August 29, 2014 | 1914 users online

Masks - Aztec Secret - Indian Healing Clay

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2007 6:20:00 PM More reviews by r2136178

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Despite the rave reviews, I really disliked this mask. First of all, the smell is unpleasant because your supposed to mix apple cider vinegar with the clay. I don't find the smell of vinegar to be nice, least of all on my face where I can really smell it. Secondly, the mask dries up so much that it is actually painful for me. Your skin pulsates because the mask dries to the point that it feels like concrete and your skin is being pulled to extremes. Thirdly, once I washed it off, I saw no noticeable change in the appearance or texture of my skin. If I'm going to to through the trouble of mixing it up by scratch, putting up with the bad smell, and enduring pain, I should see some sort of improvement to make it worth my time. For a good clay mask, I like Got2Be's Pure Intent. You can see the oil being sucked up and the smell is pleasant. No pain, either.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2007 11:33:00 PM More reviews by msilvia3

Well this is the first mask I have used in a long time. My skin was recovering from a fraxel treatment that left me very irritated. Anyway, I love this mask. I have used it five times, just mixing it with water. I feel the pulsating, the tightening and the “cleaning” feeling. I am scared to mix it with anything else because my skin is so sensitive. For so long my skin has been unpredictable with excessive oiliness and breakouts. I finally am balancing my hormones and thing are looking really good. YEAH. This works great though. I think it has really made a difference. I try to be positive. I might try a drop of tea tree oil next time. Will definitely buy again

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2007 6:19:00 PM More reviews by pitterpatterson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I agree with Jade777 about mixing it with honey, ACV and a little water--every time I have tried mixing it with water it turns into a glop of unmanageable half-mixed gunk.

However, with that concoction, (and sometimes a little rosewater instead of plain water, or essential oils if I am feeling fancy) I like this mask a lot.

You can control how thick or astringint it is depending on what you add, which is great, so all in all I like it a lot. It also seems to pull skin crud to the surface, which is the point of a mask, is it not?

And, all natural! Always a bonus!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2007 12:46:00 AM More reviews by Aurorales

Great mask. It reminds me of a mask I used in the 80's. It was called Mudd Mask. This product is practically the same except it is in powder form and you add whatever liquid you want to turn it into a paste.
Since it is in a powder form, the shelf life is wonderful.
Anyway, I mix it 1:1 with apple cider vinegar. I have heard it is also great with milk.
It really does tighten really well and basically sucks everything out of your skin. (At least it feels like it does) It isn't painful just a little intense as it dries. I leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
After rinsing (with a lot of warm water and a washcloth), my skin is a little flushed and wonderfully soft. The redness goes away within 30 minutes for me, but the glow it gives my skin lasts for days.
This is an inexpensive wonderful product. After using it I feel like I just had a really good professional facial.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2007 2:39:00 AM More reviews by jade777

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A good cleansing mask, I mix a teaspoon with a little Apple cider vinegar which helps it fizz and makes it easy to mix without getting lumpy, some water and a bit of raw honey. Somedays my skin turns red after using this, but that's just temporary. I've noticed the blackheads on my nose disappearing after just a few uses

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2007 5:07:00 PM More reviews by bumblebeezer

I picked this up on a whim while browsing at my drugstore and I'm so glad I did! This is an incredibly effective mask that you can mix in whatever you want to customize. First time I just tried water, and it didn't work as well, it doesnt mix and stays kinda lumpy. Second time I used some diluted ACV and you get a great texture. It's almost scary how tight this mask gets! Definitely not one of those masks you feel like you can leave on for hours and chat on the phone with. I was a QHMJM fan until I bought this one, I find that my pores are much smaller and it's great for those huge zits that you want to shrink/come to a head. I can't wait to experiment a little more and see what are some good add-ins. O yes, and very inexpensive =)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2007 1:10:00 PM More reviews by virgy123

I've been using this for so long, I took it for granted and never occured to me to review it, LOL!

I buy 1 lb. of this at either a healthfood or conventional grocery store and spend between $6 - $8 USD, depending upon where I buy it. It lasts forever!

That it comes in powder form contributes to the sheer versatility of this product. I can mix up a teaspoon of clay to 1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar when I really want to draw out the oil, or mix it up with 1/2 tsp. ACV and 1 heaping tsp. of organic plain yogurt for a more cooling effect.

I used to mix it up with ACV and uncoated aspirin, but I've gone off the aspirin mask, preferring to obtain my BHA in other forms.

One combination I've found to be best for smooth, glowing skin:
1 heaping tsp. clay
1 heaping tsp. plain organic yogurt
1 level tsp. royal jelly

Leave on for 30 minutes, then rinse with tepid water. The downside is this is messy! The plus side, is you're really feeding your skin with the yogurt and honey, while tightening pores with the clay.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2007 11:13:00 AM More reviews by olivia1173

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Have used this mask twice and I am under the impression that I have found my HG mask. The first time I mixed it with water and left it on for a very short time....it sucked out all the black heads on my nose in no time flat...no redness and no "pulsating" like it promised. The second time I used ACV and the mixing was much easier (almost like a fizzy foam) and i stirred it until it got "mask consistancy". I applied and left on for about an hour. I felt MAJOR pulsating...like my heart was beating in my face. It tried very tight and got a little painful on my forehead. I rinsed it off by filling the sink with hot water and used a washcloth to soak/steam it off. My face is radiant today! My pores are tight and clean and my face has such a glow!!! I will be using this mask for a long time! THIS IS A MUST BUY!!! You can add vit E or mix with rose water if you are dry....add tea tree oil if you are acne prone. Its fab! So happy I found this reviewed on this forum!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2007 6:48:00 AM More reviews by masaya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried this at least three times, first with the ACV as a mixing medium. I usually say a bit more about a product regardless my rating, but this one broke me out! The very next day there were three gigantic bright red pimples on my face. I was blemish free for more than a month, the longest in the past 6 months. Thanks to this (the only new product in my usual regimen), my skin has not recovered yet. Tried this with water and the other time with aloe vera, my face felt itchy. So I stopped it. For reference, I have very oily and acne-prone skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2007 10:46:00 PM More reviews by tanassa02

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I would disagree with the reviewer below. While in GENERAL, clay masks aren't that great for dry skin, this mask is INCREDIBLY customizable. So one can add vitamin E, glycerin, or other beneficial ingredients to suit your needs. I've used it twice, once with ACV, Vit E and Glycerin, and the other time with just ACV and Vit C. With the first use, the mask wasn't ad drawing or pulsating as I'd expected based on the reviews, but it did help to bring a few issues to the surface, which i think is what a mask is supposed to do. The second time was Pulse city. I left it on to dry completely, and wore it for a total of about 1.5 hours. It was pulsating the whole time once it dried, and my skin was really taught. Even though i have pretty dry skin, i like this mask a lot. And i can always make it more hydrating that plain clay alone, and add more goodies to boot..