Retin A

4.1

Retin A Cream Each g of cream contains: tretinoin 0.01%, 0.025%, 0.05% or 0.1% in a bland, hydrophilic base. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, isopropyl myristate, polyoxyl (40) stearate, purified water, sorbic acid, stearic acid, stearyl alcohol and xanthan gum. Retin A Gel Each g of gel contains: tretinoin 0.01% or 0.025%. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, ethanol undenatured and hydroxypropyl cellulose. Retin-A Liquid (0.05% Tretinoin w/w) polyethylene glycol 400, butylated hydroxytoluene and alcohol (denatured with tert-butyl alcohol and brucine sulfate) 55%

on 2/16/2008 9:07:00 PM

I've used Retin A for years for everything/sun damage, pores, wrinkles, and yes, acne. I still get the deep hormonal cysts occasionally but am trying antibiotics for those. I've used this for so long I can't imagine not using it. I did quit for awhile, and I did notice my wrinkles looking deeper/especially the smile lines between your nose and mouth. It's not an overnight improvement, but it does work which is more than I can say about most OTC products!

on 2/15/2008 1:37:00 PM

I recently decided to do something about the hyper pigmentation on my face. After much research I decided Retin-A was the way to go. (Thank you MUA!) The first three weeks were brutal and I thought my face was going to fall off completely but then it happened: the glow. It was back. Numerous people have actually complimented me on my brighter complexion. There has been lightening of the brown spots as well as a very noticeable improvement in the texture of my skin. In Ireland I pay about 30 for a tube of Retin-A that I used to pay twice as much for in the States. Considering Oil of Olay Total Effects is just about a tenner lower in price, this is a much better and effective treatment. Highly, highly recommended.

UPDATE: I forgot to renew my prescription and quit using this for about 2 months. During this 2 months my skin's hyperpigmentation increased and I started to get spots from the stress I was under during this time. I went back to my GP and got another prescription. It was awful to go through those first three weeks but it is nice to be back on track again with glowing skin that again has clarity to it! Will not allow my prescription to lapse again.

on 2/8/2008 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I'm back on it! I was prescriped tretinoin .05% 3 years ago and stopped using it after 6 wks (my skin was clear, I got confident, and stopped using it<---CRAZY). Recently my skin has been acting up and nothing OTC has helped too much. Then I remembered that I had a prescription for Retin-A. I pulled it out of my stash and I'm using it again. This time I'm going to stick with it not only for acne, but also for its anti aging properties since I'm almost 30 y/o. It's time that I take some preventative measures, ya know? It works, but not overnight.

on 1/30/2008 12:33:00 AM

Eyes: Violet

I first tried this to erase red acne marks that showed up when I exercised. I never really saw them until I was at the gym and they covered my face when I got sweaty and red. It certainly got rid of it, although not completely. I've only been on it a year. Reading skin board, magazines and notepads taught me this is the only ingredient in skincare that reduces the signs of photoaging. I do not know if I look younger than when I started, or if I'll look young for years to come. I feel it can be subjective, but I like how this prescription drug makes me confident that I am improving my present and my future.

I order from alldaychemist.com- an amazing, AMAZING deal. I use super-powerful 0.1% gel so that I'm always red and peeling, even when I buffer. Perhaps I should alternate the usage.

I still have a lot of questions though. Like, after I apply, do I really have to turn the lights off and go to sleep? Should I alternate nights? Do I have to use a scrub to cleanse in the morn, can't I use water and cloth? Oh well, its better to play it safe. This is hard work, but its the best out there.

on 1/29/2008 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a great product for anti aging! I've been using it for a year or so. Along with a diligent skin care routine, my skin has really improved. I am 34 and don't have acne (maybe three or four bumps a year), but I've started to notice the effects of spending my 20's in the sun.

One thing...although my skin is somewhat oily in areas this does dry it out horribly if I use it more than a few times a week. I have to cut back even more in the winter.

on 1/29/2008 3:02:00 PM

This review is based on my use of Retin-A as an anti-aging treatment. I don't have adult acne aside from an occasional breakout, so I admit this may not be useful to you if you're interested in it for that (its intended) purpose.

I believe Retin-A is the gold standard in anti-aging skin care. It's the one with tons of research behind it--conducted by real, independent scientists--and the one with big benefits. This is the real deal as far as retinol products go. Its one drawback is that many women's skin can't handle its side effects.

I realize some women will never be able to tolerate the peeling, redness, etc., but if you're on the fence, I can tell you that the peeling does abate eventually for many people. It's important to make sure your skin is completely dry before applying. You can also start with a very low concentration of tretinoin, moisturize before and after, and start out twice a week only.

The most visible benefits of Retin-A are related to faster cell renewal: clearer skin, smaller-looking pores, fading of discoloration, reduction in fine lines, and smoother texture. It may take several months of faithful use to see dramatic improvement, but I would say it's more than worth waiting for.

Research now strongly suggests that long-term use of Retin-A helps maintain and build new collagen. I think all women (who can tolerate it) should use Retin-A from their teens or twenties onward, and that it's probably the best thing you can do for your skin after protecting it daily with an antioxidant serum and broad-spectrum sunscreen. (I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that you must wear daily SPF while using Retin-A, or you're doing yourself more harm than good.)

For me, this product has been transforming and has taken years off my face, particularly by fading discoloration and shrinking pores (in appearance). The long-term collagen building benefits are exciting too, although it will be years .

I can't go as far as to say I'm 36 and look like I'm 23, like one lucky girl who posted here. (By the way, there are SO many factors that determine a person's apparent age, including her fitness, genetics, hairstyle, clothes, that it's hard to pin someone's youthful looks on her skincare regimen alone.) But I'm 33 and people are usually very surprised to find out I'm not in my twenties--and that DIDN'T happen so much before Retin-A. Not really a controlled experiment, but there ya go. ;)

on 1/26/2008 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I use this to keep my face under control. It dosen't keep it totally clear but better than with out it. I,ve used this for a little over a year. I just wish it would keep it totally clear. Still working on that. It does dry out your skin. Add moisture!! I'm still trying to perfect my routine.

on 1/20/2008 9:26:00 PM

Love this product but you need to be patient and diligent, use of this will produce lovely smooth dewy skin. I have been on this for a year and absolutely love it. In the beginning it bought out all imperfections from under my skin and it looked horrible for the first 2 months, then it began to dry out an hooo the flakes of peeling skin for about 3-4 weeks. But then I noticed about 5 months into the treatment my skin was very evenly toned and started to smooth out wonderfully. After getting over the hump my skin today is so smooth and perfectly toned, the makeup just glides on my skin so beautifully..OH and I always use sunscreen...this is a MUST...as my dermatologist recommended. But I have always used sunscreen and was never a beach bunny since I was 16..so lucky for me no wrinkles yet(i am 49 turning 50 this year)..knock on wood..I know its unavoidable but I will fight to the end..loLL!!

on 1/16/2008 11:19:00 AM

This is the only HG product out there!
Pity you can only get it as a RX-drug:(
This is the only thing that can work to do something for your skin (beside a well-formulated sunscreen, of course).
It does work in the dermis and the epidermis, while cosmetics or OTC drugs can only have any effect in the epidermis (upper-layer of the skin). It does boost existing collagen production and frees the receptors from blocking collagen production (UVA blocks collagen production and destroys existing collagen-fibers). So you can say it repairs what is destroyed during the day. It is proven as an anti-oxidant (Tretinoin=Vit.A).
It has numerous side effects (hence it is not an OTC drug) but the results talk for themselves. Smoother younger looking skin, more contoured, less lined, even coloured, and in general a younger-looking skin with an overall glow.
It is said that it makes the skin behave like young, healthy skin.
Everybody should use it from late 20s every night after cleansing a pea size amount all over the face+eye area. + High SPF during the day and avoiding sun exposure!
Extensive research showed that usage 2-3 times a week maintains results; every night usage makes that skin improve continuously.
It takes about 52-150 weeks to see dramatic results but it is worth waiting for! They have seen similar results with 0.05% and 0.025% concentration of the creme.(So more does not necessarily mean better! Maybe only more irritations?)
My personal experience is that now at soon 38 I look younger than when I was 26! People believe I am in my early 20s.(Started using it at 28, in the beginning 2-3nights a week and after a year every night ever since).
For more medical info on side effects and results see:

on 1/14/2008 8:40:00 AM

My face has broken out pretty badly since I was ten or eleven (I'm thirty-six now). My family doctor prescribed Retin A Micro several years ago, and all it did was dry my face. In desperation, I went to a fabulous dermalogist who prescribed the generic version of Retin-A (super cheap!). I have lots of sun damage, too, so he also gave me a prescription for Tri-Luma, which promptly took care of any freckles or dark spots.

The Retin-A has worked wonders for me. Yes, it can be drying, but there are a few tricks to limit that. First, don't use it every night. If your face feels at all raw or sensitive, wait another night or two. I can tell after applying my eye cream; if my eye cream feels sensitive or reddens at all, I'll wat on the Retin A. Also, don't apply until at least one hour after you've washed your face to prevent sesitivity.

Please don't be afraid of the dryness that might occur after using this product. There are ways to control it, especially after being on it for a while and getting used to how your skin will react to it and responding in kind. It has never made my face break out. My skin finally has the smooth texture I always wanted. I just wish I had seen a dermatologist sooner.

Popular Treatments (Face)