January 25, 2015 | 1922 users online

Cleansers - Mario Badescu - Enzyme Cleansing Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2004 5:06:00 PM More reviews by GoldieTails

This product is my HG cleanser. I always return to this after testing everything else. Why I even look is beyond me. Everytime I try something and it breaks me out I return back to this to clear my skin up again. I will never be without this. The best part is a 16 oz bottle goes for $20 and last forever!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2004 9:52:00 PM More reviews by wombat

Enzyme Cleansing Gel:
Ingredients: deionized water, glycerin, papaya extract, grapefruit extract, monomide, triethanolamine, methyl paraben.

One of my fave MB products. I just tried a sample of the dermalogica microfoliant and
I have to say that it's like a cleanser version of the microfoliant, but i might prefer it better because it's also a cleanser.

It's a light green gel consistency, thicker than cetaphil. I massage it on face then rinse off. It keeps my skin sooooooooo soft (so polished already so that i didn't feel anything special when i tried the microfoliant!). A bonus is it's also really non-drying. My skin is soft and supple after using it. Big big thumbs up.
The only complaint is that it's quite fragranced, like floral herby scent or something. Not a big fan, luckily it washes away as soon as u rinse it off.

The price is rather cheap if purchased from the MB stores straight away, but the shipping they charge internationally is hedious and the customer service isn't the best out there.

***ETA:***
2nd/April/2005:
I've ventured into the realm of many other enzyme based cleansers/exfoliators, and found most of them did what this cleanser does if used regularly.
e.g. Origins never a dull moment cleanser (this one is working really well for keeping that smooth, supple and silky skin feel you get after enzyme masks or dermalogica microfoliant, i barely had to use any scrubs regularly after i started using origins!). Or those asian brand enzyme washing powder by kanebo etc. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 6/14/2004 4:12:00 PM More reviews by ccrider

my friend uses this product and her skin is great so i figured i'd take a break from my regular Clarins and try this. well within a week, my chin was blotchy and spotty. it was so bad, it looked like i had burns on my face. since it's summer the only thing i use on my face is foundation, and i never had a problem with my foundation before, so this must have irritated me. i stopped using this product and now use clarins and aloe vera to soothe my chin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2004 12:05:00 PM More reviews by BlacklightFreakout

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i love this cleanser. the smell is a little to perfumey in a grassy/herbal type of way. it cleanse very well. takes off makeup. won't strip your skin, making it dry. i am on my 5th bottle of this since last august. my skin has improved. no more acne breakouts and bumpy skin. my skin has a glow to it. this might be my holy grail for life! [i am going to experiment w/shiseido when i use up this bottle. if i don't like shiseido, i will definately comeback to m.b.] a 8oz bottle is $12 usd and it will last you 2.5 months.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2004 7:25:00 AM More reviews by Aphrael813

I actually liked this product. It still smells like cheap detergent, but leaves my skin taut and feeling baby smooth. Can be drying especially in winter but you're supposed to moisturiser slightly damp skin to seal in moisture anyways. I don't recommend daily use for sensitive skin, but for those who are used to using acids, this is a nice pick me up once treatment effect peaks from your daily treatment. It won't give you the glow that peels do, but it does deep cleanse the skin. Took a lippie off for the smell and also the ease of access since I'm in Australia. Shipping from the MB site is heinous. I'd prefer it to come with a pump too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2004 6:08:00 PM More reviews by Tuscana

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

They sent this as a small sample when I ordered other items. I think this cleans very well and I especially like it after I've removed makeup. My only complaint is I'd rather have it in a tube as you can't get all of the product out from a bottle.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2004 11:48:00 AM More reviews by queenV

I received a sample of this enzyme cleansing gel in a swap & love it. At first I was put off by the very strong fruity smell, which I found overpowering (it smells exactly like Rachel Perry's cucumber & elastin moisturizer). The texture was also creamier than my usual cleansers (almost like you're putting conditioner on your face). But my skin felt so smooth and soft after this enzyme cleanser that I forgot all about its smell & texture. I use it only in the morning when I have no makeup to remove, so don't know how well it would clear up foundation or mascara. I have not had any reactions to the cleanser, but think it wouldn't be suitable for anyone w/sensitive skin, given the strong fragrance.
Update: After buying the full size botlle, my skin reacted badly to this cleanser & I got a couple big cyst-like pimples, whcih I hadn't had in years. Needless to say, i stopped using the cleanser & the problem went away.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2004 1:21:00 AM More reviews by MJMartin70

I did not care for this at all. It felt like I was rubbing watered down hair gel all over my face. It did not take my makeup off, and even on days when I did not wear makeup my face felt dirty after using. It also stung my skin slightly, and even though I was careful to avoid my eye area, my eyes were red and stinging for hours afterward. Would not recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2004 11:41:00 PM More reviews by littO_girlii

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this stuff works pretty well, it really gets the makeup and dirt off my face leaving it pretty clean. i really dont like the packaging of any of mario's products but i'd re-purchase

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2004 12:29:00 PM More reviews by Karahmelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product! I have acne prone skin but now my face is totally clear. The price is more expensive then the cleansers you'd find at a drug store but the 8oz bottle lasts for several months. I started out with the Botanical Facial Gel which was also a very good product, but when I went to re-purchase it they didn't carry it at the store and I had to get the enzyme gel instead. Enzyme Gel is less strong, so it was good in the winter months when the Botanical Gel would have been too drying. I can't say enough positive remarks about this product - I didn't think I would ever find somehting to achieve a flawless complexion but I did!