Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Microfinish Powder

3.8

100% silica

on 7/24/2010 3:21:00 PM

I considered purchasing the generic silica micropheres from bulk sellers, but I decided against it. It's important to make sure that the products you use on your face are pure. When you buy a product at a lower price point, it's possible someone took a shortcut somewhere or used a questionable source to make the price affordable. Since I had read some negative comments about the quality of the bulk sellers' product, I thought it would be safer to stick with a company that has produced makeup for years.

That being said, I'm happy enough with the effect of the product to not be too upset about the extensive mark-up price. A lot of the finishing powders I have tried that get rid of shine (Mineral Veil, LM) have broken me out. This one hasn't and it really works without making my face tight or itchy.

I think you have to use the right makeup brush for this to work. I first used what I believe is a blush brush and then, a tiny kabuki brush that came with Sephora's free BE foundation offer. In both cases, my face became quite oily and shiny. I didn't have success with this powder until I used my Clinique brush with it and really dusted the product into my face.

if you're break-out prone and react poorly to powders with talc or corn starch, this may be a good one to try.

on 7/21/2010 6:46:00 PM

Does not compare to my Cle De Peau loose powder.

on 7/21/2010 4:01:00 AM

This stuff is great as a finishing powder. It gives a soft focus on the face with just a little amount. Also, it is so finely milled and it gives a SUPER soft feel to the touch. I love this on top of my Nars Sheer Glow foundation. :)

on 7/14/2010 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I had a sample of it before and back then it was just okay... I think I was using the wrong brush. I used the Too Faced retractable "teddy bear hair... or whatever" brush. It was a nice brush but not right for this powder. Well at least IME... I bought the Sephora bronzer brush, the one I've been wanting forever, and it worked great with it! The jar will probably last me forever... I only needed a little to set my foundation and my pores look invisible. I'm wearing it with MUFE Face and Body Liquid Foundation. And it really does work with any skintone. Color reference: I'm a DDD (NW45/C7). I would repurchase if I ever run out. One jar will last years at least... This is a HG powder for me!

on 7/12/2010 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I gave this a try since its a best seller product at sephora but it just didn't work for me. I tried it over my MUFE HD foundation...I used just a little, applying with a kabuki brush but it just make my face look so flat and dimensionless. It also leaves a white cast on my face no matter how little I tried to use. I notice that you loose so much powder when you open up the jar, and when you swirl your brush in the cap b/c the powder is so fine that it just flies up into the air easily. Considering how small the jar is for the price, I wouldn't want to loose a spec of the powder. In the end, I had to return the powder...maybe it wouldn't cast a white shadow on someone with fairer skin than my summer NC40 skin....

on 7/10/2010 8:58:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Finally bit the bullet and bought this. Love the product but I go through it so fast I wish it was cheaper. I think I will buy the silica from Coastal Scents next time and use my MUFE container....my clients won't know the difference :)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I am not crazy about the packaging, its too small for my NARS Botan kabuki brush, but I still use it, I just pour some out onto a dish and use it this way, like for my foundation/ concelear. But the finishing is great, it gives a balance tone, look, and coverage. Also, this powder leaves my skin smooth and silky, I will definitely get this product again if it is out, I have it for 4 months and still has more than half. Money well spend

on 7/8/2010 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This powder does everything you need a powder to do...sets your makeup, keeps you oil free, smooths everything out and lasts your entire day. I like to put some in the cap and swirl a kabuki brush in it a la bare minerals. The only negative thing I can say about this is getting the last little bit of powder out when it's towards the end is difficult.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

great setting powder when i have enough coverage and just need a powder to naturalize the look of my foundation. i like using it with a very fluffy powder brush to apply a light layer.

I purchased this a while back and used it for a few days.. it's great to set your makeup because it doesn't give your that white ghostly look like other "translucent" powders. However, in Canada at Sephora, this is $35 bucks. Pretty expensive.. So, after a few days, I purchased Silica from CS, and like it 10 times better. This HD powder is good, but you can buy the same product from other places for a better price. Would not buy again.

Video Reviews & Tutorials