Baking Soda

Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

on 3/13/2007 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Baking Soda is the best, gentlest, cheapest scrub out there. Mix a little with your cleanser and VOILA...beautiful skin. I used to break out a LOT and since using this, my skin has cleared up 99%. I use it along with Apple Cider Vinegar (diluted with water) as a toner. Best thing I have tried- and i have probably spent THOUSANDS of dollars on products. Who knew the key to great skin was in my kitchen cupboard this whole time!

on 2/10/2007 10:50:00 AM

This is the best kept secret of skincare. It's cheap and super effective. I have acne prone skin and this makes it so smooth and soft! My skin actually glows after I use this. Others have suggested ways to apply this so I won't get into that. This has a permanent spot in my skincare routine, nothing I've used has been as effective and yet gentle and affordable as baking soda. Highly recommended!!

on 2/3/2007 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

You're freakin' kidding me, right? After all the time, effort and money I have spent trying to tame my tempremental skin, the thing that whips it into shape is baking soda?? I get great results with a teaspoon of B.S. mixed with a few drops of water to make a paste, which I massage gently only my face for a few seconds before rinsing with cool water. I am left with skin that is glassy smooth and glowing, and pores so clean they look like they've been vaccuumed. My skin is generally very good, but it has a tendency to go mental at my time of the month - since I've been using the baking soda twice a week, it's well behaved all month round, and I haven't had a pimple -even a tiny one- in weeks.

Downsides - it is drying, but that's easily sorted out by using a richer moisturiser. It also makes my skin a bit red for a few minutes after cleansing, but it goes away as soon as I tone and moisturise. One lippie off because of these problems, but otherwise highly recommended. I'm going to experiment with mixing it with cleansers or oil or something as the other reviewers recommend, and see if that ups my rating to a five. continued >>

I was amazed at how happy I was with using this as an exfoliant! I mixed it with Cetaphil and it made for the cleanest, gentlest facial scrub I've ever used. I applied moisturizer right afterward and now my face is incredibly soft and smoother-looking. This seems to work really well for people with sensitive skin because it's very mild.

on 1/21/2007 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I used this for awhile, I love how "fine" the texture is when mixed with my cleanser. However, after I had completed my weekly home facial, my face was burned -- like a really bad sunburn that lasted for almost two hours (quite frightening at the time). So with trial and error, I finally realized it was the baking soda that was burning my face. I found out later that our skin is acid and baking soda is very alkaline -- and that's the problem. I used the Arm and Hammer Baking Soda Detergent for years, and then developed a reaction to that as well. So I think over time, baking sode is probably not a very good idea. Try PTR if you are looking for a gentle scrub.

on 1/20/2007 7:24:00 PM

I do like using baking soda as a scrub and used it for years but I also like to use plain old sugar as a scrub. Just make sure you don't get it too wet or it melts away. I will also try the baking soda as a prewash because a precious reviewer raved about.

on 12/16/2006 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Baking soda and water is a great alkalizing mixture for your face.
I applied it - 1 tsp in hand with some water, and splashed my face with it.
It dries up the oilyness.
As an exfoliant, make a paste with water, or add something goey like aloe vera or glycerin or oil, to make it less abrasive.

You can also add a bit to your cleanser for a 2 in 1 product!

GREAT for excessively oily skin!

This is wonderful to use in combination with any of the AHAs or BHA treatments either at home or professional grade.

2 parts baking soda
1 part water or aloe vera
3 drops essential oil of your choice

From another website:
The best skin exfoliant on the market is good old-fashioned baking soda. It is gentle enough to use on sensitive skin (weekly), and works wonders for those suffering from acne (twice a week). Most importantly, it rinses off beautifully, with no film or scent left behind. Just sprinkle some in your hand and add enough water to make a paste. Simple and inexpensive.

on 12/12/2006 4:54:00 PM

I can't say I have ever used baking soda on my face, but I do know that using it on toothpaste makes for a great white smile. I don't use this anymore, but I have tried it many times in the past. It adds that extra white to any toothpaste you use. The tastes is awful though, so don't add too much. It becomes chalky and hard to stand after awhile, so be sure to wash your mouth out really well after brushing your teeth. This does leave your teeth sparkling and fresh afterwards. This is a tip that everyone knows though, so this isn't any new treatment or anything like that. It works, so try it for yourself. It's cheap, and a box of this lasts forever.

on 11/20/2006 2:18:00 AM

The first time I used baking soda as a scrub, I loved the results. It was gentle, easy to rinse off, and my skin felt so soft and smooth. By the next morning, however, my face was itchy and slightly red. By the end of the day, I had little red bumps on my cheeks and forehead, and ended up with a minor rash that took about a week to clear up. Baking soda is very alkaline, which can cause major irritation, rashes, and breakouts. I know it's cheap and easy, but I think in the long run, even if you don't have a noticeable bad reaction, it's just not a good thing to put on your face. Jojoba spheres or polyethylene beads are a much better gentle alternative for scrubs, and most formulations containing them are ph-balanced. Applying alkaline products to the skin is just a bad idea.

on 11/10/2006 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Overall:5

Price: 1 (CHEEEEAAPPP!!!)

buy again?: Yes!

I had heard many many times that using baking soda was a great way to get mild exfoliation; but, I had a facial scrub I liked at the moment, so I didn't feel the need to try something new (Totally Juicy limon cleanser+scrub)

I have pretty good skin, but lately, I've found that even after washing, even though my skin feels clean, it still feels like it's got gunk in it or something. So, tonight in the shower, I decided I'd try using baking soda.

WOW. Wow. It's great! Baking soda is so incredibly fine and gentle, and it was able to get rid of that "gunky" feeling I had in my skin! My face felt so incredibly smooth, and looked (more) even. I used it with just water, but not just on my face; I tried it on my arms and chest also, with good results.

I will probably only do this once or twice a week, as it may end up drying my skin with too much usage. HG!!! continued >>

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products