Ecotools retractable kabuki

4.6

on 4/27/2009 2:24:00 PM

What is up with EcoTools? They are kicking butt. I friggin love them, well at least the only ones I have. I just got the kabuki because I have been using mineral foundation lately and could not find the right brush for it. I did not have anything, dense, soft or big enough for a nice coverage. I heard good things about the kabuki, so I gave in. I have no desire to purchase the MAC 182, which I was going to buy very soon. I think I will get it eventually to have as part of my pro brush collection, but I will continue to use the Ecotools kabuki for daily use, especially to go. I keep it in my purse, but I miss it when I am at my vanity (too lazy to get up and get it) so I am wondering if I should keep it with my makeup or to buy another one. It just as soft as the blush brush if you have that, but denser and a bit shorter. It does such a nice job buffing product into your skin, while using less! I love it! Keep it up Ecotools!

on 4/25/2009 11:36:00 PM

This kabuki brush is one of the best I've used!

-Synthetic bristles are super soft, and the head is compact.
- It works wonders when buffing/blending mineral makeup.
-you don't use as much product with synthetic brushes.
- these are made so well; I wash mine about twice a week, and I haven't had to replace them yet, after many months. The ends don't split, no hairs come loose, and the brush still maintains its original shape.
- The price for this quality can't be beat. I know it was less than $15 for this style brush.
- All the products in this line (as you may have gathered by the name) are used from environmentally-friendly materials, like sustainable and durable bamboo.
- All the products in this line are animal-cruelty free and do absolutely no animal testing.
- This particular brush is extra easy to bring with you for traveling, since it retracts and then you can cover the brush opening with the lid. You could even load the brush up with powder and then retract it to have it ready later for touch-ups.

Cons:
-The only drawback that bothers me a little about this particular brush style in their line is the fact that when I wash it, I then have to wait almost TWO DAYS before the bristles are dry again. I know it's because the bristles are so compact, but I wish I could use it every day. I suppose I could get two...I am considering that, but I actually have been using the kabuki some days, and when the kabuki is air-drying, I use a powder/blush brush in their line for my mineral loose powder. That works well enough for me to recommend both brushes . They are both great quality.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

on 4/23/2009 11:23:00 PM

I love this brush. As many have commented: it is very soft and portable. But what I love about it most is I can control the density: when I want it fluffy, I just use it as it is, when I want it denser, I pull the alluminium insert up half way to the top, more or less depending on how dense i want. So it cen be very versatile.

on 4/23/2009 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Very very good substitute for my mac 182. I purchased this after i got my beloved 182 and would trade neither for the other. It is dirt cheap and it does a great job of distributing powder evenly across my face for more coverage for example if i am applying my studiofix powder. I have yet to experiment with other brushes from this line but will shortly as i love variety even if i have the same brushes in another brand, highly recommend.

I have the too faced kabuki which i adore, but i wanted to get this as well. They are very much alike aside from the way they look, and i believe TF one has longer bristles. I actually find myself liking this one more at times it seems a lil fluffier? it applied power wonderfully and is heavenly soft. I love the retractable aspect of it since i can put it anywhere knowing it is safe. I rotate between my TF one and Ecotools one since they do take longer to dry (TF takes way longer). IF u r thinking about buying the TF one or this one i say save yourself the extra 18 $s and get this one since the pretty flowers on the TF one will soon b gone :)
I LOVVVEEEE ecotools SOOO much :)

on 4/15/2009 11:41:00 PM

This brush is fantastic! The best drugstore brush I have ever used, and better than most high-end brushes I have used.

EDIT: I've had to reduce my rating of this brush because the last two that I have bought broke immediately after purchase. The quality has been reduced and I've stopped buying them.

This brush is dense and very soft. The density and light weight of the brush give the user a lot of control- you can pick up a small or large amount of product, as you choose. The dense bristles are the softest I have ever felt on any kabuki, but they have body and a firm consistency overall. I also like the retractable feature.

As soon as I got it home I used it to apply some MAC Studio Fix. I chose to pick up only a small amount of product, and the brush gave me perfectly smooth, even, translucent coverage. It was very quick an easy- no endless buffing.

My only criticism of the brush itself is that the brush head is a little small; I think a slightly larger size would be better for applying powder. But it's still a great brush and the size makes it versatile- it's not too big to use for blush or bronzer.

I rated this as "dirt cheap" because it was only $10 and the quality is amazing. It is far superior to comparably-priced brands like Essence of Beauty. The packaging was not great- removing the brush was somewhat difficult and unless done carefully, could damage the bristles. But I don't think packaging is very important in this case as the brush is retractable and has a cover.

Overall I am pleased with this brush and would purchase it again.

on 4/12/2009 5:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I absolutely cannot express how awesome this brush is. Buffing is a breeze and applying powders is so, SO easy. The hairs are super soft and dense, and you can just chuck this brush into your bag since it's retractable, which is AWESOME. Just love love love this brush! Will definately repurchase if something happens to my current one.

on 4/8/2009 1:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've never bought anything so environmentally friendly before for makeup. This brush is so awesome and soft. At first I was seriously considering getting the Too Faced retractable kabuki after reading reviews here I decided to get this one. It was made of synthetic hairs and very soft and dense. I never thought I can get a good quality kabuki brush for less than $30. This is it!! It applies my mineral foundation flawlessy works better than the bare essentials "scratchuki" brush. Very travel friendly which why I love it!! I would repurchase again.

Packaging is the best I've ever seen even, the pouch used to hold the brush is reusable.

on 4/7/2009 10:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Add me to the list of fans of EcoTools brushes! I have all of the other EcoTools brushes and I absolutely love them. They're all soft, Taklon bristles that are uber-soft and do not shed. The retractable Kabuki is no exception and I was thrilled when it became available at Walgreens. I love the fact that you can retract the brush depending upon the application that you want. Give this a try if you're looking for a portable Kabuki with its own case and cover.

on 4/3/2009 4:36:00 PM

LOOOOVE this brush!!! It is sooooo soft and love that its retractable so you can throw it in your purse. Get it if you see it!!!

Ps. Person below me, are you retracting the bristles back into the handle before putting the cap on? You dont put the cap over the bristles! :o)

Popular Makeup Brushes