my veins.
My issue is that it does crease on me a bit (and I don't have oily lids). On the plus side, it creases much much less than concealer does, and due to my basically see through eyelid skin, something that provides coverage is necessary for me, so it's good in that respect.
I might try this with a primer underneath just to see if that helps with creasing.
I also wish they made one in a lighter shade, so I could wear it alone. It's not a great colour by itself for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2011 1:20:00 PM More reviews by kstan75

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

i love this stuff! i've had trouble with urban decay's primer due to the packaging & wand, (went on streaky-leaving the shadow colors looking uneven.) this stuff helps the pigment pop, & the eye make up stay in place. i tried it plain as recommended here & it does make the eyes look cleaner & brighter-even if sticking with a natural look. it's only $16, i think it's def worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2011 9:45:00 AM More reviews by Esousa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this stuff. I apply it lightly with a 224 brush over Two Faced Shadow Insurance as a base to pretty much all my looks. i have really oily lids which are also pretty discolored. Painterly helps keep the eyeshadow in place while provinding a perfect blank canvas for eyeshadow application. I've had mine for almost a year and it hasn't dried out (I always make sure that the lid is screwed on tightly, but i kinda wish thhey made the packaging air tight...). I also thing you get a huge amount of product for the price and when it ends I will buy again for sure.
EDIT: I realized that this dulls my eyeshadows just a bit

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2011 9:18:00 PM More reviews by nmhidi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was my first ever paint pot and I highly recommend it! This is not only a great eyeshadow base, but it is also so close to my skin tone. because of this, on days where I don't want to look like I am wearing makeup I put this all over the lid and up to my brow bone then set it with brule and throw on a little mascara. It gives me a nice "fresh-faced" look with out a lot of effort!