July 26, 2014 | 1394 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Mineral Powder SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2008 6:26:00 AM More reviews by Scout12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let me first say this is the best packaging ever I have seen on a mineral powder or loose powder for that matter... Why? You can close the sifter with a sliding lid inside which prevents the horrible mess loose powders usually create. Therefore this is actually a loose powder you can bring along, (if your purse is large enough...;)

The powder is soft and finely milled and gives a rather sheer coverage, a bit buildable but not to full coverage. It has a slight glow about it to avoid skin from looking dead. However if you use mineral powder because your skin is oily and you need to cover that whithout either breaking out or looking shiny after a while again, then this is perhaps not your perfect choice. At least not without using the mineral finishing powder on top that LM recently released.

A finishing powder is almost always neccesary when using mineral foundations anyway, since the technique needed to push and swirl the foundation in place usually makes pores appear a bit more visible than desired when you are done, unless you have a flawless, poreless skin already to begin with...

But the finishing powder usually takes care of that. Either just by brushing it on with light strokes or by using a powder puff and lightly pressing it on top of the mineral foundation for a flawless finish.

The colors in this range is a bit on the darker side, I must say. I am fair skinned but not pale and usually find my foundation colors somewhere in the medium or natural range... But here I had to go with tender rose that is supposedly for very fair skin...

Some critisism... The amount you get for the very expensive price you pay is not much... And you will under most curcumstances need the finishing powder and a brush or even two if you don't want to use the same for both foundation and powder. And then this makes rather a dent in your wallet...

rated 3 of 5 on 2/7/2008 7:21:00 AM More reviews by carolynrelihan

I have several liquid foundations for my 40something oily skin, and I wanted to try a powder one. I'd seen Paula Begoun's listing of this LM foundation as a 2007 top product, and having used and liked most of the LM foundation range, I reckoned I couldn't go wrong with this one.

On the plus side, the packaging is ingenious, avoiding both waste and mess. The coverage is excellent, it blended beautifully, and the colour I got (Real Sand) was pretty good for my yellow medium-light skin tone.

On the negative side, my skin shone like the proverbial beacon. There is no way this could be described as a "natural, healthy, youthful glow" unless I had been aiming to look like a sweaty cheerleader. To add insult to injury, I paid the UK price for this (i.e. 30gbp or nearly 60usd) - this will teach me to buy without testing properly!

Back I go to my LM Oil Free Foundation...

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2008 5:13:00 AM More reviews by Jaikovsky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've tried many different mineral foundation products because I like the way mineral foundation feels on my skin than liquids or pressed powder foundations.

I've tried:

BE - orangy and shiny and glowy. Bisque (concealer) chalky and doesn't seem to cover well unless you really build on the foundation on your face.

Everyday Mineral - chalky, cakey (if you want good coverage.) took time to find your shade because too many shades and color pallet online didn't match skin shade you think you are. Multi-Tasking concealer doesn't seem to cover.

Philosophy - Hate packaging, shiny, cakey. Not enough shade.

I used to use Everyday Mineral, but decided to change the product after I saw how cakey I looked in a picture outside.

LM is overall my HG because I like the shade, and it gives me a natural finish. It is also supposed to help reduce toxins and promote healthy skin growth.

I must admit, I tried different mineral foundations and I never yet came across a mineral foundation who gives me perfect coverage. i.e. covering my pores, acne marks, and sometimes my redness. (Unless you really want to build up your foundation on your face.)

If you want coverage, (from my experience) you need to use a cream concealer or a dab of your favorite foundation to cover your flaws. (No powder concealer.)

To apply mineral foundation, just put on some primer (or pore minimizing/hiding product) and enough dust of foundation. Then, dab on some cream concealer or foundation that would cover your flaws. Finish off with powder.

Hope this product will continue being my HG...

rated 2 of 5 on 2/4/2008 6:18:00 PM More reviews by SassQuatch

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The glow that this product gives me is anything but subtle. I would describe it as shiny and unflattering. I know the shine is caused by this product, too, because I experimented by putting it only on one side of my face and no powder on the other. The LM Mineral Powder side was extremely shiny while the other was not (I have dry skin, for goodness sake!). I'm glad it worked for others, but not for me. Back to Sephora it goes! It gets two stars because of the ingenious packaging design. All purveyors of loose powders should take note and copy Ms. Mercier's design.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2008 4:05:00 PM More reviews by unrulymaddie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So, like many of the reviews on here I have used many other mineral products, and I can say this is probably one of the better ones.
The Pros:
Does not break out sensitive skin, does not make skin oily or dry. Does add a subtle glow, and is very easy, as most mineral products, to apply.
The Cons:
It does not provide as smooth coverage as liquid makeups that break me out. For example my shiseido dual balancing foundation provides much better coverage and hides pores better but it does break me out. With that said, it does not hide pores too well. Also you can't layer it well on blemishes as a conceiler as you can with bare minerals. When using with a conceiler brush it will look too cakey and not natural.

So as a whole it's a good mineral makeup for light-moderate coverage for those with good complexions. For those with more problem skin you would need a conceiler with it, and I've tried 4 different kinds that still don't work well with the mineral formula.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2008 5:14:00 AM More reviews by kristinapentti

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have test driven this baby for about 9 months - time to write a review!

Where to begin - a mere 5 lippies are in no way sufficient. I have used this product everyday since May 2007, and I cannot find anything negative to say about it. My skin is sensitive and surface dry like nothing seen in the history of female vanity, and as a result, massively clog prone. I occasionally break out, and have v e r y visible melasma on my forehead, upper lip and cheeks. Before discovering LM MMU, I would use MMUs such as JI, Youngblood and BE, or liquids from Clinique. After I few hours, my skin would flake like crazy, and still be shiny, and come evening I'd be flaunting massive break outs.

During 9 months with this product, break outs and clogs have been reduced and my skin is less dry. The main thing for me is that LM MMU has no silicones, and since eliminating cones form my regimen, I have seen a dramatic improvement in skin. Ever so often I alternate with a liquid foundation (usually with cones), just to prove my point, and during the day I will start to flake and break out.

Coverage is excellent, both sheer and, well, covering. First, I prime with Youngbloods pressed mineral powder (the next best thing to a real primer, which I cannot use, bc of cones), then I layer the LM MMU thinly, and finish with LM mineral setting powder. It covers my melasma as well as any break outs. Compared to Jane Iredale, it is more finely milled, and compared to Youngblood and BE, less shiny and chalk-like. I use LM's bronzer brush, which is quite large and compact, with downwards strokes. Sometimes I press extra powder onto darker areas/spots. I use Real Sand in the winter and Rich Vanilla in the summer. Has never oxidized on me. In conclusion: if LM ever discontinues this product, I will never leave my house again.

Edit/March 2009: a year on, LM's MMU is still going strong. I have yet to break out from it, yet to dry out from it, yet to be sensitized by it. This foundation remains the ONLY one never to have caused any negative reaction on my skin, and this is is no small feat considering I have battled acne, flakiness and sensitivity from the age of 14 (am now 30). As always, I have strayed to other MMU-brands, e.g. Dior, MSCHIC, but LM cannot be beat: less ingredients, better packaging (perfect packaging, actually) and less reaction-inducing than any other, single foundation I have ever used.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2008 9:35:00 AM More reviews by Meisje

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this because I was curious to see what all the MMU fuss was about and I was curious whether the minerals would improve my troubled skin. After reading the reviews Laura Mercier seemed the one to use. At first I hated it. It looked heavy, powdery and over made up. Although I donít have oily skin, I found it was getting shiny by midday. I thought Iíd made an expensive mistake and was ready to find a friend or colleague with similar coloured skin to give it to. Then I tried using a different brush and its popularity rating increased. Then I bought the Finishing Powder and it became my favourite makeup ever. I cannot believe how easy it is to use. Iím really bad at applying makeup but I just canít go wrong with this. Itís so easy to apply a small amount if Iím having a good skin day or layer it up if my skinís not looking good. I have pores that clog easily and this causes them no trouble. I donít think it has improved my skin but it hasnít made it worse and I find it easy to control my faceís oil level with this than with regular foundation & powder. I travel quite a lot and the packaging is fantastic. Apart from the clever twist top to prevent spills, I can carry this in my hand luggage because itís not liquid. I will definitely buy again and this may replace my faithful Prescriptives foundations (Virtual Skin and Traceless) that Iíve been wearing for years.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2008 1:47:00 PM More reviews by orangeserendipity32

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Initially, I really liked this mineral loose powder in Real Sand. I would describe the shade as a bit like a candlelit glow with yellow tones. It matches my skin well and gave a glowy and finished look to my skin. I also sampled Rich Vanilla and it was a tad too tan for my fairish skin, but it also had yellow undertones. I have sampled BE, PUR, and this is the only one I liked enough to purchase the full size of, and therefore it is my first mineral makeup. Bonus-The first time I wore it I received a compliment on how beautiful I looked, and was asked what I had done differently, and this foundation was the only change that I made to myself that day. It also didn't seem to irritate my very sensitive skin, and didn't dry out my skin like some powders have in the past.

However, it is sheer to medium coverage and seemed to highlight flaws (i.e. pimples), because of the sheen of this product. It actually can be a bit too glowy, especially if I apply more than one sheer layer when I want more coverage (I use the BE flawless finish brush). I am a person that has dry skin and appreciates more of a dewy look, but this was even too much for me. So, because of the extra glow factor I decided to reserve this for a nighttime look. Well, I went out for a friends B-Day, and we were going thru our candid shots the next day, and to my horror I looked absolutely dead. No kidding. My face was really white and and shiny looking (about 5 shades lighter than my neck and chest in the pics) and had a GREY tone! I had blush and bronzer on mind you! My friend assured me that it didn't look like that at all in person, but nevertheless, I am not okay with looking that unnatural. If it looks that terrible in pics and reflecting off different lighting on me, I felt like I should warn others in case you were planning to have important pics taken that might give the same affect. I really like the idea of mineral makeup, but I'm a little scared that they all will have this same affect. So, off to Sephora I go to try to exchange this unfortunately.

Edit: So I decided to give this another go and for the last month I have made some changes. I changed the brush I use to apply it with, and I shake the container of powder before I dispense it into the lid so that the mica is evenly mixed in. Well, both these factors have made quite a difference. The BE brush I was using before was distributing it unevenly and heavily to matter how much I tapped and buffed, and resulting in a look that was too thick and mask-like, rather than natural and healthy skin. I also have added a matte powder over the top of it on my t-zone so I don't look as shiny, and overall I have a beautiful healthy glow that lasts all day. Now my naturally healthy skin shines through, but looks even better, and my complection looks much more "alive" in the dead of winter with a hint of glow (rather than the mirrorball affect I was getting before).

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2008 7:55:00 PM More reviews by selecu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this for myself for Christmas based on the rave reviews here. Honestly, it wasn't worth it. It doesn't cover my acne marks very well and leaves me looking really shimmery for some reason. Maybe the color I bought (real sand) is too dark for my skin, but I just don't like it that much. I'll be sticking with Everyday Minerals.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2008 12:30:00 AM More reviews by laratf

This is a genius product! I used BE for years but have switched faithfully to LM after a cosmetics counter artist stopped me in my tracks for a consult. Not only is it less shimmery than BE, it literally makes my pores disappear. You can get the same "concealer" effect by using a smaller brush and targeting blemishes that might be tougher to cover. The price is $35 compared to $19 but you get at least twice as much product, PLUS the container comes with a handy little twist-cover that prevents spillage when you travel. This is a LOVE for me!