July 31, 2014 | 1772 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2011 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Aeternitas

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Ok, MUA. Go ahead and crown me the coconut oil queen. I am obsessed with it. I hardly know where to start! Bear with me, as this review might be long; I'll break it up into parts so just read what interests you. For reference, I have combination/dry skin that is acne prone.

I've only used one brand of coconut oil, which is the LouAna brand you can find in the cooking section of WalMart. It's $6 per 30 ounce tub. This brand makes products/oils specifically for cooking or frying, so I was skeptical of trying it as a beauty product. However, the only ingredient listed is: coconut oil, which is what you want in a coconut oil (right? ;p) I figured this would do, since it was the only coconut oil available. It has a yellow tint; this brand's oil is deodorized, processed, and refined. This doesn't bother me, but I think most oil-users will tell you that you should get UNrefined (it might be better, more effective, and safer to use). When I finish this tub of LouAna, I will move on to an unrefined oil. Anyway, LouAna has been working beautifully for me in the past month. Here we go...

HAIR: My original intent in buying coconut oil was for my over-processed hair which is almost down to my butt. I went from brown to blonde and my hair was in desperate need of a drink. The night I got my highlights done, I ran out to buy this magical coconut oil that I was hearing about. Once I got home, I put about one and a half cups of coconut oil in a bowl, heated it, and drenched my dry hair with it for one hour, including scalp. Some people use it on wet hair, but I find that dry hair will soak it in more effectively. I washed it out in the shower and shampooed it twice to make sure it wouldn't leave a greasy residue.
- The effect: Once my hair started to air-dry after the shower.... man. I've never felt my hair so silky and soft. It was frizz-less; my natural wavy curls looked so healthy and my ends didn't look so horribly fried. I was stunned. I now do this once a week as a hydrating treatment for my hair. It's also good as a leave-in conditioner on wet hair, if used sparingly; it really leaves your hair smooth when you blow-dry it or straighten it. No other synthetic hair crap compares.

ECZEMA: After I used this oil for my hair and saw what it did, I tried it on my body. I slathered it on and massaged it into my skin. Obviously I used my hands, and at the time, I was having a breakout of dyshidrotic eczema all over my hands and feet. The breakouts happen once or twice a year from stress, dryness, or weather change. Dyshidrotic eczema are clusters of little red bumps or blisters that itch and cause tightness in the skin, mostly on hands and feet (though I've had it on my knees and elbows as well). I was not expecting coconut oil to work for my eczema, nor did I buy it for that purpose. I wasn't even concerned with what it would do for my eczema.
- The effect: I woke the next morning without one single trace of my eczema. Not one. It had completely disappeared. After that, I looked online and read many things about how great coconut oil is for many forms of eczema and Keratosis Pilaris. The reason for my eczema must have been serious dryness in my hands; the coconut oil hydrated my hands and left them incredibly soft with no eczema in sight. I use it on my hands and feet every night before bed. I wish my fiance' would let me use it on his dried up crocodile feet!

NAILS: As another unexpected plus from using coconut oil, I've notice that using it on my hands every night has made my nails stronger and healthier looking. I've had dry fingernails my whole life that were very much comparable to corn flakes. They'd start cracking before they even grew past my fingertip. I've always been told to drink more milk, to that which I say "shut up" (not really) because I drink more milk than anyone I know and it's never helped. This has significantly reduced the cracks in my nails. I actually LIKE my nails, now. The oil also softens the cuticles. I massage the oil right into the cuticle, over the nail, and underneath the nail. They've never looked better, but they're still not amazing nails (I'll blame my genes for that).

BODY(Skin): Every once in a while I will use it on my body after a shower or shave. It's deeply hydrating, especially for my thirsty skin. I'm like a sponge. I don't use it often only because it takes a while for it to soak in completely; it doesn't really "dry" - so I have to wait before I put on clothes or go to bed. It strangely hasn't done wonders for my body like it has my hands, face, and hair, but it does make my skin softer after each use.

FACE: As I previously mentioned, I have acne prone skin. It took a lot of thought before I actually decided to put this on my face. The idea of an oily, greased-up face made me cringe and I thought "this is gonna make me break out and clog my pores like no other". I tried it anyway because I'm desperate when it comes to my face. I've been suffering a lot of breakouts, pimples, and cystic acne for the past couple of months, right after my face was finally ALMOST clear (I was so damn close!). I exfoliate and cleanse before I apply this to my face on a nightly basis.
-The effect: holy sh*t. My redness and acne was GONE. It did the polar opposite of what I thought it would do. It nearly cleared my face up overnight, except a few cystic bumps that were greatly reduced in size. Not only my acne, but my face looked so fresh, plumped, and smooth when I woke up. I've used expensive night creams, and coconut oil tops them. It's unbelievable. I use coconut oil religiously. I put it on my lips and eyelashes and it helps them as well.

WHAT IS COCONUT OIL GOOD FOR?
Dry skin, hands, feet, hair, eyelashes, and lips. It is a wonderful overnight treatment for hydrating the face, reducing wrinkles, strengthening nails, and aiding the treatment of eczema. The reason it's so effective is it's antimicrobiaI properties. It's the ultimate be

119 out of 121 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2011 12:50:00 PM More reviews by catjacarol

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I would give my regimen 10 lippies if I could. Coconut oil has saved my fragile, dry relaxed hair.

I use coconut oil with some extra steps to create the best pre-treatment EVER.

I moisten my hair with rose water and then apply glycerin from root to tip. Then I repeat the process. After that I coat every strand with a mix of coconut oil with one dropper of neem oil added for extra punch. Keep in mind, neem oil stinks. I leave this on for at least overnight, but have left it on for as long as a day under a plastic cap while cleaning house or working in the back yard (under a ball cap of course and a privacy fence hee hee!)

If I don't have the time or don't want to let it sit that long, I sit under a warm dryer for about 30 minutes. Then I wash with sulfate free shampoo (twice) to get rid of the scent and use a creme rinse conditioner. I follow it with a light spray of Chi Keratin mist and a blow dry. My hair is full, soft, shiny and hair model swingy!!! I don't use any other products and have been so satisfied since I figured this out through trial and error.

I am just sad that I have a closet full of silicone glossers and expensive "moisturizing conditioners" that I wasted my money on. This is cheap and works better than anything I have ever tried.

My skin is acne prone, so I make sure to wash my face and hairline thoroughly to keep from getting a break out. So far so good. I will keep you updated if I make any changes.

Coconut oil is the hair HG for my conditioning needs :D

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by uyai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

Virgin Coconut Oil is my HG body moisturizer. I use it after my shower - only a small bit is needed - and it leaves my skin feeling velvety smooth. I've had stubborn KP on the tops of my arms for aslong as I can remember, and coconut oil is the only thing that successfully removes it. A lot of body lotions feel sticky/heavy but coconut oil suprisingly doesn't (assuming you don't use too much) and absorbs quickly. My skin is left hydrated for days on end. It's a whole other story on my face though. I have very sensitive breakout prone skin and coconut oil leaves me with huge cysts and red pimples everywhere. It all depends on your skin though as some people have used it on their face and love it.

In regards to hair, I'm not overly impressed with it. It fades my colour ridiculously quickly and it can be a PITA to remove from my hair if it gets anywhere near my scalp. I do not notice any increased shine...I prefer sesame oil as it helps retain my colour and makes my hair very shiny after rinsing out. I heard that coconut oil penetrates the hair from inside the shaft making it stronger though, maybe that's why I don't notice visable effects in regards to shine. One thing I will say is that it does seem to make my hair healthier and I don't get as much breakage as I used to. So a thumbs up for making hair stronger, thumbs down for shine.

I also love incorporating coconut oil into my diet. Some of you may know that some super models such as Miranda Kerr love it - she says she has 4 tablespoons per day, either on her salad, in her cooking or in a cup of green tea. I too have been using it on my salads and mixed into millet seeds or quinoa for about 3 years now. It tastes DIVINE and I have noticed good changes in my skin, I used to have terrible acne all over but for the past 2.5 years my skin has been relatively clear unless makeup is breaking me out. I also contribute it to maintaining my weight, having lost 3 stone (42lbs) since I started including it in my diet. This is because it's easy to digest and it helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and enzymes systems. Further, it increases the body metabolism by removing stress on pancreas. Some may be worried because it's high in saturated fat but don't be. It IS beneficial for the heart as it contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. The saturated fats in coconut oil are not like the ones in other vegetable oils as it does not lead to increase in LDL levels.

Good stuff, all natural, readily available and affordable. I buy VCO from any health shop - there are good ones in Greenwich Market (for those of you in London like me, costs about 3) or any Holland & Barretts store (huge tub for around 10).

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2011 11:43:00 AM More reviews by angelinuh

I use coconut oil as a natural way to help with shine and upkeep on my hair. I don't have colored or damaged hair, and I want to try and keep it that way! I use just a bit on my hair (as my hair is greasy naturally a little bit goes a long way for me) and I use it as a makeup remover (works wonders). It is a great conditioning treatment for hair, nails, eyes, and for overall health happiness.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2011 11:21:00 AM More reviews by taralynn36

I use this in 3 ways. My favorite way is to put a small amount of this on my hair at night and then wash it out in the morning. You don't need a lot, at least not on my fine hair. Since I don't use a lot, I don't need to worry about my pillows. It soaks it right in. I like to use it once a week. Between this and the Apoghee protein treatment, my hair at 39 is in the best shape ever. And I swear it's growing a lot faster, or so it seems maybe because I have far less breakage and shedding.

I also use it as a makeup remover. Granted, my skin isn't sensitive or breaks out easily. So I liquify it in my hands and then rub it in really well. Sometimes I wash it with cleanser or I use my baby wipes to wipe it off. (Instead of buying makeup remover wipes, I buy baby wipes and mix a little baby shampoo or Dr. Bonner's castille soap and water and pour in the container to saturate) It works wonders on makeup and I have no problems with clogged pores. Sometimes I dab a little underneath my eyes at night for extra moisturizing. It's also great to remove long wear lipsticks like Infallible or Outlast!

I also find this to work really well to put on my elbows, knees, and feet before using sunless tanner. It creates a good barrier to keep from getting to much on these areas. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2011 6:54:00 AM More reviews by MichikoFliz

Best multipurpose product ever.
Perfect for making damaged hair beautiful again. Great makeup remover and moisturiser. Helps with acne since it is antibacterial, fade scars as well as anti-aging.
Can be ingested as well for health benefits. I love it, I'll always have some of this lying around. It is too good and eliminates the need for x number of products.
This does it all and doesn't cost that much for a giant tub. Everyone else can buy their expensive cleansing balms and hair treatments, I am going to stick with coconut oil, this is what dreams are made of.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2011 2:11:00 PM More reviews by oasdus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I started using Nutiva brand about three weeks ago. I take a tablespoon internally most days, but the main thing I use it for is skin and hair care. I mix it with extra virgin olive oil in a dark spray bottle and use this while my skin is still wet after showers. I put this same mixture in the ends of my hair and lightly work it through the rest. I use it while my hands are still damp after every hand washing. I also use a dab of this mix on my face, morning and night after cleansing, while skin is still slightly damp. The reasons I like it are because it keeps my skin moist and glowy, it has a nice, light smell, and it's all natural with no chemicals being absorbed into my body. I'd been using evoo alone for the last year, but it was after I added the virgin coconut oil that I noticed my eyebrows filling in more, specifically the right one where I'd overplucked the outside corner in my early 30s. I had no hope of ever getting it to grow back after no growth at all for five years. (I'm 37 as of this writing). But over the last few weeks that I added coconut oil to my evoo mix, that the hairless side of my eyebrow is filling back in. Another thing I like about this oil is that I can sit out in the sun for a few minutes to get my vitamin D and I seem to get a nice, light tan rather quickly.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2011 5:40:00 PM More reviews by mmandelik04

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love love coconut oil for my skin. My skin use to get flaky on some parts of my body (especially around my tattoos) but now that I have been using it for a little while everything feels baby soft :) I use the Spectrum brand. Organic. Unrefined. It has work the best for me. I tried whole foods brand and it broke my husband( yes he uses it too his skin has improved so much too) and me out. I bought also Dr. Bronners Organic Coconut oil and it didn't seem to moisturize so well. Not every coconut oil is the same so try a few out before saying it doesn't work for you. I am starting to get many people to try it. Everyone notices a difference especially on my face. I use it everywhere and has worked very well. I do recommend something else for your hair as coconut oil can leave your hair a little crunchy feeling after a coconut oil/honey treatment. Other than that definitely my go-to product :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2011 11:18:00 AM More reviews by Gardenia24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is for the Parachute brand that can be found online or in your local Asian/Indian food store...its about $3 US for an 8 ounce bottle. Kept at room temperature it can solidify but put it in a warm water bath and it will reliquify. Developed an addiction to it as a hair treatment while in India this year...nothing like a good head massage with it :) Leave it on overnight or pop on a shower cap for a heat treatment (thanks to your own head) and shampoo 1-2 times in the shower. Soft and silky hair with less frizz and split ends are gone. Also great for taking off eye makeup...very gentle when used with a cotton swab. Wouldn't use it for OCM because it can clog pores. Also great for moisturizing skin on your body and lightening/healing scars. It's pretty much the go-to of the oils for me. Love the smell and the price!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2011 2:55:00 AM More reviews by macmebeautiful

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love coconut oil! Once a week put this all in my hair, I really saturate my hair with it. I rub it into my scalp also to help with my dandruff. Then I leave it in for however long I want, usually about an hour and then I wash my hair really good like normal. AMAZING! I have really really damaged hair and this helps so much!

Also, please make sure to buy 100% PURE, COLD-PRESSED, ORGANIC, coconut oil. If it DOESN'T have a smell to it, it is NOT cold pressed. So that usually means it was left out for a long time to dry, days or months even, and therefore it can ferment or change colors because of the heat. Because of that, they will BLEACH the coconut oil to get that white color back, therefore leaving it with no smell.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No