beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 7/21/2012 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm a sucker for a good gimmick so I really couldn't resist this. I do not have the brand name, I have one I got on eBay for $2. But since I'm reviewing it well, I figured it's OK.

It took me a long time to try it out, but recently started on a foundation kick again so I pulled this baby out for a test run. I ran it under water and squeezed it a few times WITH the water running. The water did not soak in unless I squeezed it with the water running (or in a bowl or water) so for those who are having issues with it soaking up the foundation, make sure to try that! If I just held it under the water it stayed dry dry dry.

I squeezed the water out so it felt damp and gave it a go. I use AeroMinerale foundation. I put on E.LF. primer first. I first put the foundation on my hand, then dabbed it over my face with my fingers. Then I used the beauty blender to "bounce" around my face, just kind of sponging rather than rubbing. It took a little while to get the hang of it, but once I did I was amazed. The coverage was second to none and I looked perfectly smooth. I went to show my friend and she went, "wow your foundation is actually incredibly smooth!"

I used to hate foundation, but this little sponge has actually made me start using it again! It gives the most flawless finish I've ever had. Better than a really good foundation brush and WAY better than my fingers. I highly recommend you give this a shot. If you don't want to commit to something so expensive, the ebay one I got works great.

on 7/19/2012 7:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Love this little sponge, its really worth the hype. My foundation is perfectly blended and never streaky. I love how it grows when you wet it. Just remember its really delicate so never scrub it hard to wash it. I have found that its easier to clean when its slightly damp to dry, rather than when its wet. I like this far more than a brush.

Also, to people that are freaked out by pink dye: they make a white one with no dye at all called Beautyblender Pure (my personal favorite).

And to those who get bugged by the staining, they make a black one called Beautyblender Pro.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I can see why some people are underwhelmed by this. It is expensive for a sponge. However, in my book it does do what it claims to do. I've found that it makes application of makeup easier, faster, and better looking with less work. I have used this sponge with a few different foundations and it gave great results with every one except NARS Sheer Matte (which is a junk foundation, no fault to the sponge.) I got a 2-pack with no cleanser for about $25 from Sephora, so I think I got a pretty good deal. If I had spent $20 on just one sponge I might be singing a different song, but overall I do like the product. I like that it makes layering products much easier, and faster. My only real problem is that I've almost thrown it away like five times. Otherwise, solid product if you use liquid or cream foundations and want to customize your coverage.

on 6/20/2012 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow..I heard about this and thought I would give it a try...it has been weeks and the amount of pink dye coming out is alarming...I don't know why it is pink to begin with..I enjoy organic products for the most part, this seems pretty toxic to use on my skin

on 6/20/2012 10:56:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

WOWWW! It's really all I can say. Yes it's hyped up and expensive but it really works! I was completely surprised at what this little thing can do. I used it with Revlon age defying, Revlon color stay and Lancome teint idole so far. It really gives that luminous, airbrushed look. I did a double take every time I saw myself in the mirror. When my husband saw me the first time I used this, he said wow, your make up looks glowing. He never comments on my makeup and I wasn't wearing anything new/different.

on 6/16/2012 7:55:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I think how much you like this might depend on the products you are using with the BB. This works very well with my L'oreal True Match foundation. True Match is a thin formula, and doesn't work very well with a brush. The tapping and rolling actions used with the BB and the True Match created a beautiful finish.
When it comes to using my MUFE HD, I prefer using a brush. I found the HD difficult to blend when out when using the BB. It looked a bit cakey.
edit: do yourself a favor and watch a few youtube videos on application. I watched a few tutorials and realized I wasn't reallly using this correctly. When I did use it the right way, I really liked it and the finish it gave me. I'm upping this to 4 lippies.

on 5/29/2012 8:14:00 AM

To apply foundation i would rate this low but for finishing and blending makeup i would rate this highly, great for dry skin!!
I like this product but not for applying foundation to the whole face as i feel the sponge absorbs to much product even when damp. If you wanted to use double the amount of foundation then it could give the same finish as a brush but why bother?. I apply my foundation with a foundation brush and bounce the BB over to give a dewy finish, i do the same with my concealer too and the finish is great! i would repurchase for this purpose only.

on 5/20/2012 3:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Seriously, I have combination, flaky, sensitive, dry, patchy, oily T-zone, old-acne scarred skin. Lovely, no? It's a HG product for me. I use it apply my foundation (of course), blush, bronzer, concealer AND powder. Seamless. Great coverage.

Works great for liquid, cream, gel foundations. However, in order not to waste it, apply it directly on your face then bounce around the BB.
I clean mine by soaking it in Cetaphil for a few minutes or baby shampoo if it needs deeper cleansing.

The great thing with the BB is, after you're done with your face, remember to get your eyelids, ears and jawline and neck.

Secret: Use a damp (almost dry) BB to apply your MSF Natural. It sets your makeup for hours. I live in Singapore and I have sweaty face and an oily T-Zone and my make up still holds up after hours of dancing.

on 5/16/2012 12:55:00 PM

This review is going to do double duty as I am not only reviewing the BB, but also comparing/reviewing it to the SoHo Beauty dupe that a lot of folks have been talking about.

I finally bit the dust and purchased 3 BeautyBlenders. I also went ahead and purchased the London SoHo dupe at Walgreens for under $6 (on sale as it's d/c) In my pic, the SoHo is on the left and has been used about 4 times. In the middle is my BB that I've been using for about a month. On the right is my brand new/never used BB.

The SoHo is denser and while soft, is not as soft as the BB (altho it is softer than Sonia Kashuk's sponge). It performs about the same as the BB - takes a few more stipples to get my liquid foundation blended in as nicely as the BB. I actually did the left side of my face w/ the SoHo and the right w/ the BB = 10 more bounces w/ the SoHo to get that side of my face to look like the BB side, which you know from other glowing reviews is an airbrushed look. :)

The SoHo is already showing a few tiny tears after 4 uses. The BB started showing the same little tears after my 4th use too - WHAT IS UP W/ THAT??? For the amount of $ BB is charging, these sponges SHOULD NOT be showing such signs of wear/tear after only 4 uses (and yes, I wash gently w/ my DIY cleanser and I do not have long nails) I deducted 1 lippie for the crappy construction.

Of interest is that I have found once I have used the BB, it never goes back to its original size. Its hard to tell from my pic, the the used BB is definitely fatter and taller than the BN BB.

I got pink coloring discharge thru the first 5 washings of the BB. (I have not yet washed the Soho). The BB is permanently discolored by my foundation no matter how much washing I do = kinda annoying.

Both sponges give my skin an almost flawless, kinda dewy finish. If too dewy = lightly dust w/ powder. I use the BB and the SoHo for both my powder and liquid foundations = love that versatility. I have temporarily retired my foundation brushes as my becoming-slightly-drier-skin seems to like this application method more currently.

Bottom line - I was all set to recommend getting the SoHo over the BB, but since the SoHo is d/c...I guess until someone else comes up w/ another decent dupe, I will stick to my BB in spite of the aforementioned drawbacks because, frankly the pros definitely outweigh the cons. :)

BTW - SoHo made a 2nd version of the sponge - it was the exact softness/denseness of the BB, but shaped like a football = kinda useless shape IMO. It too is d/c.

UPDATE 05-29-12 - so, I was recently watching the House series finale in which the 1st hour was a tribute/backstage access to the cast/crew and the 2nd hour was actually the final episode. During the 1st hour, whilest interviewing one of the show's make-up artists, (and I can't recall which actor she was working on during the short interview), I did note that she was using a BB sponge to apply the foundation - SWEET!

For a bigger pic of the 3 sponges side by side, please see my review for the SOHO sponge - for some reason, I can't get that bigger pic to work for my BB review...sorry.

on 5/15/2012 8:21:00 PM

I have to admit that I am a creature of habit. I am running out of the cleanser, so for a while, I have actually been contemplating purchasing more. But then I thought, why, do I even like the beautyblender? And I came to the shocking realization that I donít. Hereís why:
1.I donít like to have to wet them. You really have to do this at the bathroom sink to evenly distribute the water, and I donít do my makeup in the bathroom;
2.I find that they soak up too much product;
3.I find it disconcerting that after several years of use, washing every 2-3 days, the water still turns pink when I wash them. I also somehow tore one of them. Not sure how since I donít have long nails;
4.I find it obnoxious that the cleanser is the only thing that cleans them. And it doesnít even work that wellóyou have to find the spots of foundation on them and then blob the cleanser on the spot and rub it--- too time-consuming and the cleanser is expensive;
5.Most importantly, I donít like how my makeup looks when I use them. It looks too watered down and unpolished, almost like I didnít bother putting on my makeup. This happens regardless of whether I squeeze the water out really well.
So when my cleanser runs out, I will be retiring my beautyblender.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools