L'Oreal Feria Haircolor

2.9

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

Well I think so for now...the 5 stars and re-purchase, although a re-purchase just might be another shade. Just did Expresso to match my natural roots color and blend with "apricot" over-colored and highlighted hair. I did not know what to expect. Read the reviews after the fact. ( Entertained myself while waiting for the 25 minutes to pass.) I did not get any of the intense drying, even while in the rinse stage. Upon towel drying and before the conditioning stage, it just did not feel as dry as some other boxed colors I've used. Of course, the conditioner it came with made it very silky and shiney. I have been using an organic shampoo and conditioner for the last year so maybe that helped. We'll see after a few days or weeks. One thing I'm a tad confused about is the number of reviews stating that this does not last well at all. That made me feel safe...just in case it was a disaster, I thought it would be gone soon so what the heck. Then I ran across a professional review who said that this stuff would NOT even bleach out. Time will tell. For a natural look I could not expect more and this is a very dark color on top of a blonde/gold/orangey mix of shades with a dark root stripe down the middle. Considering all the blonde/gold underneath I thought it might turn out a bit lighter than shown. It all looks even at this point but not flat and exactly as shown on the box. A dark coffee brown. Covered the yucky dull "apricot" amazingly well. Will update if any drastic changes in the above.

on 5/2/2006 12:30:00 AM

I haven't been overly thrilled with Feria as a whole product.
For years though i had dyed my hair Cardinal - a very bright red.
eventually my hair wouldn't take the colour any more.
so when i used another loreal product to dye it brown.
it turned black and the bottle had exploded in my trash can.
I had called the company and they refunded me,
and offered to pay for my hair to be fixed professionally!
so if you do have a problem, DO CALL THE HOTLINE.

ive never had any problems with dryness, mabe my hair
is just very resiliant. but the only complaint is from the
years i dyed my hair red - my hair seems to now have
a permenate red cast to it , that i cannot seem to get
rid of.

on 4/28/2006 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Would I buy this agin? No, No, NOOOO!!! I used this on virgin hair (naturally medium brown with lots of red highlights) to color some greys. I used French Roast and it turned my hair MAROON! I looked like a clown. And I was not lucky enough to have it fade in a few days. It stayed maroon for a week until I finally had to use a box of L'oreal Preference in a dark ash brown to cover it. Just awful, nasty stuff. Many thumbs down.

on 3/24/2006 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I colored my hair back in mid-February (successfully) with L'Oreal Colore Experte in Chocolate Macaroon. Already tried of the highlights, and after getting a new haircut 2 days ago, I decided to color last night with Feria in French Roast.

No problems at all except my scalp started to sting. It did stop by the time I finished applying the dye. My hair isn't dry, which seems to be a common complaint. Also not orange, or one dimensional, dull, flat, fake looking color.

I would definitely use it again.

I think I got this is Midnight Black? It was the blue-black one on the comercial.
My hair didn't turn out great like the commercial, but it still looked pretty black.
But then my hair color faded within a week. And by week two, it was completely gone.
(I even used a L'Oreal shampoo+conditioner for colored hair too)
What's the point of calling this a permanent hair color?
Total crap. Will never buy again.

on 3/16/2006 2:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I've used this in Starry Night, a bright black according to the box, twice now. The first time was well over a year ago when I was sick of my dull bleached hair and wanted it back to black again, but darker and shinier. My hair actually came out exactly like the model's hair on the box. But it completely faded within a week, only because my hair was bleached. And now over a week ago I dyed it this color again. At first it was dull, but now my hair has a little of the shine that you see on the box. Anyhow, it's better than another black dye I've used in the past that just left my hair dull matte. I've also used this in Underground Brown. I was shocked that it actually lifted my hair to the actual light brown on the box. It did say that it was especially made for those with dark hair. So far I think Feria is pretty good.

on 3/15/2006 1:29:00 AM

i hadn't dyed my hair in YEARS but one day on an impulse, decided that now that my hair was all grown out into sexy long locks, i should do something to pop the color or something-- so i picked up Feria Midnight Ruby. Close to my own shade, but with a little sumfin' sumfin' to catch the eye. Fine. Worked well, was very satisfied with the results. Loved it, in fact. Until i realized what damage it had done to my normally extremely healthy hair!

my split ends are out of control! and i've been trimming, too!

i was noticing how the ends of my hair felt dry and strawlike again (i'd trimmed my hair about a week and a half ago), and i was like, "WTF" and started snapping individual hairs at different lengths-- NONE of the ones i tried had much stretch in them at all, and they all snapped really, really easily. even most of the way up the shaft. this is *unheard of* for me.

i'm fucking bummed. what have i done to my strong, elastic hair? i've grown it out after much frustration, only to feel like maybe i should chop it all off and start over again. thumbs way, way down.

on 3/5/2006 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I've coloured my hair with Feria a handful of times, and although the colour selection is fantastic, it leaves my hair feeling and looking like straw. It's a shame this product is so drying on my hair since Feria has the best colour selection out there.

on 3/4/2006 10:29:00 PM

I buy this product in Black Leather and it really is a great black, my favorite out of all the ones Ive tried so far. The part that kinda bugs me, is by the end of 4 weeks, my hair has brown/red/purple tint to it from past dyes, like it has faded even though it should be permanent, but it looks okay so I dont mind too much. Id definently recommend for someone looking for just a regular, dark black, not the soft or shiny type.

I love this and I hate it!!! I tried Feria when it first came out years ago. It was in the Champagne Cocktail shade. Granted, I applied it wrong using the whole head method rather than root touch up like I should have (I was new at coloring at home and didn't think it'd matter, lol). I hated it then.

Well, now it's several years later and I have gradually gone much darker (I'm a natural dark blonde). I tried 100% from Garnier, and have used salon professional colors from Redeken and Goldwell, as well as Preference, and spent hundreds in salons. I can HONESTLY say that this gives you STUNNING color. I have used French Roast and also tried Espresso. It is silky, luxurious, and I just love this. For 9 bucks, it looks like I have spent hundreds in the salon again. I have shimmering, radiant color that is indeed multi-faceted. THOSE ARE THE PROS........

Now for the con--this euphoria from having GORGEOUS color that looks like you spent a fortune DOESN'T LAST more than 2 weeks and that is with washing it with color safe shampoos and conditioners (NOT everyday either). It just fades to a weird brassy shade.

The cons outweight the pros...Just buy some Colorsilk and add your own highlights and lowlights if you want to...otherwise you'll fry your hair using Feria every couple weeks.