Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel

3.9

Ingredients: Aqua (Water,Eau),Glycerin,Propylene Glycol,PEG-8 Stearate,PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Cocamide,Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract,Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract,Carbomer,Sodium Chloride,Parfum (Fragrance),Phenoxyethanol,Methylparaben,Propylparaben,Triethanolamine,Diazolidinyl Urea,Mica,CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide),CI 19140 (Yellow 5),CI 42090 (Blue 1),CI 15985 (Yellow 6)(4/26/2015)

on 12/13/2004 11:33:00 AM

I broke out into tiny bumps after each and every use (and my skin is well behaved). Next!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Can't decide if I like this. It doesn't foam, so I prefer the glycolic cleanser; it's cheap so I prefer this gel to the glycolic cleanser. I can't tell if it hurts my eyes--I never let cleanser near my eyes. I have combination, acne-prone skin that seems to like it for the cleansing of both dry and oily. But it leaves my skin more dull and with more pimples than the glycolic cleanser. I don't know. I guess it's worth the outrageously good price for the huge bottle since it doesn't irritatemy skin and it smells good. Would maybe buy again.

on 12/6/2004 5:32:00 AM

Just for reference, I am in my mid 30's and have Combination skin with mild Rosacea and some very fine lines around the eyes. Unfortunately, my skin is very picky and I have to be very careful when choosing skincare.
I started using Mario Badescu products about 4 months ago after receiving several samples along with my Elasto-Seamollient Hand cream. My results were so wonderful, I intentionally waited for 3 months to make sure it kept working! I've tried several lines of skincare; Clinique (too strong, drying), Chanel (smelled way too "perfumey" to me), Bliss Labs (used the stuff for sensitive skin and subsequentley got the worst rash I've ever had!), Paula's Choice (still like this line, excellent basic skincare, especially the BHA's and cleansers!), Remede (sticker shock!!!), Kiss My Face Organics (made me think I just couldn't use "botanical" skincare; rashy and red!)and even Cetaphil and Eucerin at the recommendation of my Dr., but NOTHING has done the wonders that this line has!This cleanser was yet another winner for me. It really gets the gunk off and leaves my skin squeaky clean, but not dry in the least. I was a little nervous about using it because of the AHA's and botanical ingredients (bad memories of Kiss My Face). I thought it might be too harsh. On the contrary, it was quite soothing and I had absolutely no issues with sensitivity whatsoever.And I also like that this is a moderately
priced line. This cleanser runs about $12.00 for 8oz. A great choice for combo, oily, and/or blemish prone skin types! continued >>

on 11/20/2004 4:53:00 AM

UPDATE 11th June '05: Changed rating from 4 to 1. I stopped using this at the end of last year, as I believe it was causing irritation and cystic breakouts, after a couple of months of consecutive use. My skin has recovered now.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I like this AHA cleanser - it smooths my skin and clears surface gunk from pores, allowing treatments (like benzoyl peroxide) to penetrate more effectively.

After initially cleansing with a washcloth in lukewarm water, I towel my face dry, apply the cleanser like a mask, leaving for a few minutes and rinsing with cool water. This leaves my skin very clean and soft.

(For some reason I experience dryness and irritation if used directly on wet skin - no idea why that is!)

Love the practical, fuss-free packaging. Does have a strong 'clean & fresh' fragrance.
continued >>

This is a nice gentle cleanser for me. I use it when I'm a bit dry/irritated from my possible HG MD Forte cleanser II. Like everyone else, I do not care for the scent at all. It sort of reminds me of hotel shampoo.
Anyway, I find it to be a nice, gentle, non-irritating cleanser. Doesn't work any miracles for me. Would *probably* buy again.

on 10/7/2004 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This cleanser smells so bad! AND it stung my eyes!
I think this IS NOT a product for dry or sensitive skin

on 10/6/2004 2:35:00 PM

I got a sample of this from the MB website when I filled out the consultation. I wasn't sure if this would work well for me because I noticed it didn't foam. After trying it though, I really like how my skin feels so soft and smooth and not dry and tight at all. I personally love the scent. For the full size price, its the same as any higher end drugstore brand. Not completely sure yet, but I'm definitely leaning towards purchasing the full size and trying it longer to see if I still have the same great results.

on 9/29/2004 7:13:00 PM

This is a great cleanser. Your skin feels very clean after. One important reminder: DO NOT get this in your eyes. It KILLS!

I have combination sensitive skin which is prone to breakouts. I tried this product after reading the description on the website. It was not aware that it had exfoliating particles and they worried me when I began to use the cleanser, but soon realized they did not irritate me like most others. I love Mario Badescu products. They really work well for my skin.

on 8/16/2004 8:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I purchased this cleanser after reading reviews on this site for my sensitive and dry skin. It doesn't foam but is quite soft, with little exfoliant particles in it. My face did feel clean after washing off, but unfortunately perhaps it stripped a bit too much off as my skin often stang when I applied moisturiser! Probably better for normal/oily skin.