L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof

3.7

isodecane - aqua (water) - cera alba (beeswax) - disteardimonium hectorite - carnauba wax - paraffin - alcohol denat. - allyl stearate/va copolymer - propylene carbonate - oryza sativa (rice) starch - polyvinyl laurate - peg/ppg-17/18 dimethicone - synthetic wax - dimethicone - propylparaben - 2-oleamido-1,3-octadecanedio - dimethiconol - sodium dna. May contain [ /- ci 77492, ci 77499, ci 77491 / iron oxides - ci 77007 / ultramarines - ci 77891 / titanium dioxide - mica - ci 75470 / carmine - ci 77288 / chromium oxide green - ci 77510 / ferric ferrocyanide]

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I always come back to this one... It's been my stand by for years and after a dissapointing turn with Revlon Lash Fantasy I came back to this formula. Alone it gives a nice fairly bold day look, but with the addition of primer it goes to a gorgeous fake lashes look. Will never leave this one again!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I've used this for years and have never found another drugstore formula that comes close. Don't judge it by the first application; it starts off very thin and takes about 2 days after the first opening before it thickens up to where I like it. It does clump, so be prepared to do a little combing, but the results are worth it for me. I like to apply two coats for massive impact.

I bought this due to all of the amazing reviews, and when I finally saw it at the drugstore I thought that I had to be mistaken due to the extremely dated and matronly packaging. I am also kind of a mascara junkie, so I was really excited to try this this after all the hype. But I was really disappointed, it didnt give me the look that I like, at all. It is very very sheer, and almost tooo natural looking, it basically just makes your lashes black, and that is about it. It gave me no length, no volume. It was just more of a mascara you would wear when you want to look like you arent wearing makeup, and I definitely like my lashes to be dramatic, and that was not the case with this at all.

EDIT>> I tried this again, willing to put a little more effort in to layering it, and now I absolutely love it. I use extra super lash on the top of my lashes because I feel like voluminous weighs it down, and then the voluminous on normally and they look amazing! You just have to put on lots of layers! But now my biggest problem/biggest love about this product is that it DOES NOT come off, I mean, yesterday I wore it to the beach at 10am and it lasted until 3 am without budging, but at the same time you def have to tug at your lashes to get it off, many lashes will be lost in this battle :(

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I like this mascara better than all the other drugstore brands. It goes on glossy but you have to throw it out after 4-6 weeks or it gets clumpy. If you want to apply thicker, then I recommend waiting until the first coat is completely dry. I've used several Maybelline and Max Factor lines as well, but Voluminous is the best of these. It's even been recommended to me by makeup counter salespeople.

This will do for a daytime mascara for work. For night and special occasions, I like Lancome or Dior.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

So far, waterproof Voluminous is my go to drugstore mascara when I want dramatic lashes. Waterproof Voluminous gives me very thick and long lashes with minimal clumping. I love the true black color (not grey) and the fact that this stuff doesn't smudge on me, even when it's humid outside. I tried the non-waterproof Voluminous and hello raccoon eyes! The non-wp version also became very clumpy after just two weeks of use, the wp version is still going strong through it's third week.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

THis mascara gives my lashes a lot of sexy volume!! =D
I chose the black color and it all looks awesomely natural like I have perfectly natural sexy lashes lol! Hmmmm it does give me racoon eyes but a little clear lip balm and q-tips fixes that in a flash. I willl def repurchase.. when i feel like it. I'm usually up for trying new mascaras and don't go back to the old ones until i've stepped on a spectacularly horrid mascara. I wonder how that new Maybelline mascara is holding up...... it's selling at my local drugstore right now... it isn't a waterproof one though.. *ref: asn lashes. long but stick straight and point downwards, no problems with curl because i use a mascara curler*

Ug, I hate this stuff! I'm glad it worked for many, but it sure didn't on me. I threw it out after one use. I've never used a mascara so clumpy and disappointing. It was like black glue sticking my lashes together, and nothing would separate them. There was no lift, and it took a long time to dry. No thanks!

I've used the regular version of this years ago. The overall performance wasn't bad and it did a decent job at thickening, considering the price, but it smudged badly which I couldn't tolerate. I've been using Lancome Definicls and then Hypnose for many years, and recently started the search for a good drugstore mascara. First tried the Maybelline Volum Express Waterproof (see my review for it if you wanna compare), thought it was wonderful but shortly after discovered all the shortfalls. Then, bought L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof due to all the positive reviews here. This is indeed a great mascara. Not 100%, and not as amazing as my beloved Lancome Hypnose, but quite close, and definitly better than Maybelline Volum Express. It gives noticeable volume after one coat, and can really help achieve "big lashes" by three coats (my lashes are not short but sparse). Doesn't clump for a good 2 months and by the time it starts to clump, it's around time to toss it away anyway. Occasionally the tips (and only the tips) of my lashes would get messy after application --- get weighed down or stick toward different directions --- and I find it's solved when I wait till the first coat is dry and then apply the second and third coat. I use black and I think the black is more true and glossy than Maybelline Volum Express as well. However, it does still smudge a bit, after a long day of more than 10 hours. But on a regular day it's just fine, and I don't normally wear my makeup for more than 10 hours anyway, so it works out I guess. It's very inexpensive so the performance is well worth every penny and deserves 5 lipsticks on its own. But to rate it relative to other mascaras, I'll give it a 4.

I love this stuff! Really won't budge in the water, after surfing for a couple hours, wiping face many times etc..It gives the fullest, longest prettiest lashes and it holds a curl so well! I wish I could wear it everyday, but I have a feeling wearing waterproof mascara daily might be bad for the lashes but...wow...LOVE. Oh...but you do have to make sure you replace...when it gets old, it flakes like mad!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bought this a couple months ago and I'm really liking it. It clumps a tiny bit but that's understandable with volume mascaras and it's really not that bad. I haven't had to use an eyelash brush or comb with it so far. The brush is nice. I can still comb through my lashes with it after a couple coats have already dried. It still continues to separate. The brush is also a nice size. Not too big but not too small either. I would describe the formula as very wet. You can really plaster the stuff on when doing several coats. Before putting my makeup away in the morning, I have to keep adding "Just one more coat..." because it builds up so nicely. It's hard to remove but I use a fair bit of it so that's to be expected. It's one one of the few mascaras that I can get that false eyelash look with when I care to. I like it.
Update: 2 out of 2 cosmeticians as well as 1 pharmacy staff member I had asked yesterday told me that their favourite mascara is Voluminious. I also figured out a faster way to build up the layers. The result isn't quite as neat and perfect as if you did one thin layer at a time, but it's quicker. I do coats on both the right and then the wrong (backside) of my top lashes to make the mascara go on really thick and wet. As soon as you brush the lashes down to get the other sides, you have to quickly brush them back up (on the right side) to prevent them from drying in that position. Also, there may be a little more clumping because you're applying a lot more at once, but it's fixable with a few quick swoops of the brush. It saves me time in the morning using this method but I will take the time to do more thin coats if I'm going somewhere special.
Update 03/29/11: I recently tried using this again because my HG mascara, GOSH Lift 'N Shape WP was discontinued. This is not at all like I remember it. It goes on so wet and heavy and pulls out my curl, and it doesn't apply evenly at all. It makes my lashes messy, clumped in some spots and separated in others, and unevenly curled. It also crumbles off of the tips of my lashes throughout the day, which looks very weird. Not cool.

Popular Mascaras