September 2, 2014 | 1699 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Nivea - Nivea Creme

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2010 1:24:00 AM More reviews by zushi303

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a game changer! For the last few years the dryness in my hands during winter months has been uncomfortable and even painful. My cuticles "crisp out" and literally roll back on themselves, I develop DEEP hangnails and hard skin around my nails, and I get callouses that crack along the side of my index finger and at the top of my thumbs that I have to use a nail file to tame. The palmar surfaces of my hands feel thick and as dried out as dry clay.

BUT NOT THIS YEAR! Seattle was below freezing last week and my cats were crackling with static yet my hands have been comfortable and feel young thanks to Nivea Creme. For several weeks, after handwashing, I've been applying Nivea Creme and my hands have NO hangnails, NO callouses and my cuticles are trim, tidy and translucent. Really, it's the immaculate, groomed quality of my nails and cuticles that really has me loving this creme.

As I've approached 50, I've relied in the winter on moisturizing hand scrubs from Crabtree & Evelyn followed by their lovely lotions to help with my thick dry skin problems. I follow that routine with several times daily applications of Barielle or L'Occitane nail and cuticle creams to keep things neat and comfortable. But it all seems a lot to keep on top of as missing a day can really set you back. Nivea Creme has done away with all that palaver and all those products.

When I was young and my skin was juicier, I didn't need this "thick, pasty" creme. I honestly wondered who on earth did. Now I know and I'll never be without it again - certainly not between November and February! I agree with another reviewer who said that this seems to work from below the skin, it gets under the dryness somehow.

I went to the FAQ page of Nivea International and have learned that Nivea is preservative free. I'm putting 2 answers together here, but the FAQ page states that: Nivea Creme is a water-in-oil (W/O) emulsion. This means that it contains many drops of water that are stored inside the oil. Consequently, your skin is first intensely treated during the outer oil phase and subsequently moisturized. (Nivea Soft, on the other hand, is an oil-in-water emulsion. Small drops of oil are embedded in the water.) In contrast to an oil-in-water (O/W) emulsion, MICRO ORGANISMS CANNOT MULTIPLY IN A WATER-IN-OIL FORMULA. Nivea Creme is a water-in-oil emulsion and since it is produced virtually free of germs, no preservatives are required. IN ADDITION, ANY BACTERIA INTRODUCED INTO THE CREME BY CONSUMERS CANNOT SURVIVE IN THE FORMULA AND THEREFORE DIE OFF. (I added the emphasis here.)

That's good to know, isn't it? (They should put that on all the websites.)

I like to keep the "dollar disks" I get at Walgreens' everywhere, not just for my hands, but for my neck, chest feet, all over. I also like to get Nivea products in Canada where they have products that aren't available in the U.S. Except for the 6 oz. plastic tub and the 2 oz. tube (I think) all the other products are made in Europe. (These 2 are still made in Mexico.) I bought the 400 ml tin (about 13 oz) in London Drugs and that is made in Germany. The difference that I can see is that the German made Nivea Creme is more creamy, less thick and therefore absorbs quicker. This tub is made for the Canadian market however, and does not contain a couple of the ingredients used in the original German version as Canada has it's own standard of allowable ingredients. (These ingredients start with "L" - Linool, or Limonene, I'm sorry, I don't know the names exactly.) The Nivea in this tub, being creamier and less sticky, really does seem to be the texture of Creme de la Mer.

When things warm up, I'll probably switch over to the Q10 Plus Anti-Age, Anti-Wrinkle hand cream that's "Made in France". Lovely stuff, kind of coats the skin with that super soft feeling. (That's another thing about the blue pot Nivea - it doesn't coat the skin in any way. When you wash your hands there is no sensation of 'slip'. All that moisture is truly in the deeper layers of your skin.)

Anyway, until spring comes and my hands get their juice back, I'm definitely sticking with blue pot Nivea Creme. I'm staying faithful to the restorative powers of this water-in-oil miracle as it is truly a youth infusion for my hands.

Thank you Nivea and good luck everybody. I hope this helps to spare someone's skin this winter!

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2010 5:09:00 AM More reviews by valentineshigh

i bought a tin of this after reading numerous reviews comparing it to the legendary creme de la mer (apparently the ingredients are quite similar, and so are the results). i definitely love this as a hand cream and a neck cream, and even an emergency moisturiser when a dry patch appears. i carry the tube version with me when i am travelling on a plane and i use it as a night cream sometimes as well. i havent tried the de la mer cream but the fact that its even getting compared despite the drastic difference in price is good enough for me. bottom line: its cheap, and it works.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2010 10:50:00 AM More reviews by jmp24

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't get all the hype. Mineral Oil and Petroleum, pretty standard moisturizer ingredients. Also, hard to spread - almost impossible actually - on damp skin, which sort of defeats the purpose, since moisturizer works best when you use it wet skin.

Works better as a hand creme.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2010 9:17:00 AM More reviews by icarle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

It's a great emergency moisturizer. I never liked the texture so I use it once in a while when my skin is really dehydrated. French girls/women love it, because it's a classic, the formula hasn't changed and it's cheap.
I always keep one jar in the house, but it,s not for everyday...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2010 9:01:00 AM More reviews by ukarmencb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

A classic genius. You understand why Nivea has been around for so long once you try it for yourself. Best hands moisturiser and night face cream. My mum used it since she was yound and also applied it to me when I was a child after a day at the beach. Nivea has become a permanent item in my cosmetics box.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2010 12:26:00 PM More reviews by Pinksatin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I don t know why I did not write a review about my lovely blue Nivea. It is next to Dior, Chanel, Clarins, Shiseido products but it works always the best. It has always been around. Maybe that's the reason.
I am in Europe so I use the German version (I really did not know that there are differences). It saves my skin in winter and relaxes it in summer. I have plenty of other products to compare (so silly I am, I'll stop buying).

Its thickness and cheap price create an illusion of a low quality product. But it is wrong. I never had a complain with my Blue Nivea. It is the best.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2010 10:47:00 AM More reviews by Tuts311

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

I own the small 30ml tin of the german nivea i really bought it to keep in my bag as a hand moisturiser. But recently my skin has become very dry in areas as i was using a lot of benzoyl peroxide for some acne, my skin became flakey and dry i couldnt wear make up. so i decided to apply this at night to see if it would help as i have oily skin its the only heavy emollient moisturiser i own. I have to say its brilliant, it really helped my skin and it looks really good now. I will continue using this at night when i feel my skin needs it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2010 10:20:00 AM More reviews by Artbum

The best winter moisturizer :) Earlier this year I purchased the little blue Nivea tin to carry in my handbag; I originally found Nivea cream to be too emollient as a hand moisturizer, so for that I recently switched to Nivea Soft, which is more of lighter lotion consistency. However! This week after showering I realized I'd run out of my regular after-bath lotion and pulled out the little blue tin and wah-la! Applied the Nivea cream to my legs and as a body moisturizer and my skin was unbelievably soft all day long through the night and the following morning. Today I'm going to buy a tub of classic Nivea cream to use as a full body moisturizer for the winter. It totally calms sensitive post-shaved skin, much better than traditional body butters. Nice!!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/21/2010 6:25:00 PM More reviews by ncw1625

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

first moistursier i ever used- a cast off from my mum. gave me my first ever spot. early teens. My mum gave it to me in her search for the moistuiser that didn't give her pimples. 10 years down the line i'm coming to the conclusion that my skin does not like moisturisers either. Have not touched Nivea since. My first spot. 'nuf said. My skin clears without cosmetics.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2010 6:55:00 PM More reviews by NatanYah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I would purchase the tiny tin at Walgreen's for around a buck. You can't beat that price! It's very moisturizing and leaves hands feeling refreshed and soft. Would buy again in a pinch.