October 24, 2014 | 1873 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2006 12:28:00 AM More reviews by vanillasugardream

A great foundation (old formula, black lid, glass bottle). Normally for oily skin BUT over skincream works perfectly for my combination/dry skin. Blends well for a long-lasting foundation. But, again, that might be because of my usual spf skincream underneath. I love the fact they are yellow-based and not peachy or pink-toned. Very natural-looking while covering up any flaws, evening out complexion, and providing full coverage but not feeling overly heavy. I purchased 2 different shades that are practically identical on the lighter end of the shades. Will purchase more if I come across them. $4 each recently at Big Lots. Score for Revlon CS because this one is non-comodogenic, meaning: it won't clog pores.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2006 1:55:00 AM More reviews by wakeupdonnie4

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My mom, my sister, and I all use this foundation. It's amazing. The new Softflex formula seems to work for my sister and kind of for me, but it makes my mom break out. She's really upset about it, because she's used it since she was about 25 or 30, so about 15 years, and now it makes her break out. 0.o
    I bought a bottle of the regular formula Colorstay from Big Lots for $4 the other day, and I'm tempted to get more from there. It's dirt cheap and it's terrific foundation.
    Damn Revlon for putting softflex so-called technology into it.

P.S. To prevent the masky look, USE ONE OF THOSE TRIANGLE MAKE-UP SPONGES. They help loads. It makes application soooo much faster and easier and more natural looking. <33333333333333333

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2006 5:07:00 PM More reviews by blackviolet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have used this foundation for about 12 years. I always use a round makeup sponge. This makeup can be difficult to fix after you've applied it, and I find that the triangular sponges leave streaks or lines too often.
    I must agree that the old formula stayed longer, but the new formula seems to go on and blend easier. I liked the old formula better, because you didn't have to layer it as much to cover crappy spots, and with the new one you do. Also, the new one seems to look more cakey during the day and in the sunlight than the old one did.
    The new one for dry skin is more moisturizing, and a tad more sheer and "dewy," which doesn't go well with my powder over it. It wears off much much easier. Now I have to wear the one for oily skin, because it has more staying power (even though I have dry skin), and the staying power does NOT match the old one (even though the old one dried me out a little during the day).
    The new one gets horrible in my smile creases, whereas the old formula never did (or maybe I've just gotten older, heh). Some primer helps that. It also depends on the powder you wear over it. Certain powders will make it smoother, and make it virtually waterproof.
    It can sometimes look cakey when you wear it too thick, or with certain powders over it, so I am always looking for a new powder or a new foundation, but I keep returning to this foundation. It never really sweats off or rubs off.
    I think they altered the colors some, because Ivory was way too pale and pink or me, and Buff was a tad too dark, and slightly orangey-beige. To compensate for wearing the Buff, I had to use a powder over it that was too fair. Indoors, I'd look great. In the sunshine I'd be too orange, and in photos, I'm ghostly white. In the new formula, Buff doesn't have the orangey tint, it's just a flat beige undertone, which is better.
    I HATE to touch up makeup during the day. I won't do more than maybe apply a tad more powder and touch up my lipstick. On an average day (5-6 days a week, usually), I wear my makeup about 16 hours a day. I have tried a lot of foundations, and none of them have the staying power this does. I never go without Revlon Colorstay.

As for removing it, the absolute best cleanser I've found thus far is Peter Lamas Citrus C Cleanser. It melts just about anything right off. I get it for about $9, from Food Fight vegan grocery online. (While you're there, buy some Naturebake cookies! The best store bought cookies EVER, and they're vegan!)

I'm going to try the DHC Deep Cleansing Oil.
    continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2006 12:20:00 AM More reviews by mayomi18

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I haven't tried the new formula yet but I love the old one. I don't wear this often because I don't need as much coverage as I once did, but when I have one of those "yuck" days when my skin is just blah... I put this on and voila... beautiful again! :)
    I think this is the best drug store foundation I've come across (and believe me, I tried them all). It lasts all day, doesn't turn orange and the color matches my skin tone perfectly.
    I would say I'd repurchase but I've heard so many bad things about the new formula that I may not.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2006 4:19:00 PM More reviews by shoeboxoftrees

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Oh dear. this product made me break out the worst i've ever had. if you wish to try this, i suggest trying it on a small patch of skin near your temple where it will not be notcible if you have the same results as me.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2006 1:22:00 PM More reviews by MissRiss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The old colorstay without Softflex was the best! It provided very even medium/full coverage for my uneven, ruddy, oily t-zone, sometimes breakout-prone skin. I usually only had to blot and powder at lunchtime and it looked fine the rest of the workday. The new version with softflex does not give as much coverage(in my oilier areas especially). Plus I don't think it stays on as long either (especially on my nose and chin). It's not a bad buy but don't expect a miracle. Maybe the norm/dry one works better than the norm/oily. Give it a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2006 11:05:00 AM More reviews by Alistrand

Why did they tamper with the original colorstay formula? I am giving 5 stars to the old formula of Colorstay foundation NOT THE NEW! Neither the new formulation for dry skin or oily skin even come close to the longevity of the original formula. I am someone with few skin issues but major blotchiness. With the old formula I would put it on in the morning and not worry ALL DAY..even a beach day about that foundation wearing off...it never did. Both new formulas are just your standard foundations without the the long lasting properties that made everyone love the original so much. PLEASE BRING BACK OUR COLORSTAY! and while you are at it...bring back that amazing concealer stick...

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2006 2:57:00 PM More reviews by somethingstupid

I got this for $3.00 at a store called Big Lots. 07 true beige was a little too dark for me so i mixed it with my pure makeup foundation that was too light. I got the perfect color and coverage. This is a good foundation for me but I'm sure theres better out there. I think I may have bought the old one not sold in normal stores [wasnt softflex]. Overall this is a good everyday foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2006 10:54:00 AM More reviews by jautumnw

I've tried both formula's--old and new.
    The new one with the softflex doesn't have the lasting power that the old one has. Plus, the lid on mine broke when I tried to close it too tight. =(
    I ended up throwing it away after a while...the weather was starting to warm up, anyway, so I figured I'd start using the original formula.
    If you use either one, make sure you REALLY get it off when you wash your face.
    I usually just wash with a bar of Dove, and found that one washing wasn't enough! Sometimes two times wasn't enough, either. So I eventually resorted to washing once with Dove, scrubbing my face with a washcloth, and then washing once again with Dove.
    Just a tip--unless you like breakouts. =)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2006 8:25:00 AM More reviews by df1965

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I happen to love this foundation. It goes on OK, a bit tricky to get even, but LASTS a long time. No orangey color after all day. I have tried the new addition to the colorstay foundation, the product where they've added "soft flex"technology and I find it doesn't waer as long as the original product.