July 28, 2014 | 2048 users online

Masks - Aztec Secret - Indian Healing Clay

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2007 2:13:00 AM More reviews by triste3030

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this clay! I have acne prone skin and this mask helps keeps my skin clear. I use it once a week and mix it with water, and leave it on for like 15 minutes, or till it gets hard. You can feel it pulsating as it sucks out all the gunk from you pores and for only $5 for a small bottle you get your moneys worth and more. I would definalty recommend this to all those with acne prone skin, it will help you prevent future breakouts trust me!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2007 4:55:00 PM More reviews by daste

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this mask for a few years now, so I feel comfortable in finally writing a review. :) This is my staple and most-used mask. I have combo-oily skin that's prone to breakouts and use it once a week or so. I find that mixing a generous tsp of clay and a tsp of AVC is enough to cover my face with a good layer. Then I wait for it to completely dry, which can take 20-30 minutes. It does "pulse", which freaked me out at first, but now I enjoy it and take it as evidence that the mask is working. Then I use water to wash it off, sometimes using a washcloth if I'm feeling impatient. Afterward my face is red for maybe an hour, then it calms down and has a nice glow to it. I do feel that it has a cleansing effect, as I've been able to easily extract some clogged pores. Sometimes I purge a bit if I haven't used the mask for a while, but it generally helps calm down any trouble spots. I love this, it's a great value and I'll continue to use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2007 8:08:00 PM More reviews by rosalieann

i love this stuff...since i have been using it i have had no cystic acne even when i am stressed out or eating badly...before i might have had one or two cystic pimples a month...but none for three months now...my face also seems to have less redness... scars from the past cystic acne seem to be fading away as well...one warning do not wear this if there is even a chance of company coming over...you look like something that crawled out of the swamp with this on.but i would highly reccommend this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2007 6:30:00 PM More reviews by cowgurl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tend to mix this a bit runny, maybe about 1.25 - 1.5 to 1 ratio with any organic Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). The ACV is a great anticeptic and causes the clay to bind to your skin better so it really pulsates when it dries. The ratio I use takes about 1 hour to dry - YES. I have to layer it on, which I think makes it bind even better. You can see it really sticks to the skin, so I'd rate this well over Queen Helene as far as strength. Indeed, I got clever and started peeling it off one day and yanked out a bunch of eyelashes -- this stuff is Hulk strong. You want a mask to be strong to draw out impurities -- and this does that very well. Your skin may be fire-engine red after this comes off both from the AHA in the ACV and the sucking of your skin towards the mask and this will last for about 30 minutes. If the ACV is too strong for you, dilute it by 1/2. Again, the superb results come from the clay's use with the ACV which is just a great tonic for the skin, especially acne prone and congested skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2007 4:17:00 PM More reviews by benandjerrys

Hmm... I think I'm disillusioned. Traveled to Vitamin Shoppe for this potential HG. I opened it in the car, not knowing it was a bunch of powder. I made a slight mess :) Bought Bragg's Organic ACV at HEB. I've used this twice, both times with the vinegar. I wait 10-15 minutes, then rinse off. For me, it's not hard to rinse off. I'm just a bit more persistent with the water, and it will come off by itself. Yes, my face is dry, green, and cracked. Afterwards, it's a little, tiny bit red. I was expecting a miracle. Lo and behold, my face looks almost the same. I guess it's a bit better, less redness, smoother....but nothing wow! I didn't feel my pores purging or any pulsating. I'm going to try to experiment with it some more.
UPDATE: I stopped using it. I won't buy any more, since I still have the whole tub left. I used it a few times with water, and I think it was a bit better than with ACV. Still, nothing special worth the trouble.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2007 9:24:00 PM More reviews by miz_walker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OK. I have used this product and I have a review. Being a self proclaimed skincare nut, I could not resist trying this product after all of the rave reviews. I purchased at Whole Foods for 7.50. Great price! I have mostly oil, but sometimes dry, acne prone, somewhat sensitive skin. I used to use and loved Clearasil TotalControl Clay mask. Sadly it was discountinued. I have searched high and low for a replacement for years. QH Mint Julep mask comes close. So given the rave reviews of the Aztec Healing Clay, I had to try.

I just used the product so my review is very preliminary. I may have applied to thick as it took a long time for it to all finally dry. I kept waiting for that PULSATING feeling everyone's reviews referenced. Finally after like 10 minutes, the PULSATING starting. Oh yea, now we're cooking. The mask draws very tight. I guess that's the magic of the clay sucking out the impurities. I did equal parts mask, ACv, water mix. I might reduce the ACV a little as I tend to be dry in the evenings after I wash my face.

Given all of the reviews on this product, I;m surprised no one mentioned that when this stuff dries, you look like a creature from the Green Lagoon (or maybe its just me:-)). When I went the bathroom to remove, I was shocked at the thick, green, cracked reflection in the mirror. ANyhoo, washing this stuf off is tough. You def need a combination of a warm wash cloth and splashes of water to loosen everything.

Much to my surprose, I was pretty red after removing. Yes, a few reviews said that but my complexion is pretty dark so I felt I was above the redneess:-). But no, I am pretty darn red right now.

I will do an update after I have more time to judge the results...but for now, the mask seems as potent as my old clay mask that was discountinued.

All in all, this seems like a solid clay mask and a GREAT value at 7.50 a pop.

UPDATE: OH NO! I think i'm having an adverse reaction to this!!!! I have quite a few pimples near my upper lip, cheek area, and one above my eyebrow. They all seem like the superficial type that go away overnight or in a day or two. i hope this is the case. I am so vain and will just DIE if these pimple dont go away. Maybe I left on too long and maybe i should have used less or no vinegar...maybe just water. If these pimples fade quickly, i might try again - but adjust the portions. I dont want t o be the lone dissatisfied MA Member :-(

UPDATE UPDATE: AS I SUSPECTED, THE PIMPLES WERE THE SUPERFICIAL TYPE THAT FADED IN A DAY OR TWO. BUT I'M STILL NOT SURE THIS MASK IS BEST FOR ME. VERY FEW THINGS MAKE ME BREAK OUT SO I'M REALLY SURPRISED WITH THIS. I MIGHT TRY AGAIN BUT JUST MAKE SURE I MIX WITH SOOTHING, LESS HARSH/ STRONG BASE (NO VINEGAR!!!). I FOUND A FRENCH GREEN CLAY MASK (SOLD AT WHOLE FOODS) THAT'S SIMILAR TO THIS THAT I HAD REALLY GOOD SUCCESS WITH. I MIGHT JUST STICK WITH THAT. BUT I REALLY WANT THE AZTEC MASK TO WORK...SO WE'LL SEE.
continued >>

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2007 2:33:00 PM More reviews by violoniste

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This mask is awesome. It is so cheap. I almost answered "no" for "would you buy again?" because I can't begin to fathom when I would have to... the tub is huge, and I probably use a tablespoon of powder each time. I've only used it 3 times so far, but every time I do, I can't believe my eyes... the pores on and around my nose are substantially emptied. Of course, they fill up again within a couple of days, but that's when you know it's time to use it again. (I have congested skin, i.e. chronic small blackheads everywhere, but I rarely break out into pimples.) I've been experimenting with what proportion of water/ACV to use, how long to leave it on, and each time the results are good. I'll try adding other oils etc. later... can't recommend enough for congested skin like mine!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2007 12:27:00 PM More reviews by Krukewitt79

The first time I used this mask, I was unsure about it. It didn't seem to do much for my skin although my pores did look smaller. I tried it for a second time (as well as my husband!) and I'm in love! I had a cluster of severe break out on my forehead and today it is significantly reduced. My husband has large pores on his nose and this mask really reduced the size of most of them as well as clean out his skin. I used more water than cider the second time I used it and it was less drying this way. I will definetly repurchase!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2007 8:34:00 PM More reviews by JuicyBug

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Best clay mask ever! This mask cleared up my skin after a horrendous breakout. A few weeks ago, something was clogging my pores terribly and even daily blackhead extraction and not wearing makeup didn't stop new ones from forming. But this mask sucked up all the gunk and prevented blackheads from forming! It also made blackhead extraction easier afterwards. The clay itself has no smell and there is only a faint smell of vinegar when I have it on my face.

I mix the clay powder with generic supermarket apple cider vinegar and it instantly fizzes and forms a paste. The instructions call for mixing the clay and vinegar in 1:1 ratio, in a non-metal container. I just use a small plastic Gladware container and plastic spoon. Found the clay at Vitamin Shoppe for $7 for a huge tub (as big as a tub of Queen Helene Mask). Definitely give it a try if you like Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask. My search for a good zit-killing mask is over.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2007 2:13:00 AM More reviews by rallu

I have this mask on my face right now and i was thinking to write a review...(to help other girls too)
I found it at whole foods looking for the BB's mask and because it's way cheaper and not so many ingredients i thought i should try it...good choice.I use it maybe 2 times/week and i leave it on 1 hour or longer. It is the best thing i ever put on my face . It clears out every single little pore and if i have pimples it makes them disappear.i have combination skin and acne prone and this is the only thing that helps.try it and good luck