beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 2/5/2013 6:15:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This review is for the actual brand name BeautyBlender.

Bottom line: IT IS COMPLETELY WORTH THE $20. In fact, it's the most economical option.

Why? Because it lasts so long. Whereas the only comparably soft dupes I found (Soho football shape, Essence teardrop) started falling apart the minute they got wet. The Soho lasted a grand total of 3 weeks before the shreds were too small to continue using.

At the time of this edit my BB has lasted 7 months and looks brand new apart from slight foundation stains.

7 months = roughly 28 weeks. That is, conservatively, 9 Soho sponge lifetimes, or over $60.

It's just gravy that it also works slightly better than the dupes. It's softer than any of the dupes I tried. It soaks up less foundation than any of the dupes I tried. It washes and rinses out more easily than any of the dupes I tried. And it does blend better than any of the dupes I've tried. It's refreshing to see a product that at least does what it claims without being identical to any of dozens of knockoffs.

I wear my foundation light-to-medium so I can't comment on the full coverage achievable with the Beautyblender. But I'm very happy with the application; I have some flakes from Retin-a that the bouncing motion does not raise up/call attention to, and it also doesn't disturb my sunscreen layer, which I worried about when I used a brush to finish my foundation.

on 1/28/2013 9:36:00 PM

I was very sceptical about all this Beauty blender hype, I can't imagine myself buying a sponge for 20$. The bb I own is from bellabeauty company, which cost me only 5$ at TJ Max and i just adore it!
I have always preferred to apply my foundation with fingers rather than with brush or wedges, but since I bought bb I don't want to even look back. It's much easier. As its recommended I like to damp it before applying foundation, this way I can reach that natural finish like better version of my own skin. The texture of the bb is not the same as latex free wedges, it's more spongy and airy and it gives more natural airbrushed finish. The shape of the bb let's easily apply foundation around nose and eyes, which i can't do with my fingers.
I've been using it for 1 and a half month. It is still in a good shape even though I wash it after every application.
NOTE: I just realized that there are reviews on sponges of beauty blender brand.
As I mentioned above my beauty sponge from BeLLABEAUTY brand. However, I want to leave my review here for those who want to try bb, but find it too expensive.
I do think that bb is way too overpriced for 20$. The quality of the blender I have is excellent and it's affordable. Check your local Marshall or TJ Max.

I will continue repurchasing this bb blender as far as it will be available at the same price.
Update: to keep my b. blender free of germs I started to keep it in the freezer overnight. I don't know how effective it can be but as said above I wash it after every use plus put it in a freezer and so far the sponge didn't lost its shape and in good working condition. When I need it I put it under hot water to let the ice melt. I must say it doesn't melt completely fast, but enough to apply makeup.
I think dipping the sponge into water diluted with3% peroxide will also help, but I haven't tried yet. I will update on this one too.

on 1/28/2013 7:59:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I've never used sponges before but after all the hype I gave in bought a double pack of the Beautyblender. You use this sponge either just like that or by soaking it into water and squeezing out the excess. The damp sponge will grow and become fluffy for an easy and even application. The sponge gives a finish that is similar if not the same as with the MAC 187.

The downside of this product is that it soaks up the liquid foundation and I end up using a lot more foundation than I would with a brush. The sponge is also very hard to clean and does not last as long as brushes.

If you are interested in using the sponge you might want to check out a cheaper alternative which is the Cosmopolitan Blend Perfection Sponge.

on 1/28/2013 7:20:00 PM

For almost as long as I've been wearing makeup, I've always used my fingers too apply foundation. It's just worked best for me. I've found that brushes tend too give me a lighter coverage than I'm used to, and I feel like I have so much more control if I used my own hands. Sponges are just expensive to constantly re-purchase, and I feel they use up too much valuable product. This tool, though, is the best of both worlds. I truly feel like I have control over how much product goes where, and it blends seamlessly. It's like nothing I've ever used before. The $20 price may seem expensive for a beauty tool, but it's so worth it, especially if you ignore the gimmick-y cleanser that comes with it. That makes it costlier. The beauty blender does amazing things with almost any foundation I've tried, and the shape lets you fit it into tight spaces like under your eyes and around the nose. I'm very, very happy with this, and it's totally revolutionized the way I apply my makeup. Give it a try if you're on the fence. I think it's way worth the hype.

on 1/25/2013 6:33:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I resisted the hype of buying the Beautyblender for years mostly because of the high price but I was lucky to receive the duo pack for Christmas. All I can say is, it's not overrated and is a fantastic little sponge for applying foundation, pressed and loose powder. The flawless, seamless finish is one I've never quite managed to get with a brush, and I've owned several including; the Sigma F80, F82, F84, MAC 187, Everyday Minerals Flat Top Kabuki and the Real Techniques Buffing and Stippling brushes. I just adore how flawless and buffed in it makes heavy liquid and cream foundations look on my skin. The pointed tip works well under the eyes for precise concealer application or blending too. I also own the Cosmopolitan 'Blend Perfection' sponge and it's a very worthy dupe but the Beautyblender reigns supreme for me.

EDIT - January 2014 - after a few months of using the Cosmopolitan 'Blend Perfection' sponge, I've gone back to using the Beautyblender and will not be using any other sponge, it is honestly in a league of it's own. I've actually started to use it to apply my Banana Powder and it works so well, it's such a fabulous multi-tasking sponge!

on 1/12/2013 4:26:00 PM

I love this! I finally found the best thing to put on my bare minerals and my other makeup as well! I have been using bare minerals for at least 15 years (I am 59) and finally a way to put it on that eliminates fall-out and minerals wasted all over the sink. The first time I put it on I only did my foundation and I was stunned at the smooth air-brushed look. This morning I tried it to put on my eyeshadow, and even though I wear a dark color in my crease (soul sister) it still came out terrific. I also used it today to put on a powdered blush, a powdered bronzer, and concealer. I bought the pack with 2 and the cleanser. Today I ended up using both of them, as I used the pointy end of one for my concealer around my nose and eyes, and the other one I used the pointy end for my bare minerals shadow. What a joy to clean with the cleanser. Amazing that after all these years of using makeup I found a new tool. I am so pleased. Thanks to all of you, or without reading the reviews, I never would have even heard of it. Try using it for your mineral makeup! Less waste and a beautiful look.

on 1/11/2013 10:56:00 AM

For large areas of my face like my cheeks and forehead I can see that the affect is pretty smooth but my use of this sponge is limited. I find it really hard to get around the contours of the face like the nose, chin and eyes. The next problem is the application is very sheer and I use dermablend! So for areas where I need heavier coverage for my rosacea I go back to a brush. I hate the way it uses up double the amount of product for such sheer application. My favorite use of this product is to blend the outer edges of the face where I want very sheer application anyway and then use brushes for the intimate parts in the center of the face.

on 1/1/2013 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I finally caved in to buy this product. For you girls in Canada don't buy it from Sephora because the price compared to sites online is insane! I got mine off cherrycuture.com. It's site is great! I also love NYX products so I got a bunch of those plus my beauty blender for much cheaper than in Canada. Overall this is for sheer coverage so I wouldn't recommend this to those who like or need full coverage. However for those looking for a sheer to light medium natural coverage I'd most definitely recommend this! Happy shopping.

on 12/31/2012 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I buy this sponge over and over again.. it is well worth the $20.00.. I have bought knockoffs of the Beauty Blender, even the sephora version and it just doesn't compare. This is great for patting, blending, esp. around crease areas and evening out makeup/concealer/foundation. If you are on the fence.. buy it! One of my favorite tools!

on 12/31/2012 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I resisted buying this for years because I thought it was gimmicky, but after I caved and bought a pack of two BB, I have no regrets! When used damp, the BB sponge gives almost all my foundations that perfect, skin-like finish without making it cakey, too thin or too thick. I like applying my foundation in dots all over my face first and then using a damp BB to stipple it out. Even matte foundations like MUFE Mat Velvet and Revlon Colorstay look more natural when applied this way. Honestly, the Beauty Blender makes all my foundation brushes and my other sponges obsolete. (I threw about half my brushes after buying this sponge. I wish I found it sooner so I didn't have to waste so much money on brushes!)

Even if you're a skeptic about this product like I was, I recommend giving it a try. Its density and shape makes it superior to applying foundation, even though I'm not sure how it does such a thing. The round part of the "egg" shape can be used to stipple foundation over large areas of your face, while the pointier end is helpful for wrapping around the corners of your nose.

EDIT: You don't need to buy the actual BB cleanser. I just use my foaming makeup remover to clean my BB, although I've heard of people just using Dove soap or something similar to do it. The pink version WILL bleed (which is normal) and both the pink and white versions will stain, so there's no way around it.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools