Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.4

CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

on 9/2/2010 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This works like a full face pore strip!

Recently I had a pretty angry allergic reaction. My entire face was a mess and just as bad after treatment. The steroid cream I had to apply clogged my pores SO badly. My entire face was left covered in blackheads once the original reaction had subsided. I knew this mask would help so I started applying this mask o1-2x a week or so. After just the first application there was significant reduction in blackheads. I mean SUPER significant.(I do loosen things up first with a cleansing oil) Its been 3 applications now and my face is almost completely cleared up.

I've used this mask now for about a year. I LOVE it. I have pretty sensitive skin and was glad to find something that is pure and simple.

I use generic ACV which turns this into a little bit of a mousse like consistency. It's kinda fluffy :) and then add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil. The tea tree oil was the trick for me. Before I added the TTO it kinda started itching and I couldn't let it sit on my face long enough to dry. Still got nice results, but not as good. Once I added the TTO it was perfect. The tingly sensation fromt TTO allowed it to be comfortable on the face until it dried. I let it dry completely and then I give myself a big-o smile! Yeah, kinda hurts, but it's like I can feel it pulling the crap outta my pores!

To get it off, I pat/spalsh water over it a few times til it softens. Eventually, it breaks down and washes clean and takes all the nasty with it. My skin always feels so soft afterwards, too.

You need so little of this stuff. My container is still pretty close to the brim a whole year later!

on 8/24/2010 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

I'd suggest 1 part water to 2 parts powder for easier application. The 1 part water 1 part powder ratio ended up too watery but lucky for me the jar is huge and cheap, so I wasn't so stingy about adding more powder to the mix. I spread a thin layer onto my face and sat around for 10 minutes until my face felt tighter. I liked that the mask wasn't crumbly like other mud masks I've tried. next time I'll throw some ACV into the mix for optimal pore sucking! the mask worked in reducing pores and bringing some whiteheads to surface, but I still have stubborn blackheads.

on 8/15/2010 3:14:00 AM

I mix this with ACV, 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. of sulfur powder (check Amazon), a few drops of lavender (or other EO like tea tree) and jojoba oils, and occasionally lemon juice and plain yogurt. I leave it on for about one hour. It's exceptionally cleansing, tightening, and purifying. I imagine you could add pureed banana, avocado, turmeric powder, herbal teas, etc. to customize for your skin type. Rather than having many expensive tubes of brand name items, it's nice to have an inexpensive, highly effective, pure, non-preservative and freshly-made mask on hand.

on 7/26/2010 6:37:00 PM

Ive been using this for about 3 years now. Its awesome! This is what I reach for when my skin needs some help. I use it a lot during the summer to help pull all the sweat, oil and makeup out of my pores. It can be a bit drying so I dont use it in the winter as much. It really helps to clear out clogged pores and I like to use it as a spot treatment for pimples over night. It brings them to a head and dries them out in record time and doesnt make my skin itchy or flaky like BP does. I mix the mask with braggs apple cider vinegar. Don't use plain water, it doesnt mix, just makes the clay clumpy. I find that ACV makes it perfectly smooth and easy to mix and apply.The downside of using acv is it's not the most pleasant smelling things to put on your face, especially so close to your nose. Also, people around you will probably comment on the stench and stay away from you till you wash it off. =p My husband lovingly calls me 'Foot face' when I use this mask. Oh well, the price of beauty. If you can't stand the smell of ACV you can use lemon juice, or dilute the vinegar with water. I like to leave the mask on till its completely dry or till I just can't stand to keep it on any longer (it will make your face feel very tight.) to remove the mask, I stand over the sink and splash warm water over it a couple times. The clay reabsorbs the water and softens the clay, but it takes a few minutes, if you wait a bit it is much easier to wash off. I usually sit and watch tv or something while I wait. I love this mask, it costs about $8 and you get so much it lasts forever!

Great mask! No frills just some ancient dirt and add water and you have a miracle! My Grandfather is Aztec and always had amazing skin so I thought why not give it a try. I got this at the grocery store for 5.99 what a steal! and it's huge. Tightens up like a mofo but I like that. Cleared my chin blemishes and I smeared it on my chin and neck and it tightened it up a little too! When I washed it off (I did it on the bath to prevent issues) it felt like the bad skin had been sucked out and the good skin was revealed under it. Love this mask!

on 6/22/2010 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

My skin is really dry - I have eczema that's pretty much under control but that has left my skin really sensitive. Weirdly I also have a lot of persistent acne on my face on top of that dry skin. I've used this mask many times with apple cider vinegar and don't care for it. It hasn't really done much for my acne but dries out my skin a lot. I also haven't noticed a difference in pore size, but I can't completely blame this mask because some of my pores are huge thanks to my various skin problems. Overall not worth it if your skin is dry - it will suck all the good moisture out of your skin. Plus the smell from the vinegar is gross.

on 6/7/2010 5:51:00 PM

AMAZING....AMAZING....AMAZING. I am 5 months pregnant and my skin has been soooo awful. Tone is bad,pimples everywhere, just horrible. My mom had this on her face so I decided to give it a try. And yes the pulsating is a little wierd and the tightness kinda hurts but after I rinsed it off My skin was red but only for 20 minutes ( and blood flow to the face like that is good for your skin) My skins tone was improved significantly and every pimple was less inflamed and smoother. I had to go out and buy a tub and am using it just about everyday and my face is pretty much clear. Acne spots are even lighter. I use ACV to mix it with and that does wonders on the skin as well. I WILL NEVER STOP USING THIS. this is my #1 Beauty find I will never give up and SOOOO CHEAP. I think this is the best at home mask u can ever use! :)

on 6/4/2010 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This is the best mask Ive ever used. I mix this mask with ACV and apply before bed. Afterwards I apply oil to my skin.

I have dermatits, oily, dehydrated skin. I also have large pores around my cheek area. I receive a compliment everytime I apply this mask. My pores are tight and my skin is bright.

Edit: In response to a couple of questions...I mix the clay with a generic brand of ACV. It makes the mixture a little foamy when you mix it. The mixture will be creamy when you apply it to your face.

When you wash off your mask, soak your washcloth in some warm water and apply it to your face to soften up the mask. I do this several times, before I start wiping the mask off.

on 5/29/2010 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Best mask I have ever used for acne/blackheads. I have very large pores, a "strawberry" nose and numerous small bumps that don't ever seem to go away. When I tried the mask, I also used some on the back of my upper shoulders where i often get a few of the angry red bumps that never come to a head and just sit there for a week or two. The mask not only REALLY cleaned out my pores (comparable to nose strips) but also immediately reduced the size and redness of the aforementioned devil bumps. Anyways, my complexion is not perfect, but I have only used it once and have seen very good results. I am going to try adding sea salt for easier removal, but last time I just hopped in the shower and did not have too hard of a time in removing it-just worried about the drains. Anyways, I would definitely recommend to anyone who has found it impossible in the past to really deep clean their pores-this product is almost like a magnet!

UPDATE** I have been using this product for months now and I am seeing good results. If I had more time, I would use this every other day (but just because my skin is SO oily), each morning after I use it, I can notice a lot less breakouts than when I dont, and less redness of bumps. I have discovered that using more ACV and less of the clay gets the same pore-zapping results, but dries faster and removes a helluva lot easier.

on 5/28/2010 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was excited to try this but rather disappointed when I finally did. I mixed it with a bit of apple cider vinegar and smoothed it over my face. DONT let this sit longer than it dries. It HURT to get it off! I thought I was going to have to get some sort of paint scraper to get it off my face. The second time I made sure to wipe it off earlier but it still hurt and now I'm just scared to use it again. I don't really know if it is effective, which is why I'm not giving it less than 3 stars - it may be, I just haven't been able to use it long enough.
**UPDATE** I figured out a good ratio of powder clay to apple cider vinegar - I use a tablespoon of each and add a bit more vinegar if I need to thin it out. The thinner it is, the easier it is to deal with and it doesn't hurt! I use it weekly now - I think it might be helping control my breakouts.

Popular Masks