November 28, 2014 | 1826 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2012 4:52:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

I had this for over 2 years, despite its hefty price, I believed it was $150.
It doesn't hurt, but did't make any difference to my skin, total waste of money.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2012 4:41:00 PM More reviews by basmah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I waited about 2 months to write this review, so I could give a more thorough review of the effect the Clarisonic has on my skin. I had been lusting after this product for years, basically after I first saw it on youtube. However, it is ridiculously expensive and it isn´t available in my country and I was very hesitant to order online. However, about 2 months ago I took the plunge and purchased the Clarisonic Mia. It came with the sensitive brush head. I was a bit nervous. I have very sensitive skin and slight rosacea and broken capillaries, so I was worried that the Clarisonic might worsen these problems. Luckily, it didn´t. I use my Clarisonic once a day in the evening. I remove my make up first (either with Bioderma Sensibio or with MAC Cleanse off oil), and I then apply a Biodermal cleansing foam for sensitive skin all over my face, massage it in a little bit, wet my Clarisonic and use it all over my face for a minute. It cleanses my skin incredibly well and makes my skin feel extremely smooth. I didn't really notice a difference in the texture of my skin until I stopped using the Clarisonic for a few days. My skin seemed a bit rougher and more dull. I already use chemical exfoliants daily (Avčne Cleanance K), as well as a product with retinaldehyde (Avčne Triacneal) and I feel that the Clarisonic enables these products to penetrate deeper into my skin, making them more effective. My skin is definitely softer, brighter, more even toned and clearer (although I didn't have any major skin problems to begin with). I don't think that this is solely due to the Clarisonic. I think that the Clarisonic is an incredibly effective deep cleansing tool, which means that other products can do their work better. I don't think it's a miracle worker in itself, but the Clarisonic in combination with good skincare products can make a big difference to your skin.

I do want to discuss the price though. If you want to buy this product here in the Netherlands, you can buy it on a Dutch website, or you can buy it from the UK (I wouldn't personally recommend ordering in the US, because of the custom duties etc). In both cases you will end up paying around 150 euros (although the Dutch website has lowered the price of the Mia, as there is now a Mia 2). That in itself is very expensive and I do think that the Clarisonic is insanely overpriced. I realize that it is very different from its competitors in that it doesn't rotate, but it kind of vibrates and this is exactly why I decided to buy the original. But seriously, 150 euros? That's almost 197 USD! For a vibrating face brush! I feel that there is no reason why this should cost this much, or why it should cost more than 100 euros in the first place. But that's not all, because you constantly have to repurchase the brush heads. I've had mine for 2 months now, and it's definitely getting less soft, so I will buy a new brush head in a few weeks. One brush head costs 19.95 euros, or you can buy 2 for 29.95 euros. Still, that's a lot of money as well, 60 euros a year.So yeah, the price bugs me and I really think it's overpriced, both the device itself, as the brush heads.

That being said, I really like my Clarisonic and I do think that it has made a difference to my skin. I find those rotating brushes way too harsh on my skin, but the Clarisonic doesn't aggravate my sensitive skin at all. So yes, I would repurchase.

Edit 13/05/2013: I've had the Clarisonic for over a year now and I'm no longer as enthusiastic as before. Yes, it is still a nice addition to my skincare arsenal, but it is by no means a necessary addition. In fact, it is one I hardly ever used. I have started using my PC exfoliants again and I hardly ever feel that I need a physical exfoliant now. I still use my Clarisonic every once in awhile, but it is no longer a staple in my skincare routine and I don't miss it. The one thing I really started to dislike was replacing the brush heads. They're so expensive! If they weren't so expensive, I might use my Clarisonic more often, but I just don't feel like repurchasing them anymore.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2012 3:03:00 PM More reviews by ablarsen29

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have wanted a clarisonic forever so I finally got one for my birthday! At first I loved it, super clean and the softest skin ever! But after a couple of weeks I started to break out really bad, in places I don't usually break out, like my cheeks. Also my pores started getting huuuuge all around my cheeks, which I don't usually have! When applying foundation I could see it getting stuck in my pores! And yes I know your skin has a "purging" period while using this, so I continued to use.......but after a couple months I just couldn't stand it and stopped using it. I didnt want to admit that it was the clarisonic that was making my skin so bad cause I have wanted it for Soo long! Well I took it back and my poor skin, pores and capillaries are still on the mend!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2012 5:27:00 PM More reviews by gingercurls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wanted this to work for me, but it didn't. My skin is sensitive and I got broken capillaries and breakouts from using this product. I used it for about six months before I gave up and returned it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2012 5:33:00 PM More reviews by 1simplebeauty

I just started using the Clarisonic Mia for the last 4 weeks. It has done an amazing job at getting my skin squeaky clean. I have problematic skin and after the first couple of uses I noticed a couple of small tiny dot blemishes appear. HOWEVER, after treating those newly formed blemishes with my clindamycin/BP mix they went away quicker. I also had a couple of cystic acne marks that lasted about a couple months (not kidding!) within a week of using this brush - I am happy to report that those nasty (might as well have been beauty moles!!!) have subsided and are down to that ugly reddish mark that will take some time to go away. At least concealer can hide it.
The charger is different - magnetic. My first time seeing that. The timer is helpful. I use sensitive brushes and have used it twice a day when first starting and now have dropped to just at bedtime when i apply my more potent prescriptions and/or repair serums. So far, so good! Great investment! Like many, even Mia's price tag shocked me. But honestly my cleanser goes a long way and my moisturizers and 'script meds have been absorbing better. DO IT! @1simplebeauty

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2012 8:57:00 AM More reviews by Michelle219

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using my Mia for years. Not sure if it gives results that would be any better than using a wash cloth or scrub. It's really hard to judge if it works or not, I would have to compare how my skin would look if I had never purchased this to what it looks like now to really know. I like to think it does since daily exfoliation is recommended, the vibration massages my facial muscles increasing blood flood, and the vibrations supposedly help clear debris out of my pores too. I do like using it though and will keep using it but I doubt I would purchase another one if it broke it's just too expensive.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2012 1:40:00 PM More reviews by Kooba

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Great product! Skin feels super soft and clean after using it. After using it for awhile, I have noticed my skins overall texture to have changed for the better. Smoother, and the dry patches have disappeared. Took off one lippie because it is quite expensive. Other brands have been coming out with less expensive versions, however, I have talked to friends who have other models and do not like them.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 11:57:00 PM More reviews by DiAni

My boyfriend bought me this with a sensitive brush head for Christmas so I have been using this for about three months. Personally if it was me I would never buy such a godawful expensive thing .
- Before using Clarisonic Mia: I have light/medium yellow undertone Asian skin (NC 25), pretty clear but uneven, dull and sensitive. Occasional blemishes happen only when I disassociate monthly. Skin is annoying dry around nose and mouth while oily pretty much else where, also there are numerous blackheads on my nose, clogged pores between eyebrows and chin.
- After using Clarisonic Mia: I changed my acne face wash into Cetaphil when I started using this and did not experience any purging breakouts. My skin texture has improved drastically after three months: the pores on my cheeks are smaller and less noticeable, and my skin is much much softer and smoother now (which makes foundation goes on more smoothly). Uneven skin tone has lessened but not much and dry patches are still here. I have blackheads and clogged pores on my chin and nose, but instead of increasing in numbers, they kinda stay the same and easier to extract and eliminate. Also, I haven't had a pimple since using this, even when it's that time of the month. Oh and I love this on days when I wear foundation because it takes off everything (I use makeup remover to take off my e/s and lip products before hand). This is also nice to for lip exfoliating, I just run this across my lips for like 5 seconds.
On the negative side, the brush feels very abrasive on my cheeks and so I am hesitant to buy this for my teenager brother since he has breaks out very often and this may worsen it. I will buy the delicate brush head to see if there is any difference. As of now I have hit a plateau of sort and I don't see any dramatic change anymore, but it's very nice to have my skin stays as it is right now.
- I wash my brush head with antibacteria soap and warm water every week, air drying the brush head and the cap after every use and store it in a dry place.
- To be honest I was expecting model perfect skin after reading reviews about Clarisonic Mia from MUA, but then I realize that kind of skin only exists in Photoshop land and Clarisonic is damn amazing in its own right. I think it is a very worthy product and can replace many creams and serums. Do buy this as a good place like Sephora so you can return if you don't like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 2:51:00 PM More reviews by RobynLeigh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product for four days. That's it -- just four days, and I can already see a big difference in my skin. In fact, it's so noticeable my husband asked me this morning why I had makeup on at 7 a.m., and when I told him I wasn't wearing any, he didn't believe me at first. My teenage sons even commented on how nice my skin looks. My complexion is more even and brighter. This is a miracle product. So glad I finally gave into the temptation and bought this!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Lojona

I can only imagine the negative reviews are from people who aren't using this product properly. I'm 40 and have slightly oily skin. I use the Mia with my PCA Facial Wash in the evening to remove my makeup and clean my face. Here is the trick: Only gently place the bristles on your face. DO NOT PUSH the bristles against your skin. Run the Clarisonic over your entire face until it shuts off and THAT'S IT. Then, rinse your face and follow with your toner. I do this every night and I can tell you my skin is completely cleaned, soft and in the best shape it's been in for years. I think people push the bristles into their face, causing scratches and damage to their skin. The only negative I can say is that you need to use about twice as much face cleaner than when you simply wash with your hands. The idea is to have enough product to work over your skin so it's not just wet bristles. I love my Clarisonic.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No