Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Microfinish Powder

3.7

100% silica

LOVE this powder! I use it to set my foundation and it gives me a flawless look! The price is $30 at Sephora, but it will last you a long time because you only need a tiny amount each time you use it. It's a white powder and you may think it gives you that white/ghostly look, but it applies sheer and I never notice a white-ish look to my face. The packaging is alright...I just wish the jar was a bit flatter and wider so my brush fits easier into the top sifter.

I highly recommend the MUFE HD powder, especially if you have acne-prone or sensitive skin because it is 100% silica mineral. I previously tried the MAC Prep & Prime which is supposed to be the exact same product. The main and most important difference, though, is that the MAC powder is corn starch based which is bad if you are prone to break outs...the corn starch can clog your pores and bacteria will feed off of the corn starch. I do have to insert here that is is a theory I have heard so I am not entirely sure about whether or not this is true. But, from my own personal experience, using the MAC Prep & Prime broke me out heavily and the MUFE HD powder did not.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am not sure why this powder has such low ratings! I think it is AMAZING!
I love this HD powder better then any other I have tried! I have the MAC one too and IDK what it is about the MUFE one but I love it so much more. I feel like this one lasts on the skin so much longer then the MAC one. I need to reapply that one at least once during the day but this one lasts literally ALL day!
I recommend this to ALL my friends in real life and they all love it so much too!
I put this powder to a HUGE test the one day. It was hot as hell out and me and my man went to his parents and decided to go swimming which my makeup was not planned for so I just removed my eye makeup and left what was on my face on. I had foundation cream blush then the HD powder over it. I jumped in went under several times we were in the pool for at least 3 hours (I did have sunscreen on under all this too) and when I came out of the water to my surprise the HD powder made all my makeup the powder included WATERPROOF! Everything was in tact and in place just like it was before I went swimming! I was in SHOCK! My blush was just right my foundation was still there and all my concealer! I was stunned! So if you are looking to waterproof your makeup for the summer or if you live in a hot climate this is for you! I wear this daily on my face all over as a setting powder. It keeps my makeup in place and it NEVER slides! Now we have had some insane heat here where I live over this summer and this has allowed me to wear makeup! With out this I couldnt have looked as good as I did lol I know a lot of women have issues with oily skin and sliding makeup and I really suggest this to them! I have an oily tzone and dry normal the rest but this is a LIFE SAVER! I will never be with out it! I also use it as a under eye concealer setter and it is AMAZING for that as well I used to have settleing issues in my fine lines and this STOPPED that completely! NO MORE settleing concealer!! Sephora sells a small one of these that will last you forever for $15 (to try out) and a larger one for $30 if you love it like me!
Thanks for reading and check this out I know you will love it! Also this is completely transluscent so darker skinned beauties can use it as well! THATS GREAT!!!
:-)
ALSO I am not a fan of the packaging only cause when you open it some flies out! I am not sure if that could be differed with a new packing but it happens with all my HD powders not just this one.

This is the only finishing powder that has prevented shine. I have incredibly fair skin, so I wasn't concerned about it washing me out. I use it over my liquid foundation (MAC studio sculpt w SPF). I've tried MAC and NARS finishing powders and thought they worked fine. I re-applied them during the day and thought there was no other way.

When I used this, however, I only applied it only once (with my NARS kabuki brush) and walked around all day in the Southern California sun without reapplication. In addition, this powder didn't make me break out.

The price is reasonable (in comparison to other brands), and I recommend it to those who have skin that gets shiny mid-day.

Makeup Forever is my new favorite brand (sorry NARS, gotta step it up).

I'm a makeup artist and I don't know what I would do with out this product! I love it.. a little bit goes a long way!

Unfortunately, Elizabeth Arden stopped making my HG loose powder, I use MUFE face and body foundation, which I LOVE, so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Here's the deal with this powder, it WILL leave a white cast if you have tan/darker skin and don't apply it very lightly. Lucky for me I'm as pale as it gets and this stuff works wonders on my face. The texture is fantastic, super smooth and lightweight. It doesn't add much coverage, being that it's translucent... but it softens the entire face and blurs imperfections.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Great setting powder that works well to fill in fine lines and leave you looking FLAWLESS!

Lokks sorta "ghostly" when first applied but within minutes you will look airbrushed!!!!

I wouldn't but again because there is no way I could use all this goodness up!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I don't love this product nor do I hate this product. It's silky and sets makeup fine but it washes my face out. It makes me look like I have a foundation line. I got the small container and that's already 15 dollars! Not what I want to pay for such a disappointing product.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I bought this from Sephora after reading all the great reviews here on MUA and listening to the youtube MU gurus. I really wanted to like this powder but== I am sorely disappointed!!

After application, don't touch your face b/c it leaves a greyish film that lifts to the touch. My daughter kissed me and her lips were imprinted on my cheeks b/c the powder lifted off. Also noticed that this powder settles into my fine lines making it more visible. Another problem... it did NOT keep my oilies @ bay, in fact it magnified as I looked like a disco ball after about 3 hours.

I tried different application techniques--- applying it with a light dusting at first then I tried buffing it in. Still the same results. I hope I can return it to Sephora, but I'm not sure since I bought it a week ago and I've used it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Silica powder is a very smooth, silky, translucent fine white powder used in cosmetics.

When you open it, makes a puff mess, but to me it feels very fine and smooth as butter on the skin and gives a matte, polished finish.

It is highly absorbent and used for oil control. It improves slip in cosmetic blends and reduces the look of fine lines and wrinkles.

Silicones are a widely used group of oils and compounds, derived from the mineral silica. Silicones are water repellant and very stable.
There is no known toxicity when used externally.

Tests show it has been successfully used in hypoallergenic/hypoallerfenic and allergy tested formulations.

This can be used for slip in small amounts , oil control formulations of mineral makeup. Use in smaller amounts in dry skin formulations.

Those who would like to use this as a setting powder ingredient before or after applying makeup I like to ad adhesive powders to mine, it makes it even better

Please combine silica with other ingredients such as the below for added adhesion:

•Boron Nitride
•Magnesium Stearate
•Magnesium Myristate
•Sericite
For more adhesion

Is silica powder dangerous? The answer is yes and no.

Silica powder CAN cause silicosis, a respiratory disease, if breathed in in LARGE amounts, or through prolonged exposure in small doses over a long period of time (over 20 years)

This is also the reason why the people who are producing this stuff have to wear full body suits with masks.

However, as you are most likely not going to be snorting this stuff or creating large dust clouds of it to breathe in, you'll probably be fine. Edit: Silicosis has only been linked to crystalized silica particles (the stuff found in pottery, mining, etc) and there is no proof that spherical silica (cosmetic grade) causes or is connected to silicosis.

Secondly, cosmetic grade silica (silicone dioxide) IS a carcinogen...in lab animals. It's not listed as a carcinogen for humans on the MSDS.

So as long as you aren't leaving your container of silica powder out for your pet to snort, you're probably also ok.

Other forms of silica are a known carcinogen in humans, however, but they are not as finely milled and therefore cause more damage to the lungs.

Additionally, according to wikipedia, silica is the 2nd most common compound on the planet. (Makes it hard to avoid now, doesn't it?)
It's basically quartz or sand, and is found in many, many products besides just our cosmetics.

So...you don't have to toss it out...just try not to breathe it in.

For those wondering what exactly silica is used for, a quick google search also turned up the following on uses for silica in cosmetics:

"These are the reasons why silica is used for cosmetics:
Silica contained in foundation adsorbs sweat and oils in skin, which prevents light reflection by sweat/oil and keeps makeup on the skin longer.

Spherical particle type of silica improves the smoothness and spreading of foundation and cream.

The smooth surface appearance of nail polish is created by silica particles in the polish.

Porous silica is used as an ingredient in powder perfume, which can keep the fragrance on the skin for a longer time.

Silica is contained in antiperspirant, which gives the smooth feeling after it is applied on the skin.

Check it out at "Sephora".

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I live in Singapore and the climate is very hot and humid. Make up tend to melt under sweat and sebum. However after applying this over my make up, I find that make up really stays and helps to prevent the sticky feel. The most important, it prevents my make up from looking like mud in the ridiculous climate.

Weird, I find that I sweat less on my face after applying this? Anyway it's my hg finishing powder. I love it cause it's mineral, it does not clog my skin or give me any reations, feel absolutely safe using this. Been using this for about 2 months.

The powder seem to disperse int a big fluff whenever I swipe it with my brush. That's a bit of wastage.

Video Reviews & Tutorials