July 28, 2014 | 1047 users online

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2007 12:05:00 PM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used this for awhile, I love how "fine" the texture is when mixed with my cleanser. However, after I had completed my weekly home facial, my face was burned -- like a really bad sunburn that lasted for almost two hours (quite frightening at the time). So with trial and error, I finally realized it was the baking soda that was burning my face. I found out later that our skin is acid and baking soda is very alkaline -- and that's the problem. I used the Arm and Hammer Baking Soda Detergent for years, and then developed a reaction to that as well. So I think over time, baking sode is probably not a very good idea. Try PTR if you are looking for a gentle scrub.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2007 7:24:00 PM More reviews by bubbie1

I do like using baking soda as a scrub and used it for years but I also like to use plain old sugar as a scrub. Just make sure you don't get it too wet or it melts away. I will also try the baking soda as a prewash because a precious reviewer raved about.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2006 11:33:00 PM More reviews by suz_Roberts

Baking soda and water is a great alkalizing mixture for your face.
I applied it - 1 tsp in hand with some water, and splashed my face with it.
It dries up the oilyness.
As an exfoliant, make a paste with water, or add something goey like aloe vera or glycerin or oil, to make it less abrasive.

You can also add a bit to your cleanser for a 2 in 1 product!

GREAT for excessively oily skin!

This is wonderful to use in combination with any of the AHAs or BHA treatments either at home or professional grade.

2 parts baking soda
1 part water or aloe vera
3 drops essential oil of your choice

From another website:
The best skin exfoliant on the market is good old-fashioned baking soda. It is gentle enough to use on sensitive skin (weekly), and works wonders for those suffering from acne (twice a week). Most importantly, it rinses off beautifully, with no film or scent left behind. Just sprinkle some in your hand and add enough water to make a paste. Simple and inexpensive.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2006 4:54:00 PM More reviews by CoconutBreeze

I can't say I have ever used baking soda on my face, but I do know that using it on toothpaste makes for a great white smile. I don't use this anymore, but I have tried it many times in the past. It adds that extra white to any toothpaste you use. The tastes is awful though, so don't add too much. It becomes chalky and hard to stand after awhile, so be sure to wash your mouth out really well after brushing your teeth. This does leave your teeth sparkling and fresh afterwards. This is a tip that everyone knows though, so this isn't any new treatment or anything like that. It works, so try it for yourself. It's cheap, and a box of this lasts forever.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/20/2006 2:18:00 AM More reviews by ingiepop

The first time I used baking soda as a scrub, I loved the results. It was gentle, easy to rinse off, and my skin felt so soft and smooth. By the next morning, however, my face was itchy and slightly red. By the end of the day, I had little red bumps on my cheeks and forehead, and ended up with a minor rash that took about a week to clear up. Baking soda is very alkaline, which can cause major irritation, rashes, and breakouts. I know it's cheap and easy, but I think in the long run, even if you don't have a noticeable bad reaction, it's just not a good thing to put on your face. Jojoba spheres or polyethylene beads are a much better gentle alternative for scrubs, and most formulations containing them are ph-balanced. Applying alkaline products to the skin is just a bad idea.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2006 11:04:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall:5

Price: 1 (CHEEEEAAPPP!!!)

buy again?: Yes!

I had heard many many times that using baking soda was a great way to get mild exfoliation; but, I had a facial scrub I liked at the moment, so I didn't feel the need to try something new (Totally Juicy limon cleanser+scrub)

I have pretty good skin, but lately, I've found that even after washing, even though my skin feels clean, it still feels like it's got gunk in it or something. So, tonight in the shower, I decided I'd try using baking soda.

WOW. Wow. It's great! Baking soda is so incredibly fine and gentle, and it was able to get rid of that "gunky" feeling I had in my skin! My face felt so incredibly smooth, and looked (more) even. I used it with just water, but not just on my face; I tried it on my arms and chest also, with good results.

I will probably only do this once or twice a week, as it may end up drying my skin with too much usage. HG!!! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2006 11:47:00 PM More reviews by northdakota84

I use this on my hair about every other week. I moved to a new town to go to grad school, and I guess my hair doesn't like the water here (I hear there's a lot of calcium in it?). For a while it was just dull and dry, even though I use a clarifying shampoo once a week and deep condition twice a week. I thought maybe I just needed a trim, but even that didn't help. Then my mom told me that our old hairdresser had once told her to just wash her hair with baking soda. It clarifies and balances the pH of your hair. I was a little skeptical, but decided to try it anyway. I have to use kind of a lot because my hair is pretty long and thick. I just put gobs of it in my hair and massage it around, then rinse it out and follow with my regular shampoo and conditioner (JF Brilliant Brunette), although sometimes I do use a deep conditioner instead of my usual. I was really amazed by the results. My hair was soft, shiny, and silky the next day. It did way more than even a good hot oil treatment. Who would have thought? Now I use it about every other week to keep my hair balanced and happy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2006 9:26:00 PM More reviews by CaliBello

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wow another great find from MUAers and for once this is going to save me a ton of money. I am now using baking soda as my body and face scrub. I keep it in a container that is easier to pour it out of. I sprinkle some in my hands and smooth all over. It works greats to exfolliate and I have not found it to be too harsh or drying. I mix it with my cleaner for my face and I can't believe how it compares to some pertty expensives facial scrubs I have been using. YAY!

PS When I wrote this review the price rating was 1.5, I can't imagine anyone rating this more than "dirt cheap." I'm paying 59 cents for a 1lb box, it doesn't get any cheaper than that!!!

UPDATE: This became difficult to use because I was afraid wet baking soda was sitting around growing bacteria. I prefer aspirin as a scrub.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2006 9:51:00 PM More reviews by auburn420

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this as a facial scrub. I just wet my face and then put some baking soda in my palm and use by itself. I quit using it for a couple weeks and I can really see the difference... my face has been flaking like crazy.

It's also great to soak in the tub. Just makes the water feel so soft.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2006 12:55:00 PM More reviews by reneek74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My dermatologist freaked out when I told him I heard Baking Soda could be used as a face exfoliant. He even requested (and I gave him) Paula Beugoun (sps) website so he could follow up. He told me *keep in mind this is MY experience and I am sure other derms. may/may not agree* that using baking soda as an exfoliant can break down the moisture barrier (or something to that effect) and harm your skin.

I will have a follow up with him in a couple months and I will post if he heard back or any further info he may have.*

*again, this is merely MY experience- hey, if it works for you, I say go for it. :)

EDIT 1/20/2008- I am late to report this as this has been mentioned- but Paula has *finally* retracted her baking soda advice. Thank heavens! She never responded to me or my doc, but obviously someone got through to her. Note to Paula- I hear your products are wonderful (esp. your BHA liquid), but next time you want to give advice about home remedies that involve chemicals, check it out first with a real dermatologist, okay? ;) This is just like the time I read some crazy ex-model on tv recommending powder bleach (you know, the kitchen kind) to whiten your teeth!

FOLLOW UP 5/2007- I should have posted earlier- I had my 6 month follow up with my derm. and asked him about this. To date- he has NOT heard back from Paula B or any of her reps. I have also personally sent emails to her CS- and have not heard back. During our visit he told me he stands by his "don't you dare use Baking Soda as an exfoliant" statement; and since this was the man who found the solution to my cystic acne, I will take his word for it. And he so eloquently put it like this "Don't you use baking soda to take out foul odors in your fridge? Why on earth would you put that on your face???"

So as I said before: to readers who swear by this treatment- I say, it's your face and if it works, that is great; I am merely relaying information I have received from a doctor. :)