Retin A

4.1

Retin A Cream Each g of cream contains: tretinoin 0.01%, 0.025%, 0.05% or 0.1% in a bland, hydrophilic base. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, isopropyl myristate, polyoxyl (40) stearate, purified water, sorbic acid, stearic acid, stearyl alcohol and xanthan gum. Retin A Gel Each g of gel contains: tretinoin 0.01% or 0.025%. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, ethanol undenatured and hydroxypropyl cellulose. Retin-A Liquid (0.05% Tretinoin w/w) polyethylene glycol 400, butylated hydroxytoluene and alcohol (denatured with tert-butyl alcohol and brucine sulfate) 55%

on 2/29/2008 6:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I am using the 025% gel form of Retin-A, my experience with this is a bit frustrating in the beginning because it caused me to have bad purging. I stayed on it since I figured oh well what could be worst than already having bad skin. After 4 months of every other third night usage my skin can now tolerate every night use although I do buffer it with Cetaphil Lotion otherwise it is still irritating to use alone.

on 2/25/2008 2:10:00 AM

best thing ever that I tried. It did take a long time for results to be seen. usually around several months. and i experienced the initial breakouts too.. my skin was dry, irritated, red but i kept using the treatment. my advice is if these conditions get too serious, see ur dermatologist and tell him/her to prescribe a lower dose of the product or use it less often like every other night. but to really know if it works for u is to stick it out for the whole recommended time.
but i found that after using it for a year, my skin started to break out again, i'm not sure if it was my skin getting used to it or something.
my health plan pays for it. so it's completely free =)

on 2/22/2008 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I used Retin-A cream 0.1% for 2 months and unfortunately all it did was cause excessive irritation and clog my pores.

If you have sensitive skin I'd say go for a good OTC retinoid or Differin. If you're prone to clogged pores make sure you go for the gel version.

on 2/17/2008 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Retin A is great. I have been using it for over 10 yrs. A little goes a long way!
I am 33 but people think I look like I am in my late 20's!
I wish it was avalible OTC!
its a great product but some people get redness and peel.
Also need to wear sunscreen if you are using it!

on 2/16/2008 9:07:00 PM

I've used Retin A for years for everything/sun damage, pores, wrinkles, and yes, acne. I still get the deep hormonal cysts occasionally but am trying antibiotics for those. I've used this for so long I can't imagine not using it. I did quit for awhile, and I did notice my wrinkles looking deeper/especially the smile lines between your nose and mouth. It's not an overnight improvement, but it does work which is more than I can say about most OTC products!

on 2/15/2008 1:37:00 PM

I recently decided to do something about the hyper pigmentation on my face. After much research I decided Retin-A was the way to go. (Thank you MUA!) The first three weeks were brutal and I thought my face was going to fall off completely but then it happened: the glow. It was back. Numerous people have actually complimented me on my brighter complexion. There has been lightening of the brown spots as well as a very noticeable improvement in the texture of my skin. In Ireland I pay about 30 for a tube of Retin-A that I used to pay twice as much for in the States. Considering Oil of Olay Total Effects is just about a tenner lower in price, this is a much better and effective treatment. Highly, highly recommended.

UPDATE: I forgot to renew my prescription and quit using this for about 2 months. During this 2 months my skin's hyperpigmentation increased and I started to get spots from the stress I was under during this time. I went back to my GP and got another prescription. It was awful to go through those first three weeks but it is nice to be back on track again with glowing skin that again has clarity to it! Will not allow my prescription to lapse again.

on 2/8/2008 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I'm back on it! I was prescriped tretinoin .05% 3 years ago and stopped using it after 6 wks (my skin was clear, I got confident, and stopped using it<---CRAZY). Recently my skin has been acting up and nothing OTC has helped too much. Then I remembered that I had a prescription for Retin-A. I pulled it out of my stash and I'm using it again. This time I'm going to stick with it not only for acne, but also for its anti aging properties since I'm almost 30 y/o. It's time that I take some preventative measures, ya know? It works, but not overnight.

on 1/30/2008 12:33:00 AM

Eyes: Violet

I first tried this to erase red acne marks that showed up when I exercised. I never really saw them until I was at the gym and they covered my face when I got sweaty and red. It certainly got rid of it, although not completely. I've only been on it a year. Reading skin board, magazines and notepads taught me this is the only ingredient in skincare that reduces the signs of photoaging. I do not know if I look younger than when I started, or if I'll look young for years to come. I feel it can be subjective, but I like how this prescription drug makes me confident that I am improving my present and my future.

I order from alldaychemist.com- an amazing, AMAZING deal. I use super-powerful 0.1% gel so that I'm always red and peeling, even when I buffer. Perhaps I should alternate the usage.

I still have a lot of questions though. Like, after I apply, do I really have to turn the lights off and go to sleep? Should I alternate nights? Do I have to use a scrub to cleanse in the morn, can't I use water and cloth? Oh well, its better to play it safe. This is hard work, but its the best out there.

on 1/29/2008 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a great product for anti aging! I've been using it for a year or so. Along with a diligent skin care routine, my skin has really improved. I am 34 and don't have acne (maybe three or four bumps a year), but I've started to notice the effects of spending my 20's in the sun.

One thing...although my skin is somewhat oily in areas this does dry it out horribly if I use it more than a few times a week. I have to cut back even more in the winter.

on 1/29/2008 3:02:00 PM

This review is based on my use of Retin-A as an anti-aging treatment. I don't have adult acne aside from an occasional breakout, so I admit this may not be useful to you if you're interested in it for that (its intended) purpose.

I believe Retin-A is the gold standard in anti-aging skin care. It's the one with tons of research behind it--conducted by real, independent scientists--and the one with big benefits. This is the real deal as far as retinol products go. Its one drawback is that many women's skin can't handle its side effects.

I realize some women will never be able to tolerate the peeling, redness, etc., but if you're on the fence, I can tell you that the peeling does abate eventually for many people. It's important to make sure your skin is completely dry before applying. You can also start with a very low concentration of tretinoin, moisturize before and after, and start out twice a week only.

The most visible benefits of Retin-A are related to faster cell renewal: clearer skin, smaller-looking pores, fading of discoloration, reduction in fine lines, and smoother texture. It may take several months of faithful use to see dramatic improvement, but I would say it's more than worth waiting for.

Research now strongly suggests that long-term use of Retin-A helps maintain and build new collagen. I think all women (who can tolerate it) should use Retin-A from their teens or twenties onward, and that it's probably the best thing you can do for your skin after protecting it daily with an antioxidant serum and broad-spectrum sunscreen. (I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that you must wear daily SPF while using Retin-A, or you're doing yourself more harm than good.)

For me, this product has been transforming and has taken years off my face, particularly by fading discoloration and shrinking pores (in appearance). The long-term collagen building benefits are exciting too, although it will be years .

I can't go as far as to say I'm 36 and look like I'm 23, like one lucky girl who posted here. (By the way, there are SO many factors that determine a person's apparent age, including her fitness, genetics, hairstyle, clothes, that it's hard to pin someone's youthful looks on her skincare regimen alone.) But I'm 33 and people are usually very surprised to find out I'm not in my twenties--and that DIDN'T happen so much before Retin-A. Not really a controlled experiment, but there ya go. ;)

Popular Treatments (Face)