September 30, 2014 | 1682 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2011 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Yoshi3329

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've just gotten into makeup and I follow a few makeup artist online. One is Sam fine. He always uses sponges. I've seen his celebrity faces that he's done and I wanted that look as well. But I personally didn't want to purchase so many sponges every certain amount of time. So when Fine recommended this I decided to check it out. I was skeptical at first, but when I read that one reviewer on Sephora has the same beauty blender sponge for a year I was sold.

This is a high quality sponge. I can clearly tell the difference between a cheap sponge from the drugstore and this sponge. I frankly don't think this waste product, I only use a 2 swipes of my cream foundation and I can use it all over my face. The sponge I think is great for controlling how much product you use. If I need more, I just simply squeeze the sponge.

Don't waste your time purchasing the cleaner, Dawn liquid soap works just fine. This gives a flawless and natural face and the texture and the shape are agreeable with the skin and face. People couldn't even tell I was wearing a full coverage foundation.

My only disappointment is that there are tears in the sponge. It's prompted me to be a lot more careful and it hasn't effect the way concealer or foundation is applied in my opinion. I'm not surprised, I have been using it for months practically everyday.

Another thing to watch out for is that it can get misshaped. I was traveling when I notice that. However, once I applied some water it may have had the lumpy shape but it stilled applied well. After using it a second or third rise time the sponge would reshape again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2011 10:28:00 PM More reviews by xtinahb

AMAZING! I was so skeptical about a $20 sponge, but was looking for a new way to apply foundation in the summertime where I want a lighter touch. This thing is awesome. It truly blends and smooths liquid foundation and concealer perfectly and since I dampen it as directed, it leaves a nice dewiness to the skin, not powdery or matte at all. The narrow point is perfect for corners of eyes and around the nose and the wider end is just the right size to press and roll around your face to finish. I didn't buy the cleanser; I just use baby shampoo after each use. I wish there was a better way to store this than the cheapo plastic case it comes in, but it's no biggie. LOVE and recommend!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2011 10:33:00 PM More reviews by miszjackie

Love! I no longer use any brush on my face (except for a powder brush to set my makeup in the end and eyeshadow brushes). This is all I need. it leaves my face look flawless! My ONLY complaint would be that it tends to waste alot of my Palladio foundation. Luckily, my foundation isn't expensive :p but other than that, I would definitely repurchase. What I like to do is swirl my sponge into my foundation and then spray It with my MAC fix + for a SUPER flawless look :)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2011 5:59:00 PM More reviews by ayaspiralout

I was expecting to like this a lot, but find I get better results with a flat top brush, and the same amount of coverage. The sponge absorbs a lot of product and I really have to smush it into the areas around my nose to get it to cover, and when I do that, it messes up the areas that are already done. It's also hard to control where you are applying the foundation, so I wind up with a little bit of it around my hairline, which is just icky. I also have a hard time getting it clean and am disturbed by how much pink color comes out of it no matter how many times I've washed it. It seems to emphasize any bad texture of my skin, and my foundation "cracks" more throughout the day when I use this. Plus, they are SUPER expensive. It is a lot of fun to bounce it around your face and I like the way it expands under water, but it's not worth it with the poor results I get. The only people who might really like this IMO are people who just can't get the hang of using a brush to get better results, or for people who don't mind the high cost of the sponge and the cost of wasted product that gets absorbed into it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2011 8:01:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

I bought a pack of 2 just to see what the hype is all about. Yes, it does a good job of putting on liquid or cream fdn using a stamping motion on the skin. I find I can do the same with other latex sponge of various shapes using the same stamping motion. The Beautyblender is a denser sponge as compared to other latex sponge. The tip does not work for the inner corner of the eyes and the bag area no matter what, it just doesn't get there, a concealer brush does a much much better job.
For the crazy price Beautyblender charge, it is totally not worth it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2011 6:41:00 PM More reviews by Nikkers8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have oily skin and acne marks and therefore need a heavier application of my foundation. I have a Quo (Shopper's Drugmart brand) that is great quality but I always felt like the blending wasn't quite enough - I ended up sort of scrubbing the product into my pores, ruining my brush as it's flat and not meant to be used that way. Enter BeautyBlender. I tried copies as the Canadian Sephora didn't have it but nothing was the same. The blender has an added sponginess and porosity. By quickly dabbing, my concealer and foundation blend flawlessly. I would recommend buying the accompanying cleanser. I tried using my MAC brush cleanser but the gel consistency of this one makes it easier to squeeze and massage the makeup out. Granted it will discolour no matter what you use but it doesn't affect its efficacy.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2011 9:47:00 PM More reviews by AnonymousOneThree

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The beautyblender is great for creamy liquid foundations (LM Silk Creme) and tinted moisturizer. I took one lippie off because I find using my fingers with cream foundation (Studio Stick, Studio Tech) works a bit better/faster. I didn't realize how much I like the beautyblender until yesterday. I was in a hurry and decided to use my Sigma foundation brush to apply Tarte Smooth Operator (tinted moisturizer). I found the application to be much more difficult, and super streaky. This is why I don't use a foundation brush to apply Silk Creme or Smooth Operator, because of the streaks. I also don't use my fingers to apply either of those products because of "finger lines". So, the beauty blender is excellent for some things, and sort of mediocre for others. When squeezing out excess water, I have noticed that some pink dye comes out, but have not seen any transfer to my face when applying makeup. Also, I have not purchased the blender cleanser, and to be honest, have not used the sample or washed the sponge yet so I can't attest to how well they will hold up over time. I've only used one of the two I bought, and then only about 6-7 times as I don't wear makeup every day.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/14/2011 10:23:00 AM More reviews by sarahlouisejones

just goes to show you how even a pro makeup artist like myself can be duped. i bought a twin pack, thinking because of the rave reviews i would be onto a winner. i mean, why waste money on just one when sooo many people love it?

its just a sponge, and not a very fine one at that, compared to the 'latex' type wedges. if you inspect the application in a MAGNIFYING mirror (a girls BFF) and not simply your regular mirror, you should be able to see teeny specks of pink all over your face. not only that, the finished result really isnt that great, i had to go over it with a latex wedge to get the result i need

this guests worse with every use/wash. and i think the dispensing method could be a lot simpler for the wash fluid. whats with the little dish thing, when a spout would do?

and then theres the colour loss, despite following cleansing instructions carefully and to the letter

and its laborious to use, bouncing up and down on your face

and the narrow end really isnt that narrow for 'getting into tight spots', especially when its damp. its general too big all round

so, im sticking to my foundation brushes for apply, and wedge sponges for finishing

its not even a nice pink colour, and it discolours al most immediate

and they want 100+ for a pro-pack of disposables? get outta here

so, the 2nd sponge sits as yet unused...

beauty? no. blender? no. no it my pro kit, and not in my own makeup kit

EDIT, a quick glance over the reviews tells me that pro artists are the ones who dont rate this. not just here, elsewhere on the net. says it all really

13 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2011 6:47:00 PM More reviews by MECO90

I read all of the reviews before finally buying this product, and I must say all of the positive reviews are right! It does a great job of providing coverage with thin foundation to thick foundation. One thing I will say though is I'm not actually a fan of dipping it in water first and then using it. I have found that this usually reacts with whatever makeup I'm using and makes it splotchy. Although I'm still on a hunt to find a good primer that won't break out my skin, so maybe that's the next step too! Overall is this a HG product, probably not one of mine (hard to tell a difference between this and using my fingers) but it's great for the under eye area and supplies great precesion

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2011 12:34:00 AM More reviews by tinytapa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Well, I'm late to the game on this one, I know! I've only had my BB sponges for a few months now, and I've been waiting to chime in with my opinion because, to be honest, I'm constantly up and down with this product. I've tried it with every foundation and concealer I have in my collection or could get my hands on. I agree that it does a much better job than most brushes, insofar as it doesn't streak and it deposits colour without disturbing the skin. However, I don't find it to be significantly better (I give it a slight edge!) than my Simga F80 when it comes to liquid foundation - both achieve an air-brushed finish with no steaks. The pointed end of the sponge is great for getting into corners better than a brush, such as around my nose.

Some of downsides is that I found it stains easily with liquid foundation and it needs a wash after every use! However, I deep clean my brushes once a week and I've managed to make the sponge-washing one of the steps in my makeup routine. It's also quite expensive, though mine have lasted pretty well. Some of the cheaper dupes are comparable in use but not in quality and seem to deteriorate quickly. When I wash it, the water runs pink, which makes me wonder how much dye is in this little sponge? I would prefer something more natural, I think, though I concede that it is a cute colour. I also feel that it forces me to use way too much product, as it seems to absorb a lot of my liquid product, despite only using the sponge when it's damp (instructions say this will prevent the sponge from soaking up product - I call BS on that!).

One thing this sponge has done for me is made me love my Bare Escentuals products again - nothing I have ever used previously gives me such a fantastic application of this line. I had pushed them to the back of my makeup cabinet, but now I'm using the foundation and concealers daily again thanks to the help of the BB sponge. I'm finally able to make 'Well-Rested' eye powder work for me, whereas I previously hated it.

So, I definitely recommend trying this with a few different products and lines before forming a firm opinion - it could surprise you! Right now, I'm loving it and will continue to try it out with more items (highlights, cream blushes, etc...) to see where else I can make it work for me. I would likely buy it again.