December 18, 2014 | 1877 users online

Loose Powders - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Microfinish Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2010 4:04:00 AM More reviews by loveisblind1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm on my second purchase of this product. After trying many powders to cope with my oily skin yet not make me look cakey or settle into my pores, I came across this product at a Sephora. The makeup ladies pointed me to this powder. I was a little skeptical at first because I haven't used translucent or white powder before. I tried searching for another powder after my first powder was done but after not being pleased with other powders I came back to this.

The look: It does give a nice, soft, diffused, and matte finish. If you use too much, obviously it cake give off a whitish appearance. Personally, although I have oily skin, I prefer a more dewy or glowy look. I compensate by putting a shimmer highlighter on my cheekbones. I have VERY oily skin. My skin is an untapped resource of natural oil. lol. I get oily within a couple of hours and extremely oil within 6-8 hours. The powder did help a little but not as much as I hoped. If I put my makeup on at 8 AM, then my skin will start to get slight oily at noon. It puts off the oil for a couple hours I suppose than normal.

Uses: When I blot off oil with blotting sheets and touch up my makeup, I re-set my makeup with this powder. It does a good job of not looking cakey like other touchup powders. I use it to set my makeup. I also apply a little bit under my bangs and near the roots by my forehead to prevent them from looking greasy which they tend to go that way later in the day.

Price: $30 + tax. Standard price for Sephora powders but it is a slightly small package. Lasted me a good while as I didn't use too much.

Packaging: One of my complaints with it is the flimsy lid. It's ok.

Conclusion: Good powder. Definitely a safe bet and always pleases. If you are into a matte, soft look, this is the perfect powder for you! Doesn't settles into pores or lines like other powders. Only ok with oil control.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/17/2010 5:55:00 PM More reviews by nicolejonasrose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I kept hearing how great this was so I decided to get a sample from Sephora. Okay, I put it on with foundation brush over my liquid foundation (Lorac) and looked too thick and made my face extremely light. I looked like a ghost. I then switched brushes and used a fibre brush and I ended up getting random lighter spots on my face. I try to even everything out on my face but then I'd have to keep reapply the powder until my face is almost completely white.
Another thing is that when I take pictures with friends with the flash on, you can see all the nasty white powdery blotches on my face from the powder. I don't know if its just me or what... Maybe i'm applying it wrong.
Anyway, I would only recommend this because it keeps your foundation dry.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/16/2010 2:45:00 AM More reviews by AndieHeartsMAC

This is just an "okay" powder. It works fine to set foundation, but I don't think it is worth even half the hype.

This powder is pure silica and is very finely milled and silky feeling. What is simply rediculous is that you can get nearly a pound of the stuff for less from makeup ingredient suppliers like Coastal Scents. It is certianly not worth the $30 MUFE charges for the same thing in a jar.

This powder applies smoothly, but it isn't totally transparent. I am light (NC20) and I found it easy to apply "too much" and end up with a powder-y white cast. Even when I use a tiny amount I find that I have a very powdery appearance. This may be the "soft focus" effect, but to me it just looks powder-y.

I thought this powder did nothing for oil control, and I don't really believe that it made my foundation last any longer as I use a long lasting foundation to begin with. I had less oil on my face at the end of the day with my MAC MSF than with the MUFE.

While this powder isn't terrible, and I will likely continue to use it, I think there are better powders out there. If you are someone who loves silica powders, you can get the same thing for much much cheaper elsewhere.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2010 4:34:00 PM More reviews by blatantdream

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have to say I love this powder! It goes on smoothly and makes my face feel so soft! It definitely softens out you face for photos, which makes it look nice on camera. It mattifies so I'm not shiny and doesn't cake up or give me a white cast.

When I first started using this I put on a bit too much and I looked ghostly. I've since come to realize that a little goes a long way. The amount doesn't even show up on my brush, but it's there! When I start noticing white powder on my brush that is when I know I have picked up too much product.

When I use this to set my foundation it gets rid of that nasty sticky feeling liquid foundation gives you. But it doesn't leave a caked on mess that other powders do when you use it to set foundation. The best use I have found for it is to set my under eye concealer. It keeps my concealer from budging and it's just wonderful!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2010 4:09:00 PM More reviews by silkybuns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been wearing makeup for the past 20 years and this is the ONLY loose powder that does not : cake on me, clog my pores or irritate my skin. Totally translucent on my NC35 (summer) skin. Those who have said that it gives them look white are probably using too much of it, all you need is the tyniest bit. I buy the smallest jar available ($17 CAD) and it lasts forever. The only thing I do not like about this powder is the packaging, my small jar does not have a sifter, so I need to pour some onto the lid to make sure I don't get too much powder on my brush. Definite HG for me, will keep buying over and over.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2010 9:05:00 AM More reviews by Groggy

Because this was Allure's top pick for loose powder in 2009, I expected it to be fantastic. I think it's okay. I didn't have any problems with it being too white on my skin (I'm a NC/NW 15), but you can barely tell it's there, which is my problem.

My foundation just isn't enough to cover any imperfections, so I like my powder to add a little more coverage, which this didn't do. I think I still prefer powder with a little colour, like the MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural or the Laura Mercier loose powder.

I do like that it comes in two sizes. If you're going to try this, go for the mini version first.

Edit-- On second thought, the more I use this the more I like it! I don't think I was using enough before. I can put a ton of this stuff on and I never look too white. I think it gives a much better finish than the MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/12/2010 8:43:00 AM More reviews by cheezy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff works great for what it is. It does help a lot with my oilies, I usually get oily after a few hours but with this, I last through at least most of the day without looking like a disco ball. The packaging, though, is horrible. For anyone buying this, don't remove the little plastic over the holes when you get it! I'd rec stabbing holes with a needle in SOME of the holes through the plastic. if you remove the plastic the product will completely unload into the top, making a mess every time you open and want to use this! Also not a fan of the price. 30 bucks for this stuff? You can get something just as good from CS for like 4 bucks. Not that I've tried that, but after I run out of this(if I ever do!) I will.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2010 9:11:00 PM More reviews by cerulean19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this to set my under eye area, my forehead, and nose. I use a small brush to apply under the eye then a small puff using a press and rolling motion to apply it on larger surfaces. I don't use foundation so I liked that this feels super light just to set any concealer I would place or over concealer and pressed powder. It does last me at least half the day if not more if I'm outdoors. I wouldn't use this on the whole face because it does leave a white cast and I didn't realize this until someone took a picture of me with flash. But I would say this effect goes away after an hour and then it isn't noticeable and probably depends on not putting so much on. One jar lasted me more than a year and that's with having dropped it before and losing some product. It was my first "translucent" powder so I can't really compare with others but if I don't find anything else I like, I will buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2010 12:14:00 AM More reviews by bdawn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was soooo excited to get this powder. After seeing it on an infomercial and reading the reveiws here and on other sites I was sure it was going to be amazing. Well luckily I got just a little travel size jar because I'm very disappointed and likely won't even use the small bit that I have. The first time I applied it I put it on just like any other powder. Swirled a big fluffy brush in it and swept it over my face...Oh my God!! The white was horrible, I looked like death..haha. So after a couple of more tries I finally got used to picking up just the tiniest little bit and brushing that on. Well it was much better but still bad. Funny how some people don't have problems with the color and others do. No matter how little and how lightly I apply this I still end up looking dull and grayish. I have medium olive/yellow skin and this powder completely removes any natural glow from my face and makes me look older somehow. Still I've been trying to use it in other ways. I have under eye bags and any shine at all there makes the problem look worse so i've been applying a tiny ( I mean super tiny) bit of this powder there and a tiny bit in the area from my nose to my mouth as shine there also looks bad. Then I brush my mineral veil over the rest of my face and that seems to work well. On the bright side, the little teeny tiny amounts of this that I use will likely make this travel size jar last my entire lifetime.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2010 11:46:00 AM More reviews by taragirl

I figured I'd just chime in although I think after reading a few reviews, you guys have covered the territory of this product. I think it has potential but it should a) not be advertised as translucent, when it clearly is not (think ghostly on my fair-med skin every time); b) not come in a jar with that much opening when (as many of you have pointed out) you should only be using the smallest conceivable amount on a brush.

The two uses I have settled on are:

- (as someone else noticed) setting my under eye make up since it is already light but has staying power it's perfect for this

- ONLY using it on my T-zone with the lightest possible hand