September 3, 2014 | 1642 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Mineral Powder SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2008 1:58:00 AM More reviews by LadyValea

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love mineral foundations. I''ve used BE #2 Jane Iredale I think warm sienna? youngblood, belladonna, Glominerals, Aromaleigh..
So I decided to try this Laura Mercier after seeing the ad on this board and in Allure magazine. The chick with the glowing flawless face!! " I want that radiance" anyhow, I had to purchase this at Neimans. I don't like to shop at Neimans the SA are so snobby. and the Laura Mercier was just as snobby.. she matched me with Natural Beige..." I thought it was to pink and dark!! she said NO!
I felt Real Sand would be better!! She said NO!
so I took the Natural Beige with the primer...because without the primer it may change colors? Later that evening I turned orange!
I took the Natural beige back and asked for Real Sand and this color is more yellow and lighter it was a closer match.. I think if you are a fair skinned asian girl this may be a good match. The product seems drying and felt masky ...its ok, but I don't think I'll purchase again...
I'll just use the container again!! refill with other minerals!! Love the container idea!! edit. I have discovered that a lite spray of MAC Fix+ makes the Laura Mercier foundation look radiant without the powdery, chalky look! MAC Fix+ with this foundation is an A+

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2008 7:15:00 PM More reviews by MakeupAddictedArtist

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I agree with Luftballon...packaging is genius. I love this stuff. I dust a little bit over a lightweight liquid foundation for a flawless face! I hardly ever wear it by itself. Will definitely repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2008 3:01:00 PM More reviews by HPPrincess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my first Laura Mercier powder and I am so happy that I decided to purchase this! This is one of the better mineral powders I have used - I have tried some that just make me break out more, but this one does nothing of the sort. I often wear it alone, when running errands on the weekends, with just a primer and the powder and it provides a very lovely glow that looks very natural. I have received so many compliments on how beautiful my skin looks with this foundation on. With my oily skin, I am so lucky that this does not further my breakouts and make my t-zone oily. Awesome powder!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2008 3:15:00 AM More reviews by luftballon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

First off, the packaging is absolutely genius. You can use the screwtop lid to blend/mix the powder, and there is a twisty thing in the jar that you can use to close/open the holes that dispense the powder. So when you open the jar heaps of powder don't explode all over the place. Great for travel.

The color selection isn't that great right now, but it is increasing. I was matched in Real Sand, a yellow based color, which seems like one of the most popular and universal colors.

The coverage is excellent, but as with all powders, you need a good primer and moisturizer for it to go on smoothly.

The powder is very, very finely milled and silky. It gives great coverage with a natural finish, and the pearl powder in it makes your face glow, not sparkle like BE does. It covers my acne scars and blemishes quite decently, and then I touch up with some more severe scars with concealer. I'm using less concealor than I used to!

I also like how it has SPF, that was a problem I had with Everyday Minerals (plus I never got my shade right and it was too chalky). It photographs very well, my face is the closest to flawlessness with this on, and this has never happened with my other foundations.

Everyday Minerals made my tzone an oil slick in an hour, but this not so much. I produce just enough oil to make my face feel healthy, but I have to blot, as always.

The price is reasonable for a great mineral foundation - $35. And they give you loads! This is my first LM product, and I'm not disappointed.

EDIT: Breaks me out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2008 6:26:00 AM More reviews by Scout12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let me first say this is the best packaging ever I have seen on a mineral powder or loose powder for that matter... Why? You can close the sifter with a sliding lid inside which prevents the horrible mess loose powders usually create. Therefore this is actually a loose powder you can bring along, (if your purse is large enough...;)

The powder is soft and finely milled and gives a rather sheer coverage, a bit buildable but not to full coverage. It has a slight glow about it to avoid skin from looking dead. However if you use mineral powder because your skin is oily and you need to cover that whithout either breaking out or looking shiny after a while again, then this is perhaps not your perfect choice. At least not without using the mineral finishing powder on top that LM recently released.

A finishing powder is almost always neccesary when using mineral foundations anyway, since the technique needed to push and swirl the foundation in place usually makes pores appear a bit more visible than desired when you are done, unless you have a flawless, poreless skin already to begin with...

But the finishing powder usually takes care of that. Either just by brushing it on with light strokes or by using a powder puff and lightly pressing it on top of the mineral foundation for a flawless finish.

The colors in this range is a bit on the darker side, I must say. I am fair skinned but not pale and usually find my foundation colors somewhere in the medium or natural range... But here I had to go with tender rose that is supposedly for very fair skin...

Some critisism... The amount you get for the very expensive price you pay is not much... And you will under most curcumstances need the finishing powder and a brush or even two if you don't want to use the same for both foundation and powder. And then this makes rather a dent in your wallet...

rated 3 of 5 on 2/7/2008 7:21:00 AM More reviews by carolynrelihan

I have several liquid foundations for my 40something oily skin, and I wanted to try a powder one. I'd seen Paula Begoun's listing of this LM foundation as a 2007 top product, and having used and liked most of the LM foundation range, I reckoned I couldn't go wrong with this one.

On the plus side, the packaging is ingenious, avoiding both waste and mess. The coverage is excellent, it blended beautifully, and the colour I got (Real Sand) was pretty good for my yellow medium-light skin tone.

On the negative side, my skin shone like the proverbial beacon. There is no way this could be described as a "natural, healthy, youthful glow" unless I had been aiming to look like a sweaty cheerleader. To add insult to injury, I paid the UK price for this (i.e. 30gbp or nearly 60usd) - this will teach me to buy without testing properly!

Back I go to my LM Oil Free Foundation...

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2008 5:13:00 AM More reviews by Jaikovsky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've tried many different mineral foundation products because I like the way mineral foundation feels on my skin than liquids or pressed powder foundations.

I've tried:

BE - orangy and shiny and glowy. Bisque (concealer) chalky and doesn't seem to cover well unless you really build on the foundation on your face.

Everyday Mineral - chalky, cakey (if you want good coverage.) took time to find your shade because too many shades and color pallet online didn't match skin shade you think you are. Multi-Tasking concealer doesn't seem to cover.

Philosophy - Hate packaging, shiny, cakey. Not enough shade.

I used to use Everyday Mineral, but decided to change the product after I saw how cakey I looked in a picture outside.

LM is overall my HG because I like the shade, and it gives me a natural finish. It is also supposed to help reduce toxins and promote healthy skin growth.

I must admit, I tried different mineral foundations and I never yet came across a mineral foundation who gives me perfect coverage. i.e. covering my pores, acne marks, and sometimes my redness. (Unless you really want to build up your foundation on your face.)

If you want coverage, (from my experience) you need to use a cream concealer or a dab of your favorite foundation to cover your flaws. (No powder concealer.)

To apply mineral foundation, just put on some primer (or pore minimizing/hiding product) and enough dust of foundation. Then, dab on some cream concealer or foundation that would cover your flaws. Finish off with powder.

Hope this product will continue being my HG...

rated 2 of 5 on 2/4/2008 6:18:00 PM More reviews by SassQuatch

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The glow that this product gives me is anything but subtle. I would describe it as shiny and unflattering. I know the shine is caused by this product, too, because I experimented by putting it only on one side of my face and no powder on the other. The LM Mineral Powder side was extremely shiny while the other was not (I have dry skin, for goodness sake!). I'm glad it worked for others, but not for me. Back to Sephora it goes! It gets two stars because of the ingenious packaging design. All purveyors of loose powders should take note and copy Ms. Mercier's design.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2008 4:05:00 PM More reviews by unrulymaddie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So, like many of the reviews on here I have used many other mineral products, and I can say this is probably one of the better ones.
The Pros:
Does not break out sensitive skin, does not make skin oily or dry. Does add a subtle glow, and is very easy, as most mineral products, to apply.
The Cons:
It does not provide as smooth coverage as liquid makeups that break me out. For example my shiseido dual balancing foundation provides much better coverage and hides pores better but it does break me out. With that said, it does not hide pores too well. Also you can't layer it well on blemishes as a conceiler as you can with bare minerals. When using with a conceiler brush it will look too cakey and not natural.

So as a whole it's a good mineral makeup for light-moderate coverage for those with good complexions. For those with more problem skin you would need a conceiler with it, and I've tried 4 different kinds that still don't work well with the mineral formula.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2008 5:14:00 AM More reviews by kristinapentti

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have test driven this baby for about 9 months - time to write a review!

Where to begin - a mere 5 lippies are in no way sufficient. I have used this product everyday since May 2007, and I cannot find anything negative to say about it. My skin is sensitive and surface dry like nothing seen in the history of female vanity, and as a result, massively clog prone. I occasionally break out, and have v e r y visible melasma on my forehead, upper lip and cheeks. Before discovering LM MMU, I would use MMUs such as JI, Youngblood and BE, or liquids from Clinique. After I few hours, my skin would flake like crazy, and still be shiny, and come evening I'd be flaunting massive break outs.

During 9 months with this product, break outs and clogs have been reduced and my skin is less dry. The main thing for me is that LM MMU has no silicones, and since eliminating cones form my regimen, I have seen a dramatic improvement in skin. Ever so often I alternate with a liquid foundation (usually with cones), just to prove my point, and during the day I will start to flake and break out.

Coverage is excellent, both sheer and, well, covering. First, I prime with Youngbloods pressed mineral powder (the next best thing to a real primer, which I cannot use, bc of cones), then I layer the LM MMU thinly, and finish with LM mineral setting powder. It covers my melasma as well as any break outs. Compared to Jane Iredale, it is more finely milled, and compared to Youngblood and BE, less shiny and chalk-like. I use LM's bronzer brush, which is quite large and compact, with downwards strokes. Sometimes I press extra powder onto darker areas/spots. I use Real Sand in the winter and Rich Vanilla in the summer. Has never oxidized on me. In conclusion: if LM ever discontinues this product, I will never leave my house again.

Edit/March 2009: a year on, LM's MMU is still going strong. I have yet to break out from it, yet to dry out from it, yet to be sensitized by it. This foundation remains the ONLY one never to have caused any negative reaction on my skin, and this is is no small feat considering I have battled acne, flakiness and sensitivity from the age of 14 (am now 30). As always, I have strayed to other MMU-brands, e.g. Dior, MSCHIC, but LM cannot be beat: less ingredients, better packaging (perfect packaging, actually) and less reaction-inducing than any other, single foundation I have ever used.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No