December 22, 2014 | 1772 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2011 11:51:00 AM More reviews by carat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this product. Yes, it is expensive, but it I also use it as a primer. I tend to justify primers and their costs. You might not wear the same particular eyeshadows every single day, but I wear this every time I wear eye makeup.

I found it really made my eyeshadow colours pop. It made me want to branch out and try the other shades they have (Rubanesque, etc.)

I found it worked really well with MAC shadows, but it didn't work well with my Maybelline or Wet 'n Wild eyeshadows. I didn't have any other high end eyeshadows in my collection.

Where I live in Canada the weather ranges from very hot and humid to very cold and dry and my eye makeup lasted throughout.

The packaging is great, the glass container fits in your makeup bag or purse easily and you can get to all of the product. It lasted a long time-- I bought it a year ago and only recently noticed a change in quality and consistency and didn't get anywhere near the bottom of the jar. It began to dry out and become cakey. I'm not sure what the shelf life of this product should be, but I don't share products and do routine "smell checks" to see if it's gone off.

I switched to TFSI just to give it a try and was in Sephora for something else anyway, but I would go back to MAC and purchase it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2011 1:36:00 AM More reviews by SandieJackson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this! I never really needed to use an eye primer but decided to try this on my NW15 skin and i love how it makes my eyeshadows pop way more than i thought possible! Will probably be using this for the rest of my life, i also the love glass packaging!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2011 3:51:00 AM More reviews by Scarlet1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the first primer/eyeshadow product I have ever bought so I don't have much to compare it to. I seem to use it everyday and it provides a nice canvas to put other shades on. The packaging is great and you get a lot of product. Will last for a long time. I would like to try some of the other colors like Folie and Groundwork and use them for eyeshadow over this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by totoro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't think this is a bad product, it's just not for me. MAC describes it as a very pigmented cream shadow that dries to a "vibrant" finish. I love the idea of cream shadows that dry once applied. I've used--and loved Clinique's two formulas, touch-tint and touch-base; I've also had reasonably good luck with Benefit's creaseless cream shadows. One thing that's hard to find, however, is a matte nude colored version of those products that I can wear. Enter, MAC Paint Pot in Painterly. In theory, it fit the bill. The M.A. at Saks put it on me, and I thought it looked okay; yet I had misgivings about buying it without first doing a "test drive" outside. Misgiving: 0. . . Impulsive Urge to Buy: 2. Alas, I left the store with two paint pots, one in Painterly and the other in Bare Study (which I actually like better than Painterly). The Saks here in Austin has a return policy that is less than friendly (literally), so I never returned Painterly despite the fact that it just doesn't serve any function for me and so it serves a life sentence among my other makeup outcasts without being used. The reasons I don't really like it: I find the texture too thick, and the color is too dark for me to wear as a nude natural shadow. The effect on me is a sort of thick muddy appearance. If I try to wear it as a base, and layer shadows over it, they end up looking thick and cakey, and the paint pot underneath changes the color of my shadows. But don't let my review dissuade you; a lot of people apparently love this. The color would be a perfect nude "no makeup" look for those in the middle skin-tone range (not extremely pale or dark), Application is also key; it must be applied very sparingly and blended well with a brush.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2011 9:06:00 PM More reviews by honeylustre

I use Painterly on pretty much a daily basis to cover the veins on my eyelids. It works well for that, but I still have to use primer under it or it will crease within an hour. I have seen so many people use it AS a primer, and it just doesn't work for me in that respect. With primer under it, it lasts a few hours, with primer under and shadow over, basically all day. But I wish I didn't have to go through those steps to get it t last. So people with oily lids will probably not be able to use this on its own. A great alternative, which lasts about 6 hours on me with no primer, shadow, or creasing are MUFE Aqua Creams! Those are great.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2011 10:51:00 PM More reviews by arleanxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My friend that works at Mac got me this when I told her I needed an eyeshadow primer. I use it only when I absolutely need it because I'm latina with a pinkish undertone and this color sorta makes me feel like my eyelids feel and look ashy lol but it does hold the colors

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2011 9:33:00 AM More reviews by annia316

At first I really struggled buying this because the price is really high for such a small pot. But I took my chances and now I am a believer! I am sooo glad I bought this pain pot! I got those small blueish veins on my eyelids .. I really hate those. I always tried to cover them with a nude eyeshadow by Alima (Blonde). It worked for me but it wasn't the best solution. Painterly is for me the best solution to this problem :) It lasts all day long and I really have fun applying it. I found the ELF Eyeshadow brush working best for me for this product. I will sure buy this paintpot again! Also eager to try the other shades now (soft ochre I.E.)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2011 4:54:00 AM More reviews by erodrig44

I have been using groundwork for the past couple years and am finally running out, but I wanted something a little lighter in color. Tested this out several times at the counter and just wasnt loving it. I didn't like the texture. Then the girl gave me a sample to try for a while...I haven't picked up groundwork since. Although I have to be careful not to put too much on, I love how this evens out my eyelid skin tone. It doesn't hide the veins as well as groundwork, but I love the creaminess and it makes my makeup stay true to color all day. Will def be buying this next!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/20/2011 5:50:00 PM More reviews by natalieshusterman

I was looking for a product to prevent creasing with eyeshadows and to create a neutral base for days when I wanted to look more pulled together. I'm fair with yellow undertones and Painterly was a bit ashy on me, but with the right amount of blending it wasn't a problem. While I liked the creamy consistency and neutral color, I was put off by the fact that it did in fact crease. I mean, the whole point of the product is to prevent creasing, right? Because I was dying to give Painterly the benefit of the doubt, I tried blotting my lids first, applying less, applying more, blending, using with and without shadow, and nothing worked. Maybe it's just me (and according to the MAC girl, it basically is, haha), but it simply didn't do as promised. You could definitely use a primer before, but that seems silly. Two primers doesn't make one right.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2011 4:00:00 PM More reviews by princessglam

for reference i am asian with yellow undertones and an NC35. Ive been doing alot of research before i bought this particular pain pot. Ive been torn between painterly and soft ochre! everyone says soft ochre is for people with yellow undertones! But for some reason painterly looked better on me. Soft ochre was too yellow, i felt like a banana! lol and paint pots are good base and primers! love them! they never creased on me! idk why people say it creases. its creamy but it dries really good on the lids. i have been using UDDP and after i found this, i never went back to using it. UDDP doesnt allow me to blend much, and paint pots do! i dnt use UDDP under the paint pot coz it pretty much holds itself well! definitely will buy over and over again!