April 24, 2014 | 1898 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Mineral Powder SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2008 4:05:00 PM More reviews by unrulymaddie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So, like many of the reviews on here I have used many other mineral products, and I can say this is probably one of the better ones.
The Pros:
Does not break out sensitive skin, does not make skin oily or dry. Does add a subtle glow, and is very easy, as most mineral products, to apply.
The Cons:
It does not provide as smooth coverage as liquid makeups that break me out. For example my shiseido dual balancing foundation provides much better coverage and hides pores better but it does break me out. With that said, it does not hide pores too well. Also you can't layer it well on blemishes as a conceiler as you can with bare minerals. When using with a conceiler brush it will look too cakey and not natural.

So as a whole it's a good mineral makeup for light-moderate coverage for those with good complexions. For those with more problem skin you would need a conceiler with it, and I've tried 4 different kinds that still don't work well with the mineral formula.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2008 5:14:00 AM More reviews by kristinapentti

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have test driven this baby for about 9 months - time to write a review!

Where to begin - a mere 5 lippies are in no way sufficient. I have used this product everyday since May 2007, and I cannot find anything negative to say about it. My skin is sensitive and surface dry like nothing seen in the history of female vanity, and as a result, massively clog prone. I occasionally break out, and have v e r y visible melasma on my forehead, upper lip and cheeks. Before discovering LM MMU, I would use MMUs such as JI, Youngblood and BE, or liquids from Clinique. After I few hours, my skin would flake like crazy, and still be shiny, and come evening I'd be flaunting massive break outs.

During 9 months with this product, break outs and clogs have been reduced and my skin is less dry. The main thing for me is that LM MMU has no silicones, and since eliminating cones form my regimen, I have seen a dramatic improvement in skin. Ever so often I alternate with a liquid foundation (usually with cones), just to prove my point, and during the day I will start to flake and break out.

Coverage is excellent, both sheer and, well, covering. First, I prime with Youngbloods pressed mineral powder (the next best thing to a real primer, which I cannot use, bc of cones), then I layer the LM MMU thinly, and finish with LM mineral setting powder. It covers my melasma as well as any break outs. Compared to Jane Iredale, it is more finely milled, and compared to Youngblood and BE, less shiny and chalk-like. I use LM's bronzer brush, which is quite large and compact, with downwards strokes. Sometimes I press extra powder onto darker areas/spots. I use Real Sand in the winter and Rich Vanilla in the summer. Has never oxidized on me. In conclusion: if LM ever discontinues this product, I will never leave my house again.

Edit/March 2009: a year on, LM's MMU is still going strong. I have yet to break out from it, yet to dry out from it, yet to be sensitized by it. This foundation remains the ONLY one never to have caused any negative reaction on my skin, and this is is no small feat considering I have battled acne, flakiness and sensitivity from the age of 14 (am now 30). As always, I have strayed to other MMU-brands, e.g. Dior, MSCHIC, but LM cannot be beat: less ingredients, better packaging (perfect packaging, actually) and less reaction-inducing than any other, single foundation I have ever used.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2008 9:35:00 AM More reviews by Meisje

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this because I was curious to see what all the MMU fuss was about and I was curious whether the minerals would improve my troubled skin. After reading the reviews Laura Mercier seemed the one to use. At first I hated it. It looked heavy, powdery and over made up. Although I donít have oily skin, I found it was getting shiny by midday. I thought Iíd made an expensive mistake and was ready to find a friend or colleague with similar coloured skin to give it to. Then I tried using a different brush and its popularity rating increased. Then I bought the Finishing Powder and it became my favourite makeup ever. I cannot believe how easy it is to use. Iím really bad at applying makeup but I just canít go wrong with this. Itís so easy to apply a small amount if Iím having a good skin day or layer it up if my skinís not looking good. I have pores that clog easily and this causes them no trouble. I donít think it has improved my skin but it hasnít made it worse and I find it easy to control my faceís oil level with this than with regular foundation & powder. I travel quite a lot and the packaging is fantastic. Apart from the clever twist top to prevent spills, I can carry this in my hand luggage because itís not liquid. I will definitely buy again and this may replace my faithful Prescriptives foundations (Virtual Skin and Traceless) that Iíve been wearing for years.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2008 1:47:00 PM More reviews by orangeserendipity32

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Initially, I really liked this mineral loose powder in Real Sand. I would describe the shade as a bit like a candlelit glow with yellow tones. It matches my skin well and gave a glowy and finished look to my skin. I also sampled Rich Vanilla and it was a tad too tan for my fairish skin, but it also had yellow undertones. I have sampled BE, PUR, and this is the only one I liked enough to purchase the full size of, and therefore it is my first mineral makeup. Bonus-The first time I wore it I received a compliment on how beautiful I looked, and was asked what I had done differently, and this foundation was the only change that I made to myself that day. It also didn't seem to irritate my very sensitive skin, and didn't dry out my skin like some powders have in the past.

However, it is sheer to medium coverage and seemed to highlight flaws (i.e. pimples), because of the sheen of this product. It actually can be a bit too glowy, especially if I apply more than one sheer layer when I want more coverage (I use the BE flawless finish brush). I am a person that has dry skin and appreciates more of a dewy look, but this was even too much for me. So, because of the extra glow factor I decided to reserve this for a nighttime look. Well, I went out for a friends B-Day, and we were going thru our candid shots the next day, and to my horror I looked absolutely dead. No kidding. My face was really white and and shiny looking (about 5 shades lighter than my neck and chest in the pics) and had a GREY tone! I had blush and bronzer on mind you! My friend assured me that it didn't look like that at all in person, but nevertheless, I am not okay with looking that unnatural. If it looks that terrible in pics and reflecting off different lighting on me, I felt like I should warn others in case you were planning to have important pics taken that might give the same affect. I really like the idea of mineral makeup, but I'm a little scared that they all will have this same affect. So, off to Sephora I go to try to exchange this unfortunately.

Edit: So I decided to give this another go and for the last month I have made some changes. I changed the brush I use to apply it with, and I shake the container of powder before I dispense it into the lid so that the mica is evenly mixed in. Well, both these factors have made quite a difference. The BE brush I was using before was distributing it unevenly and heavily to matter how much I tapped and buffed, and resulting in a look that was too thick and mask-like, rather than natural and healthy skin. I also have added a matte powder over the top of it on my t-zone so I don't look as shiny, and overall I have a beautiful healthy glow that lasts all day. Now my naturally healthy skin shines through, but looks even better, and my complection looks much more "alive" in the dead of winter with a hint of glow (rather than the mirrorball affect I was getting before).

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2008 7:55:00 PM More reviews by selecu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this for myself for Christmas based on the rave reviews here. Honestly, it wasn't worth it. It doesn't cover my acne marks very well and leaves me looking really shimmery for some reason. Maybe the color I bought (real sand) is too dark for my skin, but I just don't like it that much. I'll be sticking with Everyday Minerals.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2008 12:30:00 AM More reviews by laratf

This is a genius product! I used BE for years but have switched faithfully to LM after a cosmetics counter artist stopped me in my tracks for a consult. Not only is it less shimmery than BE, it literally makes my pores disappear. You can get the same "concealer" effect by using a smaller brush and targeting blemishes that might be tougher to cover. The price is $35 compared to $19 but you get at least twice as much product, PLUS the container comes with a handy little twist-cover that prevents spillage when you travel. This is a LOVE for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2008 3:48:00 PM More reviews by MakeupMomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like a previous reviewer, I first read about this foundation in Paula Begoun's Best Products list. Luckily, I am close to a Sephora so I got a sample of Rich Vanilla and was able to "test drive" the foundation for a few days. Compared to BE, this foundation is superior in so many ways. The minerals are very finely milled and go on very smoothly. This foundation provides excellent coverage without looking heavy or cakey. Whereas BE is super-shiny and hard to blend, Laura Mercier's has more of a matte finish and blends like a dream. BE always left a whitish cast on my face but LM's doesn't. Rich Vanilla is a perfect match for my skin. With BE, I had to mix 2 different shades (at $25 each) in order to match my skin tone. Even then, it wasn't a perfect match like LM's Rich Vanilla. After testing this foundation for 3 days, I went ahead and bought a full-sized container. At $35 a jar, it's more expensive than BE. However, since I was mixing two colors, I will be saving money in the long run. If you like the concept of mineral foundation but didn't like BE, I highly recommend giving this one a try!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/25/2008 9:28:00 AM More reviews by SinfullyGirly

I got this in Tendre rose, this was the best match for me but just slightly too dark for my skin tone (MAC NW20, BB sand, MUFE #20). I found the coverage to be full and although it did give my skin a flawless look for me it looked too heavy and not natural at all. Found I could not apply in anyway to make it look more sheer (and I like coverage!) This made me feel like I was wearing alot of makeup. If you like a made up look you may like this. Would not repurchase. For me EDM is the best MMU.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2008 12:19:00 AM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

I am surprised by how much I like this product. It has great coverage for a mineral makeup, better than Bare Escentuals. The staying power seems to be a bit better than BE's too. The only thing I can complain about is that Tender Rose is too dark for me, & I am pretty certain it is the lightest shade available. I guess on better skin days I'll wear Bare Escentuals for the perfect color match in Fair. Another nice thing about this foundation is that you can find it more easily than a lot of the other mineral foundations. I got mine at Sephora. I definitely recommend this to others, except for maybe the fairest skin.

Update: Due to the fact foundations with SPF can destabilize sunscreen, not to mention the fact they sometimes don't photograph well, I think I'm going to use "traditional" foundations. (Not that I've noticed a problem with this product particularly.)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2008 6:01:00 AM More reviews by Jocky80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I hade to buy this after being both on Paula Begouns list of Best of 2007 and she is also recommending it in her new book, as well in the best product summary as a foundation with spf 15 for oily-very oily skintypes. I have the 3 step ( primer, foundation, powder)
I have tried many, many, many different brand( Bare Essentuals too shiny and sheer, Youngblood, good coverage too shiny and dry, Dermosil, does nothing, Everyday minerals, good, a bit dusty and dry, but I hade to mix 2 different to get the result I wanted, Loreal no staying power at all, Isadora, glittery).
This goes on beautiful! Not powdery/dusty or with a overdry feeling, and it goes on very even. When applied with brush the result is sheer, and I want a bit of coverage, so I have to go over the face 2-3 times. With a sponge you get a better coverage faster.Most mineral foundations are 3 in 1 ( foundation, powder, concealer), and yes you can use this with a concealer brush on red spots or under eyes for more coverage. I does not cover 100%, so maybe some skintypes have to use a concealer, but the foundation is enought for me.
I have the shade Rich Vanilla. On the LM homepage the shade was quite fair, but on sephora.com the shade was a bit darker, so I order it. My first reaction was ooops, this is to dark even for me ( I want a bit of color), but it goes on much lighter. The color become a bit darker after a few hours, almost tan-ish with the dark setting powder (me like that :))
The result is flawless and natural, not powdery-dry like many other I have used before. It has a non sparkling dimensional glow to it, that is matte. That is the only thing I don't like with it. I don't like any glow at all! ( my face has a quite strong glow naturally from my daily exfoliation, and the foundation takes away 85% of it).The powder takes a way a bit, but a talc/talcfree powder makes it ultra matte.
Like many other talcfree mineralfoundation this has great stayin power. Stays in place a whole day, even after training or going to work when it is raining.
It control oil ok, the shine control is also ok, you are matte almoust to lunch, and non shiny in normal daylight or normal indoor light. In strong lights like when it comes right at you ( bathrooms, elevators..) you look shiny before that.
Overall I like this! Has many of the thing that I'm looking for, like nondrying, Spf 15, and non powdery feeling and natural looking. The packing ( the jar that you can close is superb).
So normal-oliy or very oily if you have the change try it.
Update: I have stoped using, the bismurth makes my nosearea ichy-ichy. Also the shade is to dark for me. But still a good mineralfoundation.