Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Microfinish Powder

3.8

100% silica

on 7/10/2010 8:58:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Finally bit the bullet and bought this. Love the product but I go through it so fast I wish it was cheaper. I think I will buy the silica from Coastal Scents next time and use my MUFE container....my clients won't know the difference :)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I am not crazy about the packaging, its too small for my NARS Botan kabuki brush, but I still use it, I just pour some out onto a dish and use it this way, like for my foundation/ concelear. But the finishing is great, it gives a balance tone, look, and coverage. Also, this powder leaves my skin smooth and silky, I will definitely get this product again if it is out, I have it for 4 months and still has more than half. Money well spend

on 7/8/2010 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This powder does everything you need a powder to do...sets your makeup, keeps you oil free, smooths everything out and lasts your entire day. I like to put some in the cap and swirl a kabuki brush in it a la bare minerals. The only negative thing I can say about this is getting the last little bit of powder out when it's towards the end is difficult.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

great setting powder when i have enough coverage and just need a powder to naturalize the look of my foundation. i like using it with a very fluffy powder brush to apply a light layer.

I purchased this a while back and used it for a few days.. it's great to set your makeup because it doesn't give your that white ghostly look like other "translucent" powders. However, in Canada at Sephora, this is $35 bucks. Pretty expensive.. So, after a few days, I purchased Silica from CS, and like it 10 times better. This HD powder is good, but you can buy the same product from other places for a better price. Would not buy again.

Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder Review: http://hdpowder.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/hd-makeup-powder/

on 6/25/2010 11:40:00 AM

At first I didn't like this powder, I used it with the kabuki brush and I didn't like the look (I think too white). Then I went back to Sephora and the salesperson showed me how to tap a little bit onto a kleenex and then using a large face brush, pick up the product from the kleenex and sweep it all over the face. Much better. I'm now loving the product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

What a gorgeous powder. It's huge reputation is pretty well-deserved.
OK, to start off - yes, you can buy a very similar powder made out of the same stuff for substantially less from discount sites. I have chosen to get the real thing for three reasons: 1.) mine came in a set with other things I wanted (score!) 2.) I prefer to buy from brands that I know and trust 3.) I've heard this is more finely milled than the other, and that's quite important to me.
I absolutely don't fault anyone who chooses to try the cheaper alternative instead - go for it! However, I won't knock down my overall rating on account of price - that's what the price rating is for ... and I don't find the price to be ridiculous - expensive, yes, but not 'what a horrible rip-off' expensive.

Prior to getting this powder, I was quite happy with my Laura Mercier powders. I used her translucent powder for all-over makeup setting, and I used her secret brightening powder for under-eye setting, when I could be bothered to reach for a second product. I still think they're both great products, and I still use both of them.
However, this MUFE HD powder has a few things going for it that neither of the others have:

It's supernaturally, amazingly, this-must-be-witchcraft soft to the touch. When applied to skin, it makes your skin feel like it's made of silk. The only other thing I've tried that makes skin feel this soft is the Hourglass primer!

This powder really is translucent, like completely clear. I have seen it used even on people of very dark skin, and it doesn't add any whiteness or ashy tones. On my fair skin, this is less important, but it's good to know it doesn't add any white-cast or weird reflections for photos, and that it's not going to wash me out, or alter the color of my foundation or blush etc.

The MUFE HD powder is better at keeping oil at bay than other powders I've tried. It leaves a very dry touch to the skin, but doesn't over-emphasize any dry patches visually. Because it keeps my skin more oil-free for longer, I absolutely love this powder for summer, or anytime when I want my makeup to last a long time, and not need a touch-up to deal with oil or sweat. It's not *actually* magic, it can't stop you from sweating buckets, but it does make a difference, especially to the longevity of your makeup, not letting it just melt off as easily on a really hot day.
Because of this, I love this powder best for the warmer months, and I tend to revert to my Laura Mercier translucent powder for winter when my skin is quite dry, and I don't want to add anything that feels drying to it.

This powder works just as well for setting under-eye concealer as it does on the rest of the face. My two tips to make sure it sets under-eye concealer perfectly first to smooth your under-eye concealer immediately before applying powder to make sure it hasn't settled into any lines. Do this even if it doesn't look like it has, just to make sure. Then when you do set with this powder, use it sparingly. You're not trying to coat on a bunch of it, you're just trying to get the thinnest possible but still even application. The light application goes for the rest of the face as well. The temptation can be to use more (if a little is good, lots must be GREAT!) but that's not the way to make it look the best and the most natural. For my Laura Mercier powder, for all over the face, I prefer the powder puff application (fold and roll, pressing powder into the skin). For this MUFE HD powder, I prefer to use a large fluffy brush. I pick up a tiny bit of powder, tap off any excess, swirl the brush in the cap to even the powder through the brush, and then first lightly sweep, then gently and briefly buff it into the skin with light circular motions. Finish with gentle up and down motions on the cheeks to make sure any tiny hairs are lifted free, and then lay down flat. If you have oily skin, or, for example, an oily t-zone like I do, using a bit more powder in those areas is fine, but you don't want to use more powder than necessary anywhere that's dry or normal.

on 6/24/2010 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I absolutely love this powder! I noticed alot of reviewers commenting on how this leaves a white film on their face but I don't get that at all with this product! The trick is to dab your brush (i use a small powder brush) into the pot (I take the plastic cover off completely then put it back on when Im done. no point in using it like a salt shaker!) then brush it all over your foundation until any whiteness is gone. It will leave a very matte smooth finish..which looks incredible! Then I will apply bronzer and/or blush over that. The end result is a very clean, neat, oil-free finish! I will buy this again and again!

PROS: Filled in pores well. Minimized flaws. Didn't really age my wrinkled skin like any other powder does. Felt so good on skin. Controls oil well (maybe too well?....can be bit too dry for my dry spots.)

CONS: See above regarding my dry spots. You better like a matte look. Quite expensive (Other reviewers have said that TFB Trading or Coastal Scents make a silica powder that is much cheaper, but there is a difference in the size of the particles. I don't think that would matter, but I'll put that info. at the bottom of this review.) If you layer too much, you can get a definite white cast, especially in pix, so I suggest using a soft brush rather than a kabuki so that less will deposit on your skin. I used very little, but regardless, I still ended up a teensy bit whiter. Will probably really affect people with skin darker than mine. I'm a NC15. Too much comes out into the cap during storage, etc.

APPLICATION TIPS: MUFE recommends a soft kabuki for this of theirs, which is about $35. There is a Too-Faced flatbuki brush, which is a lot less expensive and has an even softer application (not too much deposit on skin, which I think is better anyway with this powder.)

ALTERNATES: Coastal Scents has a much cheaper version but you have to get your own container and transfer. E.L.F. has a dupe that's widely loved here.

Video Reviews & Tutorials