October 21, 2014 | 1809 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2008 12:51:00 AM More reviews by cuppajean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using this for over two years. I find every time I try to stop using it my acne returns. It is the only skin treatment that has worked for me consistently. I need to use it daily or every other day. I get the .05% RX.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2007 5:10:00 PM More reviews by Justina17

I used this years ago but I had such sensitive skin back then and didn't know how to make it stop hurting. I got the .05 cream and paid less for it (without insurance) than what I was going to pay for the Avene cream (which I'm sorry, smells like old lady's perfume). It's been only a week but I'm already noticing a big difference.

I did make a big mistake and used Olay Perfecting cream on my first off day. Man did my skin peel.

EDIT: My skin is really getting used to this and getting better. Just a little peeling on the top of my nose (a little coconut oil and its gone). The fine lines are fading fast. Mind you just started appearing a few weeks before I started using the RetinA. I'm very pleased. I am thinking of using Taz Gel in the summer but for now I'll stick with this. I did get a pimple on my chin this morning but nothing serious. I'm not complaining!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2007 11:25:00 AM More reviews by sp427

I've read this board for years and have never posted, and like many people who finally get their skin problems under control, I just haven't checked the boards lately. I'm probably a few months late with this posting, but here goes. I'm 27 and have had bad acne since I was 12/13. I have brown acne-prone skin and lots of pi-hyperpigmentation. I've tried just about EVERYthing to get rid of it (including derm prescriptions, proactive, 20-65% glycolic/ 55% lactic / 12-25% TCA / 3 day skin culture peels, pretty much all of the OTC stuff you can buy, egg yolk/ queen helene/ aspirin/ pumpkin/ green apple masks, lemon, ACV, CP, and even Retin A when I was younger), but nothing worked.

Based off of the reviews on the site, I ordered Retin A back in Feb of this year. Like many ppl, I didn't want to try it b/c of the initial purging and like most acne-sufferers, I want results now, not 6 months from now. But, I figured that my skin was already so bad, how much worse could it possibly get. I got the .05% cream, started using it nightly, and within 1 week I noticed a difference. I never experienced the dreaded purging, but I did have some peeling (and I'll take the peeling over acne anyday!). I didn't have to wait 6 weeks or 6 months to see an effect, and now that it's been 9 months, I notice a huge difference in my skin. My under-the-skin bumps are gone, and I can't remember the last time I had a painful cyst or a pimple so embarrassing that I didn't want to leave the house. I've used it consistently (I moved up to 0.1% cream after my first tube of .05 b/c I have tough skin), and I do still get a few small pimples once in a while, but nothing too noticeable, embarrassing, or long-term (usually a day or 2 and they're gone).

Also, I haven't altered my diet (I still eat tons of chocolate/sweets on a daily basis) and I don't exercise (although this will change after Jan 1 :). The only products I use are my MD Forte glycolic III cleanser (20% glyc acid), 15% glycolic toner, sunscreen during the day, and Retin A at night. Sometimes for more of a peeling effect, I'll layer it on a few times a day (this was something I learned from someone on this board, and although its less noticeable now, I do still have hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone, so I'll live with the peeling).

ITO expense, I've literally spent thousands of dollars (really!) on acne and red-mark (in my case brown mark) treatments in the last 10 years and I wish I had tried this again sooner. I actually purchase this from an online Mex pharmacy for about $24 for a 40g tube (another tip I learned from a poster on this chain). I can't tell you enough how worth it this was, and how thankful I am to the rest of you for posting about this product!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2007 1:36:00 AM More reviews by thaixng

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am so grateful for Retin-A. I have suffered with acne for so long, and nothing worked. And then I went on Retin-A. This is the only treatment that has kept my acne under control. Although i still get blemishes from time to time, it has improved greatly. I've been using it for 2.5 years now, and it has helped my acne, pores, and overall refined my skin. There is a initial red, peeling, dryness, and breakout phase, but if you just stick with it, your skin will thank you in the end! It's kind of expensive, but well-worth it. Plus, its also a preventative measure for wrinkles!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/2/2007 9:33:00 PM More reviews by keco52

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used this product a few years ago. They only thing it succeeded in doing was make my face peel like crazy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2007 5:29:00 PM More reviews by annaamin

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

ive been using this for a while now and i does find that it makes my skin quite dry so in the day i have peelies but also very oily skin :(. but my skin is absolutely glowing and my keratosis pilaris and my acne is gone. i sometimes alternate retin a with a face oil (for moisturization) at night, and it doesnt affect how the retin a works. i am addicted to this stuff! my skin has never looked so good and i have never looked so glowy and healthy!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/26/2007 1:43:00 AM More reviews by Bridgetr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This didn't work for me. I used it on and off for years, and I never got to a point where it wasn't really irritating. Much worse, it made no difference in my acne. I also tried Retin-A Micro and it was the same story. However, I now use another prescription retinoid Tazorac, and this irritates me a LOT less and does well smoothing my skin. If you find Retin-A doesn't work, consider Tazorac or Differin.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2007 11:35:00 AM More reviews by INDICAN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great exfoliator, but use sparingly. You need a Px for this. Use sunscreen!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2007 9:30:00 PM More reviews by camillacamilla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using Retin A for almost six months. While I have yet to see any anti-aging effects, it has helped keep my skin relatively clear. I used to get hormonal, cystic chin and jawline breakouts and this has eliminated them. I do still flake and peel on my chin and around my mouth from time to time, not really sure why. I am hoping eventually this will help with the fine lines I am beginning to get.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2007 8:47:00 PM More reviews by gabiinchicago

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love Retin-A .1% - I can apply this two nights in a row, and then three days later have a complete peel without the down time of being red or dry. The peel doesn't come in sections; it just happens one day, so you've got a clean slate! I love it, but I never use it more than 2-3 times a month, or I can get a little sensitive.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No