September 17, 2014 | 954 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2011 6:41:00 PM More reviews by Nikkers8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have oily skin and acne marks and therefore need a heavier application of my foundation. I have a Quo (Shopper's Drugmart brand) that is great quality but I always felt like the blending wasn't quite enough - I ended up sort of scrubbing the product into my pores, ruining my brush as it's flat and not meant to be used that way. Enter BeautyBlender. I tried copies as the Canadian Sephora didn't have it but nothing was the same. The blender has an added sponginess and porosity. By quickly dabbing, my concealer and foundation blend flawlessly. I would recommend buying the accompanying cleanser. I tried using my MAC brush cleanser but the gel consistency of this one makes it easier to squeeze and massage the makeup out. Granted it will discolour no matter what you use but it doesn't affect its efficacy.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2011 9:47:00 PM More reviews by AnonymousOneThree

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The beautyblender is great for creamy liquid foundations (LM Silk Creme) and tinted moisturizer. I took one lippie off because I find using my fingers with cream foundation (Studio Stick, Studio Tech) works a bit better/faster. I didn't realize how much I like the beautyblender until yesterday. I was in a hurry and decided to use my Sigma foundation brush to apply Tarte Smooth Operator (tinted moisturizer). I found the application to be much more difficult, and super streaky. This is why I don't use a foundation brush to apply Silk Creme or Smooth Operator, because of the streaks. I also don't use my fingers to apply either of those products because of "finger lines". So, the beauty blender is excellent for some things, and sort of mediocre for others. When squeezing out excess water, I have noticed that some pink dye comes out, but have not seen any transfer to my face when applying makeup. Also, I have not purchased the blender cleanser, and to be honest, have not used the sample or washed the sponge yet so I can't attest to how well they will hold up over time. I've only used one of the two I bought, and then only about 6-7 times as I don't wear makeup every day.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/14/2011 10:23:00 AM More reviews by sarahlouisejones

just goes to show you how even a pro makeup artist like myself can be duped. i bought a twin pack, thinking because of the rave reviews i would be onto a winner. i mean, why waste money on just one when sooo many people love it?

its just a sponge, and not a very fine one at that, compared to the 'latex' type wedges. if you inspect the application in a MAGNIFYING mirror (a girls BFF) and not simply your regular mirror, you should be able to see teeny specks of pink all over your face. not only that, the finished result really isnt that great, i had to go over it with a latex wedge to get the result i need

this guests worse with every use/wash. and i think the dispensing method could be a lot simpler for the wash fluid. whats with the little dish thing, when a spout would do?

and then theres the colour loss, despite following cleansing instructions carefully and to the letter

and its laborious to use, bouncing up and down on your face

and the narrow end really isnt that narrow for 'getting into tight spots', especially when its damp. its general too big all round

so, im sticking to my foundation brushes for apply, and wedge sponges for finishing

its not even a nice pink colour, and it discolours al most immediate

and they want 100+ for a pro-pack of disposables? get outta here

so, the 2nd sponge sits as yet unused...

beauty? no. blender? no. no it my pro kit, and not in my own makeup kit

EDIT, a quick glance over the reviews tells me that pro artists are the ones who dont rate this. not just here, elsewhere on the net. says it all really

13 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2011 6:47:00 PM More reviews by MECO90

I read all of the reviews before finally buying this product, and I must say all of the positive reviews are right! It does a great job of providing coverage with thin foundation to thick foundation. One thing I will say though is I'm not actually a fan of dipping it in water first and then using it. I have found that this usually reacts with whatever makeup I'm using and makes it splotchy. Although I'm still on a hunt to find a good primer that won't break out my skin, so maybe that's the next step too! Overall is this a HG product, probably not one of mine (hard to tell a difference between this and using my fingers) but it's great for the under eye area and supplies great precesion

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2011 12:34:00 AM More reviews by tinytapa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Well, I'm late to the game on this one, I know! I've only had my BB sponges for a few months now, and I've been waiting to chime in with my opinion because, to be honest, I'm constantly up and down with this product. I've tried it with every foundation and concealer I have in my collection or could get my hands on. I agree that it does a much better job than most brushes, insofar as it doesn't streak and it deposits colour without disturbing the skin. However, I don't find it to be significantly better (I give it a slight edge!) than my Simga F80 when it comes to liquid foundation - both achieve an air-brushed finish with no steaks. The pointed end of the sponge is great for getting into corners better than a brush, such as around my nose.

Some of downsides is that I found it stains easily with liquid foundation and it needs a wash after every use! However, I deep clean my brushes once a week and I've managed to make the sponge-washing one of the steps in my makeup routine. It's also quite expensive, though mine have lasted pretty well. Some of the cheaper dupes are comparable in use but not in quality and seem to deteriorate quickly. When I wash it, the water runs pink, which makes me wonder how much dye is in this little sponge? I would prefer something more natural, I think, though I concede that it is a cute colour. I also feel that it forces me to use way too much product, as it seems to absorb a lot of my liquid product, despite only using the sponge when it's damp (instructions say this will prevent the sponge from soaking up product - I call BS on that!).

One thing this sponge has done for me is made me love my Bare Escentuals products again - nothing I have ever used previously gives me such a fantastic application of this line. I had pushed them to the back of my makeup cabinet, but now I'm using the foundation and concealers daily again thanks to the help of the BB sponge. I'm finally able to make 'Well-Rested' eye powder work for me, whereas I previously hated it.

So, I definitely recommend trying this with a few different products and lines before forming a firm opinion - it could surprise you! Right now, I'm loving it and will continue to try it out with more items (highlights, cream blushes, etc...) to see where else I can make it work for me. I would likely buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2011 8:07:00 PM More reviews by susjs

Gotta give this little pink peep some love! I had been using Sonia Kashuk's version, at half the price, and whilst that was perfectly fine in the short term, it definitely showed wear and tear quickly and began to crumble on me. Not such a bargain in the long-term. Whilst a ridiculous wad of money for a sponge--this actually gives a more natural, skin-like finish and achieves it quicker than any foundation brush I've ever tried. I dampen it slightly and blot in a towel until it's almost dry, apply a little blob of foundation to the back of my hand and dip the BB in that; then lightly bounce it onto my skin. The pointed end is perfect for blending concealer or touching up under eyes and around the nose, chin, etc. I've successfully cleaned it with a gentle shampoo [just use less than you think you need, otherwise it takes forever to rinse the soap out.] I've been using mine for over a month and it looks brand new--anything that performs this well is a worthwhile investment, especially if like me you prefer a natural no-makeup look to your skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2011 3:54:00 PM More reviews by nickitraylor

I got this from a fellow MUAer who didn't like it. I REALLY REALLY like it EXCEPT....I can't get it clean!! I use maybelline superstay makeup and it stays on the sponge like nobody's business! I use liquid soap- just bought dr bronners so maybe that will help. That being said... I love how my foundation goes on! It doesnt' seem to use more foundation than normal (others complaint). I will definitely buy this again and am so grateful to the MUAer who gave it to me to try!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2011 6:16:00 PM More reviews by glam21

So, this product is great! Like another reviewer had mentioned, which I give her a million thanks.. is that if you live in Canada, try the London Look Precision Sponge first! It's the exact same look with just a more pale pink colour and it's only $9.00! Love both of these sponges for amazing flawless application. Also, Shopper's Drugmart carries the "Quo Deluxe Foundation Sponge" and it's a big oval padded elastic-y type sponge, and it's so high-quality for $2.50

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2011 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Daniela1977

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this from my BFF Raena and i totally LOVE this sponge. I must admit that i never like anything like brushes or sponges..just used my fingers BUT this item make SUCH BIG difference to my make up. My skin & make up looks so much better. I LOVE it and will buy again for sure. THANK YOU RAENA

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2011 6:04:00 AM More reviews by tangerinna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I'm quite torn on this product.

First and foremost, my foundation is absolutely flawless with practically no effort when I use this product. I've so far used it with MUFE HD, YSL Perfect Touch and Laura Mercier (wet/dry) Powder Foundation. With all 3, absolutely perfect looking face.

The downside, I wind up using 2x the product that I normally do if I use my fingers (MUFE), brush (YSL) or a puff (LM).

Now for the pointy part of the egg.... Concealer!!!!!!! ahhhhhh. I have a love / hate relationship with this necessary monster. My normal concealer (MUFE) has it's little plastic applicator which I'm used to, but when I need more coverage, I go for my Benefit Erase Paste which is anything but user friendly!!! With this concealer I always look, now matter how I apply it (warmed and thinned, fingers or brush), 10 years older by lunchtime. I gave it a go with the pointy end of the egg and OH MY!!!! Perfection!

Honestly, I would give this product 6 lippies if I could if all that mattered was the end result of my foundation and concealer, but the amount of product wasted would bring my rating to a 3 (at most). I've gone with a 4 although I would buy it again. I definitely don't plan on using this every day, but for when I need to look extra perfect (photos, special evening), I will be using this!