July 22, 2014 | 2271 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2005 3:18:00 PM More reviews by f_bellman

I have very acne-prone, red skin with old acne scars on my cheeks. Before, I would either cover the scars with concealer or I would use True Blend foundation (which did absolutely nothing, by the way). I bought Colorstay on a whim and for the most part I love it! It evens out my skintone (no more redness!), covers my acne scars (with a little help from the Colorstay concealer), and gives me a bright glow. However, it is pretty thick (I think I'm going to hurry up and buy the Stay Natural next!). I also HATE the packaging: my bottle looks like a complete mess! Pretty expensive for a drugstore brand; I think it's $12 regularly priced at CVS. I am definitely running out to the stores to snatch this stuff up before it's off the shelves for good.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/23/2005 5:41:00 PM More reviews by jellybean36

First off, let me start off by saying that i absolutely adore revlon colosrstay stay natural. This one is quite a bit thicker and not as good. It can provide great coverage but it's rather thick so sometimes the face looks a bit chalky. The finish is slightly too matte for my taste. It does tend to make your complexion look *perfect* ie. no uneven tones etc but it sompromises a bit on naturalness. A plus is that the foundation stays on all day without wearing off. However it gives off a slightly chemical smell (maybe it's just me) and I hate open mouth bottles because they become all drippy.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2005 10:05:00 AM More reviews by urban_chic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If Revlon discontinues this, I think I'm going to cry! It's one of the best, and last, ultra-matte stay-put foundations left on the market that I can rely on to cover my acne scars and look pretty much matte for most of the day. It's VERY thick, of course, and tends to look kinda chalky if I apply it wrong, but if I take the time to apply it, it can look pretty stunning! In terms of the shades, try to choose a shade that's only a TAD bit lighter than your skintone since it looks like a mud mask if you're wearing a shade that's too dark for your skintone. I found Buff and Sand Beige to be the only "neutralish" shades that work for me...the rest of the light shades look too pink or peachy! I seriously hope that Revlon doesn't discontinue this, but I would like to see newer, more neutral, shades.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2005 9:03:00 PM More reviews by keavy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

good stuff for a drugstore brand ! it has great staying power and nice coverage ! but not so good for sensitive skin

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2005 5:37:00 PM More reviews by heyannette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

DESCRIPTION OF ME ~ Light yellowy/olive complexion with a tendency to get redness on my cheeks and around my nose. MAC C3/NC30. Large pores, oily and prone to blackheads and occasional acne. Mid-thirties, some sun damage, (melasma) and fine creases on my forehead.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION~ 1 fl oz (30 ml) Liquid foundation formulated for oily/combination skin types. Company line - "oil free shine control, wonít rub off, feels comfortable". I paid $16 CAD on sale at Shopperís Drugs (regular $18.99 CAD pretty darn steep for a drugstore foundation), at www.drugstore.com itís $12.99 US

PACKAGING~ Glass bottle, screw top without a pump. I still donít understand why they wouldnít develop a pump or squeeze tube for this foundation.

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE~ Creamy, thick liquid foundation.

APPLICATION~ Wow, this stuff is a lot easier to apply than the previous version. You actually have time to blend before it sets. Iím using a Taklon brush then a Jane Iredale flocked sponge to buff it in and am very pleased with the results.

FINISH~ The finish is semi-matte but not cakey like itís predecessor. It actually doesnít set before I add a finishing powder. Which is just fine by me because I find a foundation that sets rock hard usually doesnít look very natural and cakes up.

COVERAGE~ If I use a brush or fingers, I can get medium to full coverage. It builds well and is easy to work with for more coverage in some areas like my cheeks where I need to cover melasma. It does need to be built up for full coverage and it doesn't cover as well as the previous version but with some practice, it can be layered and in the end, looks far more natural. I pat it on and try not to blend too much on areas that need extra coverage, surprisingly this works well. This foundation has an amazing ability to meld into my skin tone and texture.

STAYING POWER~ With a good dusting of finishing powder it lasts all day without fail. It lasts as well, if not better, than the previous version without the nasty separating on my face. It looks better as the day wears, Iím touching up less often than I used to with the previous version.

SCENT~ It still smells like paint but not strongly. The scent totally fades and is not noticeable after it sets.

COLOUR~ I have tried high-end (Armani, Chanel, Trucco, Shiseido) and Revlon is right up there with the high-end in foundation shades. The Sand Beige shade matches my neck perfectly, my face is more the Buff shade so I mix the two so my face matches my neck. Revlon is the only drugstore brand of foundation I can do the swipe test on my jaw line with and it actually disappears.

OVERALL~ Iíve used this everyday for 2 months plus now so with confidence I can say this foundation is a great replacement for the regular ColorStay foundation, just a great foundation in general. Iím not breaking out, it doesnít irritate my skin, it covers well has a more natural finish and is way easier to apply. My skin is sensitive and yes this foundation does contain alcohol but it doesnít contain other irritants like silica, chemical sunscreen or bismuth so itís the best I can find for my finicky skin type. Also, it contains no talc so it's a lot like a liquid mineral foundation than a traditional liquid.

August 2006 Update. So I have bought replacements and the SoftFlex formula without text on the caps is different than the first SoftFlex version. It is thicker and covers far better than the previous, they have tweaked it to be more like the old ColorStay but it is still better. Better shades and doesnít dry as quickly, although more quickly than the first SoftFlex version. Kudos to Revlon, they really seem to listen to their customers, a lot of use complained that the SoftFlex versions didnít cover as well.

Thank you Seclusae2 giving me permission to use your great reviewing format.

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 7.3%

Inactive Ingredients: Aqua Eau (Water), Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, SD Alcohol 40B, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Nylon 12, Tribehenin, Isododecane, Polyisobutene, Sodium Chloride, Cetyl PEG/PPG - 10/1 Dimethicone, Bisabolol, Serica (Silk Powder), Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Malva Silvestris Extract (Mallow), Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract (Lily), Lactobacillus/Eridictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum Flower Extract, Alumina, Polydimethylsiloxane/Polymethysilesquioxane Copolymer, Ethylene Brassylate, Methicone, Trisiloxane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May contain: Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499) continued >>

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2005 2:06:00 PM More reviews by ahappyplace

I can't believe I found a color match in a drugstore foundation! I've been using Aromaleigh mineral foundation for the last couple of months, but the coverage and lasting power weren't really satisfactory. I think I was just thrilled I had found a powder foundation pale enough for me (NC 15 is too dark). I've picked up a bottle of Colorstay a few times when makeup shopping but the palest shade (Ivory) always looked so pink! Last night I said, what the hell, it's BOGOF, so I grabbed a bottle of this and a gorgeous cream blush (Rosy Glow). I LOVE THIS STUFF. I didn't get the cakey, masky results that others complained about, but I did use my Olay microdermabrasion and peel last night, and I used a somewhat glowy moisturizer before applying (Clean & Clear Morning Burst). I worked in small sections and only used a dab of foundation on a sponge per section. It looks fabulous! Perfect coverage, awesome color match (this NEVER happens), satiny finish (I think my moisturizer definitely makes a difference). The only negs are the bottle and the price, which I think is a bit much for drugstore. All in all, potential HG! We'll see if I break out. EDIT: I did not break out, but started to really notice a pink tinge to this foundation, especially in bathroom lighting...too bad, because I really liked the formulation. =( continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2005 3:10:00 PM More reviews by talkaboutaddiction

Well Ladies this is just a FYI! If you love this stuff along with Almay Amazing LAsting you better stock up since it is being d/c'd and being replaced with "soft flex" which SUCKS (see review) I think the era of long last full coverage matte fndts is finally comming to an end. So if you dont have near perfect skin (ME ME ME!!!) then you better find a really good acne cure! I am really mad about the whole thing! lol EDIT:
    Contacted REvlon and this IS being phased out but is replaced with the Colorstay Soft Flex ( damn it SUCKS!!!) so if you ask them and they say it's NOT being d/c'd it's because they "technically" still have it but it has been "tampered with"

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2005 9:42:00 PM More reviews by sed484

I LOVE this foundation!! The coverage it provides leaves your skin looking absolutely flawless!! It looks natural and beautiful. People say it can be hard to work with, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. I just dot this foundation all over my face and then blend it with a sponge. I have very oily skin and this foundation leaves your skin matte ALL day long (I don't even have to touch up with powder during the day!). Also, it really doesn't come off until you want it to! Some reviewers have noted that it can leave your skin a little tacky feeling. I think this is wonderful because the tackiness causes it to really *hold* on to blush and eyeshadow making them last ALL day! Also, people say that this foundation is hard to remove at night, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I have used many cleansers with this foundation: Oil of Olay, Neutrogena, Dove, and Aveeno and ALL of them removed this foundation. Completely! I use a toner after cleansing and I have never seen any streaks of foundation which would mean I hadn't washed it all off. I don't use a washcloth or anything either....I just rub the cleanser onto my face with my fingers.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2005 4:51:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Am in the process of finding a decent (read: lasts all day, is believable/natural-looking, has medium-to-full coverage) concealer and read several reviews below that mentioned using this foundation as a concealer with good results. So, I hied myself to the drugstore and got this in "Sand Beige"--the color looked a little too dark in the bottle, but keeping in mind the warnings about this product, I knew that it would apply lighter. Fortunately, most of the Colorstay shades appeared very neutral (not too yellow or pink or orange) and there is a good range of "beiges" (one of them is usually my Revlon color).

I have not tried to use this as a foundation since I prefer lighter, sheerer coverage for larger areas (usually a tinted moisturizer). I only need spot coverage for a few darkish acne marks/discolorations and around my eyes and nose. This stuff works great for that purpose. Much better than the Max Factor Pan-Stik I was using before. The texture is a creamy liquid, a bit thick (reminds me of Maybelline Everfresh, which I used in my teenage years to cover up zits). It does dry out rather quickly but I actually prefer that as the thicker texture makes it easier to use this as a concealer (unlike the too-slippery feeling of the Pan-Stik). I dot a tiny bit of this on and blend carefully with my fingers. I layer if I need more coverage. It looks pretty good, not cakey (though it can become so if I'm not careful about blending) and covers everything without looking obvious. I always make sure to use this on moisturized skin, though--makes it easier to blend and prevents this from emphasizing tiny flakes, etc.

The packaging is not user- or traveler-friendly as it's a heavy glass bottle. I'd definitely prefer a plastic squeeze tube with a smaller opening. As it is, I just flip the bottle over and then use what's in the cap. There's a slight "foundation" fragrance that I don't mind (I actually sorta enjoy it, oddly enough). I've been using this for the past couple of weeks as a concealer and it has not broken me out or clogged my pores yet--I do make sure to wash my face very thoroughly at night. It's a little pricey for a DG foundation (around 12 USD) but it will last forever the way I'm using it. Would repurchase. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2005 12:57:00 PM More reviews by BluePlanet36

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Applied with a sponge, this foundation has decent coverage that feels lightweight on. Applied by hand, it is hard to blend and too heavy. I do like this foundation though (I have it in Buff, the oil-free version) and will probably repurchase. I wish the packaing were more user-friendly (a pump like the other colorstay) but that is the only fault I have with it. (UPDATE)...Now that I have found ColorStay Natural (which is being discontinued), I use this as a spot concealer and it REALLY sticks. Looks seamless and natural and blends beautifully.