L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof

3.7

isodecane - aqua (water) - cera alba (beeswax) - disteardimonium hectorite - carnauba wax - paraffin - alcohol denat. - allyl stearate/va copolymer - propylene carbonate - oryza sativa (rice) starch - polyvinyl laurate - peg/ppg-17/18 dimethicone - synthetic wax - dimethicone - propylparaben - 2-oleamido-1,3-octadecanedio - dimethiconol - sodium dna. May contain [ /- ci 77492, ci 77499, ci 77491 / iron oxides - ci 77007 / ultramarines - ci 77891 / titanium dioxide - mica - ci 75470 / carmine - ci 77288 / chromium oxide green - ci 77510 / ferric ferrocyanide]

on 4/29/2007 4:50:00 PM

Ug, I hate this stuff! I'm glad it worked for many, but it sure didn't on me. I threw it out after one use. I've never used a mascara so clumpy and disappointing. It was like black glue sticking my lashes together, and nothing would separate them. There was no lift, and it took a long time to dry. No thanks!

on 4/28/2007 4:48:00 PM

I've used the regular version of this years ago. The overall performance wasn't bad and it did a decent job at thickening, considering the price, but it smudged badly which I couldn't tolerate. I've been using Lancome Definicls and then Hypnose for many years, and recently started the search for a good drugstore mascara. First tried the Maybelline Volum Express Waterproof (see my review for it if you wanna compare), thought it was wonderful but shortly after discovered all the shortfalls. Then, bought L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof due to all the positive reviews here. This is indeed a great mascara. Not 100%, and not as amazing as my beloved Lancome Hypnose, but quite close, and definitly better than Maybelline Volum Express. It gives noticeable volume after one coat, and can really help achieve "big lashes" by three coats (my lashes are not short but sparse). Doesn't clump for a good 2 months and by the time it starts to clump, it's around time to toss it away anyway. Occasionally the tips (and only the tips) of my lashes would get messy after application --- get weighed down or stick toward different directions --- and I find it's solved when I wait till the first coat is dry and then apply the second and third coat. I use black and I think the black is more true and glossy than Maybelline Volum Express as well. However, it does still smudge a bit, after a long day of more than 10 hours. But on a regular day it's just fine, and I don't normally wear my makeup for more than 10 hours anyway, so it works out I guess. It's very inexpensive so the performance is well worth every penny and deserves 5 lipsticks on its own. But to rate it relative to other mascaras, I'll give it a 4.

on 4/2/2007 12:17:00 AM

I love this stuff! Really won't budge in the water, after surfing for a couple hours, wiping face many times etc..It gives the fullest, longest prettiest lashes and it holds a curl so well! I wish I could wear it everyday, but I have a feeling wearing waterproof mascara daily might be bad for the lashes but...wow...LOVE. Oh...but you do have to make sure you replace...when it gets old, it flakes like mad!!!

on 3/30/2007 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bought this a couple months ago and I'm really liking it. It clumps a tiny bit but that's understandable with volume mascaras and it's really not that bad. I haven't had to use an eyelash brush or comb with it so far. The brush is nice. I can still comb through my lashes with it after a couple coats have already dried. It still continues to separate. The brush is also a nice size. Not too big but not too small either. I would describe the formula as very wet. You can really plaster the stuff on when doing several coats. Before putting my makeup away in the morning, I have to keep adding "Just one more coat..." because it builds up so nicely. It's hard to remove but I use a fair bit of it so that's to be expected. It's one one of the few mascaras that I can get that false eyelash look with when I care to. I like it.
Update: 2 out of 2 cosmeticians as well as 1 pharmacy staff member I had asked yesterday told me that their favourite mascara is Voluminious. I also figured out a faster way to build up the layers. The result isn't quite as neat and perfect as if you did one thin layer at a time, but it's quicker. I do coats on both the right and then the wrong (backside) of my top lashes to make the mascara go on really thick and wet. As soon as you brush the lashes down to get the other sides, you have to quickly brush them back up (on the right side) to prevent them from drying in that position. Also, there may be a little more clumping because you're applying a lot more at once, but it's fixable with a few quick swoops of the brush. It saves me time in the morning using this method but I will take the time to do more thin coats if I'm going somewhere special.
Update 03/29/11: I recently tried using this again because my HG mascara, GOSH Lift 'N Shape WP was discontinued. This is not at all like I remember it. It goes on so wet and heavy and pulls out my curl, and it doesn't apply evenly at all. It makes my lashes messy, clumped in some spots and separated in others, and unevenly curled. It also crumbles off of the tips of my lashes throughout the day, which looks very weird. Not cool.

on 3/22/2007 8:17:00 PM

Holds a curl quite well and does not smear or flake. Definitely not nearly as volumizing as the regular Voluminous. This formula thickens a little bit, but gets clumpy if you apply even one coat, so make sure you have your lash comb handy. "Takes" to my heated lash curler (Panasonic--love!) well, too, which has not been the case with most other L'Oreal mascaras. The "Very Black" is very black indeed and the texture is pretty well balanced between wet and dry/waxy.

This is my favorite L'Oreal mascara, just because it actually holds a curl (important because I have fine, stick-straight lashes that go down under the weight of mascara pretty easily). Otherwise, doesn't come close to unseating my Maybelline Full & Soft (also waterproof) as my HG everyday mascara. I'll use up my tube but I doubt I'll repurchase--it's a decent mascara by my standards, but not great.

continued >>

on 3/22/2007 12:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Doesn't pump as much volume into my lashes as the original formula, definetely goes on differently.. but once dry, totally waterproof! I used this mascara when I had swim meets and it didn't budge through the whole session. I don't use it on a daily basis but I reccommend it for anyone hitting up the beach or public pool and wants their mascara to stay put.

on 3/13/2007 4:50:00 AM

My favorite mascara, hands down. Regular mascara burns my eyes, and this one is the only thing I can use. It gives me transvestite lashes...which I sometimes tame with a metal lash rake thingy. People always ask me what mascara I use. Even my sister, and I always say...the same thing I have been using since 5th grade. About drying your lashes out- whatever. I use waterproof eye makeup remover (Clinique, Lancome or Paula's Choice). It's kinda oily, so it conditions them when I take the mascara off. Best mascara ever.

on 3/12/2007 10:36:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

No, no, no! This mascara didn't deliver the volume it promised! I know I applied 3 coats but my lashes looked no thicker than with regular mascara. Very disappointing!!! It also took the curl out of my lashes. It didn't make them completely droop/point downwards (there was still a slight lift), but they didn't look perky and curled as they usually do. However, there was limited smudging and no flaking at all and didn't seem at all clumpy.

on 3/8/2007 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I tried this because even though Maybelline's Full and Soft is the best mascara on earth, it was causing me lash loss. So I thought I'd try this on MUA's recommendation. However, this doesn't hold up a candle to Full and Soft. It's clumpy, flakey, and just totally messes up my lashes. I tried this about 3 times, gave up, and returned it. I'd rather lose some lashes than use this mascara! Maybelline's Full and Soft is still the best thing around!

on 2/25/2007 4:05:00 PM

I really wanted to like this mascara based on all the good reviews, but I have to say it was a huge disappointment. After a week, I realized that this was what was causing my bloodshot eyes (I had thought it was just stress from planning my wedding, but the irritation and redness ended once I stopped using this). Also, after applying the mascara, I ended up with thick black clumps on my contacts after a few hours. I've been a devotee of Maybelline Full n' Soft, but I think I'm going to try MF Lash Perfection next. Bottom line, use L'Oreal Voluminous mascara at your own risk!!