September 3, 2014 | 1518 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2011 2:17:00 AM More reviews by nataliearielle

Originally bought for a hair treatment, but it did NOT agree with my hair at all. I didn`t want to waist the tub I bought, because it was $20 - so I started using it as a body moisturizer and stretch mark preventive on my stomach during pregnancy. Now, I will probably use coconut oil as a moisturizer for the rest of my life!!! It`s my beauty secret ;) I`ve looked it up and there are so many benefits, like helping with age marks, sun damage, healing stretch marks, and helping with cellulite! Plus my skin looks so healthy - everyone notices! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2011 4:01:00 PM More reviews by jtblueskies

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I've been using coconut oil for the past half year and I love it! I've tried jojoba oil and olive oil and I broke out using them, but not this one...for some reason. It's more comedogenic than other oils, so if you're acne-prone and get lots of blackheads, this might not be for you! I also recommend testing to see if you break out from it. You might be allergic to it, or maybe it just doesn't suit your skin chemistry :-(
***TIPS***
1) USING IT AS A MOISTURIZER:
--> Coconut oil is solid at room temp, so I warm it up in my palms to liquify it, then lightly pat it onto my face. Use sparingly, bc once it melts, there's more than you think!
--> I sometimes massage it in until the greasiness is gone...massaging anything is good for you (just don't drag on your cheeks or they will sag when you're older), and it helps it absorb into my skin.
--> I prefer this product in the summer, when my skin is oilier. As strange as it sounds, your own sebum is good for you! (It is antibacterial, hydrating, etc...it is dirt and dead skin cells that cause zits!) This locks in the air's humidity and works like an overnight treatment for your skin. BUT if you do this, make sure to wash your pillows more often!
--> During the winter, I prefer a night cream that has a high water content and hyaluronic acid to combat the dryness due to heating. I could but I don't because I distrust having too much of a good thing.
--> When my skin is drier, coconut oil is not good as a hydrator. However, if you want to use it, I recommend pairing it with a water-based serum or even a mineral water spritzer, so it's got something to "lock" in to your skin.
2) WHICH TYPE TO BUY: Use extra virgin cold-pressed CO and make sure it has a strong scent. A lot of brands use fillers or process it even though the label says "all natural"...those can cause breakouts!
3) HOW TO STORE IT: Usually CO comes in large jars, which means you have to dip your hands in it = unhygienic! Store some in a small jar and leave the rest in the fridge. Wash your hands thoroughly before applying it, and use a clean spoon to scoop it out of the jar.
4) USING IT AS A MASK: You also use this as a mask. You can apply it after a hot shower, in the bath, or just cover your face with a warm damp towel. Wipe it off after a few minutes (this also provides gentle exfoliation after your pores open up in the heat).
5) USING IT AS MAKEUP REMOVER: If you're using it as a makeup remover, warm it up and massage into your face. The one drawback is that it's easy to get it in your eyes! I don't find it stinging, but it definitely makes my vision blurry for a good hour. Wipe off with a cotton pad...don't steam it off! It also conditions my eyelashes and keeps my skin from feeling tight after washing it.
--> I had a stint where I believed "real" makeup removers would be better. Nope! Most makeup removers are too harsh and strip your skin's natural oils, and I got crepey lids...at my age!! I then tried baby oil because it's cheaper...my lids became very sensitive, so much so that they were sore as I applied eyeliner! Coconut oil is the thing, guys :)
--> I have also learned that coconut oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties. I also realized this is why I broke out less while using it.
6) USING IT IN SHAVING: This is my FAVOURITE use of coconut oil! My legs get horribly itchy after shaving and this is the only thing that prevents AND relieves it! The only problem is that since it melts in my shower, I inevitably scoop out more than I need and everything gets oily. But the benefits to post-shaving itchy legs have been totally worth it, and once I adjusted to a soapless cleansing regime, I found that if I don't scrub off the coconut oil, I essentially get a whole body hydration mask, and barely need lotion post-shower anymore! Just towel thoroughly to prevent staining your clothes afterward.
Long review, I know. And hope this was helpful! :-)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2011 4:11:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

I like it for hair treatment, but what is awesome about it: using a couple of drops on my face. I add it with normal moisturizer at night, to make it richer. My skin is even toned after doing this, and very smooth, to the point that i do not need foundation. EDIT: I bought a raw organic pure virgin (white solid at room temperature) jar from Whole Foods, it absorbs much better/faster than the other (organic raw pure kind) that i was using. I don't know why, but i prefer it even more now. It works well with extra virgin olive oil, as a body oil. It also has a very faint coconut scent, whereas the other one was totally unscented. I like the coconut scent more.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2011 11:41:00 AM More reviews by pineapple1187

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Oh, virgin organic coconut oil... I love it sooooo much! It is the best moisturizer ever:

~ I use it on my face, which is dehydrated but oily, with sensitive forhead... it does not make my skin oily, it hydrates, it makes skin glow...

~ I use it on the rest of my body... NO body lotion in the world can give such a beautiful healthy glow

~ I use it on my dry scalp and on my coarse hair. heaven

~ And from now on i am going to use it on my teeth!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2011 11:31:00 AM More reviews by Michelle219

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this as my body moisturizer. I use it daily for my entire body with exception of my face and neck. I like to apply it right out of the shower to lock in moisture and it feels great when its warmed. My skin feels so soft and the smell reminds me of sugar cookies. Also big plus is that it doesn't have any parabens or chemicals and its so inexpensive compared to body creams/lotions.

UPDATE: With the weather getting colder I mixed avocado oil into my coconut oil and I love it even more now.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2011 9:14:00 AM More reviews by princessmaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I work in Holland and Barrett and I purchased this when it was on a half price offer and i must say its one of the best £6's iv spent yet. some mnay say it can be pricey but..coconut oil lasts A VERY LONG time! it stays in the fridge and is solid. I melt it between my hands and put it on slightly damp hair. it works great for hair to keep it shiny and in condition. the smell isnt overpowering - it is a sweet, light scent :) its great for putting on to dry scalps too.
it also can be used for cooking! iv used it before on toast (delicious).
it can help with weight loss.
during my training at a health shop i went on many courses to keep up to date with products. on a course in London i was told this story: some farmers wanted to fatten up their cows. they discovered coconut oil and believed this would to the trick. however, they found that the cows were losing weight! this is because coconut oil uses stored fat as enegry which in turn helps u to lose weight. i am unsure as to whether this story is factual or not !
coconut oil can also be used on the skin. i've yet to try it is a moisturisor but im sure its fantastic. (after i rub it into my hair and scalp my hands are left feeling baby soft)
its a must have!!
x

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2011 9:00:00 PM More reviews by bnanaphone246

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

coconut oil is absolutely fantastic. i have struggled with KP(keratosis pilaris) all over my body for so long. i've tried lots of different moisturizers but they never really seemed to have any lasting effect. i read about coconut oil here, and i had some in my kitchen so i decided to try it out by testing it on my arm, where i have a lot of particularly stubborn bumps. the next day it was easy to tell where i applied the coconut oil because there was a very clear line of demarcation-part of my skin was bumpy as always, but on the other part, the bumps had disappeared!! its been several weeks now and im still absolutely thrilled with what it does for my skin. between this, dove visible care bodywash, and salux bath towels, i can finally stop wasting money and energy trying to fix my KP, and stop feeling embarassed about the texture of my skin. as an added bonus, it's done wonders for strengthening my nails. i thought it was normal for nails to grow to a certain length and then get all snaggly,until i noticed how much nicer my nails were getting.
im afraid to use this as a facial moisturizer, as it is considered comedonegenic, (or however you spell that) but its great for oil-pulling. i find it helps cure junkfood cravings. still have to try it out as a conditioner.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2011 9:57:00 AM More reviews by lallen08

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought some coconut oil after reading the reviews here. I've used it on my hair, my face as a moisturizer, as an eye make up reviewer, and in scrubs. It smells fabulous of course, and I like how it feels on my skin. It doesn't seem to absorb into my face as well as olive oil - in the morning there's always a slight film left where with olive oil there isn't - but I don't care for the smell of olive oil and have yet to find a good way to mask it with other essential oils. All in all coconut oil is a good value and a keeper. Also excellent to cook with.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2011 1:46:00 PM More reviews by tsaraya29

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

When it comes to coconut oil, I'm like that Frank's Red Hot Sauce Commercial - ' I put that *ish on everything'. LOL
Coconut oil is one of the best product discoveries I've made in the past year and I use it all over, hair, skin, massage, etc. Probably the only thing I have yet to use it for is actually cooking!
Edited 10/24 - Oh and did I forget to mention that coconut oil is also an anti-microbial? This is one of those supernatural products.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2011 1:10:00 PM More reviews by prblms4loki

I purchased the Everyday Values organic unfiltered Coconut Oil from the grocery section at Whole Foods. It comes in a 14 oz jar, so for hair products, that makes this pretty cheap. It works fairly well. I slather it over my dry hair and massage into my scalp. I cover it with a plastic shower cap, and let it soak in for about an hour. Then I shampoo twice with moisturizing shampoo, and then condition as usual. After my hair is no longer dripping wet, I take a little more of the oil in my hands and rub it through the ends of my damp hair. Then I blow dry, without any additional product, and sleep on it. The next morning, I have the best hair I've had, in a long long time. My hair hasn't looked this shiny in years. Possibly ever.
I'll try it next time with air-drying it, which I have never ever been able to do with any type of product or haircut or perm, so I will update with new results when I have tried it!

I do recommend you try this if you have rough, coarse, or dry hair. I also have dandruff sometimes, and so I tried massaging this into my scalp, with no bad effects. My dandruff isn't gone, per se, but it's reduced, certainly. My hair looks gorgeous, and finally has settled into waves, which is a vast improvement from its formerly schizophrenic curl/straight state.