July 23, 2014 | 2118 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 2 of 5 on 11/11/2010 12:58:00 PM More reviews by wonderhj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I so so SO wanted to love this product. I was eyeing it for ages when I saw it on sale (for half the price!!!) and jumped on it! Of course, everyone wanted it because it was on sale so it was backordered and took some time to come to me but the anticipation just made it better.

The morning after I got it, I was actually excited to get up in the morning and try my beauty blender- this almost never happens LOL. When I wet the blender, it expanded which was kind of cool. But everyone is RIGHT. It sucks up a LOT of makeup. And the coverage is sheer sheer sheer. tsk, tsk. I normally prefer a sheer, natural makeup but it was too sheer- almost to the point of looking like a tinted moisturizer. I use Georgio Armani's shaping cream foundation or Chanel's Vitalumiere. I didn't want to dip the wet blender into my cream foundation so I decided to use my Chanel (they are both really expensive foundation) and let me tell you- other gals are right. It soaked up almost 3 times the amount of foundation that I would normally use. It's all very wasteful. My heart almost breaks because I wanted to love this so much and because I waited for it for so long ::sniff::

Because I only paid half the price for two beauty blenders, I don't think I'll be returning them. I am planning to go out and buy a drugstore full coverage foundation (one that won't make me cringe every time I pump out the foundation to dip the blender in -_-) and I'll report back. Others are saying that it works well with highlighters so we'll see about that too. But for now, I give this product a two star. I am so underwhelmed with this product, I would probably not buy it again, especially at full price.

ps: Whenever I wash the blender after using it, pink water comes out along with makeup... maybe it's because i am not using the washing solution that they also sell with the blender but it bothers me to know that somehow that pink stuff is going on my skin. I only had it for a week so maybe that is why it keeps bleeding pink when I wash it... I'll report back on this as well.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/8/2010 8:53:00 PM More reviews by Ssolay36

I was soooo excited to purchase this beautyblender. I found that it was extremely useless. I honestly did nothing. I had better ease apply my liquid foundation with my fingers!! I am very saddened with this product. Wanted to love it, but fell short... by a long run.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2010 2:49:00 PM More reviews by Tuts311

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been using this for about a month now. I was a bit wary at first i didnt know if it would live up to the hype.. But i was blown away. I have never had such flawless looking foundation . I also have the sephora dupe which doesnt even come close to the BB. I havent used my Foundation brushes since i got this and i really doubt i will again its that good. Brilliant product and worth every penny for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2010 1:30:00 PM More reviews by Beachbunnie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this! Its amazing!! applies my foundation flawlessly!!
So quick and easy to use I could never go back to using anything else!! You literally bounce the blender on your face like you would if you were using a stippling brush!! Superb!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2010 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Ummiss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Green

OK this is the second day I have used my beautyblenader and it is FABULOUS! The application gives a flawless finsh. At first I could not understand what evereyone meant but now.... I'm sorry I waited so long to get one.... I will never use a brush again to apply my foundation! The imitation ones (sephora yellow, & sonia Kashuk Blue)DO NOT add up The beautyblender is one of a kind. The texture is different and it expands which the others don't. I ourchased them from Sephora online and you get two for $25.95 and one for $19.95 so it better for your $$ to get the 2-pack. I do recommend this to everyone It should be in everyone makeup collections.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2010 4:38:00 PM More reviews by SR19

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product and I cannot live without it now. I hate foundation brushes. I apply foundation with it and pat my concealer in with it. I love the texture, the colour, the shape. I use it dry, I use it wet...doesn't matter which way I use it, I always get a great finish with it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2010 7:51:00 PM More reviews by gagag

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

In my endless quest to find the perfect foundation application, I've realized that brushes can't achieve that flawless texture - at least not w/full-coverage liquids or creams. So I gave the old standard white
wedge sponges a second look. Dampened, and used with the lightest stippling touch, I've been able to achieve full coverage with a porcelain finish. The only problem was the hard lines they made at the edges - which I'd then have to blend out. Pain in the... Enter the BeautyBlender. I ordered it online, but couldn't wait, so I ran out and bought the blue Sonia Kashuk dupe. That proved way too firm and dense (like the yellow Sephora dupe). The two of those actually hurt my face bc I couldn't stipple lightly. No worries, bc I had heard the pink BeautyBlender was much softer. In truth, it is softer than the dupes - about the same as my wedges. However, not as dense as my white wedges - and very porous. That's my big problem with the BeautyBlender - too porous, so the finish is too sheer. And I didn't want to use more than 3 layers of foundation bc it soaks up so much product (and yes, I only used it damp). Day by day, I did side-by-side comparisons, and the BeautyBlender just couldn't beat my wedges. In terms of coverage and texture, I'm sticking w/wedge sponges. For reference, I used EL DW and Nars Sheer Glow in thin layers on top of each other.

If it was made of the same dense, but soft, material as my wedges, but in that ingenious egg shape for seamless application, it would be the HG to end all HG's. Unfortunately, for all the hype, the BeautyBlender turned out to be the biggest disappointment of all the makeup products/tools I've ever purchased. I've seen it work well on youtube w/MAC Full Coverage - but that's an entirely different texture than anything I use - and mind you, that's on youtube. It's expensive, yes, but I'd gladly pay anything to achieve a flawless finish. This didn't come close - and it soaked up too much product.

UPDATE: I continue trying every possible application with this tool. To date, the only use for which it's fairly effective is pressing Powderflage into the corner of my eyes. Aside from that, standard white sponges trump this gimmick. I have no idea how the BeautyBlender is rated so well. I just think it's the biggest gimmick ever. The pink color, the shape, the hype - all very seductive; but the actual finished product it leaves is mediocre at best. Nothing a wedge sponge can't do - and a wedge sponge does it for 1/30 the cost and gives much better results.

32 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2010 3:35:00 AM More reviews by GoingToRedRobin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Undoubtedly the best thing I've ever used to apply my foundation. I always use it wet, and pat it on my skin. I get the most flawless, even complexion when I do this. I was skeptical at first, but now, i am a full-blown convert. I have purchased 4 of them, and will not EVER be without them!!! AMAZING

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2010 1:53:00 AM More reviews by mzpkay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ugh this is so expensive for a sponge! ...but so worth it. Love the pinkness and the expanding when wet, but seriously hate the price.

Pros: Pink, Gives the most gorgeous, airbrushed yet skin-like finish I've ever seen
Cons: Expensive

I've also tried Sonia Kashuk's and hers is a bit denser, which I like. IDK, I like both and can't choose. But I'll definitely be buying this again....if only for the cute pink eggness of it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2010 12:33:00 AM More reviews by lvn4jesus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I purchased this item at IMATS LA 2010 in Pasadena. One vendor was selling them for $10 each. Why I didn't purchase a gazillion of them I'll never know.
I have purchased the SK version at Target at least three times. I was always disappointed with the product. It would begin to break apart after two or three washings and would crumble on my face. The BeautyBlender feels softer and more pliable in my hand. I have vigorously washed this sponge a minimum of 10 times and there is absolutely no crumbling or breaking apart.
I use creme foundation (Cinema Secrets is the foundation of the moment). I use a foundation brush to apply the product to my face, spritz the BeautyBlender with my glycerin and rosewater solution and stipple/blend the creme foundation out. I get such flawless coverage that I have been asked if I airbrush my foundation. It does that well.
You don't have to use so much product to achieve the look you are going for.
I definitely recommend the purchase of the BeautyBlender. When I attend IMATS LA 2011, I will definitely stock up.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No