July 29, 2014 | 1221 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2011 9:14:00 AM More reviews by princessmaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I work in Holland and Barrett and I purchased this when it was on a half price offer and i must say its one of the best £6's iv spent yet. some mnay say it can be pricey but..coconut oil lasts A VERY LONG time! it stays in the fridge and is solid. I melt it between my hands and put it on slightly damp hair. it works great for hair to keep it shiny and in condition. the smell isnt overpowering - it is a sweet, light scent :) its great for putting on to dry scalps too.
it also can be used for cooking! iv used it before on toast (delicious).
it can help with weight loss.
during my training at a health shop i went on many courses to keep up to date with products. on a course in London i was told this story: some farmers wanted to fatten up their cows. they discovered coconut oil and believed this would to the trick. however, they found that the cows were losing weight! this is because coconut oil uses stored fat as enegry which in turn helps u to lose weight. i am unsure as to whether this story is factual or not !
coconut oil can also be used on the skin. i've yet to try it is a moisturisor but im sure its fantastic. (after i rub it into my hair and scalp my hands are left feeling baby soft)
its a must have!!
x

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2011 9:00:00 PM More reviews by bnanaphone246

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

coconut oil is absolutely fantastic. i have struggled with KP(keratosis pilaris) all over my body for so long. i've tried lots of different moisturizers but they never really seemed to have any lasting effect. i read about coconut oil here, and i had some in my kitchen so i decided to try it out by testing it on my arm, where i have a lot of particularly stubborn bumps. the next day it was easy to tell where i applied the coconut oil because there was a very clear line of demarcation-part of my skin was bumpy as always, but on the other part, the bumps had disappeared!! its been several weeks now and im still absolutely thrilled with what it does for my skin. between this, dove visible care bodywash, and salux bath towels, i can finally stop wasting money and energy trying to fix my KP, and stop feeling embarassed about the texture of my skin. as an added bonus, it's done wonders for strengthening my nails. i thought it was normal for nails to grow to a certain length and then get all snaggly,until i noticed how much nicer my nails were getting.
im afraid to use this as a facial moisturizer, as it is considered comedonegenic, (or however you spell that) but its great for oil-pulling. i find it helps cure junkfood cravings. still have to try it out as a conditioner.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2011 9:57:00 AM More reviews by lallen08

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought some coconut oil after reading the reviews here. I've used it on my hair, my face as a moisturizer, as an eye make up reviewer, and in scrubs. It smells fabulous of course, and I like how it feels on my skin. It doesn't seem to absorb into my face as well as olive oil - in the morning there's always a slight film left where with olive oil there isn't - but I don't care for the smell of olive oil and have yet to find a good way to mask it with other essential oils. All in all coconut oil is a good value and a keeper. Also excellent to cook with.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2011 1:46:00 PM More reviews by tsaraya29

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

When it comes to coconut oil, I'm like that Frank's Red Hot Sauce Commercial - ' I put that *ish on everything'. LOL
Coconut oil is one of the best product discoveries I've made in the past year and I use it all over, hair, skin, massage, etc. Probably the only thing I have yet to use it for is actually cooking!
Edited 10/24 - Oh and did I forget to mention that coconut oil is also an anti-microbial? This is one of those supernatural products.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2011 1:10:00 PM More reviews by prblms4loki

I purchased the Everyday Values organic unfiltered Coconut Oil from the grocery section at Whole Foods. It comes in a 14 oz jar, so for hair products, that makes this pretty cheap. It works fairly well. I slather it over my dry hair and massage into my scalp. I cover it with a plastic shower cap, and let it soak in for about an hour. Then I shampoo twice with moisturizing shampoo, and then condition as usual. After my hair is no longer dripping wet, I take a little more of the oil in my hands and rub it through the ends of my damp hair. Then I blow dry, without any additional product, and sleep on it. The next morning, I have the best hair I've had, in a long long time. My hair hasn't looked this shiny in years. Possibly ever.
I'll try it next time with air-drying it, which I have never ever been able to do with any type of product or haircut or perm, so I will update with new results when I have tried it!

I do recommend you try this if you have rough, coarse, or dry hair. I also have dandruff sometimes, and so I tried massaging this into my scalp, with no bad effects. My dandruff isn't gone, per se, but it's reduced, certainly. My hair looks gorgeous, and finally has settled into waves, which is a vast improvement from its formerly schizophrenic curl/straight state.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2011 10:21:00 PM More reviews by ggiron77

This review is for extra virgin, 100% organic, cold press coconut oil. A bit of a background; I suffer from a scalp condition and have been to numerous dermatologists who go back and forth between scalp psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis (personally, I think it is psoriasis because my scalp is not at all greasy, as is mostly the case with seborrheic dermatitis. My scalp is extremely dry but what puzzles doctors is the fact that I do not have psoriasis on any other part of my body, so there in lies the confusion. Anyway, I would save I have mild to severe scalp psoriasis and the only thing that would help was a lotion that contains steroids. I'm not a fan of taking too much of any medication but the flare ups get very bad, several times a week. I have been no-poo (shampoo free), using baking soda/ACV for about six months now but not even this helped. It is a difficult condition to live with and I was seeking for something more natural and efficient to help my scalp.

Enter Extra Virgin Coconut Oil! I was looking for something that would help reduce pore size and coconut oil was suggested. I did some research and there were mixed reviews about pore reduction but I did see many people say they put it in their hair and people with dry scalp swear by it. I didn't see a lot of feedback from scalp psoriasis sufferers but I really had nothing to lose.

I bought it yesterday because I was having a particularly bad flare up and put it on today, leaving it on my scalp for two hours. This stuff is amazing. My scalp doesn't have the extremely dry flakes. I would say it reduced it by 80% and my scalp feels smooth and that's just with one application! I'm floored by this.

For anyone suffering with scalp psoriasis, this is it! I would say applying it one to two times a week would be best. Just make sure it is the Extra Virgin, 100% organic because when applying to the scalp (or other parts of your body) you want it to be as natural as possible and chemical and dye free, if not it may cause more flare ups.

Next, I will try it on my face to see if it will reduce my large pores. I shall update with my results. Love this stuff!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2011 2:02:00 PM More reviews by Juno77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is so comedogenic its funny. BUT I love to put it in smoothies and fry with it. Maybe use it on my cuticles.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2011 5:34:00 PM More reviews by JadoreJessica

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My hairs been to hell and back over the past 3/4 years, every colour under the sun, you name it, I've had it. While having a ganders in Holland & Barrett, I came across this little beauty; I remembered reading rave reviews about it, so I chucked it in my basket and rushed home to try it on my hair. I've never looked back. I can now brush my hair without fear of it falling out in clumps, my hair actually moves it isn't all straw like, it looks supple and shiny. I can't rate coconut oil enough, it's a god send and unlike other products that claim to restore my hair, it doesn't leave a gaping hole in my purse! I LOVE it. I like to leave it on overnight after putting it on dry hair, and wrapping my hair up in an old scarf (think 1950's house wife doing the chores, very attractive) then wash and dry in the morning :) result? Fab hair ;)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I noticed my hair started to be really thin (they have always been very fine) so I red a lot of great reviews about Coconut Oil. It took me a while to find it, as they are really expensive (in Canada) and its not that easy to find Virgin, Organic and Cold pressed at the same time. Health stores has many of them but over $20. Finally I found one, that is actually new, it is not only from the whites of coconut but also the little darker skin, that gives more flavour and scent. I love it, smells like Bounty, so yummy! Its called Dr. Bronner's "Magic All-One" Whole Kernel Unrefined Coconut Oil, and it is 414 ml, 14 oz jar (Organic, Virgin, cold pressed) for $10.25. I used it for:
HAIR: First day I applied it to my hair and let it stay for couple of hours, it felt really nice (no leaks, etc as it is usually from most of the masks) and it smells so nice! Unlike Olive oil that I couldnt wash out even after 2 trys, this one came out ok and my hair felt so silky, smooth and full afterwards! I absolutely couldnt believe it! I will keep using it at least once a week and see if my hair becomes stronger.
HANDS: I got some little rash on my hands and it didnt go away for a few days, until once I applied Neosporin (it became much better). But after getting Coconut Oil, I applied it during night and next day it was almost all gone. Now I use it on my hands to moisturize it and the rash hasnt come back. I love that it soaks into skin pretty fast and doesnt seem too oily. And I just adore the smell.

I only wish there were smaller container specially for travel. They sell only big jars that is not easy to carry with.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2011 1:39:00 PM More reviews by geektastic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have straight, very thick, Asian hair that generally always looks fairly healthy and shiny. However, ever since I started using henna and coconut oil on my straight Asian hair, it has been gleaming and stronger than it has ever been.

Here is my favorite way to use it: I rub a generous amount into dry hair, ears down, before I shower. Not so much that, say, it's totally coated and all my hair is piecey lol- enough so that I wouldn't leave the house with hair that greasy looking. Then, I shampoo as normal - I never shampoo ears down, I concentrated on my roots, then bundle up my ends in my hands as I rinse, to minimize drying. Thus, all the oil is pretty much still in the hair. Then, I add conditioner from the ears down, pull my hair into a bun, and stick it in a shower cap for about 5 min while I shave, do body wash, etc. before rinsing out the conditioner. The conditioner sort of melts with the oil so that, believe it or not, my hair does NOT turn out greasy even though I never shampooed it out. I've found that almost no matter how much oil I put in pre-shampoo, it will never turn out greasy - but I've found that putting in too much just doesn't look as good afterwards. It might take some trial & error to find your optimal amount. But I've found mine, and my hair always ends up to sleek and shiny!

I also like to rub a bit through dry hair. Or, before I'm about to clarify my hair, I will put in a very generous amount roots to ends, then shampoo the entire length of my hair.

I use CO as a body moisturizer as well. I used to use EVOO on my body, but I think CO sinks in better and leaves a prettier sheen. Also, I much prefer the smell - after all, coconut is something that is actually used often in body lotion and body sprays... olive oil, not so much.

I use unrefined virgin coconut oil from Trader Joe's, about $5 for a huge tub. What a great deal!