April 21, 2014 | 950 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2006 11:47:00 PM More reviews by northdakota84

I use this on my hair about every other week. I moved to a new town to go to grad school, and I guess my hair doesn't like the water here (I hear there's a lot of calcium in it?). For a while it was just dull and dry, even though I use a clarifying shampoo once a week and deep condition twice a week. I thought maybe I just needed a trim, but even that didn't help. Then my mom told me that our old hairdresser had once told her to just wash her hair with baking soda. It clarifies and balances the pH of your hair. I was a little skeptical, but decided to try it anyway. I have to use kind of a lot because my hair is pretty long and thick. I just put gobs of it in my hair and massage it around, then rinse it out and follow with my regular shampoo and conditioner (JF Brilliant Brunette), although sometimes I do use a deep conditioner instead of my usual. I was really amazed by the results. My hair was soft, shiny, and silky the next day. It did way more than even a good hot oil treatment. Who would have thought? Now I use it about every other week to keep my hair balanced and happy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2006 9:26:00 PM More reviews by CaliBello

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wow another great find from MUAers and for once this is going to save me a ton of money. I am now using baking soda as my body and face scrub. I keep it in a container that is easier to pour it out of. I sprinkle some in my hands and smooth all over. It works greats to exfolliate and I have not found it to be too harsh or drying. I mix it with my cleaner for my face and I can't believe how it compares to some pertty expensives facial scrubs I have been using. YAY!

PS When I wrote this review the price rating was 1.5, I can't imagine anyone rating this more than "dirt cheap." I'm paying 59 cents for a 1lb box, it doesn't get any cheaper than that!!!

UPDATE: This became difficult to use because I was afraid wet baking soda was sitting around growing bacteria. I prefer aspirin as a scrub.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2006 9:51:00 PM More reviews by auburn420

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this as a facial scrub. I just wet my face and then put some baking soda in my palm and use by itself. I quit using it for a couple weeks and I can really see the difference... my face has been flaking like crazy.

It's also great to soak in the tub. Just makes the water feel so soft.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2006 12:55:00 PM More reviews by reneek74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My dermatologist freaked out when I told him I heard Baking Soda could be used as a face exfoliant. He even requested (and I gave him) Paula Beugoun (sps) website so he could follow up. He told me *keep in mind this is MY experience and I am sure other derms. may/may not agree* that using baking soda as an exfoliant can break down the moisture barrier (or something to that effect) and harm your skin.

I will have a follow up with him in a couple months and I will post if he heard back or any further info he may have.*

*again, this is merely MY experience- hey, if it works for you, I say go for it. :)

EDIT 1/20/2008- I am late to report this as this has been mentioned- but Paula has *finally* retracted her baking soda advice. Thank heavens! She never responded to me or my doc, but obviously someone got through to her. Note to Paula- I hear your products are wonderful (esp. your BHA liquid), but next time you want to give advice about home remedies that involve chemicals, check it out first with a real dermatologist, okay? ;) This is just like the time I read some crazy ex-model on tv recommending powder bleach (you know, the kitchen kind) to whiten your teeth!

FOLLOW UP 5/2007- I should have posted earlier- I had my 6 month follow up with my derm. and asked him about this. To date- he has NOT heard back from Paula B or any of her reps. I have also personally sent emails to her CS- and have not heard back. During our visit he told me he stands by his "don't you dare use Baking Soda as an exfoliant" statement; and since this was the man who found the solution to my cystic acne, I will take his word for it. And he so eloquently put it like this "Don't you use baking soda to take out foul odors in your fridge? Why on earth would you put that on your face???"

So as I said before: to readers who swear by this treatment- I say, it's your face and if it works, that is great; I am merely relaying information I have received from a doctor. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2006 8:10:00 AM More reviews by caca102

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've tried a few microdermabrasion home kits (L'oreal, Dermanew) and baking soda is just as good, if not better. The grains are small and really deep clean you skin, and it also seems to desolve the dirt and dead skin from your skin. I am amazed. I use it at least every other day, either mixing it with water to make a paste or with a facial cleanser as other reviewers suggested (which gives a cremier consistency). As with all scrubs, those with sensitive or dry skin need to be careful. It works very well for me and I'm not going to buy scrub in a store anymore!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2006 12:48:00 AM More reviews by fes_fsa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

it's no secret that baking soda can be used as a beauty product. since it's a gentle abrasive, you can use it to polish pretty much anything from skin, to teeth, to metal. i see that just about every single person here uses it as a face scrub. that works... but i also want to inform fellow beauty afficionadas that baking soda is probably the best item you can own if you're on a budget and still want to splurge on high end cleansers/shampoos. i've noticed from my using it around the house and on myself that it boosts the power of the detergents in your products without harming the quality of what you're cleaning by softening, yet alkalizing the water, but at the same time, without leaving any residue.does your favorite shampoo build up in your hair? do you have to shampoo twice? or use a clarifying shampoo that you hate? using a product twice that doesn't clean well the first time is just as much, if not more, of a waste of money as buying extra products that you don't like using. when my hair is greasy, or my scalp is breaking out, from product build up, i take the shampoo i LOVE and mix it with baking soda to form a thin, runny paste. you have to massage your scalp thoroughly (I MEAN THROROUGHLY) and smooth it down the length of your hair. then rinse your hair. it will feel extremely clean and because the water is softened in your hair, your conditioner works better too. i don't do this every single time i shower, but there are times when my schedule is so demanding that half a week will go by without me taking a shower, and i still only have to wash my hair once to get it clean.the same thing goes for body washes. for those of us who prefer wash cloths, but use poufs because cloths cause you to use too much product: you can use baking soda to extend the effectiveness of your body wash, while using the same amount of body wash on your wash cloth as you would a pouf. just mix baking soda with your body wash to form a runny paste and smear it on your wash cloth. it doesn't lather as much as it would with a pouf, but you get just as clean, if not cleaner, and your skin gets exfoliated better. continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2006 4:31:00 PM More reviews by Squeezeweasel

I've been using this scrub (a teaspoon mixed with a little water and Cetaphil) for just over a month now, twice a week in the bath. At first, my skin went through the most hellacious purge, and I ended up with several zits. I persevered, though, having noticed much more even colour, smaller pores and softer skin. I'm glad I did; after a few weeks to adjust, my skin (oily/flaky combo, with flakes in the oily bits) is probably the best it's ever been. No zits, no flakes, wonderfully smooth (my husband asked whether I'd bought a new moisturiser) and even toned.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2006 10:00:00 AM More reviews by aki30

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After trying all the wierd and wondrful ideas here i even tried the soda! it sounded so good, so promising, could it be true!? no it couldnt. I tried this twice, mixed a fair amount of soda with my super mild face wash, scrubbed for a few minutes and rinsed off. My skin wasnt irritated and I did notice slightly brighter and smoother skin, but that was either an optical illusion (it probably does whiten the skin) or totaly superficial because 10 minutes later my skin looked normal if not tired. I am also sure that there is some truth in the warnings about the harshness of soda and I would recommend you dont experiment with your face, i guess we all have the wish that some ordinary household ingredient is an undiscovered miracle product but it will stay a dream..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2006 1:48:00 AM More reviews by robotica77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love to use this for all sorts of things, from a facial scrub to an eco-friendly bathroom cleaner. There are many uses listed on the Arm&Hammer website. It's dirt cheap and a box could last a long time. I do find the box a little annoying to use in the shower, so I transferred some of the baking soda to a small covered salt shaker with big holes. That way it is waterproof and does not get moist from the shower. I keep a box in my fridge and the bathroom and it works great on odors (could sprinkle some in shoes as well). This is a HG scrub for my face as it cleans and makes pores smaller and my skin soft & smooth. I do not add it with cleanser as this can cause a chemical reaction, so I just use 2 parts baking soda to one part water, rinse and use a mild cleanser afterwards.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2006 1:49:00 AM More reviews by sillysassy

This is great for a gentle exfoliant. I mix this in with any of my cleansers and it does a wonderful job of turning it into an exfoliant as well. Cheap as chips!