September 2, 2014 | 2130 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2007 10:49:00 PM More reviews by tigerlily3040

I started using RetinA when I developed acne and I really noticed an incredible difference in my skin. It didn't help with the acne as much has it did for my forehead lines and blackheads on my nose. I stopped while I was on Accutane and I have started using it again since I've finished with my treatment, and I'm loving my .1% even more now, but i'm taking 1 lippie off b/c it isn't has effective for my active acne outbreaks.
update: even though i think there is a place for RetinA it was just too harsh and i was never able to get threw a red and raw phase. i use differin gel .3% and it itsn't as harsh and i'm receiving great results.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2007 11:15:00 PM More reviews by tetrakis

I have recently moved up to Retin A cream 0.05% for two reasons 1) ystheal gel is discontinued. I was using this b/c I have rosacea and I was afraid to try Rx's. Also most of the Rx's have ingredients I am allergic to, but Retin A cream does not. 2) the website I ordered it from did not have 0.025%, or I would be using that =). My skin type: Dry, rosacea, not acne-prone, very very sensitive. The rest of my routine is on my np. I use retinoids to prevent aging, keep my pores clear, and help reduce inflammation in my skin (since I have rosacea, an inflammatory disease of the face). More information about these functions of retinoids is on my notepad. On to the actual Retin A experience: In the first couple of weeks, I purged a little, which was surprising because I had used ystheal gel for over a year prior to that. It wasn't bad, though, I just had blackheads "sticking out" of my face. I left them alone and they resolved within a few weeks. I also peel if I use it more than once every other night, but it's not too bothersome. I just use a baby wash cloth to roll the skin flakes off my face. I am planning on sticking with an every other night frequency for the first couple of months, then I will try moving up to nightly. As my notepad indicates, I mix it with my rosacea Rx (metrocream) to dilute the dosage I am getting. I also, sometimes, mix in a drop of unscented mineral oil (you can get this in the laxative aisle) to increase the moisturizing properties. Unexpectedly, Retin A cream is not very moisturizing, imo, (and neither is metrocream) so I mix in the oil to help with my dry skin. Don't be surprised if your skin becomes more dry after you being using Retin A, either. You may need to change your other products to adjust well. Visit my notepad for information on easing into retinoids as to avoid excess irritation and peeling, etc.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2007 5:46:00 PM More reviews by msmays

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm using the .025% generic gel formula. I've been on retin-a for 2 months now. I have sensitive oily acne-prone skin. My acne got worse in the first couple of weeks--really really bad. That is mainly bc I did not wait 20-30 minutes after I washed my face before putting on the retin-a. Now that I am following directions to a "T" my skin has cleared up! Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation from acne is disappearing. And I have less breakouts. I was starting to get lines on my forehead but now they are completely gone. Definitely worth a try if you have insurance bc it only costs me $10 a tube. My hg!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2007 9:03:00 AM More reviews by vtmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this product for 4 months. I am 49 years old, oily, and have been acne-prone most of my life - especially around my chin and lower face. I had tried absolutely everything to clear my face, prescription and OTC, expensive and cheap. Nothing touched it. I finally got my family doctor to write me a script for this (getting an appt. with a derm around here takes an act of congress - a minimum of a 6-month wait). I started with the .025% gel. After about 2 months, I noticed that I was actually pretty clear. I went through 2 monthly cycles with not a single blemish. I then upped my dose to the .05% cream and my skin just continues to get better. This tube will probably last 5-6 months, after which I will up my dose for the last time to the .1%. I am very careful in my application, and always wait at least 30 minutes after washing before I apply. I use it around my eyes (crow's feet area) and on my neck as well. Last week, I actually had 2 people in one day tell me I had beautiful skin - I almost fainted! From a personal perspective, I don't delude myself into thinking my skin is flawless, because it's not - but the blemishes are gone and the texture continues to improve. When I first started using Retin-A, my goal was to be VERY patient and give it 6 months to show improvement. At the end of 6 months I was going to turn 50, and at that time I would reevaluate. No need - I plan on using this stuff forever.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2007 2:45:00 PM More reviews by diana6

I'm reviewing this as an acne treatment:

It did absolutely nothing for me. It just made my skin dry, red, and peeling, which looked worse than the acne itself!

However, I will say that my mother has used this for anti-ageing and really likes it. So at least someone got some use out of it!

The only things that have ever worked for me are:
- witch hazel toner (a miracle!)
- eating lots of oatmeal, fruits and vegetables
- Omega 3 fish oil vitamins
- the aspirin mask!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2007 9:15:00 AM More reviews by ginaj319

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am 43 and have been using this product (.05 cream) for 30 years. A few times, I used the gel at the lower concentration but I found the gel form to be more irritating and drying. Because I started Retin A during my teenage years when my skin was oilier, I never had any major negative side-effects other than the occasional flaking/light peeling about every 5 weeks (lightly buff skin with clean washrag every night). I started using it for acne (to prevent it) but now use it for both preventing acne and for fight wrinkles/maintain collagen. It must be working; even my physicians think I am around 33 years old and do not believe that I've never had plastic surgery. I have no visible pores, good skin texture, and great coloration. Very infrequently, I get a small break-out; but during times when I've forgotten to renew my prescription, within a few days, my skin starts to break out. So be aware that once you start using it, you may need to keep using it for as long as I.

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2007 1:39:00 AM More reviews by Brandyc

Been using on and off for about 12 years. It works great.. the only thing that really clears my pores. I can't use it daily.. I have combo skin and it dries me out and enhances imperfections when I have makeup on. Otherwise, I'd rub it on everynight.. but I can't. It's very drying. I use it as more of a spot treatment in my bad areas. Every 3 days or so, I will rub everywhere.. but again, that is drying but it's all my skin can tolerate. But, keeps me clear.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2007 9:17:00 AM More reviews by 44040

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Been using this for 20 years, insurance pays for it--they don't know that I don't have acne.
This is the best product out there for anti-aging but don't expect instant results.
One thing I wish I had done was use it on my neck and chest too. So that's what I'm trying now for about 4 months--just listen to your skin, if it itches, stop and use some neutral moisturiser for a day or two ( I like CeRave but I'll use vaseline in a pinch)
I stay out of the sun and don't use anything if I'm inside all day, if I'm going to do a lot of driving or playing with grandchildren, I like Blue Lizard.
Do not use retin a on your lips, they are a different sort of skin, do use it on around your eyes.
Retin A .1%
Retin a will not address skin sagging issues, this is what the injectibles and botox are for.
I never want to have a facelift so far , so good!
Exercise. I usually do something different everyday, ne day Pilates, next weights, cardio etc
BTW-I'm older than dirt.

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2007 1:48:00 PM More reviews by RaquellaDeVille

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i freaking love Retin-A. It seriously took me years to be able to use this product more than once or twice a week. But in the past year, I really forced myself to be diligent with applying at least every other day...and my skin has NEVER looked more amazing. I have NO break outs anymore. And I mean NONE, not even a tiny red blemish. And my skin is even toned and glowing and smooth and bright. I wake up in the morning and see the skin I want to see. I don't even need concealer anymore. My skin just looks HEALTHY.

For people who hate the negative side effects of Retin-A...I found something that REALLY works for me.

I started using Cetaphil's Moisturizing Cream (the thick kind that comes in a tub) along with Retin-A, and I have ZERO problems with dryness (really). When I first started using Retin-A the peeling was so disgusting and bad that people would point it out. It was embarrassing and I felt ugly all the time. So I quit, and I just recently started back up. I decided to go about it a different way. Every night I wash my face with a gentle cleanser. Then I apply a generous layer of the Cetaphil cream and wait an hour or two for my skin's natural protective oils to build up. THEN, I put on the Retin-A.

In the morning, I wash my face again. And I put on the Cetaphil. After the Cetaphil cream I put on a layer of Neutrogena Dry Touch sunblock. My face will be a little greasy, but it's nothing a few swipes of powder won't fix. It is best to NOT use a sunblock that is even slightly greasy, because along with the Cetaphil you would have a big greasy mess on your face.

I am astonished that this works so well...I am actually able to use Retin-A and still look decent this way. I have extremely sensitive skin and feared I wouldn't be able to use Retin-A, but now I can, and I have VERY little dryness.

So, here are my Retin-A tips for people that are having problems with it.

1.) Only apply Retin-A twice a week initially. I apply it Sundays and Thursdays.
2.) Use it at night only.
3.) Before applying the product, wash the face with a gentle cleanser and spread on some Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. Then wait an hour or two.
4.) Apply more Cetaphil in the morning before your sunblock, and use powder to "degrease."

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2007 11:37:00 AM More reviews by itsgail

Well I came on here to write a glowing review, but what's the point when it's all been said?
Just wanted to add my name to all those who recognise this fantastic godsend. Hurrah!!
(hope I can get it forever, at the moment I get it on prescription...is it really true you can buy it OTC in France?? wow!)