September 18, 2014 | 1702 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2006 5:16:00 PM More reviews by ratched1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

Lovely.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2006 6:45:00 PM More reviews by freshmintskittle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've never tried the old formula, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing with the new SoftFlex formula. I'll say that it works better for me than any other foundation I've tried; it doesn't make me break out, it matches my skin tone perfectly (Ivory is my shade), has pretty good coverage, and doesn't feel too heavy. The staying power is pretty good for me... by the afternoon I usually have to powder my forhead, and it tends to wear off where I've layered it over blemishes, but other than that, it's good. However, I probably won't repurchase, because it takes more layering over my blemishes than I'd like, and I've been having to blend it with moisturizer before applying to keep it blendable (and I do blend quickly, but on my fair skin it can look really obvious if not blended really well) and not too powdery, which I don't mind doing every once in a while, but I end up making a gunky mess all over my counter every morning! So, overall, it's a pretty good foundation, but I'm still searching for something more. ;-p

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2006 3:14:00 PM More reviews by Rubberducky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have been using Revlon ColorStay Foundation for over 5 years now and never had a complaint until Revlon in the last year or two decided to become inconsistant with the shades and colors. i usually wear the shade Cappuccino but lately in t he Soft Flex version the color has completely changed. Other than it is very good product, i live in the tropics and this foundation holds up heat and sweat.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2006 3:46:00 PM More reviews by Jods101

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using this foundation for a long time, even the "old" formula. I use the oily/combo formula .I love this stuff and haven't found anything else (I've tried alot!) that I like as much. I think I like the new "Softflex" formula better than the old. It's easier to blend and isn't as dry feeling as the old stuff. It gives buildable coverage (which is great for people like me that love full coverage foundation) But it doesn't feel heavy or cakey. It covers my flaws pretty well and what it doesn't cover (bad dark circles) I use a concealer for. I set it with a little powder and I have no problem with it lasting all day. Even after touching my face here and there all day. It doesn't feel like I have makeup on. I use the lightest color, which is Ivory and it matches my skin tone perfectly. I can't wear foundations with pink undertones so I like that this is more yellow undertoned. It will set after a few minutes but there is plenty of time to blend it. I might keep trying other things but I'll alway's go back to this. (Unless I find my HG foundation. This is as close as I've come to that!)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2006 11:23:00 PM More reviews by ford2M

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

HOW TO REMOVE THE COLORSTAY FOUNDATIONS!

APPLY AN OIL-BASED CLEANSER LIKE POND'S COLD CREAM. Tissue this off and then use your regular cleanser to remove all the oily residue, etc. NOXZEMA does NOT WORK!

YOU CAN EASILY MAKE YOUR OWN CHEAP OIL-BASED CLEANSER:

Combine these two ingredients into a DISPENSER-TYPE bottle--so you can easily pour into your hand:

1 Part Castor Oil (Wal-Mart Pharmacy)
    4 Parts Sunflower Oil, Safflower Oil, or Olive Oil (Oils Section of Grocery)

I had planned to buy Safflower Oil, but they didn't have any at Wal-Mart, so I settled for Sunflower Oil.

Shake before you use and just massage this oil onto your face. I found that if I tissue it off before washing my face, it almost all comes off this way.

I bought some baby washcloths at Wal-Mart (4 for 99 cents). They have a rough side and a smooth side. From previous directions on the oil-cleansing method found here on Makeup Alley, of course, you are supposed to hold the hot wet washcloth on your face until it cools, and then massage your makeup off. Splash your face with cold water.

THIS WAY IS EASIER FOR ME:

First remove your makeup with tissue paper and then soak your face with your washcloth and with your regular cleanser as shown above. I just do it for a few seconds and use the washcloth with my Clean & Clear Oil-Free Foaming Cleanser. It removes all the excess oil from the castor oil and sunflower oil concoction applied at first.

If YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE REMOVING YOUR COLORSTAY MAKEUP WITH YOUR NORMAL CLEANSER, try doing my test on the underside of your arm and see for yourself!

HERE'S HOW I REALIZED MY MISTAKE!

After calling REVLON to find out how to remove my Revlon Colorstay Foundation with Bioflex for Oily Skin, the representative told me to use an "oil based cleanser". She would not recommend even one.

One day I decided to see if different cleansers that I had been using were actually removing my makeup! I applied large patches of my foundation mumerous times to the underside of both arms, allowing it to dry and set after each application.

Here are the different things that I tried that did not work UNLESS I SCRUBBED WITH A WET WASHCLOTH OR ABRASIVE PAD:

Baby Shampoo (This has always removed my eye makeup very well).
    Baby Oil (Mineral Oil)
    Clean & Clear
    Clean & Clear Oil-Free Foaming Facial Makeup Remover
    Clean & Clear Oxygenating Fizzing Cleanser
    Vaseline
    Noxzema (this one was the worst!!)
    St. Ives Makeup Remover & Facial Cleanser for All Skin Types
    Gale Hayman (Beverly Hills) Total Eye Make-Up & Facial Cleanser

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2006 12:28:00 AM More reviews by vanillasugardream

A great foundation (old formula, black lid, glass bottle). Normally for oily skin BUT over skincream works perfectly for my combination/dry skin. Blends well for a long-lasting foundation. But, again, that might be because of my usual spf skincream underneath. I love the fact they are yellow-based and not peachy or pink-toned. Very natural-looking while covering up any flaws, evening out complexion, and providing full coverage but not feeling overly heavy. I purchased 2 different shades that are practically identical on the lighter end of the shades. Will purchase more if I come across them. $4 each recently at Big Lots. Score for Revlon CS because this one is non-comodogenic, meaning: it won't clog pores.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2006 1:55:00 AM More reviews by wakeupdonnie4

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My mom, my sister, and I all use this foundation. It's amazing. The new Softflex formula seems to work for my sister and kind of for me, but it makes my mom break out. She's really upset about it, because she's used it since she was about 25 or 30, so about 15 years, and now it makes her break out. 0.o
    I bought a bottle of the regular formula Colorstay from Big Lots for $4 the other day, and I'm tempted to get more from there. It's dirt cheap and it's terrific foundation.
    Damn Revlon for putting softflex so-called technology into it.

P.S. To prevent the masky look, USE ONE OF THOSE TRIANGLE MAKE-UP SPONGES. They help loads. It makes application soooo much faster and easier and more natural looking. <33333333333333333

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2006 5:07:00 PM More reviews by blackviolet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have used this foundation for about 12 years. I always use a round makeup sponge. This makeup can be difficult to fix after you've applied it, and I find that the triangular sponges leave streaks or lines too often.
    I must agree that the old formula stayed longer, but the new formula seems to go on and blend easier. I liked the old formula better, because you didn't have to layer it as much to cover crappy spots, and with the new one you do. Also, the new one seems to look more cakey during the day and in the sunlight than the old one did.
    The new one for dry skin is more moisturizing, and a tad more sheer and "dewy," which doesn't go well with my powder over it. It wears off much much easier. Now I have to wear the one for oily skin, because it has more staying power (even though I have dry skin), and the staying power does NOT match the old one (even though the old one dried me out a little during the day).
    The new one gets horrible in my smile creases, whereas the old formula never did (or maybe I've just gotten older, heh). Some primer helps that. It also depends on the powder you wear over it. Certain powders will make it smoother, and make it virtually waterproof.
    It can sometimes look cakey when you wear it too thick, or with certain powders over it, so I am always looking for a new powder or a new foundation, but I keep returning to this foundation. It never really sweats off or rubs off.
    I think they altered the colors some, because Ivory was way too pale and pink or me, and Buff was a tad too dark, and slightly orangey-beige. To compensate for wearing the Buff, I had to use a powder over it that was too fair. Indoors, I'd look great. In the sunshine I'd be too orange, and in photos, I'm ghostly white. In the new formula, Buff doesn't have the orangey tint, it's just a flat beige undertone, which is better.
    I HATE to touch up makeup during the day. I won't do more than maybe apply a tad more powder and touch up my lipstick. On an average day (5-6 days a week, usually), I wear my makeup about 16 hours a day. I have tried a lot of foundations, and none of them have the staying power this does. I never go without Revlon Colorstay.

As for removing it, the absolute best cleanser I've found thus far is Peter Lamas Citrus C Cleanser. It melts just about anything right off. I get it for about $9, from Food Fight vegan grocery online. (While you're there, buy some Naturebake cookies! The best store bought cookies EVER, and they're vegan!)

I'm going to try the DHC Deep Cleansing Oil.
    continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2006 12:20:00 AM More reviews by mayomi18

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I haven't tried the new formula yet but I love the old one. I don't wear this often because I don't need as much coverage as I once did, but when I have one of those "yuck" days when my skin is just blah... I put this on and voila... beautiful again! :)
    I think this is the best drug store foundation I've come across (and believe me, I tried them all). It lasts all day, doesn't turn orange and the color matches my skin tone perfectly.
    I would say I'd repurchase but I've heard so many bad things about the new formula that I may not.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2006 4:19:00 PM More reviews by shoeboxoftrees

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Oh dear. this product made me break out the worst i've ever had. if you wish to try this, i suggest trying it on a small patch of skin near your temple where it will not be notcible if you have the same results as me.